Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you doing for Xmas?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    The hell I will. I'm sticking to countries that know what irony means.

Or to translate that into the language of Sarky's current home -

He will yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Same thing I do every christmas, back home to see the parents and spend the whole week setting up some sort of electronics for the family and teaching them how to use it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Early rise as it's my only day off over the xmas. Fry up brekkie. Presents exchanged then doss around till dinner. Food then boardgames (my real big hobby with a back catalogue of almost 100 games to pick from this year!!) and drink. Then muppets xmas carol and bad santa and more drink. Then maybe some online poker as everyone is getting sick of each other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

fXL0h.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34,122 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Oh - I LOVE fairy lights. Have 'em everywhere (except bathrooms as there is apparently a 'Health and Safety issue' :rolleyes:)

Would be perfectly safe to run them off a shaver socket (especially if outdoor lights - waterproof) - do lesbian bathrooms not have shaver sockets :confused: :pac:

Or get AA battery powered LED lights - fiver in Dunnes.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Don't really do Christmas, so it'll be the usual sitting on my arse at home making great use of the Steam Christmas sale. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I put up some fairy lights in Bannasidhe's honour. :) And that is the extent of my Christmas decor.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

The majority of my family is Catholic excluding my dad and I so we'll most likely go to mass on Christmas Eve (i won't pray but it's sweet with singing and candles). On Christmas day it'll just be the usual with a big Christmas dinner and presents! I can't wait~ My family isn't very religious even if most of them say they're Catholic so they usually don't do anything religious around Christmas other than go to mass on Christmas Eve, light candles at the window on Christmas eve and put the baby Jesus in the crib on Christmas (my mom is currently 'hiding' it behind the crib lol)

ninja900 wrote: »
    Would be perfectly safe to run them off a shaver socket (especially if outdoor lights - waterproof) - do lesbian bathrooms not have shaver sockets :confused: :pac:

Or get AA battery powered LED lights - fiver in Dunnes.

Houses that were bought after the electrician had done all the wiring and whose purchaser did not want to fork out another cent as she was already paying more than enough for the damn house don't have shaver sockets in the bathroom.

Worked for Dunnes when I was in school- it will be cold day in hell before I shop in their stores. We hates 'em...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

doctor who, eating steak, reading, laughing at the dogs with their doggy stockings:)
    If one of them has a squeaky toy, timing how long before it stops squeaking
    I think about 60 seconds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I cant wait, the look on my kids faces when they see what Santa has left them will be priceless. This is the one morning of the year where I actually get up earlier than the kids. Then off to the grandparents for food booze fun and druken arguments. Good craic to be had by all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Won't be doing anything, no kids in the family anymore. I won't be visiting any family and hope to christ no one visits me.

It'll be just like any other day for me, except with added mince pies, tins of roses and a bottle of rum.
    Slight modification on this, just dug out an xbox 360 that I bought like 2 years ago, played it for 2 months and packed it away, it's been sitting in it's box ever since (I'm really not a gamer, don't know why the fúck I bought it).

10 minutes after setting it up I get the red ring of death, but I laid it on it's side which seems to have sorted it, so I'll be doing me a bit of gaming over Xmas. So yeah, anyone recommend any games as I only own 2? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Slight modification on this, just dug out an xbox 360 that I bought like 2 years ago, played it for 2 months and packed it away, it's been sitting in it's box ever since (I'm really not a gamer, don't know why the fúck I bought it).

10 minutes after setting it up I get the red ring of death, but I laid it on it's side which seems to have sorted it, so I'll be doing me a bit of gaming over Xmas. So yeah, anyone recommend any games as I only own 2? :D

I haven't tried them but maybe lollipop chainsaw or portal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Portal is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Batman. Get the Batman games. srsly. Batman.

Also, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is a nice mix of action, stealth and existentialist intellectualism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

eating my feelings

Houses that were bought after the electrician had done all the wiring and whose purchaser did not want to fork out another cent as she was already paying more than enough for the damn house don't have shaver sockets in the bathroom.

Ooh I know, had to put my own one in - for my gender neutral rechargeable toothbrush. The MAN_SHAVER was content to get a charge once a month from a normal socket through an adaptor, not so the Braun/Oral-B yoke.
    Worked for Dunnes when I was in school- it will be cold day in hell before I shop in their stores. We hates 'em...

Oranges are not the only fruit Dunnes are not the only store, try one's local euro shop. :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Sarky wrote: »
    Batman. Get the Batman games. srsly. Batman.

