Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco in Bantry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

black47 wrote: »
    Saw that GW Biggs/O'Keeffee's have lodged a planning to build a whole new store on the other side of the the slob from the Maritme Hotel. What are the bets that they'll never build it unless tesco goes ahead
    You will get no takers on that bet in Bantry.No sign of any work on site as at 3 30 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Keep up the info guys, nice to hear about it from abroad. Was even thinking about applying for Tesco should it get built before Christmas, which is looking unlikely at this moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Keep up the info guys, nice to hear about it from abroad. Was even thinking about applying for Tesco should it get built before Christmas, which is looking unlikely at this moment.

Latest news from what i hear is that the developers are trying to beat down the landowners price as the site value would have dropped significantly from when they first agreed to buy. She's owns ROWA next door, is independantly wealthy, and has no intention of dropping the price.

Stalemate all around at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Hardly a word about the place in town atm,still no start on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Latest news from what i hear is that the developers are trying to beat down the landowners price as the site value would have dropped significantly from when they first agreed to buy. She's owns ROWA next door, is independantly wealthy, and has no intention of dropping the price.

Stalemate all around at the moment.

Seeing as they have been there for 54 years, I don't think they will be a push over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 sports bantry

A very interesting post. Just shows that there is room for everyone and the main benefit will be to the consumer

Just one problem with the new proposed move for Super Value, the council car park as is called is not what it seems , as the Community owns this piece of ground, Council only leases this area on five year roll-over, two of the five years have now elapsed, the people of Bantry should not allow the sale of this area unless the money raised is given to the local Sporting bodies, the Council have never supplied a Community sports field or anything that the local kids can go too, Skibb . Clon,Bandon,all have council granted facility, even Durrus have a Community pitch. This issue needs to be rectified BEFORE any talk of planning is spoken of, Why should THE COMMUNITY CENTRE as all the people of Bantry know this area as, be given as a car-park to any Business who in turn is making money off the same people who own the car-park, good luck to Super Value for trying to better their service to Bantry and I hope they get planning, as long as they pay the people of Bantry for the use, or the sale of the said car-park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Why should THE COMMUNITY CENTRE as all the people of Bantry know this area as, be given as a car-park to any Business who in turn is making money off the same people who own the car-park.

I was with you up until this bit, no idea where you're talking about and I'm from Bantry.

I was with you up until this bit, no idea where you're talking about and I'm from Bantry.
    I'm guessing its the car park on the right as you head down to the railway pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sports bantry

That is right, down towards the Beach where they also recycle Glass etc, a perfect place for an all weather pitch, The Rugby Club- Soccer Club-and the Gaa could share a facility and the Basketball club could also avail of this close season, basically what I am saying is that if the area is sold,it should only be sold with the Community been involved, and if it is not sold, and leased to whoever builds down there the money from sale or lease should go to the above Community sports clubs, as over the last 30 years the local Council has given nothing to keep the kids of this wonderful Town occupied, Council managed to get rid of the old handball ally so who is to say they wont sell the people of the Town short again, again only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

slightly off topic but whatever happened to the Bantry Sports centre? I remember a big draw for a new car to raise funds for the centre, where did the money go? Was meant to be built across from the Westlodge I believe.

Also, why in god's name would Rowa not sell the land beside them? What is the land being used for? Oh yea, NOTHING! It's like Bantry House stopping the development of a cinema all over again for no reason.

Only gripe I'd have against the new Tesco would be that it could be pretty ugly, a lot of trees would have to be cut down. I would hope it would be done as tastefully as possible. Look at Rowa, big potential eyesore yet driving or walking into town, you barely notice them. You can only really notice the entrance.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, the Supervalu planning has gone in on an area that is owned by the ESB and doesn't affect the existing car park. The planning is for a 3 storey building with a basement (For deliveries presumeably) and on site multi storey parking. This would mean that the concerns about community facilities will have to be taken up with the council directly and not the developers

Another source tells me that after much posturing and brinkmanship the landowner and developers are withing an ace of signing the deal to sell the land. This would need to happen quickly if the unit is to have any chance of being ready for Christmas trading.

Interesting times

• Registered Users Posts: 8 celticbouy

heard today that biggs were refused planning for their new supermarket
    down in the old esb yard , hardly suprising, nothing seems to be happening with Tesco ,anybody hear any thring

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Righteous_Bob

No activity at the site unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1 romeri

Another source tells me that after much posturing and brinkmanship the landowner and developers are withing an ace of signing the deal to sell the land. This would need to happen quickly if the unit is to have any chance of being ready for Christmas trading.

