Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminalise Bullying

Options
  • 23-12-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

Under Irish Law bullying as a form of assault remains largely outside prosecution.

Those that are bullied and suffer harm from the activities of bullies - online or actual remain powerless to stop or initiate legal action against the perpetrator(s) for the harm that has been inflicted upon them.

The end result is that many who are bullied feel they have no recourse to reporting and stopping such bullying and a proportion of these sadly go on to take their own lives.

The one law that is the exception deals with persistent victimisation by electronic means, stalking etc is only relevant where it can be proved the victimisation was persistent and where the perpetrator was not normally in regular contact with the victim.

As a result employees in work, students in education etc have no proper legal recourse and are unable to stop or prevent the continuation of such behaviour by perpetrators unless actual physical assault takes place

In the wake of a number of recent high-profile teen suicides linked to online abuse, the Minister for Justice Alan Shatter said laws existed to punish those behind such harassment.
    Mr Shatter has admitted that there were some problems in bringing successful prosecutions against bullies under present legislation, the Non-fatal Offences against the Person Act.
    The difficulties involved proving that the harassment was persistent. Mr Shatter has asked the Law Reform Commission to look at the difficulties and make suggestions for improving the use of the current laws.

Source:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fallout-from-budget-and-cyber-abuse-troubled-late-minister-3334469.html

I believe it is time that bullying as an assault against the person is criminalised to enable those that are bullied to stop such behaviour but also that by making such activities illegal it will act as a deterent to others who would bully others

This has already been done in other countries. It's about time something is done in this country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Or, we could just like, educate people?

• Site Banned Posts: 48 goose_gladwell

was hounded out of a job while overseas as a twenty year old , employer was pathetic in his inability or refusal to deal with the problem head on , most employers pay lip service to the idea of opposing bully , they need to be made aware that their willfull impotence will have consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

was hounded out of a job while overseas as a twenty year old , employer was pathetic in his inability or refusal to deal with the problem head on , most employers pay lip service to the idea of opposing bully , they need to be made aware that their willfull impotence will have consequences

Unfortunately this can be true in some schools too.

• Site Banned Posts: 48 goose_gladwell

mirekb wrote: »
    Unfortunately this can be true in some schools too.

absolutely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*awaits introduction of bullying levy*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

so basically what this wold be used for is arresting people for posting their opinions on a politicians facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Or, we could just like, educate people?

Yes education has its role to play and I get what you are saying but I do not believe that as a solution, education would be suggested as as the sole means of protecting individuals from physical assault for example

Bullying is a direct attack against an individual and is often persistand and insidous and often results in the victim suffering severe harm over an extended period

Bullying is a form of assault - it is an actual psychological assault and just as as physical assault is a criminal act by the same process persistant psychological assault should be also criminalised

where there are those that commit such assault on a person - then we need to have sanctions at least similar in nature to that of other forms of assault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Lone Stone wrote: »
    so basically what this wold be used for is arresting people for posting their opinions on a politicians facebook page.

This is a good point, how would any such law not be abused by absurd allegations.... at the end of the day we're talking about hurting peoples feelings, which is hard to quantify or properly contextualise in any given instance....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

If you can manage to give your opinion in a non-bullying/non-abusive way then you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

"Bullying" is very difficult to define, and also to prove. Ignoring someone can be taken as bullying. If I persistently ignore someone, can I be charged with assault? That's where nanny state laws get ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

No everyone is entitled to an opinion, if someone however starts to direct their opinions in a threatening, vulgar, harassing,intimidating manner then they should be brought to account for their actions.
    I have very strong personal beliefs on a number of current issues, I do not harass anyone with opposing beliefs/opinions. adults should be able to conduct themselves in a adult manner.
    Bullying in schools is more difficult to manage as you are dealing with juveniles but the current system is not protecting the victim and this needs to be addressed.

catallus wrote: »
    This is a good point, how would any such law not be abused by absurd allegations.... at the end of the day we're talking about hurting peoples feelings, which is hard to quantify or properly contextualise in any given instance....

I think it is quite rare for NOONE to be aware of bullying that is going on (be it a co-worker, a fellow student, a family member, etc..). These people need to feel able to speak out against anyone they feel is behaving unfairly to another.

The best cure for bullying is exposure of the behaviour.

BTW I am not just talking any one incident here

Bullying is all to prevalent and is well defined

This is the HSA's definition in relation to places of work
    What is Bullying
    repeated inappropriate behavior, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual‘s right to dignity at work."

But yes just as an individual right to swing a fist ends where another's nose begins so persistent verbal taunting or goading can be considered bullying

An once off response in a given situation would not normally constitute bullying

"Bullying" is very difficult to define, and also to prove. Ignoring someone can be taken as bullying. If I persistently ignore someone, can I be charged with assault? That's where nanny state laws get ridiculous.

KI Bullying has already been defined both in Ireland and internationally
    Some countries have already made the move to criminalise such behaviour

It is bullying as a form of assault. Assault that causes actual harm and as such an offence against the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Will the Government be more inclined to do something about this because of the tragic death's of to young sisters or because of the tragic death of a colleague now brings it right to their door step?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

repeated inappropriate behavior, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual‘s right to dignity at work.

I'm not condoning bullying in any shape or form but this could be interpreted in any way a person could choose

Will the Government be more inclined to do something about this because of the tragic death's of to young sisters or because of the tragic death of a colleague now brings it right to their door step?

Regardless of the reasons its a move in the right direction.
    Nearly everyone if not everyone has been effected by suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

repeated inappropriate behavior, direct or indirect, whether verbal, physical or otherwise, conducted by one or more persons against another or others, at the place of work and/or in the course of employment, which could reasonably be regarded as undermining the individual‘s right to dignity at work.

I'm not condoning bullying in any shape or form but this could be interpreted in any way a person could choose

This definitely fits policy decisions directed against vulnerable groups or individuals. Bullying. There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

If a TD was ignored in the Dail on a daily basis, that could be regarded as bullying, and rightly so. If I walk past the same charity guy on the street every day and ignore him, does that make me a bully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Im all for stopping bullying i was bullied myself when i was a kid in school, but i think criminalizing bullying through social media has more ramifications than stopping bullies it could be easily abused especially in todays climate where their seems to be an increasing attack on social media and how people use it to express themselves rightly or wrongly.

Educating people on how to treat one and other and a more pro active approach from teachers in stopping it in the class room before it gets out of control would go a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

If one of us plebs went and "bullied" a non-pleb we would see swift action against bullying. Whats a non-pleb? Well, if i have to explain that then there's no hope for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Ok, so now we can't hit each other anymore, soon we won't be able to be impolite to each other. I just hope our brethren overseas are keeping up with us in the "being really civilised" stakes, otherwise we're fecked if they choose to pop over for a spot of invading.

Our only defence will be an online petition because we will have become such a bunch of woosies. The Chinese must bust their holes laughing at the stuff we worry about.

How about we just educate our kids that the world is quite tough, people can be nasty and it is a good thing to be able to stand up to bullies ourselves rather than rely on others to do so for us through legislation?

It would have to be proven that the victim was indeed victimised, that they suffered mentally, physically by the actions of another person(s).
    I know you're not condoning bullying and I can see where you're coming from but something needs to be done.
    I was very nearly another suicide victim at the age of 12, if it wasn't for my families intervention I would be dead and not every child has a supportive, capable family unit. Some of these children come from vert vulnerable backgrounds where there could already be mental or physical abuse at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

A few weeks ago Ming was laughed at and jeered in Dáil Éireann when He wanted to make a point about his children been bullied. Will those TD's now publicly apologize for their behavior to him. That behavior could be seen as bullying.

Pottler wrote: »

How about we just educate our kids that the world is quite tough, people can be nasty and it is a good thing to be able to stand up to bullies ourselves rather than rely on others to do so for us through legislation?

There's a lot to be said for this approach! Although, I was brought up to be out spoken and to stand up for myself and was still so badly bullied from the ages of 13-15 that I lost all confidence in myself for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BidillyBo

Would that mean all them slagging Ming Flanagans clothes and shouting over him when hes trying to speak, could have them up in court for bullying??

Obviously It would be up to the courts to decide not the individual

That is the HSA's definition of Bullying - they also state that
    "An isolated incident of the behavior described in this definition may be an affront to dignity at work but as a once off incident is not considered to be bullying."

Obviously the criminalising of such behavior would involve defining this in detail

This has been done elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

mirekb wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for this approach! Although, I was brought up to be out spoken and to stand up for myself and was still so badly bullied from the ages of 13-15 that I lost all confidence in myself for years.
    Much the same here, try being a half german half Irish lad in London with a dublin accent. I got awful grief and even the teachers had a good old go. Long term, it made me waay stronger and resilient, though it was tough at the time. If we wrap everyone up in cotton wool, we get a lot of people who can just not fend for themselves at all. The world is rough and tumble and it is better to face that and adapt rather than to try and change the whole world, somthing that no law will ever achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

As a Child I was severely bullied and it was reported by my parents to teachers and yet it still continued. One day I went into school and at lunch time the name calling started again and I just saw red and proceeded to hammer the daylights out of the bullies who were bullying me there, I knocked one of them out cold, chipped another lads tooth. I was not one bit sorry and when nothing was ever being done about it I just flipped out and my father had told me to always stand up for myself and defend myself and deal with them. Looking back I feel it was the exact right way to handle the situation. I was 13 and when the headmaster went in to save one of them, I turned on him too and was not one bit sorry for it. I was fairly strong and managed to hit him too :eek:

Bullys are scum and if they are getting away with it in School as was happening to me then dealing with it old-skool style as I did is the exact right thing to do. I would do the exact same thing today as an adult as I know how to defend myself. I am not the sort to run and I'd stand my ground and fight.

This was me around 15 years ago

Advertisement