Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you doing for Xmas?

Options
  • 20-12-2012 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

I was responding to a thread in afterhours when it got closed.

I have children so we do the santa thing (at least until my youngest announces that she is a non-believer) but we live in the Netherlands now and sinter klaas comes on the 5th December here so that part is over already. I'll be dropping my kids over to Ireland on the 23rd to visit their dad for christmas, returning on the 24th and... moving into a new house. We'll be hosting my mother in law for a nice lunch and enjoying our new tree- and decoration- free (and child-free) home.

The only thing my christmas will have in common with the traditional christmas is copious quantities of booze.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have to say, i've more or less always been an atheist even as a relatively young kid, but i think i'd miss the whole christmas tree and decorations thing. My tree even has an angel on top (although i wanted a flying spaghetti monster, but couldn't find one!).
    To be honest, and i know how ridiculous this sounds, in my mind i make no real connection between christmas and the little baby jeebus' birthday. The tree and the angel and so on are just there to look pretty as far as i'm concerned ( i mean the damn things are frowned upon in the bible anyway!:D) Jermiah 10:3-5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I liked all that too, but now I'm the one responsible for decorating the house... meh. I loved how homely and cosy it looked last year but I'm glad to getting the break from it this year - I've been run off my feet just getting the new house ready to move into and I really, really should be run off my feet right now getting the last of this house packed up and cleaned. Again, meh. :D

I'll do it all again next year but I'm honestly quite relieved to have one year off.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

First Xmas with a new baby. She's barely able to focus on faces at the moment, let alone comprehend Xmas, but it does make it that bit different.

Twill be fairly traditional for us; fry-ups, booze, too much chocolate, roast spuds, veg & gravy, gambling, family movies. There never really was any connection between the christian festival and Xmas for me. Like most kids, all I cared about was getting stuff on the day, so I never really had cause to associate Xmas with Jesus.

"Happy Santy's Birthday!" is the traditional greeting on my side of the family, though the in-laws are still a little holy so my wife tuts a bit when we say it.

IThe tree and the angel and so on are just there to look pretty as far as i'm concerned ( i mean the damn things are frowned upon in the bible anyway!:D) Jermiah 10:3-5

Oooh! Thank you for this, I'm going to further procrastinate by pestering people on facebook with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

My husband and I are staying with my parents. As lapsed Catholics, they will make feeble attempts to instil in us the true meaning of Christmas, with the occasional half-hearted suggestion to attend Midnight Mass, all forgotten in favour of that bottle of Rioja I've just cracked open.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lapsing into a food coma.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

To be honest, and i know how ridiculous this sounds, in my mind i make no real connection between christmas and the little baby jeebus' birthday. The tree and the angel and so on are just there to look pretty as far as i'm concerned ( i mean the damn things are frowned upon in the bible anyway!:D) Jermiah 10:3-5

It's not a bit ridiculous, sure wasn't there always a sort of winter festival of some sort in cold countries like Ireland before we got a whiff of Christianity. It's just nice to have a few days of good food and drink to look forward to in these dark months.

Mmmmm, Christmassy food...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Watching Dr Who of course.
    May eat lots, take naps, walk dogs, eat more.

Oh - I LOVE fairy lights. Have 'em everywhere (except bathrooms as there is apparently a 'Health and Safety issue' :rolleyes:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Oooh! Thank you for this, I'm going to further procrastinate by pestering people on facebook with it!

That refers to carving idols out of trees, not christmas trees, which come much later and are germanic in origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I grudgingly let OH put up the tree the other night, and I suppose I'll have to get round to decorating the smegging thing at some stage.

On the day itself there will be 1) a lie in, followed by 2) lounging around watching sci-fi, topped off by 3) the arrival of OH's mother for dinner. Dinner will be roast duck, accompanied by tense silences, as usual; my coping technique is a nice merlot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have two young kiddies so the house is like something from a Coke ad. Will be fitting in visits to two families on Christmas day and eating a serious amount of Chocolate Kimberlies.

Over the weekend I shall be redeeming 12 months worth of points on my O'Briens Wines loyalty card (that is always a wonderful time of the year).

Lastly, the missis is threatening to take my kids to mass on Christmas morning with her family. Grand so. That leaves me, the Chocolate Kimberlies, and *fingers crossed* Call of Duty Black Ops II for Xbox in peace for an hour or two. :D

Nothing says welcome to the world, baby Jesus, like shooting strangers on the Internet in the face.

Dades wrote: »
    Have two young kiddies so the house is like something from a Coke ad. Will be fitting in visits to two families on Christmas day and eating a serious amount of Chocolate Kimberlies.

Over the weekend I shall be redeeming 12 months worth of points on my O'Briens Wines loyalty card (that is always a wonderful time of the year).

Lastly, the missis is threatening to take my kids to mass on Christmas morning with her family. Grand so. That leaves me, the Chocolate Kimberlies, and *fingers crossed* Call of Duty Black Ops II for Xbox in peace for an hour or two. :D

Nothing says welcome to the world, baby Jesus, like shooting strangers on the Internet in the face.

Oh - forgot I have to go visit family to play kill sister's plants with nasty sweet sherry. :(

On the way I will have my annual rant about people coming out of large churches (I pass 3) after their annual visit who just wander across the road looking neither right nor left with me loudly opining that they obviously want to die in a fecking state of b*starding grace or do they think going to Mass means they can't be hit by the large Mitsubishi heading straight for them travelling at 50 kph on a main road. EEJITS. :mad:

Then it's eat, bring dogs to field with ball to exhaust them, DR WHO!! - snooze, eat. :D

I'm sort of looking forward to it - hope Dr Who is better than last years Xmas special. Hated it.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    That refers to carving idols out of trees, not christmas trees, which come much later and are germanic in origin.

D'ya mind not interfereing with my procrastination please, I have dust to be ignoring here!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I'll be coming in from work at 7:30am and going straight to bed, get up around 2:30pm and have the dinner at around 4 then start getting ready to go back into work that evening. Just doesn't have the same appeal to it any more.

As a lapsed Catholic, I always look on Christmas as a celebration of family. We do the tree, decorations, cards and presents (pressies for immediate family only). We stuff ourselves with rich food and drink good wines. I like Carol services, as they tend to be attended by families. They are celebrating a birth, the creation of a family and that is what I find most important.

D'ya mind not interfereing with my procrastination please, I have dust to be ignoring here!

I have some cobwebs to ignore which OH kindly informed me at 7:30 this morning are cultivating a corner of bathroom. Am thinking of telling her they are an organic substitute for fairylights as they glisten in a pleasing manner when the light hits them.

Teach her to lecture me on Health and Safety and the wisdom of placing extension leads close to showers. :p

I wonder would our current landlord believe that too?

"It's not dust and cobwebs, it's organic glitter and tinsel! And those fingerprints on the windows are supposed to look like snow! Have you no christmas spirit?"

Not a bother now, my maids kids are home from school to do it all help.

Not a bother now, my maids kids are home from school to do it all help.

Well, Sinterklaas is compiling his 2013 list naughty/nice list now so they better get stuck in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Won't be doing anything, no kids in the family anymore. I won't be visiting any family and hope to christ no one visits me.

It'll be just like any other day for me, except with added mince pies, tins of roses and a bottle of rum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm hoping to visit Drumbeg stone circle for the Solstice sunset on Friday. I haven't been able to go for a few years due to the weather. I love the atmosphere and the weirdness. I'm not a pagan but I love seeing newagers go into a trance and seeing them experience their magic of flying orbs, spirits and made up beliefs.
    xmas day is very relaxing, quiet and peaceful, and usually involves talking to people on the phone who are stressed out or lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Won't be doing anything, no kids in the family anymore. I won't be visiting any family and hope to christ no one visits me.

It'll be just like any other day for me, except with added mince pies, tins of roses and a bottle of rum.

Yo ho ho? :pac:

We do the same every year. My boyfriend and I stay in our respective parents houses xmas eve and xmas night, where there is lots of eating, drinking and presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

First time in 2-3 years all my siblings will be home for xmas, so it'll be a couple of nights in the old family home catching up. there I shall play with the red setter I haven't seen in 6 months and my brother's new spaniel puppy, see if my nephew remembers my face, and get good and toasted in the sitting room with a tonne of booze, cigars and excellent food. At least until I realise why I don't live in one house with my family any more and head back to Cork for some peace and quiet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

My Parents have been atheist since before i was born , but everyone in my family loves Christmas. I never even knew there was that big a link between Christmas and Jesus for years, there seemed to be a bigger link been Christmas and Coke.
    for us it's just a special time of year that if i don't drop in to see my mom, she'll hunt my down a kill me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Sarky wrote: »
    First time in 2-3 years all my siblings will be home for xmas, so it'll be a couple of nights in the old family home catching up. there I shall play with the red setter I haven't seen in 6 months and my brother's new spaniel puppy, see if my nephew remembers my face, and get good and toasted in the sitting room with a tonne of booze, cigars and excellent food. At least until I realise why I don't live in one house with my family any more and head back to Cork for some peace and quiet. :pac:

Have you moved from Galweh? :(

I'm going to my wife's family for Christmas for the second time in Tennessee. Not much of a booze fest like back home at all, but the food is wonderful. To be fair I've had way too much booze over the past couple of years. I bought myself an 18 year old Jameson, 18 year old Glenmorangie, 18 year old Glenfiddich, 15 year old Redbreast about 6 weeks ago. They all have about 2 glasses left in them so I'm welcoming a drought for a few days.

I'm saving my boozing for New Years Eve when I go out in Boston with a friend of mine, and then to NYC from Jan 1st - 5th for a serious session with a friend from back home whom I haven't seen in well over a year. We're going to visit a few Irish bars in NYC, along with Mark Geary's brothers bar. He asked me to pop in so that should be a laugh, funnily enough it's called The Scratcher - great name for a bar. :pac:

After that we'll probably lock ourselves my mate's place, get locked, lash out some trad music, smoke cigars and play darts. I'm looking forward to this more than Christmas!

I've been in Cork for 3 years. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Christ! I did the opposite.. Lived in Cork for a while then moved to Galway before moving to the states. You'll be off to yanksville next. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

As hubby is French we tend to do the big dinner on Christmas Eve.
    It will consist of 6 courses which I have already planned out and buckets of wine.
    Christmas Day is hangover day and will start with Baileys for breakfast.
    Followed by more wine and left overs from the night before.
    We'll watch a film and as the drink hits us again, a board game and cheating/fights will break out. :D

Mini Me has hinted that I 'might' (will) be getting my mitts on Assassins Creed 3, which means that's me sorted for ever available minute from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Celebrating solstice with my kids on Saturday, then they are off to spend Christmas with their dad and his parents, while I make myself useful in my parent kitchens making dinner and play the game of sure have another one with my siblings to see who gets drunk first and who cries uncle. Mostly the next week will be spent watching the new Battle star Galatica for the first time.

• Advertisement

[-0-] wrote: »
    Christ! I did the opposite.. Lived in Cork for a while then moved to Galway before moving to the states. You'll be off to yanksville next. :pac:

The hell I will. I'm sticking to countries that know what irony means.

Advertisement