Interesting times
    I'm curious about how reliable that info is, given the developer's financial history?

celticbouy wrote: »
    heard today that biggs were refused planning for their new supermarket
    down in the old esb yard , hardly suprising, nothing seems to be happening with Tesco ,anybody hear any thring

The plot thickens. Celticbuoy. Saw on CCC planning website today that the planning has not been refused and a further infomation request has gone out for the Biggs planning. I've previously seen this to mean that the council have a mind to grant it as long as the further information is up to scratch. Don't know whether there are any observations on the file so far. Will ring and check out and post an update

oops sorry about that :( , I don't understand why they are going for planning down there because in the an bord planalla report #239840 it states that they would not look favourably on any development down there [section 8.2.2.13] by the way is the development below the library completely dead in the water

celticbouy wrote: »
    oops sorry about that :( , I don't understand why they are going for planning down there because in the an bord planalla report #239840 it states that they would not look favourably on any development down there [section 8.2.2.13] by the way is the development below the library completely dead in the water
    What development below the library?

It was Hurley's garage sold to Biggs& co now there is a biggs wholesale shop there.They bought some of the back gardens on market street and have enlarged the car park.

mp22 wrote: »
    What development below the library?

It was Hurley's garage sold to Biggs& co now there is a biggs wholesale shop there.They bought some of the back gardens on market street and have enlarged the car park.

There is supposed to be a Lidl or Aldi going in there. Biggs/O'Keeffes supposed to be doing the deal. I'm not sure but I think there is a nationwide understanding between Supervalu and Lidl/Aldi that one won't object to the other in order to keep Tesco/Dunnes out.

This has been rumoured for some time but like everything there's nothing happening at the moment.

romeri wrote: »
    I'm curious about how reliable that info is, given the developer's financial history?

It's about as reliable as any other rumour going around about Tesco. Speculation is rife. I'm aware of the 2 developers financial history. I'd venture to say that 1 of them would still certainly have the €'s to move it on but not the other.

• Advertisement

There is supposed to be a Lidl or Aldi going in there. Biggs/O'Keeffes supposed to be doing the deal. I'm not sure but I think there is a nationwide understanding between Supervalu and Lidl/Aldi that one won't object to the other in order to keep Tesco/Dunnes out.

This has been rumoured for some time but like everything there's nothing happening at the moment.
    There has been a lot of talk about that,one point is the traffic flow in and out of that site would be impossible to manage.

There has been a lot of talk about that,one point is the traffic flow in and out of that site would be impossible to manage.

I think the idea was to go in off bridge street and come out on market st. It would mean a lot of traffic coming up through the town though. Don't know anything about the planning status. Must check it out.

I think the idea was to go in off bridge street and come out on market st. It would mean a lot of traffic coming up through the town though. Don't know anything about the planning status. Must check it out.
    The small walled in car park behind the site that leads on to market street belongs to Kelly & co as far as I know.

The small walled in car park behind the site that leads on to market street belongs to Kelly & co as far as I know.
    I stand corrected, took a walk around there today biggs wholesale car park is extended into the walled in one.

The plot thickens. Celticbuoy. Saw on CCC planning website today that the planning has not been refused and a further infomation request has gone out for the Biggs planning. I've previously seen this to mean that the council have a mind to grant it as long as the further information is up to scratch. Don't know whether there are any observations on the file so far. Will ring and check out and post an update

Heard second hand that there are a number of observations on the Biggs planning.

An Taisce - 2 liner about design and heritage of area
    Tesco Developer-Maybe wants Biggs to use any influence they have to convince tesco site landowner to sell site to him and then he'll withdraw any future objection
    County Architects department - design issues, waste management
    Traveller in temp halting site next door-Complaining about loss of view!

There may be a couple more. Must ring myself.

Heard second hand that there are a number of observations on the Biggs planning.

An Taisce - 2 liner about design and heritage of area
    Tesco Developer-Maybe wants Biggs to use any influence they have to convince tesco site landowner to sell site to him and then he'll withdraw any future objection
    County Architects department - design issues, waste management
    Traveller in temp halting site next door-Complaining about loss of view!

There may be a couple more. Must ring myself.

cant understand why the fraveller would object due to the loss of view,
    what view ? the town clock, the sun rise ,

The cynical answer to that is how much they want to give up said views.

to every body following this thread ,do you think that the tesco will ever be built in bantry ,i am losing hope at the moment , unfortunatelt:mad:

Just back from walking the dog past the site only thing that's been built there is bird nests.Not even a whisper in town about the place.

• Advertisement

Just back from walking the dog past the site only thing that's been built there is bird nests.Not even a whisper in town about the place.

It's hard to believe that the process of trying to rezone the land for Tesco started back in circa. 2007. All those years of effort with rezoning, planning, An bord pleanala appeals and when the developers finally get their planning, nothing happens. Bantry always seems to be 1 step behind every other town in west cork when it should be the premier town.

Advertisement