Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

What do you guys make of the Sexton/Murray partnership? Sounds random I know but I thought they both played really well during the AIs also would there be any chance of Paul Marshall getting a call up for the 6 nations? He could be a really useful impact sub

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Kayless wrote: »
    What do you guys make of the Sexton/Murray partnership? Sounds random I know but I thought they both played really well during the AIs also would there be any chance of Paul Marshall getting a call up for the 6 nations? He could be a really useful impact sub

It might depend on if the wife goes for the long honeymoon ;););) He got married on Saturday.

The Sexton Murray partnership is a lot better than it was. I think they've built up a decent understanding of each other recently.

9.Murray
    10. Sexton

with Marshall off the bench on 55/60 if some electricity needed.

I reckon if you told Murray to play the game like he was only going to get 60minutes we might get him back to his more natural speedy game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

9.Murray
    10. Sexton

with Marshall off the bench on 55/60 if some electricity needed.

I reckon if you told Murray to play the game like he was only going to get 60minutes we might get him back to his more natural speedy game.

I think Murray's speed has been fine this season. I don't think him knowing that someone will be coming on for him at 60minutes would make it faster either. That would imply that its been slow because of the security he feels about not coming off, which I don't was the case, even when he was playing badly.

I'd have Marmion ahead of Marshall too, and Reddan.

Paul Marshall needs to at least be in the squad, the guys been on fire for Ulster this season. Coming off the bench at 55-60 mins would speed up our attack, he does this for Ulster I don’t see why he can’t for Ireland in some ways it’s a no brainer Ireland already play a attacking game, with this guy our backs would get a lot more ball to run with

• Advertisement

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    I think Murray's speed has been fine this season. I don't think him knowing that someone will be coming on for him at 60minutes would make it faster either. That would imply that its been slow because of the security he feels about not coming off, which I don't was the case, even when he was playing badly.

I'd have Marmion ahead of Marshall too, and Reddan.

No, it means that he knows he needs to burst balls to get to every ruck and maul that second quicker because he knows that he only has to last 60 minutes.

He should come off after 60 as tired as he would be after 80 normally.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

The 5 second rule may have saved Murray to be honest, looking a lot snappier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Higher wrote: »
    The 5 second rule may have saved Murray to be honest, looking a lot snappier.

5 second rule doesn't make any difference. It only applies to a ruck maybe once or twice a game, and if the scrumhalf is taking 4/5 seconds at every ruck it won't just be the ref telling him to get a move on!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's not like he's always been slow. It was a trait that developed after he broke into the international side. Now it's gone again, hopefully it doesn't come back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Tox56 wrote: »
    5 second rule doesn't make any difference. It only applies to a ruck maybe once or twice a game, and if the scrumhalf is taking 4/5 seconds at every ruck it won't just be the ref telling him to get a move on!
    Just because it isn't applied doesn't mean that its not at the back of his mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

I think Murray could be a lot quicker at times, but then its always tricky to see if the players have the setup ready for a half, in a structured / phased game that Kidney plays. When he gets some urgency, he can be very good, I guess that Reddan just does it a bit more often.

Said it before Reddan and Murray both look better coming on as subs, where the game is asking to be changed, just getting that kind of zip from the off is what we need.

Against Argentina we looked like we knew what we had to do from the get go. Against SA we looked like we were waiting for them to do something, wouldn't put the scrum half in the frame for either result, positive or negative, but when you look at a Pinnear or Genia you just know they are in control... never felt that surety from anyone bar Stringer over the past 10 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Luke Marshall won't be making a 6Ns appearance now anyway, injured and out for 4-6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Luke Marshall won't be making a 6Ns appearance now anyway, injured and out for 4-6 weeks.

When one door closes another opens, step forth Dave McSharry.

When one door closes another opens, step forth Dave McSharry.

Not really seen much of McSharry, just out of interest how good is he in comparison to the likes of Darcy and Marshall? Do you think he's ready for international level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Not really seen much of McSharry, just out of interest how good is he in comparison to the likes of Darcy and Marshall? Do you think he's ready for international level?

Its Kidney so although McSharry has been excellent for Connacht, Declan will pick Darcy and Wallace imo

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't think Kidney will pick Wallace in the squad, I think his time at international level is done. I think Court in the same boat tbh, unless there's injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I imagine McSharry will be treated similar to EOM last year. We had no BOD for the 6 Nations, and Earls + McFadden were the only other options at 13. O'Malley was called up to the extended squad, and played in the Wolfhounds game, but never got into any of the matchday squads.

He played pretty well in that Wolfhounds game, and Earls pulled out before the first game v Wales, but Kidney still went with McFadden at 13 instead. An injury to D'Arcy would make things more interesting from McSharry's point of view, but even then I wouldn't be surprised to see ROG/Sexton as 10/12.

I don't think Kidney will pick Wallace in the squad, I think his time at international level is done. I think Court in the same boat tbh, unless there's injuries.

Hope so, a lot of youth were excellent in the Argentina game but the IRFU management team and board love their 6N and they change lineups at a glacial pace. Wallace is fairness was excellent in a few cameos for Ulster this season especially in defence so it may be just 1 6N too early for McSharry.

