Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A lot one four letter word means the other four letter word is in doubt!

Another weekend on the couch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

What has happened to ireland!!!

RIP Garda Donoghue

ThinBlueLine.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

I am so feckin bored.....2 mouth ulcers and manflu.
    Hurry up summer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

link_2007 wrote: »
    Have heard that before Ricky, always raises a smile. I will forever love Jason McAteer just for the goal against Holland in Landsdowne Road. Probably my favourite ever sporting moment - the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up just typing about it.

Speaking of former footballers, was anyone listening to 5live yesterday evening? Stan Collymore was hosting the show and they were discussing if Frank Lampard deserves to be offered a new contract and one caller was saying of course he did and he was amazed he hadn't been offered one and then came out with, "Just look at his penalty from earlier today. He hit that like you used to hit Ulrika". Cue a few seconds of akward silence before moving on to the next caller.

Was at slane for that goal - U2 were on.
    One of the best days of my life - Holland ended up with 5 forwards that day.

Roy Keane's best ever day in an Irish Shirt - kicked the living **** out of the dutch lads. One of the best dutch teams in last 30 years too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Was at slane for that goal - U2 were on.
    One of the best days of my life - Holland ended up with 5 forwards that day.

Roy Keane's best ever day in an Irish Shirt - kicked the living **** out of the dutch lads. One of the best dutch teams in last 30 years too.

I was there as well, was some buzz from the crowd when he scored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Seves Three Iron

Was working at Lansdowne Road for the Holland game. In an overflow press box and sitting beside some random auld lad in the crowd. I was taking notes with a pen and paper. When McAteer scored I jumped up in the air. Next thing, everything settles down and the auld fella beside me is down on the ground in a heap. I was 100% sure I'd jabbed him in the face with the pen. Freaked for about 10 seconds until it emerged he fainted with all the commotion. Medical people eventually took him away.

Great memory from that day of talking to McAteer afterwards, in tears. He'd been getting rode by Sounness at Blackburn at the time and the goal came out of nowhere from him.

As said, most people's memories is of Holland playing Van Hooijdonk, Kluivert, Hasselbaink and van Nistelrooy at the same time late on as they chased the game. That's some strike force.

Keano's 'tackle' on Overmars early on in that game was memorable also!

Was working at Lansdowne Road for the Holland game. In an overflow press box and sitting beside some random auld lad in the crowd. I was taking notes with a pen and paper. When McAteer scored I jumped up in the air. Next thing, everything settles down and the auld fella beside me is down on the ground in a heap. I was 100% sure I'd jabbed him in the face with the pen. Freaked for about 10 seconds until it emerged he fainted with all the commotion. Medical people eventually took him away.

Great memory from that day of talking to McAteer afterwards, in tears. He'd been getting rode by Sounness at Blackburn at the time and the goal came out of nowhere from him.

As said, most people's memories is of Holland playing Van Hooijdonk, Kluivert, Hasselbaink and van Nistelrooy at the same time late on as they chased the game. That's some strike force.

Keano's 'tackle' on Overmars early on in that game was memorable also!

Fair play with the detail there Seve - yes some line up .

Jesus Roy - what a player - why didn't you just stay at the world cup for us - sorry don't go there :)

Concert was very moving as Bono's dad had passed away - and with the match all lads crying in Slane - funny.

I think there was a few of the lads playing came out to the concert - the days when footballers had a few drinks - especially " the 3 amigos".

Roy keane " that is why some of the lads are at the clubs they are at"
    Mad man l:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Have been trying to lose a few pounds (a good few!) after the Chritmas period so I have signed myself up for some 5km and 10km runs with the hope that it will motivate me to move my arse and do some excercise. As I was searching for a race to do in the next couple of months, I came across this http://www.runamuckchallenge.com/

Have signed myself and my brother up and really looking forward to it, looks like great craic.

Have been trying to lose a few pounds (a good few!) after the Chritmas period so I have signed myself up for some 5km and 10km runs with the hope that it will motivate me to move my arse and do some excercise. As I was searching for a race to do in the next couple of months, I came across this http://www.runamuckchallenge.com/

Have signed myself and my brother up and really looking forward to it, looks like great craic.

Running is not great for weight loss. The most effective way is to look at your diet.

It's 70% diet 30% training

If the motivation is there you will have no problem with this.

Eat healthy. No need to get into specifics as we all know what we should and shouldn't be eating. Bread is a killer.

Eat regular. Small portions of healthy food every 4 hours. That keeps the metabolism on full blast all day burning calories.

Fasting for hours is useless as your body then struggles to burn the food down when you do it. Keep the fire(metabolism) burning all day and it will burn well. Leave it to nearly die then lob a load of wood on it and it struggles.

Training wise go to the gym 3 times a week. Do weights. Nothing mental heavy just 3x12 reps of weights where by on the 3rd rep you are struggling half way through.

Alternate your days in the gym. 1 day do chest and arms, next shoulders and back. Do abs every day you are there. No longer than an hour in the gym.

Fat will absolutely strip off you guaranteed. You will increase muscle while decreasing body fat %.

Do this for 1 month = 1 stone shredded no problemos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was watching Embarrassing Fat Bodies on More4 last night.
    They had a guy that had lost approx 25+ stone.
    He achieved it by cycling to work and looking after his diet.
    Really went to show the dramatic affect a little bit regular exercise and a change to diet can do.