I got the Amiga Batman Pack 20 years ago Sarky, the Batman : The Movie game was adequate at best :(

Ooh I know, had to put my own one in - for my gender neutral rechargeable toothbrush. The MAN_SHAVER was content to get a charge once a month from a normal socket through an adaptor, not so the Braun/Oral-B yoke.

Oranges are not the only fruit Dunnes are not the only store, try one's local euro shop. :)

After a weekend of 4 adults, 2 children and 3 dogs in a two bedroom house I am more inclined to purchase a fecking caravan and move far far away *whinge*.

Oranges + Dunnes = very droll sir, very droll. ;)

Two obscure(ish) references for the price of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Parents aren't devout catholics, but still attend mass weekly. The rest of us are lapsed/atheists but never make an issue of it.

We will be doing everything as usual. Wake up, open presents, and spend approx 12 hours constantly preparing and eating food while the rest enjoy some wine, sherry, and baileys coffee. I'll be boring and sober as I will be driving to my mates house in the evening for our traditional christmas poker game while my family will stay behind and play board games.

My main fear is I volunteered to make a cheesecake for the day and I have a bad feling it will taste like crap :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I fcuking LOVE Christmas! Plan goes something like this. Get up with the kids, this won't be too early as they work themselves into such a frenzy they always end up sleeping in. We typically have to wake them up.

Downstairs for a very speed breakfast and a putting on of the turkey.

Then presents. Awesome.

Cook lunch, eat lunch, play games, watch telly and chill. No booze as, for some reason Christmas drinking has never appealed to me, plus this year I am Oncall for blood delivery.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Kids at their Dad'ses on the day this year, so just me and the lovely man chilling out considerably (well, mostly me as lovely man will be cooking up a storm for Stephen's day prep) - get stuck into some films we bought and Sarah Millican's new stand-up DVD :D

Kids back next morning and pressieeeees!!! Yay!! Can't wait for that day - We'll have some friends over too and have gone for a help-yerself table of goodies - everything we like but don't usually afford to eat - Mmmmm, fridge is groaning under the weight of 10 different cheeses and many different meats/snacks/salads. Meanwhile, have kids DVDs and nearly 1/2 the southpark series to introduce to young impressionable minds.

Might squeeze a walk in there sometime, before I hit the port/mulled wine. I love xmas :D Friends and neighbours dropping in for some mix n match company - love it all! Have a good one everybody :):):)

Ps. LOVE turning my house into bling-central on the inside - my kitchen looks like a cheesy 80's disco for the season. Sometimes I leave it up till february :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I got the Amiga Batman Pack 20 years ago Sarky, the Batman : The Movie game was adequate at best :(

Arkham asylum is like being in a classic animated episode. Get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Off down to Dublin at some point tomorrow to see some relatives, then back up to the arse-end-of-nowhere. Mam asked if I would go to evening mass (for the sake of my sister). Told her up front there is no way in hell I'm setting foot in any type of church. So an hour or so free to study tomorrow evening.

Up early on Christmas morning, have fun, study, eat, sleep, help get house ready for family party on the 26th.

That's when the real fun begins; A game I like to call "How many drunken relatives can we fit in the house before an argument starts?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

DB21 wrote: »
    Off down to Dublin at some point tomorrow to see some relatives, then back up to the arse-end-of-nowhere. Mam asked if I would go to evening mass (for the sake of my sister). Told her up front there is no way in hell I'm setting foot in any type of church. So an hour or so free to study tomorrow evening.

Up early on Christmas morning, have fun, study, eat, sleep, help get house ready for family party on the 26th.

That's when the real fun begins; A game I like to call "How many drunken relatives can we fit in the house before an argument starts?"

Study eh? I bet!

Oranges + Dunnes = very droll sir, very droll. ;)

There wasn't much duuurty stuff on TV in those days, and I was at an impressionable age :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I have the in-laws coming to ours for Christmas. But my wife is doing all the cooking and cleaning while I doss off in work today, and the in-laws are all grand so it should be a good Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I'm pretty much going to spend the majority of my time eating and trying to connect to the internet in my house out in the shticks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Study eh? I bet!

I actually have to :p. Just cause I have this silly want to apply for my PhD next year as opposed to after my 4th year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,823 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Today consists of a few visitors to the house, watch T.V., Mam and Dad will bring a Chinese back to the house after mass (they rarely go but have this mad idea of going in on the busiest day of the year) and we'll chill with Blades of Glory and booze.

Tomorrow will be presents, fry for breakfast, dinner and drink and telly. Unfortunately Dad has to do the 12 a.m to 8 a.m shift on Stephen's Morning so he'll be in bed early tomorrow evening.

Advertisement