Again would love to see Kilcoyne instead of Court but pretty much both scenarios are the same. Two up and comers playing excellent but probably wont be fighting for the International bench position until next season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'd say Court isn't finished yet. I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the 6Ns squad. I think Court not appearing in the AIs had a lot to do with all the prop injuries that Ulster had and Afoa being their only fit experienced prop who had hardly missed a game so far this season.

ssaye wrote: »
    Its Kidney so although McSharry has been excellent for Connacht, Declan will pick Darcy and Wallace imo

Are you saying the same Declan who picked Gilroy, Henderson & McCarthy in the AIs won't pick McSharry because he'd be afraid to take a chance on him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

jm08 wrote: »
    I'd say Court isn't finished yet. I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the 6Ns squad. I think Court not appearing in the AIs had a lot to do with all the prop injuries that Ulster had and Afoa being their only fit experienced prop who had hardly missed a game so far this season.

Court will make the squad but won't play a minute unless Healy or Kilcoyne get injured. I would have Court on the bench myself (although Kilcoyne is improving every week he plays) but I don't think it will happen.

Court's absence from the AIs had little to do with Ulster's injuries, Ireland will act in its own best interests first and foremost, I'm fairly sure you made the same argument about Henshaw before. If Deccie wanted Court ahead of Kilcoyne then he would have been. Can you imagine an IRFU blazer trying to tell Kidney that Court can't play for Ireland because Ulster have a problem? That doesn't make any sense.

Are you saying the same Declan who picked Gilroy, Henderson & McCarthy in the AIs won't pick McSharry because he'd be afraid to take a chance on him?

Yes, he is AFRAID TO TAKE A CHANCE on a uncapped player in the 6N as backup when he has the experience of Darcy and Wallace.

stop this.

It took him 3 years to pick McCarthy (he played in the RWC warm up in Scotland). Dropped him after that, and then picked him when the other senior locks were unavailable.

He had nobody else to choose from when Henderson was chosen. Revise the situation how you wish, but he didn't.

Gilroy was picked 9 months after his form had demanded it.

Don't even try pretend that Kidney has any form in picking players based on good form at Pro level rugby.

It's an utter lie.

stop this.

It took him 3 years to pick McCarthy (he played in the RWC warm up in Scotland). Dropped him after that, and then picked him when the other senior locks were unavailable.

He had nobody else to choose from when Henderson was chosen. Revise the situation how you wish, but he didn't.

Gilroy was picked 9 months after his form had demanded it.

Don't even try pretend that Kidney has any form in picking players based on good form at Pro level rugby.

It's an utter lie.

How good we are and how good we could potentially be are two very different things with Ireland, i believe if we had a coach that picked players on form and per match (with rotation like Leinster do) we'd have a shot at winning the 6 nations

Obviously there are some players that are guaranteed starts for eg Sexton but giving the likes of L Marshall, P Marshall and Henderson a go against italy and scotland would give some of our first team players a rest and thus an advantage going into the bigger games. Why can't Kidney IRFU see this??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Court will make the squad but won't play a minute unless Healy or Kilcoyne get injured. I would have Court on the bench myself (although Kilcoyne is improving every week he plays) but I don't think it will happen.

Court's absence from the AIs had little to do with Ulster's injuries, Ireland will act in its own best interests first and foremost, I'm fairly sure you made the same argument about Henshaw before. If Deccie wanted Court ahead of Kilcoyne then he would have been. Can you imagine an IRFU blazer trying to tell Kidney that Court can't play for Ireland because Ulster have a problem? That doesn't make any sense.

I would imagine if that logic were ever used Leinster might have seen a benefit of it too. That they didn't shows that argument up for what it is. I'm not sure why we all indulge these arguments anyway. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Court is having his best season ever at loosehead. I'd be very disappointed if he's not in squad. I'd argue he is still ahead of Kilcoyne. I actually think he is a better scrummager than Healy, especially on current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

Brewster wrote: »
    Court is having his best season ever at loosehead. I'd be very disappointed if he's not in squad. I'd argue he is still ahead of Kilcoyne. I actually think he is a better scrummager than Healy, especially on current form.

On current form he's after overtaking Healy in the scrumming stakes alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

How good we are and how good we could potentially be are two very different things with Ireland, i believe if we had a coach that picked players on form and per match (with rotation like Leinster do) we'd have a shot at winning the 6 nations

Obviously there are some players that are guaranteed starts for eg Sexton but giving the likes of L Marshall, P Marshall and Henderson a go against italy and scotland would give some of our first team players a rest and thus an advantage going into the bigger games. Why can't Kidney IRFU see this??

Agree except for one point. No player should be guaranteed a place. No matter who you are, no form for club should equal no play.

I think props are a different story though - tournament rules say you have to have prop cover on the bench. Court is the nearest thing to a back-up thighthead that Ulster had against Zebre when the AIs were on. Court benched with Dec Fitzpatrick who has hardly played this season (and seems to be permanently injured). Fitzpatrick wasn't given a minute against Zebre. Court got about 20 minutes at loosehead in the end with John Afoa playing the 80.

Ulster are definately getting their money's worth from Afoa.

And I do believe that the Ireland management don't pull players into the Ireland training squad unless they really need them, particularly during the season.

• Advertisement

Fishooks13 wrote: »
    On current form he's after overtaking Healy in the scrumming stakes alright

Healy not been in the best form as of late but I'd still rate him higher than court, especially with ball in hand. I reckon he will find a bit of form again before the 6 nations likewise for SOB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement