Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco in Bantry

Options
  • 26-12-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

A new Tesco this time next year and about time too. The Biggs/O'Keefee families have had a stranglehold on retail in the town since about 1850.

A new Tesco shop will always bring a Dunnes or an Aldi/Lidl with it. Rumour has it that the O'Keefees hand has been forced and they will have to move on planning for a new Supervalu unit down off the council cark park by the old railway pier. It can only be good for the town and surrounding hinterland. Two main units with proper car parking outside the door.

The combination of these proposals and the planning gone in for the re-development of the inner harbour with a 230 berth marina will finally put the town on the map. It has always been the premier town in west cork, streets ahead of Bandon or Clonakilty. Just lacking good facilities.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Just to point a couple of things.It was only planning permission that was granted last Friday.The land deal for the site(field past the entrance of Rowa)was done in the boom it is unlikely that tesco will want to pay 4 or 5 year old land prices.There is also talk in town that a concerned group of locals may take the planning permission to the high court.(rumour only)

Having said the above tesco would indeed be a welcome addition to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

It will be definitely built IMO. Even if the developers have to sell it on. There was an article in the Examiner a few days ago saying that it would start construction in 1st quarter 2013 and open by Christmas. When it comes to putting their hands to pay for a high court case, the begrudgers will be found wanting. All hot air. They won't stop it. It will be a cash cow for the town and existing town centre businesses

Little by little Bantry is getting on the map. New sewerage scheme stopped untreated sewerage flowing into the bay. Water supply upgraded and another upgrade planned. State of the art Community and Gaelscoil built. TheTesco scheme will be the catalyst for upparelled growth since the days of Gulf in Whiddy

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Anyone hear anything about Aldi in Bandon, the planning notice has been up for about a year, and I thik it is approved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

How big a Tescos are they talking and where exactly?

Just looked on Google view has Chesterson seals shut down

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

How big a Tescos are they talking and where exactly?

Just looked on Google view has Chesterson seals shut down
    A long time ago.It is a tyre centre now.The size in the planning is 2250sq/m aprox.The site is located on the right next to rowa,the entrance is meant to be where there is a gate just opposite the old road at newtown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

mp22 wrote: »
    A long time ago.It is a tyre centre now.The size in the planning is 2250sq/m aprox.The site is located on the right next to rowa,the entrance is meant to be where there is a gate just opposite the old road at newtown.

Bugger, use to be cool being in a workshop or engine room picking up them pump seals an saying that were I be from

Cheers for the image bit out of town, but seeing as they stopped parking in the square, suppose it makes it easier for everyone

Bugger, use to be cool being in a workshop or engine room picking up them pump seals an saying that were I be from

Cheers for the image bit out of town, but seeing as they stopped parking in the square, suppose it makes it easier for everyone
    It being out of town is what has the small buisness men nervous.You can still park around the square the council numbered the spots a few weeks ago, they have 70.The parking was numbered because it costs the Friday traders €5 per spot per day to trade or park their vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

black47 wrote: »
    They won't stop it.

I'm not so sure, talking to a few locals saying they are confident it wont happen.

An bord pleanala have backed the decision od Cork County council. Even if it went to the high court. The chances of it being overturned are slim.

It's high time bantry moved into the 21st century and escaped the clutches of one supervalu shop

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

If i was a small retailer id be very nervious. Parking there is always a disaster. a new tesco will put them under pressure and will admit not a fan of tesco. People will have less reason to shop in the town in centra and butchers etc. aldi has done damage to the square shopps in dunmanway as people always shop where they can park now they dont go into the square anymore.
    Sv are dear but there quality is good, find tesco veg not same quality. they always have speical offers after increasing the prices few months prior. all retailers do it but tesco more than rest.

my 2 cents

• Advertisement

grange mac wrote: »
    If i was a small retailer id be very nervious. Parking there is always a disaster. a new tesco will put them under pressure and will admit not a fan of tesco. People will have less reason to shop in the town in centra and butchers etc. aldi has done damage to the square shopps in dunmanway as people always shop where they can park now they dont go into the square anymore.
    Sv are dear but there quality is good, find tesco veg not same quality. they always have speical offers after increasing the prices few months prior. all retailers do it but tesco more than rest.

my 2 cents

In fairness some good points raised. The debate about large units v local shops in rural ireland will continue to rage. I just feel that this development will be good for the town and will bring many more people into the town to shop that would previously be heading to Skibb or Dumanway to shop. Once they are in town they can make a day of it and head into the town proper to park and browse around.

At the moment elderly people are doing their shopping in Supervalu and having to wheel their trolleys down the square in wind and rain. This can't continue. A second large shop is needed with proper parking facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

This sounds just like Midleton was, the SV owner use to be on the town council, blocking any other competition for decades. Tesco only got in by buying an old rundown Spar-supermarket, eventually after a few decades they got planning permission granted to build, because as they were allready trading in the town for such a time, that a newer store couldn't impact on the local trade ie SV (who previosly had no problems building thier own new store even taking some public park land for a carpark) but the likes of Dunnes will never get into the town, they have even been refused planning permission 10 miles out of the town.

Supposedly Aldi & Lidl got in because they would go all the way to the European court against unfair trading practices, ie. cartels & town councilers.

And today the overall negative impact is none, they're all making money, more choice, better for all, but for many years we also had small minds holding back the development of the Town.

I actually thought that the Bantry store was allready built, remember hearing about it when I lived in west-Cork, that was 4/5 years ago.

A very interesting post. Just shows that there is room for everyone and the main benefit will be to the consumer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

in Bandon, it was Supervalu who owned the land that Lidl built on (even if its a flood plain). Anyways, the reason was that Lidl brings customers wanting bargains and as they are there, pop in to Supervalu for other items........

mpp, how solid is that rumour about locals taking decision to the high court? Have you heard anything lately. Unfortunately I've heard murmers on same. It would be a disaster if construction is delayed for another year.

Does anyone know if there is a time limit on when an objector can take a judical review after an An Bord Pleanala is made?

Biggs/o'keefee consortium will be behind any judical review if it's taken I'd bet

mpp, how solid is that rumour about locals taking decision to the high court? Have you heard anything lately. Unfortunately I've heard murmers on same. It would be a disaster if construction is delayed for another year.

Does anyone know if there is a time limit on when an objector can take a judical review after an An Bord Pleanala is made?

Biggs/o'keefee consortium will be behind any judical review if it's taken I'd bet
    All quiet at the minute,anyho I walk the dog past the gate that will be the entrance to the site every day.As soon as something starts I will post here about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

then all they would need would be a decent nightclub because Cargo does NOT count! West Cork needs a decent nightclub where ppl want to go. Not just for last call or the last chance shift brigade!

all_smilz wrote: »
    then all they would need would be a decent nightclub because Cargo does NOT count! West Cork needs a decent nightclub where ppl want to go. Not just for last call or the last chance shift brigade!
    Well, every little bit helps!

Latest rumour is that the landowner who owns the ROWA factory adjacent the site and owns the site has changed her mind on selling the land to the developers. It appears that she doesn't need the money

Jesus wept on the cross. Every time the town trys to move forward it's dragged back to the last century again

Latest rumour is that the landowner who owns the ROWA factory adjacent the site and owns the site has changed her mind on selling the land to the developers. It appears that she doesn't need the money

Jesus wept on the cross. Every time the town trys to move forward it's dragged back to the last century again

I dont think that the developers would do all the work they have without having a deal done for the land.ie a signed deal subject to planning permission.IMO

• Advertisement

I dont think that the developers would do all the work they have without having a deal done for the land.ie a signed deal subject to planning permission.IMO

I hope you're right, surely there would have had to have been a legal understanding between both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bigdaddy1963

To many dinosaurs in Bantry who can't stand any outsiders coming in (GET A GRIP MOVE ON !! ) ,thats why the place is stuck in the last century. There will be for 1 a car park which enables you to push your trolley to your car without breaking your neck. The Towns that thrive are the ones who move with the times . I think someone should extend the airport runway & put planning in for a terminal . Ryanair for sure will fly in . More jobs plus we don't have to drive to Cork or Kerry .

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭lisao80

I heard the same thing..it will be a disgrace if it doesn't go ahead, this town is a dump and badly in need of something to come into the town..plus I'm sick of having to go to skibb or dunmanway for my shopping. Bantry SuperValu turns my stomach it's so manky

Just a quick update as of today 19/02/13 no work started at the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Righteous_Bob

Just a quick update as of today 19/02/13 no work started at the site.

I heard there was a digger at the site for a while yesterday so something's happening anyway.

I heard there was a digger at the site for a while yesterday so something's happening anyway.

Top man Righteous, please keep us posted if you hear anymore. Maybe the landowner and the developers have struck a deal

Well I walk past the site every day sure as hell no sign of a digger in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Righteous_Bob

Apparently it was there for a couple of hours in the morning.

I will keep a eye on it.

• Advertisement

Saw that GW Biggs/O'Keeffee's have lodged a planning to build a whole new store on the other side of the the slob from the Maritme Hotel. What are the bets that they'll never build it unless tesco goes ahead

Advertisement