Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback (Please thank this post so we know you have seen it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Yesterday I reported Greebo's following warning in this thread. when he was addressing another member of this forum.

The first line of the warning was all that was needed but instead Greebo goes and makes it personal and borderline defamatory with his next remark. I knew I was wasting my time when I reported his warning because the golf forum is Greebo's show or no show. A quasi dictatorship.

Then to add insult to the poster who Greebo was addressing, he went and deleted his reply to the above stated warning.

Greebo's actions have probably lost yet another good poster and that's a real shame.

After much thought I also reported it, I was hoping Greebo would edit his post to take out the personal sleight on gorfield, but as this hasn't happened I felt it needed reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭gorfield

I also reported it, without reply of any sort.

Clearly his mod practices are not in line with posters expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Actually I reported one of his non-mod posts as it was well out of order. Never heard anything back and the post was never removed. Strange that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

There has been a concerted effort to get me to leave the site for a good while now.

In fairness to GreeBo - he does a great job here and is typically right with me.

But - If I was to give feedback - we have lost way too many great contributors.

Top level golfers (TOP LEVEL)
    Sports Journalist
    Guys who work in the golf industry.

It is only the bloody internet, not that important - but if you actually meet and play golf with the people on here - they love the game as much as you. That is the only reason I stay around - to play golf with other golf nuts.

It is sad that the atmosphere here - in no way does justice to that.

Anyway - keep swinging - don't walk in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

...It is sad that the atmosphere here...

Agree, I use the Bargain Alerts, Tech fora mostly and UK/US based Home Cinema fora and the difference in atmosphere to this Golf forum is shocking.
    I've given feedback on the tone of Mod actions before and what's the point as it is so dictatorial...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

If this is the feedback thread, why was a Mod action required for this post anyhow
    gorfield wrote: »
    Left Hermitage and moved to Clare, now a member in Spanish point i heard.
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Please don't imply things about players or clubs, if you have something to state then state it, otherwise don't.
    You got very upset in the past when people mentioned your name on here in connection with things you had done, afford others the same rights you demanded.

Maybe I'm naive but I just don't get it?? :confused:

slave1 wrote: »
    If this is the feedback thread, why was a Mod action required for this post anyhow

Its in BOLD writing!! You are not supposed to get it. You are to listen and do what your told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yeah I couldn't really find an issue with that one either and the second bit wasn't needed but I wouldn't lose sleep over it or leave the forum if it was directed at me.

I sent Geebo a PM about another in thread warning the other day and to be fair to him he was more than happy to explain it to me over the course of 5 or 6 replies.

I think the moderation has improved over the last year. There will always be people who disagree but the mods can only do their job based on their own interpretation of the charter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

Felexicon wrote: »
    Yeah I couldn't really find an issue with that one either and the second bit wasn't needed but I wouldn't lose sleep over it or leave the forum if it was directed at me.

I sent Geebo a PM about another in thread warning the other day and to be fair to him he was more than happy to explain it to me over the course of 5 or 6 replies.

I think the moderation has improved over the last year. There will always be people who disagree but the mods can only do their job based on their own interpretation of the charter

I agree. Generally it works pretty well. Although I'm not referring to this particular instance, my dealings with GreeBo (which have included a week's ban) have been pretty good.

Its a tough, thankless job but you're only human and bound to make mistakes sometimes.

(You should see some of the commentary over on the After Hours thread. I wonder sometimes whether its moderated at all...)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

I am relatively new to boards, only signed up as it is a good source of information/debate around golf.
    I am amazed at how intense the moderating is in this section.
    it seems to me there are many personal agendas overlooking debates and opinion and the mods have a lot to do with creating that feeling.
    the attack above as shown in post #427 was over the top so I can see there must be history.
    anyway, if posters could post without menace then the mods could monitor without jumping deeply into attack.
    although I love to see the conflict (im a bit sick like that) it would be better for all if mods erased their feelings towards certain posters.

• Advertisement

I am relatively new to boards, only signed up as it is a good source of information/debate around golf.
    I am amazed at how intense the moderating is in this section.
    it seems to me there are many personal agendas overlooking debates and opinion and the mods have a lot to do with creating that feeling.
    the attack above as shown in post #427 was over the top so I can see there must be history.
    anyway, if posters could post without menace then the mods could monitor without jumping deeply into attack.
    although I love to see the conflict (im a bit sick like that) it would be better for all if mods erased their feelings towards certain posters.

Spot on.
    Il spell it out here like i see it. Luckily for me ive been able to play at a relatively good standard, everywhere ive gone or been there's always a few silly people who automatically assume im an asshole, based solely on my ability as a golfer.
    This applies to nearly all low hcap players tbh, countless times you overhear stuff saying oh yer man is a low hcapper, full of his own self importance etc.
    Its a price that has to be paid i suppose.
    However its become clear to me that this Mod has taken pleasure in infracting me on numerous occasions on the smallest of things.
    Do i care?? Nope... Greebo is but 1 person among a nice bunch of people that post here.

Lol.

that is the problem Gorfield , with golf.

Always one prick better than you.

A comedic interlude.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Yesterday I reported Greebo's following warning in this thread. when he was addressing another member of this forum.

The first line of the warning was all that was needed but instead Greebo goes and makes it personal and borderline defamatory with his next remark. I knew I was wasting my time when I reported his warning because the golf forum is Greebo's show or no show. A quasi dictatorship.

Then to add insult to the poster who Greebo was addressing, he went and deleted his reply to the above stated warning.

Greebo's actions have probably lost yet another good poster and that's a real shame.

What is the defamatory remark?
    Gorfield complained to the mod team and instructed us to remove other users posts because they were discussing something that he had done and tweeted about.

Where is the defamation? Where I am implying anything about what he did?
    Its 100% factual, Gorfield complained about someone doing exactly what he was doing in his post.

His followup post was deleted for a number of reasons:
    1) It should be a PM, you dont reply to moderators actions on thread
    2) It was an accusation against a mod. Accusing someone of defamation is tantamount to a legal challenge against boards.ie which is by default a permanent site ban.

He then followed up again and got a red card for exactly the same reason.

The posters own actions caused all of this. There was an on thread warning
    with a reason why the warning was given.

Your (or anyones) reported posts are not a waste of time, they are reviewed and discussed if needed.

Its made because its insinuating things about both a person and a club.
    Its also one that we have received complaints about.

You have to remember that things go on behind the scenes that you have no knowledge of.

Its made because its insinuating things about both a person and a club.
    Its also one that we have received complaints about.

You have to remember that things go on behind the scenes that you have no knowledge of.

Can't say I see any insinuation being honest against a club and no person was mentioned?
    If you received complaints (why, I can't fathom) then fair enough and perhaps that comment could have been made in the post.
    I have to admit I still don't get it but thanks for getting back anyhow.

Actually I reported one of his non-mod posts as it was well out of order. Never heard anything back and the post was never removed. Strange that ;)
    I also reported it, without reply of any sort.

Clearly his mod practices are not in line with posters expectations.
    There is no reply mechanism for reported posts.
    I'm not sure what you guys were expecting here?
    If we, as the mod team, dont want to take any action with a reported post, there is no response, we arent going to reply to each poster who reports something.
    There has been a concerted effort to get me to leave the site for a good while now.

In fairness to GreeBo - he does a great job here and is typically right with me.

But - If I was to give feedback - we have lost way too many great contributors.

Top level golfers (TOP LEVEL)
    Sports Journalist
    Guys who work in the golf industry.

It is only the bloody internet, not that important - but if you actually meet and play golf with the people on here - they love the game as much as you. That is the only reason I stay around - to play golf with other golf nuts.

It is sad that the atmosphere here - in no way does justice to that.

Anyway - keep swinging - don't walk in.
    Sorry, who are you accusing of trying to remove you from this site?
    Your own words are that we havent interacted in over a year, am I using my mod mind powers to push you out now?
    Its in BOLD writing!! You are not supposed to get it. You are to listen and do what your told.
    No, you are supposed to obey the charter.
    Spot on.
    Il spell it out here like i see it. Luckily for me ive been able to play at a relatively good standard, everywhere ive gone or been there's always a few silly people who automatically assume im an asshole, based solely on my ability as a golfer.
    This applies to nearly all low hcap players tbh, countless times you overhear stuff saying oh yer man is a low hcapper, full of his own self importance etc.
    Its a price that has to be paid i suppose.
    However its become clear to me that this Mod has taken pleasure in infracting me on numerous occasions on the smallest of things.
    Do i care?? Nope... Greebo is but 1 person among a nice bunch of people that post here.

How I see it is that you mistakenly think being a good golfer gives you some rights that mere mortal golfers dont get. Thats not how it works Im afraid.
    Why would you bring your handicap into the discussion?
    I dont know you from Adam, only from our interaction via boards.ie.

You get infracted for breaking the rules, just like all the bad golfers do.
    With respect, you need to get over yourself if you think you are being singled out.

I rest my case.

Can't say I see any insinuation being honest against a club and no person was mentioned?
    If you received complaints (why, I can't fathom) then fair enough and perhaps that comment could have been made in the post.
    I have to admit I still don't get it but thanks for getting back anyhow.

Its in a thread about a specific public person, I dont think anyone is under any doubt about who we are talking.

There was also a club directly mentioned in the post.

Again I dont think anyone is under any doubt as to what the implications were for this particular golfer joining this particular club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

So can you confirm how many reports were received about your post Greebo? Can you also confirm what other mods were consulted before you ignorantly decided to dismiss the reports?

Let me guess..... it was just you Greebo wasn't it? And as I said before.... it's your way or no way.

GreeBo.

We are not here for your selectively chosen multi quote game.

We are here to see can you change again.

You did it before.

What actually motivates you.

Me and you are polar opposites. In every way. Except handicap maybe.

But I would never ignore anyone. This should be about being exposed to opposing views and
    Experiences.

I know you don't take on board what others think or do. But if you (plural) are ever going to improve in life, golf - you have to be Open to views and change.

I think you are cracking contributor. But too closed to say maybe or good idea or ill try that.

Anyway keep it up. I respect your views.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

So can you confirm how many reports were received about your post Greebo? Can you also confirm what other mods were consulted before you ignorantly decided to dismiss the reports?

Let me guess..... it was just you Greebo wasn't it? And as I said before.... it's your way or no way.

I dont feel we need to publicise the amount of reported posts on any post.

I fully agree with greebo on this too, its the same rules for everyone here. If the insinuation in that post was made against one of you guys would there be the same reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

How I see it is that you mistakenly think being a good golfer gives you some rights that mere mortal golfers dont get. Thats not how it works Im afraid.
    Why would you bring your handicap into the discussion?
    I dont know you from Adam, only from our interaction via boards.ie.

See this is not ok Greebo. Its not ok as a regular poster and certainly not ok in your capacity as a mod for the forum. You seem to think that the two can be separated when in reality they cannot.

Your style of modding has been touched on before - The fit just does not seem right for a golf forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I dont feel we need to publicise the amount of reported posts on any post.

I fully agree with greebo on this too, its the same rules for everyone here. If the insinuation in that post was made against one of you guys would there be the same reaction?

Of course the amount of reports is not going to be publicized. Who cares about the opinion of the general populous?

And you're completely missing my point... it's not about the warning itself... it's about how Greebo decided to make it personal and borderline defamatory and if you were to read his warning, it would lead readers to doubt the character of another poster.

I'm not going to engage in the usual table tennis replies that get nowhere on here but suffice to say, given the views expressed on here and the "disclosed" amount of reports about Greebo's post, it's a very poor reflection on the moderation of the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Domo1982 wrote: »
    See this is not ok Greebo. Its not ok as a regular poster and certainly not ok in your capacity as a mod for the forum. You seem to think that the two can be separated when in reality they cannot.

Your style of modding has been touched on before - The fit just does not seem right for a golf forum.

For the bit highlighted above, I think it is vital for a mod to be able to post and partake in discussions as a regular user without any thought to their mod capacity.

I don't think it is right to single out a single mod's actions, particularly over a period of time. One mod giving you a card is the same as any other. The way I'd generally look at it is if I was involved on thread with GreeBo and I stray over the line, GreeBo could call me up on it, but it could just as easily be CharlieIRL or any other, but when they're doing that they're not being GreeBo the poster or CharlieIRL the poster, they are being the mod.

There seems to be some things taken personally when it ends up being GreeBo giving the warning/card etc. when they should separate the poster from the mod.

One question for the mods, do ye discuss warnings given etc. and what happens if ye don't agree with what has been done?

This whole pile of rubbish could have been avoided if Greebo simply respected the good few posters that reported his post and removed the offending parts.

I bid ye good day, iv had enough of the bold writing in dictatorship format.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

This whole pile of rubbish could have been avoided if Greebo simply respected the good few posters that reported his post and removed the offending parts.

There are 2 other mods on the forum other than GreeBo, none of whom "respected the good few posters that reported his post....".

A reported post puts it to the mod's attention, but they (plural) can decide whether it warrants action

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Ahhh heerrrre, leave it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

There is no reply mechanism for reported posts.
    I'm not sure what you guys were expecting here?
    If we, as the mod team, dont want to take any action with a reported post, there is no response, we arent going to reply to each poster who reports something.

I'm not looking for your first born. Just remove the offending post and as a brucie bonus a little yellow card next to your name would have satisfied me.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    For the bit highlighted above, I think it is vital for a mod to be able to post and partake in discussions as a regular user without any thought to their mod capacity.

For sure but that's not the point I'm making Dr Rieux. Is there not a responsibility on the 2 persona's not to encroach on each other?

Take the Distance Membership thread as an example a few months back. Greebo's behaviour(as a regular poster) on that thread was deserving of censure in my opinion but no action was taken. I'm sure that's not the only example of this.

• Advertisement

I bid ye good day, iv had enough of the bold writing in dictatorship format.
    How about I respect the vast, VAST majority of posters who didnt have a problem with it, or ALL of the mods, CMODS and Admins who didnt do anything about it?
    How about you realise its not all about you?

This whole thing could have been avoided if you followed the rules of the forum, if you treated others the way you DEMAND to be treated and if you didnt throw your toys out of the pram everytime you get pulled up on something that you were doing wrong.
    Domo1982 wrote: »

Sorry whats not ok? That I reply in exactly the same way as gorfield has accused me of? Am I suddenly not entitled to a point of view, not entitled to defend myself?
    I'm not looking for your first born. Just remove the offending post and as a brucie bonus a little yellow card next to your name would have satisfied me.
    Why should the post be removed?
    Explain whats defamatory of offensive about it, tell me what it insinuates or how it insinuates anything?
    It clearly and factually states that gorfield is acting in a manner that he himself had a problem with other posters doing in the past, on more than one occasion. There is no slight of character, no hint at any wrong doing, merely that gorfield took issue with the reactions of some people to something he did. Why are you assuming its something negative? I didnt mention of frame anything in such a way. The only reason its now assumed to be negative is due to the reaction of posters like you and gorfield himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement