Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving ever happened to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

Hi all,

So I live a grand old house on the southside I share with a few others. We have a fairly healthy flow of people in and out of the house so it can be hard to keep track (5 sharing).

Last night I was outside in the laundry room and looked up to the top floor where the light was on in one of the bedrooms for rent and standing looking at me was a lady with heavy makeup staring at me and then turns and moves out of sight.

We have had two people move out recently with a new girl and boy due to move in over the weekend. I was away the past weekend but the girl had a party and left the place a mess from the Saturday so when I saw the girl I thought right I'll have a work about cleaning up.
    Thing is when I got up stairs the room was bare, the light was on but no one was home.

Scratching my head I wandered down stairs and met the new guy who just arrived to move into that room!!:eek: The new girl was in a completely different room and hadn't come home from work!
    Freaked me out - I can still see the figure looking at me. Grumpy head,White face, dark eyes. With no offence intended very Goth-like.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

cruais wrote: »
    This happened to us with our dog. She had a total fit when we tried to bring her in and started whimpering. Must be something to it.

I had a dog used to do the same thing with my car. Must have been haunted I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

ButtonyBoo wrote: »
    On another note, has anyone ever heard of someone getting a strong smell of flowers as someone dies? My mother got this when two of my grandparents died, and she was even asking people in the room were they wearing perfume, it was so strong to her.

No - but I do get a strong smell of cigarette smoke every couple of days when there is none there, happens everywhere and anywhere. I looked it up on google and it says it could be either a harmless sinus infection or a brain tumour. 50/50 - I like them odds!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I don't want this thread to go dead because I love reading it. So here's my story. I may have posted this before, so apologies if I have.

I was home alone one weekend and I always feel quite uneasy on my own because our gardens (back and front) are quite big and open. I was watching television and my dog started furiously barking at the window and jumping up. This freaked me out a little bit because he usually only reacts like this if someone is genuinely at the door/arriving in the driveway. I rang one of my friends who was coming over anyway and asked her if she could come sooner. She arrived and I felt much better having company. A few hours later she had to go home because she was working early. She had parked her car at the house next door because the starter in her car was broken and she needed a hill to start the car properly. So my house is on the flat part of the road and the house next door is up a slightly steeper hill. She said she'd walk up the hill on her own (in the pitch black). I told her not to and felt quite uneasy about it. I said I'd drop her up (a 20 second drive). We drove up the hill and her car was parked across my neighbours drive. None of them were there as they live in London (I knew this as my best friend is their daughter and we'd always know when they're back)
    I drove past her car and into the next driveway on the left and reversed back and was going to stop beside her car then. There are no other entrances apart from the one I drove into and my friend's house. As I pulled up beside her car a man wearing a beenie hat and dressed in dark clothing walked out of my friend's house. I freaked because a) I didn't recognise him b) I knew they weren't home and c) because my friend could've met him in the dark had she walked up on her own. I drove slowly beside him to get another look at him and he just glared into the car. I felt really uneasy and sped up. From the rear view mirror I could see him bolting down the hill after the car. We were terrified and drove down to the local village and decided what to do. We drove back up the road we came and tried to see if we could see him again. We were driving pretty slowly again to get a good look into vacant driveways. We both said ''He must be gone, PHEW'' when all of a sudden he steps out of a pitch black driveway, directly beside my car. Again he just glared into the car and looked seriously shady. We sped up and drove to a nearby friend's house and rang the guards. They came out and searched my house and my friend's house and both gardens and found a series of bottles and cans. I have never seen him in the village since and no-one recognises a man by the description. It freaks me out to think what might've happened if I didn't drop my friend up the hill. What made it creepy is the fact that he didn't salute us, he just glared. It's a friendly area and everyone would salute or say hello upon meeting a car coming up the hill. Nothing was taken from my friend's house thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

There a few years ago i was heading home from work with the father and we decided to go the back road to head on to the motorway for a change.

So we where just driving out of a small village on the way out i seen a man with a big straw hat, walking stick, big grey beard standing be hide a wall in pitch black darkness i turned to my dad and asked him did you see that man there ?. He went no what man ?. So i said to him turn the car around and see if he is still there. So we did and the man was no where to be seen on that spot. What was even crazier that there was a pull in maybe 20m in front of where he was.

The next night i had people in work from the village so i asked them is there a man like that around you village and they said no. So i am wondering to this day what the hell did i see that night ? LoL.

Then a few years before that i was heading home from work with my mother and it was fairly dark out and very foggy that night and we past a part of the road that had a perfect square cut out of the fog and we just looked at each other and went the hell was that ?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

One morning about 1.30 am, back in my motorcycling days, I was travelling through a country area I knew well when I noticed a young man waving me down from the opposite side of the road.
    He was standing in a gap in the ditch just past a bad bend in the road.
    I stopped and had to 'back-push' the bike back to where he was standing because he didn't move at all.
    'Are you the Doctor's son? he asked, when I reached him.
    I was surprised, because our Doctor (the only one for many miles about had no family.
    'No, I said...adding, ' but why did you stop me...are you okay?'
    'I just thought you were the Doctor's son, he has a bike that sounds like yours.'
    'Are you okay?' I asked him again, but he didn't reply, and I left him standing there in the gap in the ditch.

I thought no more of this incident until the next time I passed that spot, also late at night, when my bike's engine cut out for no reason at that same bad bend.
    This happened twice more in the next month, though the third time was my own fault because I had run out of petrol...but strange that these breakdowns happened within a few feet of where I saw the chap standing.

The following Spring, three men were killed in a car accident at this same bend.

I get the willies when I pass that spot. The 'gap' in the ditch is still there, but the bend has been fixed since that fatal accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

One morning about 1.30 am, back in my motorcycling days, I was travelling through a country area I knew well when I noticed a young man waving me down from the opposite side of the road.
    I stopped and had to 'back-push' the bike back to where he was standing because he didn't move at all.
    I was surprised, because our Doctor (the only one for many miles about had no family.
    'I just thought you were the Doctor's son, he has a bike that sounds like yours.'
    'Are you okay?' I asked him again, but he didn't reply, and I left him standing there in the gap in the ditch.

I thought no more of this incident until the next time I passed that spot, also late at night, when my bike's engine cut out for no reason at that same bad bend.
    This happened twice more in the next month, though the third time was my own fault because I had run out of petrol...but strange that these breakdowns happened within a few feet of where I saw the chap standing.

The following Spring, three men were killed in a car accident at this same bend.

I get the willies when I pass that spot. The 'gap' in the ditch is still there, but the bend has been fixed since that fatal accident.
    one of them three men was the son of a Doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I started to download a movie called "The Omen" one evening on my laptop. For those that who are not familiar with the movie it's about a family who's son turns out be the devil. Apparently 666 is the sign of said devil and in the movie this 666 symbol is found on the child's head as a kind of birthmark. Amway the following morning I opened up the laptop , saw that the movie had finished downloading and proceeded to open up my file browser...to be presented with this ! YIKES !

http://i.imgur.com/WLbOT6Z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Im not fooking clicking that!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Whenever someone in my family dies a robin appears indoors. It happened with my grandmother and uncle. Again it happened a few weeks ago in the arrivals bar at Dublin airport in the morning when I collected my brother after my father was found dead the previous night. One landed on the ground beside me as I ordered some drinks in the bar close to the arrivals area.

I like to think its a sign that he is in a better and happier place as his death was very sudden. I took some comfort from it. Not creepy or unerving but something I'd like to share. I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Whenever someone in my family dies a robin appears indoors. It happened with my grandmother and uncle. Again it happened a few weeks ago in the arrivals bar at Dublin airport in the morning when I collected my brother after my father was found dead the previous night. One landed on the ground beside me as I ordered some drinks in the bar close to the arrivals area.

I like to think its a sign that he is in a better and happier place as his death was very sudden. I took some comfort from it. Not creepy or unerving but something I'd like to share. I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

I've heard of this before. I'd be more freaked out if the Robin appeared BEFORE the death of someone I knew!

On that story, Thursday morning I was working from home in the kitchen with the back door open and heard a noise from near where my dog's bed is and stood up to investigate. As I did, a magpie, which had been eating the dog food from the bowl, panicked and flew into the other closed door and couldn't get out. I freaked out at this because I have a fear of birds! Eventually he managed to fly out!

D Trent wrote: »

Don't know who the misfortunates were, but they were coming from evening Mass. I was overseas when it happened so I never got to know the details
    Now I HAVE to check it out, though it was a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

My family has creepy thing to do with 3 knocks on the door when some passes away on my mothers side of the family. This has happened a few times.

This happened in 1999 when i was 7 years old by my oldest sister will tell anyone this story.
    There when my grand mother passed away it was raining extremely heavy and we got a knock on the door she opened the door and there was no one there. So about 10 mins later there was another knock on the door and she went to get it and no one was there when she opened. She was sitting in the sitting room freaked out about what was happening as she was only 16 i think at the time. Then about a hour past and another knock on the door but this time it was my sisters best friend and after she ans the door my sister got a call on her mobile from my mother to tell her that my Grandmother had passed away.

Then when mu uncle past there 11 years ago now at this stage. We got the 3 knocks and no one there on a Saturday. Then on the Sunday we got a phone call that he was after having a passing in a motorbike crash.

But this used to always happened when my mother was younger as well that if some one in the family would pass away there would always be 3 knocks on the door and no one there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

colossus-x wrote: »
    I started to download a movie called "The Omen" one evening on my laptop. For those that who are not familiar with the movie it's about a family who's son turns out be the devil. Apparently 666 is the sign of said devil and in the movie this 666 symbol is found on the child's head as a kind of birthmark. Amway the following morning I opened up the laptop , saw that the movie had finished downloading and proceeded to open up my file browser...to be presented with this ! YIKES !

http://i.imgur.com/WLbOT6Z.jpg

That is awesome, your computer is possessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

DareGod wrote: »
    I had suspected you might be "on something" after reading your first two stories but when I read this part I had you down as a definite whacko. :pac:

Ehhh, thanks? I was never, at any stage, on anything, I can assure you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

More creepy experiences on Reddit.

Post Removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 I should coco!

^ :rolleyes:

Came on hoping to read about another interesting and creepy/unnerving experience.

You can peddle that in the creative writing forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭LittleMuppet

I have to say that I love this thread!

Unfortunately, I've no very interesting or scary stories to tell except for what happened to me and my OH last Thursday night. We were outside on our deck having a smoke just before bed when all of a sudden, right in front of us a ball of super white light flashed in front of us for a few seconds. It was about 2 foot away from us and about 4 foot from the ground. It was like someone flicked on a torch and flicked it off again. We live in a rural area where our nearest neighbour is about a mile away and there were no cars on the road. We both seen it. It was really bizarre. Anyone any ideas of what it could have been?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Unfortunately, I've no very interesting or scary stories to tell except for what happened to me and my OH last Thursday night. We were outside on our deck having a smoke just before bed when all of a sudden, right in front of us a ball of super white light flashed in front of us for a few seconds. It was about 2 foot away from us and about 4 foot from the ground. It was like someone flicked on a torch and flicked it off again. We live in a rural area where our nearest neighbour is about a mile away and there were no cars on the road. We both seen it. It was really bizarre. Anyone any ideas of what it could have been?

First thought is ball lightning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Get with the times,

Camera flash from a drone........

Peeping tom 2.0 ......;)

We were outside on our deck having a smoke...

Judging by the dating smokers thread, there's a fair few AHers who would find that creepy and unnerving!

^ :rolleyes:

Came on hoping to read about another interesting and creepy/unnerving experience.

You can peddle that in the creative writing forum.

Just a bit of fun, and I've removed the post
    I've banned myself from this forum as self punishment.;)

Thanks for all your replies. It may have been ball lightning, but it was only there for a few seconds so I don't know....

As for a drone flash - now that is creepy and unnerving :-|

My nan reckons it was a will o wisp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Will o wisp. :pac: that's class

I'm inclined to agree with your nan.

We are surrounded by boglands so I guess a will o wisp isn't too far out there. I wish it was something creepier though.

Anyone got anymore stories to keep this great thread alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

We are surrounded by boglands so I guess a will o wisp isn't too far out there. I wish it was something creepier though.

Anyone got anymore stories to keep this great thread alive?

Similar to your story: one night at home alone as a teenage I went to take in jeans from the line. When I opened the back door, to my right there was a neon blue ball of light that was bouncing from the ground up higher than the house. There was a popping sound as it bounced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

KCC wrote: »
    Similar to your story: one night at home alone as a teenage I went to take in jeans from the line. When I opened the back door, to my right there was a neon blue ball of light that was bouncing from the ground up higher than the house. There was a popping sound as it bounced.

I had another similar experience some years ago driving into my local town about midnight to collect my sister - glanced in my rear view mirror and a big ball of light was shining through my rear window - at first I thought it was a motorbike with a higher than usual front light right up on my tail and was expecting it to overtake but I didn't hear an engine and then it just disappeared as I was approaching the street lights at the entrance to the town. Frightened the life out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭pipelaser

I had another similar experience some years ago driving into my local town about midnight to collect my sister - glanced in my rear view mirror and a big ball of light was shining through my rear window - at first I thought it was a motorbike with a higher than usual front light right up on my tail and was expecting it to overtake but I didn't hear an engine and then it just disappeared as I was approaching the street lights at the entrance to the town. Frightened the life out of me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

pipelaser wrote: »

Thanks for that pipelaser! If I experience it again, I'll know what it is - though they say lightening never strikes twice....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Candycakes

Yes..... When I'm hungry... I see Bread people 👽👻👻👻👻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

Myself and my housemate were swapping stories this evening and he told me one that freaked me out.

He said when he was a teenager he was sitting on his stairs at about 2am talking on the phone to a girl he liked.

In front of him was the front door with two panes of glass on either side. He said he suddenly noticed a man standing outside his garden with his back to him. Then, he started walking backwards into the garden and stopped and just stood there for a while before finally leaving ... He said it really unnerved him and he could never figure it out. That story gave me the willies.

That story gave me the willies.

Maybe the guy at the window wanted to give him the willy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Myself and my housemate were swapping stories this evening and he told me one that freaked me out.

He said when he was a teenager he was sitting on his stairs at about 2am talking on the phone to a girl he liked.

In front of him was the front door with two panes of glass on either side. He said he suddenly noticed a man standing outside his garden with his back to him. Then, he started walking backwards into the garden and stopped and just stood there for a while before finally leaving ... He said it really unnerved him and he could never figure it out. That story gave me the willies.

Ahhhh TheBackwardsMan, he frequents After Hours now, giving the willies to many!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Candycakes

Do u mind me asking where was this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Maybe he was having a slash! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SO if he was walking backwards, was he actually walking towards the guy in the house? Or did he have two backs, because that would be weird.

Quazzie wrote: »
    SO if he was walking backwards, was he actually walking towards the guy in the house? Or did he have two backs, because that would be weird.

I have heard tell of this beast with two backs. It doesn't like to be disturbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Right now this is creeping me the f*ck out !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

the_monkey wrote: »
    Right now this is creeping me the f*ck out !!

That's clearly people on stilts fcuking around for the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

smash wrote: »
    That's clearly people on stilts fcuking around for the camera.

Don't know ... With that creepy music and all ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

It's stilts. I taught stilt walking workshops over the summer. Definitely stilts, and the enormous trousers we use to cover them pulled up to the shoulders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheJollyRoger

First of all, I love reading through this thread. Nothing particularly paranormal or creepy has ever happened to me, but this 'incident' always sticks out in my mind. I was on erasmus in Germany, and, like most Tuesdays nights, I thought I would head to a student pub as erasmus students were given free entry. As we were late finishing German class, and due to cooking dinner and getting ready, I wasn't able to go out until 11/half 11. To get to said pub, you had to go through a forest filled with several pathways. As this was my first time going there alone, I had only a vague idea of how to get there. Stupidly, I took a right turn instead of a left one, and I ended up deeper in the forest. I was about to turn back when I saw an orange glow in the distance. As I was surrounded by trees the 'orange' stood out. From a distance it looked like a person who was stood still, almost statuesque. As I got closer, I initially thought 'scarecrow' but then realized ;There are no scarecrows in the forest. As I moved closer, (but still maintaining a safe distance), I saw what looked like a man, 6ft, dressed in orange overalls, like one would find on an american prisoner. He/It didn't move, and stayed in the same position, ignoring me, who was walking slowly towards it. As I was about 10/15m away from it, I panicked and then walked backwards hurriedly while facing the man, until it was out of sight, before later finding the pub. I told people I knew about the 'ordeal' and they just laughed. Later a few friends, who lived in the town, said that there had been several stories of a rapist who stayed in the woods, but that was at least 5/10 years ago, and they hadn't heard anything since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

This friend of mine, I've known him about two years now, but I've never met his family.

I've had a feeling for months that there was to be a death in his family.
    His father died last Friday.
    Spooky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

My folks have a wood burning stove with a massive flue/chimney that sticks up behind our house, last year a bat flew down it and scared the bejayus out of my brother when he came down and saw it in the morning! It was still alive and there was a big hoopla with getting it out of the stove and into a shoebox (using a shovel, don't worry, he didn't touch it!) while trying to find out if there was a place that would rescue it.

This morning Facebook sent him one of those 'one year ago today' notifications celebrating the anniversary of him putting a pic up of the bat in the stove. He laughed and looked over at the stove. There's another bat in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

My folks have a wood burning stove with a massive flue/chimney that sticks up behind our house, last year a bat flew down it and scared the bejayus out of my brother when he came down and saw it in the morning! It was still alive and there was a big hoopla with getting it out of the stove and into a shoebox (using a shovel, don't worry, he didn't touch it!) while trying to find out if there was a place that would rescue it.

This morning Facebook sent him one of those 'one year ago today' notifications celebrating the anniversary of him putting a pic up of the bat in the stove. He laughed and looked over at the stove. There's another bat in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Barna77 wrote: »
    This friend of mine, I've known him about two years now, but I've never met his family.

I've had a feeling for months that there was to be a death in his family.
    His father died last Friday.
    Spooky

That's not spooky, it's coincidence; not even a very big one at that. If you had a feeling that a specific person was going to die on a specific day that would be a really big coincidence.

Also who sits around predicting death in other people's families? That's the creepy part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Zillah wrote: »
    That's not spooky, it's coincidence; not even a very big one at that. If you had a feeling that a specific person was going to die on a specific day that would be a really big coincidence.

Also who sits around predicting death in other people's families? That's the creepy part.

Wow nice to see people being welcome to post what they want without being called creepy.

Wow nice to see people being welcome to post what they want without being called creepy.

You

Stop being childish

• Advertisement
Advertisement