Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heres an idea ..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Extinction wrote: »

TV systems that break today will still be broken on the 27th but do you think the people who call me today want to wait until Thursday for it to be fixed? You might not like it but that's life in the retail/services business.

We're not talking about the self employed.

Biggins wrote: »

Yea, shame on some people possibly getting a chance to earn some overtime rate wages and take money in to ensure that any permanent employment prospects are better enhanced for the new year.

How dare they go into work so that they can try earning some money keep away the FG/Labour money robbers which will bleed us all dry for years to come!

How dare they!

They would be paid for the day off in a perfect world. And most would prefer tomorrow off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

We're not talking about the self employed.

Why not? Are we somehow irrevelant in a discussion about working over christmas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

They would be paid for the day off in a perfect world. And most would prefer tomorrow off.

Sadly the world is not perfect and thus they are faced with ever increasing bills.
    Some I think, are glad to be working so that they can keep these bills further away.

I wish it didn't have to be this way - but people must survive in what way they can these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

Shinaynay wrote: »
    The sh1t you need so much would still be there on the 27th if the shops stayed closed.

I'm not religious whatsoever- but i still indulge in every xmas tradition going and am thinking about my co-workers going to work tomorrow who were in on xmas eve!

I'm a barman. I've worked every 24th, 26th, New Year's Eve and New Year's Day since I was 16. Along with most Paddy's Days, Hallowe'ens and Easter Weekends (except Good Friday obviously). I don't get double time for these shifts. Why aren't you calling for pubs to stay closed for an extra day over Christmas too? Or would that mean you couldn't get a few pints in with your mates? Seriously, if you have a problem with it, don't enter an industry where the busiest time of year is Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

To the bargain hunters who would rather go shopping on the 26th than spend time at home, spare a thought for people like myself who would kill to be at home with family but have to work as the demand is there.

Stay at home, please! Kill the shopping on St Stephens day tradition ( before it starts ) as I can guarantee you that in the near future shops will be open on Xmas day. We've had to cope with ye the last three weeks, now we get one day off and back into madness

If the money isnt there, the employer wont open in future.

xoxox
    Many unemployed people would kill to work Stephen's Day.

Stop fúcking bitching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Yea, shame on some people possibly getting a chance to earn some overtime rate wages and take money in to ensure that any permanent employment prospects are better enhanced for the new year.

How dare they go into work so that they can try earning some money keep away the FG/Labour money robbers which will bleed us all dry for years to come!

How dare they!

P.S.
    A lot of them I suspect, are VERY damn happy that their employer will be there to be open in the future!

You don't have to waffle about FG/labour in every post.

Sadly the world is not perfect and thus they are faced with ever increasing bills.
    Some I think, are glad to be working so that they can keep these bills further away.

I wish it didn't have to be this way - but people must survive in what way they can these days.

Most people who work in retail, like the OP, don't want to work tomorrow. If it was a holiday they wouldn't lose money - just at most a holiday day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    don't enter an industry where the busiest time of year is Christmas.

Yeah OP. There's millions of jobs out there........:rolleyes:

If it's any consolation I've worked a good few Stephen's days meself. I think being slightly pissed by lunch time is mandatory. And, because it's not a real day you can break all the traffic lights on the way into work.

Stop fúcking bitching.

Ah the unemployed argument. You could be shovelling **** with your tongue and somebody would mention how lucky you are not to be unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

squod wrote: »
    Yeah OP. There's millions of jobs out there........:rolleyes:

I never said there was, but if they're happy to have a job, they should be happy to get hours. I've worked with plenty of people who take the piss trying to get time off at Christmas. You generally don't see them on the roster too much in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Most people who work in retail, like the OP, don't want to work tomorrow. If it was a holiday they wouldn't lose money - just at most a holiday day.

Bar people, police, doctors etc probably don't like working NYE or Paddys day. Should they get a paid holiday?

Bar people, police, doctors etc probably don't like working NYE or Paddys day. Should they get a paid holiday?

The emergency services are essential, bar staff are retail. Id be happy if pubs were closed for two days at Christmas.

It's not that long ago when this was the norm. You didn't shop in new years sales until ..... The new years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah and back then you had to drive around for five hours on a sunday before you could find an open shop and god help you if it was past 11pm at night

**** those days
    **** them in the ear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Stop fúcking bitching.

Surely people should be allowed to complain without "the lucky to have a job" arguement being used on them.

You say most people - debatable but I'll take your word for it.
    Even still, another point...

What is better - close up some shops, stay at home and let the business go elsewhere and then see that so those other businesses get greater profits and your own job and employment place lose out?

Its NOT a ideal situation to be working tomorrow but for some it seems, they are damned if they do and possibly damned if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Odysseus wrote: »
    Surely people should be allowed to complain without "the lucky to have a job" arguement being used on them.

