Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant coffee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

gdavis wrote: »
    +1 on the milicano,gorgeous,and i guarantee half u experts would not pick it out in a lineup with ur "proper" coffees:)
    Yes we would! That doesn't neccessarily mean all instants are bad, but it is easy enough to distinguish them from proper ground coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Not true. I love a really decent coffee but have no snobbishness towards instant. I'll happily drink an Asda Instant coffee all day :) That said, there's nothing I love more than an excellent real coffee on a Sunday morning.

likewise, i love good coffee (especially Lavazza) but i have a jar of tesco gold in the cupboard because i think its lovely. the douwe egberts comes out when we have visitors:o

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Pessimist

put a spoonful or more of cocoa powder in with it for transformation into instant mocha.

-woud also strongly recommend getting a tin of spray cream and some of that ice cream syrup [caramel is awesome].
    put cream on the coffee,and squirt some of that sauce on top...mmmmmm,golden syrup works just as well though if have got a tin of that lying around.
    ****,fancy one right now,we only have asda smart price coffee here.[/Quote]

Sounds very interesting! Might make the instant drinkable as well:-)

Will try ur recommendation though, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

I hate that it's unacceptable to ask whether it's instant when someone offers you a coffee.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine that some people don't notice the difference, don't like coffee or even prefer it, but to me it's like being offered a steak and being given a rib steak.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Goodshape wrote: »
    I actually kind of like it on occasion, but it's not a substitute for proper coffee. It's just a reasonably tasty hot drink.
    The most important thing is that it contains caffeine.

I love the smell of freshly ground beans and the whole ritual of brewing coffee.

But priority #1 is the ingestion of caffeine.

Regardless of the snobbery of ground vs. instant there's a whole bunch of people who like civet shít and they can now have informed discussions about how it compares to elephant poo.

Given the choice between a crap-accino and Maxwell House I'd probably start chewing a tea bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I drink it at work just because it's teh only thing available there. Otherwise I'd get the real thing. Coffee ..... drool

But i get funny looks when I warm milk in the microwave and then add a spoonful of the instant so-called coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

So, I don't like Tea but I wouldn't make a thread calling it muck or look down on other people for drinking it.

Seriously tastes are relative, who cares what other people like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Milicano and Carte Noir are good instant coffees.

Everything else,instant wise,is muck.

How Maxwell House can be labeled "Coffee" is beyond me.

I'd prefer a real coffee but it's not always practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Some instant coffee can be quite decent. It's obviously not a patch on the "real" stuff taste or smell wise, but sometimes I just want a cup of something with plenty of caffeine that doesn't involve much hassle (especially at work) and some Carte Noir does just fine.

The really powdery instant coffee, like Maxwell House, is pure muck though, hate the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I don't see the difference between the two? If 'real coffee' is the coffee they sell in cafés then I prefer instant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Real coffee doesn't take any longer to make if you're kitted out for it and it's not any more expensive. So what are the advantages to instant? I* can't think of any, unless you see ingesting liquids that taste like they were stored in a hot bowel as an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Carte Noire is by far the best, and the Kenco new ones from the tine are nice but most instant is rotten. Maxwell House is muck, Nescafe isn't much better really and Robt Roberts is disgusting as well. Worst of all though are those powdery sachets full of 'cappucino'. Vile. If you're going to have a cappucino make it properly or don't bother. I'm going to buy one of the coffee shop machines eventually and make proper, shop bought coffee every day. Don't care if it costs me 500 or whatever, for me it'd be more necessary and useful than a TV or any other expensive household appliance.

Geo10 wrote: »
    I don't see the difference between the two? If 'real coffee' is the coffee they sell in cafés then I prefer instant

If you can't tell the difference between the two then I'm afraid there is no hope for you.

When it comes to cappuccino I actually think the instant sachets are 1000x nicer than the cappuccinos made in cafes and hotels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

For years I thought I didn't like coffee - because I had only tasted instant.

I was wrong. Real coffee is amazing. And it wasn't a case of developing a taste for it. Instant still tastes like muck.

When it comes to cappuccino I actually think the instant sachets are 1000x nicer than the cappuccinos made in cafes and hotels

This post confirms there is no hope for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yeh I find most instant I've tasted to be more and more mankind as ice gotten accustomed to the real stuff. Can't help it, it's not a choice or anything. As said, the instant coffees that are supposed to imitate the real thing (like that one with the ad where the bint of a woman expects her fella to go out in the pissing rain to buy her a coffee) aren't too bad though. Still nothing like the real thing, but made properly (only warm water, nowhere near boiling) can be pleasant enough.

This post confirms there is no hope for you.

I didn't criticise you for your tastes? :confused: Why are you critcising mine? I had instant cappuccino all my life, to me the cafe made cappuccino just doesn't taste the same.
    People like different things, that's a part of life :P

I didn't criticise you for your tastes? :confused: Why are you critcising mine? I had instant cappuccino all my life, to me the cafe made cappuccino just doesn't taste the same.
    Ah they're only messing with ya!

Actually I wonder are undertones of misandry used to market those fancy instant coffees. There's the one with the pouring rain, and there was a Carte Noir one where the utter gowl of a woman demanded her poor fella get the hell out because he didn't look very hot and the girls were coming over. Then she has a vision of a creepy looking Callum Best type dude in a satin shirt serving her the coffee...

No you didn't. I'm sorry.

If you enjoy the taste of instant cappuccino then fair play to you. Enjoy the hell out of it.

I just find it a bit odd is all.

• Advertisement

No you didn't. I'm sorry.

If you enjoy the taste of instant cappuccino then fair play to you. Enjoy the hell out of it.

I just find it a bit odd is all.

I'd say it's just what you're used to! :P Maybe if I was drinking "real" cappuccino all my life and then tried instant, I'd hate instant... but for me it's they other way around :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I don't need you to tell me how f*cking good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys SH*T. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It AIN'T the coffee in my kitchen, it's the dead n*gger in my garage!

• Site Banned Posts: 29 Nailin4Whales

Instant coffee is something you drink in the 80's before your dinner of microwaved processed meat from tins inside your 'bungalow blitz' house while sitting on one of the cheap chairs that you're after buying from some British chain that just set up in Ireland and you say to yourself

"Ahh, instant coffee, just pour water into it, isn't this amazing! Between this and the microwave and the processed crap I ate today and the new oil boiler I am such a moderner. This is what modern life is about"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Regardless of the snobbery of ground vs. instant there's a whole bunch of people who like civet shít and they can now have informed discussions about how it compares to elephant poo.

I was given enough (yes given!! - it's $300 a pound) to make a pot at a festival last year. I shared it around, even the "I hate coffee" people thought it was delicious. It's amazing, make a point of trying it.

You do know it isn't ****, rather the beans after they pass through a civit.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Nonsense- ye wouldn't have a clue which was which in a blind taste test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

This thread makes me cry.

CommanderC wrote: »
    Nonsense- ye wouldn't have a clue which was which in a blind taste test.
    Guarantee you I would.
    Well I might be fooled by a well-made one of those instants that are kinda substitutes for real coffee, but an Aldi one or bog-standard nescafe - simples.

By the way, knew the s word would get trotted out. personal preference doesn't mean snobbery.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Guarantee you I would.

And me.

• Site Banned Posts: 29 Nailin4Whales

MadsL wrote: »
    I was given enough (yes given!! - it's $300 a pound) to make a pot at a festival last year. I shared it around, even the "I hate coffee" people thought it was delicious. It's amazing, make a point of trying it.

You do know it isn't ****, rather the beans after they pass through a civit.

Anything that comes out of a civit's arse that you didn't put in there yourself is by definition shit

• Advertisement

While Googling "Civet" I came across this http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/nov/19/civet-coffee-abuse-campaigners

Not so appealing now.

Advertisement