It was amazing to see the difference in a relatively short time, he was on the show as he had an issue with excess stretched skin as a result of the weight loss.

He looked like a average slim bloke but when he revealed his stomach....it was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Layers and layers of stretched skin that no matter how much exercise he would do, would ever disappear.
    He ended up having surgery to have the majority of it removed.

A bit of an aside there Link_2007... You don't remind me of him :D
    It's just slightly related to the weight loss topic.
    I had a mate that recently completely one of those events, he said it was great craic but really tough going.

Enjoy your lunch folks :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the post ForeRight.

I already lift weights (4-5 times a week) and have been for a few years now. Also, the majority of the time my diet is fine, there's just a couple of issues.

1. I have regular small meals or protein shakes during the day but I can only train in the evening after work. Regardless of how little or how much I have eaten that day, if I have had a heavy session in the gym I am absolutely ravenous once I get home.

2. This is the main one, and the main thing that needs to change, are the weekends. There's no two ways of saying it, I am an utter pig at the weekends.

The running, while aimed at helping me lose weight is mainly to help with general fitness. I played a lot of team sports when I was younger but don't play any now. I managed to get myself a weekly game of 5 aside soccer and was disgusted at just how unfit I was. Anyway, while this is the off topic thread, I don't want to turn it into a fitness blog :)

There's no two ways of saying it, I am an utter pig at the weekends.

:D:D:D I'm glad there wasn't two ways of saying it as the "only way" was damn funny!

It's pretty easy so mate. Stop the weekend piggery and you will lose weight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Regardless of how little or how much I have eaten that day, if I have had a heavy session in the gym I am absolutely ravenous once I get home.
    Are you hydrating enough?
    Our brains are pretty pathetic at telling the difference between hunger and thirst; if you have been sweating away in the gym for a couple of hours you will be very dehydrated if you are not pre-hydrating and hydrating throughout your workout.

Have a protein shake after training in the evening if you are looking to slim down, but I really feel that getting 4-5 litres of water/etc in on a training day should help the hunger pangs.

Definitely not a hydration problem Greebo, I drink a lot of water (5+ litres a day).

As has been alluded to, it's just a case of portion control.

Gone are the days when I could put away as much of whatever I wanted without having to worry about the repercussions :(

Definitely not a hydration problem Greebo, I drink a lot of water (5+ litres a day).

As has been alluded to, it's just a case of portion control.

Gone are the days when I could put away as much of whatever I wanted without having to worry about the repercussions :(

We'll really pile on the pounds when we stop zig zagging around a course! (oooooops off with my head, back off topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I'm sick to **** with Sky's coverage of deadline day!
    The reason there's nobody outside Goodison,Loftus Road or WHL is because you're there you plebs!
    Oh wait is that 'arry's Range Rover?:pac:

staker wrote: »
    I'm sick to **** with Sky's coverage of deadline day!
    The reason there's nobody outside Goodison,Loftus Road or WHL is because you're there you plebs!
    Oh wait is that 'arry's Range Rover?:pac:

No it's his reliant robin

Twitchy-Arry-Redknap-in-Del-boy-van.gif

My favourite Harry Redknapp moment. Most people refer to his 'Wheeler Dealer' interview with Sky but I think this is much better (be careful in work, it has some colourful language).

Such a plonker :)

redknapp-window.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

you need to get the dose i haver since Sunday - had a bit of a cough before going out to play golf in rain / snow and ended up with the damm flu. Am in bed since Monday evening and haven't eaten anything proper since my lunch on Sunday 1:00pm. I'm down nearly a feckin stone in weight.

charlieIRL wrote: »

you need to get the dose i haver since Sunday - had a bit of a cough before going out to play golf in rain / snow and ended up with the damm flu. Am in bed since Monday evening and haven't eaten anything proper since my lunch on Sunday 1:00pm. I'm down nearly a feckin stone in weight.

Yeah but next week when you look at a mats bar you will have 3 faces again no doubt.

All fluid you are down at the moment only

charlieIRL wrote: »

Sorry :o:mad::cool:

So.... Shane Long might get a few more minutes on the pitch this year!
    What the hell was Odemwingie thinking.

I reckon he must of got an email from his cousin in Nigeria, saying that he had just transferred an inheritance cheque to QPR and all he had to do was to go down to London and give them his bank details.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

For the weekend that's in it.... :D

They ruin what could be a good event.

Holywood actors
    Tax exiles
    Z list Stars
    Bandits

Go away.

I don't want to watch you. Go away.

If it wasn't so stunning and golf (lol) - i'd be gone.

Lads - is it easier to get a lower handicap in USA. A few lads from American background here maybe Jeff or Mike (I think)

Some of these lads who were/are off 3 or 4 - are awfull. maybe tv crowd etc.

The look like 15 - 16. Not much evidence of this - it is just Bill murray and his hat driving me mad. And his acting over every shot :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

I spent some time in the US some years ago and played some golf but not very seriously...much younger with lots of other things higher on the priorities !!

Anyway I seem to recall that you submit every score for every round you play in the US and these count towards you handicap, i.e. not just qualifying competitions like here. So if you are playing a casual round with your friends and play out of your skin....you get adjusted on this, just like a competition.

I'm not sure how accurate that is though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

off topic fail!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

GreeBo wrote: »
    off topic fail!

Agghh !!

Advertisement