Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant coffee

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CarMe wrote: »
    Kenco Milicano really is lovely!

Most of the Kenco's are really nice.

Unless its prepared for me I prefer instant, none of this fook arse'ing around grinding beans, cleaning the grinder and all the other prep ~ feck that.

I think the OP is probably a hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Unless its prepared for me I prefer instant, none of this fook arse'ing around grinding beans, cleaning the grinder and all the other prep ~ feck that.

Or was, 4 years ago...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Instant is crap. I like the Latte sachets though. Tesco own brand is only about 1.50 and you get about 8 in a pack. It's just as good as the Kenco equivalent which you'd pay over 4 quid for probably

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A proper bean to cup machine is actually handier than instant, and pod coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    I hate instant coffee, love the real thing. I hate when you’re at somebody’s house and they offer tea or coffee and they only have instant. And then by the time I realise it it’s too late to say ‘ah, I’ll have a cup of tea actually’.
    I don't expect most people to have a bean grinder and espresso machine, which is required to make real coffee. So if they ask "do you want coffee?" I'm going to assume it's instant.

Instant is ok if there's nothing else. I have an emergency azera in the press that I sometimes use when I'm just to lazy to make real coffee.

Had to buy an espresso machine and grinder because I was spending more on coffee each week than I was on cigarettes. It's not even that hard to get coffee beans these days, every other town seems to have coffee roasting company. My local sells a bag of beans for a fiver and I get about a week out of the bag. Compared to spending €1.50 a cup before hand and having up to 3 cups a day. Now I have 3 cups of freshly squeezed coffee for breakfast each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I buy my beans from Starbucks and ask them to grind them for me. Then I make the coffee in a French press. Doesn't take long and it's very easy to clean, no need to have a grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

While freshly ground coffee is hard to beat even decent quality ready ground coffee is usually streets ahead of most instants in terms of taste. I find instant coffee foul for the most part, way too bitter. I'd be interested to hear how many of those praising the taste of the pod coffees have tried making ground coffee (either from beans or ready ground) at home themselves or whether they went straight from instant to the pods. While I'd find the likes of Nespresso better tasting than most instant coffees I really don't think they'd beat coffee from a stove pot or French press at a similar price point, though I am quite fond of the Lavazza pods I'd have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I'm totally with the OP.

I can take coffee black white, strong weak, but only made from ground beans.

Caffitiere, coffee bags, pods, Bialetti.... don't care, but yet to find an instant that I can tolerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You can pick up a French press quite cheaply, and get some standard ground coffee and keep it airtight in the fridge. Takes about 5 minutes to make, but that's just pouring in water and then waiting 5 mins.

That's basic stuff, but still way better than instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

osarusan wrote: »
    You can pick up a French press quite cheaply,

That's basic stuff, but still way better than instant.

Where did you pick up your "French press" ?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=French+Press

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=French+Press

I don't doubt it's better then instant coffee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Was that supposed to be funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The amount of money they charge for "barista style" coffee is a joke: all that is is the same instant coffee with the addition of some fine ground coffee, at double the price or more. I make my own "ghetto barista" coffee by adding ground coffee to instant. About 5 heaped tsp of ground per 100g jar of instant, mixed well in a bigger jar. Big improvement, just don't drink the grounds that sink to the bottom of the cup.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's latteh not lattay

uncultured swine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im partial to 3 or 4 cups of Kenco blue label a day

It's latteh not lattay

uncultured swine.

Actually it's caffe "latteh" if you want to be pedantic about it. Trying ordering a latte in Italy & see what they bring you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I hate the way in some coffee shops they think they're doing you a favour by serving you a coffee in a larger cup. You're diluting my coffee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I hate the way in some coffee shops they think they're doing you a favour by serving you a coffee in a larger cup. You're diluting my coffee!

Dude, just chew the beans and let your stomach do the diluting!

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Unless of course there's an extra espresso shot in the larger cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

Pessimist wrote: »
    I would rather drink tea when I'm at someone's house than drink the stuff.

Real tea or tea bag?

Advertisement