Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Lads does anyone else think Mark Hughes has had one chance too many.....as a Utd fan I love Sparky but management wise he just hasn't got it right IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,107 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ssbob wrote: »
    Lads does anyone else think Mark Hughes has had one chance too many.....as a Utd fan I love Sparky but management wise he just hasn't got it right IMO.

Big fan of him as a player, as for management, the jury is still out in my eyes but I'd be optimistic that he'll do a good job for Stoke.

I thought he did fairly well with Blackburn and was unlucky with City. A good spell with Blackburn, think he got them into Europe a few years (?).
    He took over city before the billionaires came to town, made some good signings (Kompany, Zabaleta) before he had that money.
    Then things went a bit titsup when the money men came to town, I don't think he had any say in signings and he was never going to be the high profile manager that new owners wanted to manage their hobby (I'm a Utd fan ;) )

Fulham.... a bit of an odd one, don't know what went on there.
    QPR, a bit of an odd club too, he was a failure but he was never the right suit for the them.

Overall, I think he will prove himself to be a decent manager.
    Stoke are a stable club, no frills, and I think Hughes is a decent appointment for them.
    Of all his previous clubs, Blackburn (at the time) are most similar to Stoke, he did a good stint there, he won no fans with their style of play....so he was born for Stoke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Did brilliant at Blackburn and we were crying out for him to come back this time last season but he said no.

Things went to poop for him last season, but I fancy him to do a decent job at stoke.

Did brilliant at Blackburn and we were crying out for him to come back this time last season.

WE??
    Ah that's brilliant, your football team is your high handicap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

Great to see the Special One back. I predict a fallout with JT early on in the season, with him being loaned out at Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ilik Urgee wrote: »
    Great to see the Special One back. I predict a fallout with JT early on in the season, with him being loaned out at Xmas.

Don't like seeing him back at all - just don't like the man. While he may have turned Chelsea's game around I think they turned into a bunch of divers and cheats under his management. Slightest touch and they were on the ground. On numerous occasions if they got a free outside the box they would moved the ball as soon as the ref wasn't looking etc. Was delighted when he left (and apparently so are the RM players as well!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Jesus lads its too hot out there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Out where?

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Jesus lads its too hot out there

The temp on the colletcor of my solar tube was 145c today!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    The temp on the colletcor of my solar tube was 145c today!!

That's only half as warm as my arms :)
    Won't be getting much sleep tonight with the glow from them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Lads, has anyone found a good sun hat for golf? Herself wants one for her dad for fathers day next week so would have to be b&m. Tries elverys, mcguirkes and Halpenny but they only have baseball caps or rain hats.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Lads, has anyone found a good sun hat for golf? Herself wants one for her dad for fathers day next week so would have to be b&m. Tries elverys, mcguirkes and Halpenny but they only have baseball caps or rain hats.

There is a hat shop on the ground floor in Stephens green shopping centre down near the entrance to dunnes. Might be worth a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Jimdagym wrote: »

http://youtu.be/nVoTzON8WMs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

didn't want to post a new thread for this
    but there's a great current deal- round of golf at The K Club for 2 and 2 steak dinners for €120- link

It's not the Ryder Cup course but still a great deal I think.
    I've booked it and playing in July, works on weekends too.

dinneenp wrote: »
    didn't want to post a new thread for this
    but there's a great current deal- round of golf at The K Club for 2 and 2 steak dinners for €120- link

It's not the Ryder Cup course but still a great deal I think.
    I've booked it and playing in July, works on weekends too.

Good deal that, only played it once and loved it.

There is a thread here for putting bargains like that. Gets moved down the list quickly with new threads but handy found here

Guys, Lions selection, what do ye think?

My own opinions is I agree with the team selection but disagree with the bench, O'Brien/Faletau can count themselves unlucky to make the bench and also WTH is Maitland doing on the bench over Kearney/Zebo???

OK, Here is a firm prediction; 1st test Lions to go down 48 - 3 :D

(Posted this in the boards society thread by mistake :o)

Fair play to the lad in the apartment block directly across from our office... He's just spent 5 mins drying himself off buck naked

Slightly concerned about just how many of the office jumped up to see him after a female colleague screamed that there was a naked man...
    It's concerning because she is the only female and everyone that jumped was... by default.. male :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Thoughts on the Lions selection ?

Gatland will be crucified if he loses this. Seems like a team setup for all brawn and not much brain

• Advertisement

alxmorgan wrote: »

Gatland will be crucified if he loses this. Seems like a team setup for all brawn and not much brain

Set up for power but unfortunately the bench is set for that too, would have liked to have seen a plan B on the bench that could come on around the 55 minute mark ie. O'Driscoll/Youngs/Zebo, magic may be whats needed!

I think he is going for broke with the Australian game-plan, hopefully it comes off!

alxmorgan wrote: »

Gatland will be crucified if he loses this. Seems like a team setup for all brawn and not much brainBrian

Fixed that!

Very odd omission of O'Driscoll, the game was made for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Fixed that!

Very odd omission of O'Driscoll, the game was made for him.

had a bad day last week I thought though?

GreeBo wrote: »

Maybe so but dropped from the squad completely is strange don't you think?

Threw a bad pass and kicked a a bad kick, hardly had a bad day, defensively superb as usual, can't blame him for not getting more ball in hand, thats not Gatlands style!
    ForeRight wrote: »
    Maybe so but dropped from the squad completely is strange don't you think?

Ya completely strange not to have a Plan B IMO, even like for like scrumhalves with Murray on the bench over Youngs is overkill I think!

......I agree with you :D:D:D

My point was that I don't think we'd see a repeat of that.
    Reasoning:
    This weekend would have been his last game in a Lions jersey, he'd want to go out on a high, the serious tied at 1-1..... O'Driscoll is/was made for big occasions like this.
    To use a cliche, he would have left it all on the pitch on Saturday, O'Driscoll leaving it all on the pitch gets him in any team (IMO of course)

If they win gatland will be remembered as the man who made brave decisions for the greater good of the team.

If they lose he will be remembered for being the man who made a complete cock up.

Lets wait and see how it goes.

If they win gatland will be remembered as the man who made brave decisions for the greater good of the team.

If they lose he will be remembered for being the man who made a complete cock up.

Lets wait and see how it goes.

I'm hoping for the cock-up :D

Quickelles wrote: »
    I'm hoping for the cock-up :D

I'm surprised by lads I know saying they want the lions to lose based on bod being dropped so gatland gets slated.

We still have sexton and o'brien representing us.

I hope the lions beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I'm surprised by lads I know saying they want the lions to lose based on bod being dropped so gatland gets slated.

We still have sexton and o'brien representing us.

I hope the lions beat them.

And tommy Bowe.
    Spitefully wishing for losses just throws me back to the Steve Staunton witch hunt. It's sports fandom at its worst. (Hooliganism aside, obviously).

Advertisement