Don't know why he's complaining at all,he's in retail,it's the same every year,if working Stephens was a new developement I'd say fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I hope the shops start opening on the 25th December as well, get plenty of time to shop while people are wasting time with thier family.

Why follow the US. The Germans close all shops on Saturday afternoon and that's it for the weekend. Consumers shouldn't always trump worker rights.

• Advertisement

...Consumers shouldn't always trump worker rights.
    No argument from me on that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Why follow the US. The Germans close all shops on Saturday afternoon and that's it for the weekend. Consumers shouldn't always trump worker rights.

Is this really true about the Germans? If it is, it sounds really beautiful.

I remember when I was small shops in town would close for days. Maybe the small shop down the road opened for an hour or two during that week.

I think it's a pity that things have changed with shops opening up so soon after the christmas. I think it would be nice to remain closed at least for one day after the christmas. It's probably only a matter of time before shops don't even bother closing for the xmas. And pubs could follow suite too and open for xmas day (I know there's law preventing them doing this but the pubicans could lobby the government for change). Next door to the uk, pubs are open christmas day.

I think there is something so magical when my village comes to a halt and quietens down on christmas day and remains somewhat quie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

somewhat quietened for st.stephens day too. It will be such a pity to see an end to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I'm working tomorrow and it's ruining my Christmas day with the thought of it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

The fact that people are saying things like 'arent ye lucky you have a job' and 'you should be thankfull for the few hours' , and 'youll be sad when the shops close' : I work 40 hrs a week and my weekly salary NEVER changes. Also no business will collapse from losing one days sales!

Christmas should be spent with family, that is what it is all about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

kneemos wrote: »

Don't know why he's complaining at all,he's in retail,it's the same every year,if working Stephens was a new developement I'd say fair play to him.

It is. The high street has only been opening since around 08/09. The first year only a few opened. Now almost every shop and chain does.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The fact that people are saying things like 'arent ye lucky you have a job' and 'you should be thankfull for the few hours' , and 'youll be sad when the shops close' : I work 40 hrs a week and my weekly salary NEVER changes. Also no business will collapse from losing one days sales!

Christmas should be spent with family, that is what it is all about!!

Quit your moaning and do your job. If you don't like it, change it.

I worked in a bar for years and missed all the big nights as I worked them. After a while I tired of it and instead of bitching or trying to change an industry, I changed the only thing I could, myself and my own career choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Last I checked slavery was illegal in Ireland....

Don't like your job? Get a new one.
    Don't like your hours? Don't work them.

You can't really expect the rest of the country to go out of their way to make your life easier. And there are plenty of people who'd be happy to work extra hours during the holidays, who depend on that income - why should your desires outweigh theirs?

You know what - I think you should quit you job. That would make life easier for someone who is unemployed.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Last I checked slavery was illegal in Ireland....

Don't like your job? Get a new one.
    Don't like your hours? Don't work them.

You can't really expect the rest of the country to go out of their way to make your life easier. And there are plenty of people who'd be happy to work extra hours during the holidays, who depend on that income - why should your desires outweigh theirs?

You know what - I think you should quit you job. That would make life easier for someone who is unemployed.

As has been exhaustively pointed out - there is no extra pay for the extra days. It's just not a holiday.

What's wrong with trying to change an entire industry - a few years ago retail workers did get the two days.

I detest the use if the unemployed to bully the low paid employed, probably most retail workers have spent some time unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

To the bargain hunters who would rather go shopping on the 26th than spend time at home, spare a thought for people like myself who would kill to be at home with family but have to work as the demand is there.

Stay at home, please! Kill the shopping on St Stephens day tradition ( before it starts ) as I can guarantee you that in the near future shops will be open on Xmas day. We've had to cope with ye the last three weeks, now we get one day off and back into madness

If the money isnt there, the employer wont open in future.

xoxox

Doctors, Nurses , paramedics and many many more work all through the holidays..on CHRISTMAS DAY..the ESB etc....You expect those services to be available to your family over Christmas (I assume you want the lights on) but refuse to work yourself that is hypocrytical.

A centra in town stays open Christmas day as the owners are Hindus. You can if you are religious take religious holidays sometimes. Not everyone is Christian.

I appreciate the services being kept open ...i don't consider myself to be Christian.

My mother runs her own business...she will not stop....

If you want the lights and heat on in your family's home over Christmas people have to work and that is that the country could not function unless people did. And that's CHRISTMAS DAY forget the day after.

I like the shops being open..and I shall be shopping.

Oh and I freelance and work for myself from home now. But before I went to Uni i worked on Christmas Eve and on Stephen's day. And Bloody New years.

If people give you their custom through the year you should respect that custom. People know when they are not respected as customers. Tips for staff in Pubs etc or Hairdressers are huge at this time and many WANT to work.

Some people actually might want to work it.9

Where do you work OP??? I will avoid there if you like.

Advertisement