Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instant coffee

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

And me.
    Well I might be fooled by a well-made one of those instants that are kinda substitutes for real coffee, but an Aldi one or bog-standard nescafe - simples.

By the way, knew the s word would get trotted out. personal preference doesn't mean snobbery.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

token101 wrote: »
    I'm going to buy one of the coffee shop machines eventually and make proper, shop bought coffee every day. Don't care if it costs me 500 or whatever, for me it'd be more necessary and useful than a TV or any other expensive household appliance.
    Get a small one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

search Amazon /ebay for Moka

or ask people going on a winter hol to sunnier climes to have a look for one in a supermarket

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I like both and living in NZ and working for a coffee roaster that doesn't go down to well, they're real snobby about it here.
    the big problem is you can never get a proper big mug of real coffee when out, only prissy little cups of it.

I like my coffee how I like my tea, a lot of it, in a mug, begorrah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My choice of Instant Coffee is very thin on the ground. Kenco are Cart Noir (Made by the same company)

Usually would go for tea if instant was offered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

Get a small one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

search Amazon /ebay for Moka

or ask people going on a winter hol to sunnier climes to have a look for one in a supermarket

I have a large one of these that I got for €20 from tk max (strangely enough), It makes 4 little cups of coffee but the whole thing goes into my super duper mug in the morning.

Zing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Tea snobs (barry's versus Lyons bull****).
    Wine snobs.
    Coffee snobs.
    Food snobs.
    Water snobs.

Me ?
    I'm a snob snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Maxwell House Mild Blend - revolting, tastes like gravy.

Carte Noir/Kenco - very nice for a quick cup

Ground Coffee brewed in this - incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

lynski wrote: »
    cant stand instant coffee and will never take it. I will take the microground things (azera etc)

As someone who loves coffee I can't stand azera, probably because it's 95% instant coffee and 5% finely ground roast coffee. *shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Andy P wrote: »
    Instant coffee is to ground coffee as oxo is to real gravy.

Instant coffee is a flavoured powder not coffee.

Great espresso or a good cup of tea. They cant be bet.

+1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Each to their own. I don't consider myself a coffee snob just because I am specific about what I enjoy. It's a lazy stereotype, it's not an expensive hobby or preference so it's not like I will only drink champagne!

I seldom drink coffee in other people's houses and will only drink Americanos if I am not sure if a place has those pots of piss where they leave the coffee in all day.

The maximum cups of coffee I will have in a day is 2 as I know anymore can effect my sleep or make me wired. I really enjoy my cup of coffee so why shouldn't I allow myself to be picky at what coffee I drink?

Incidentally for somebody who mentioned spending €500 on a good coffee machine, I spent €75 on one in argos at Christmas that is awesome. I buy my espresso from costa coffee and it has the milk steamer and everything and I'm saving myself a fortune on regular trips to the coffee shop!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭miggins

I find azera and milicano leaves a lot of dust in the bottom of the cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

TheUsual wrote: »
    Tea snobs (barry's versus Lyons bull****).
    Wine snobs.
    Coffee snobs.
    Food snobs.
    Water snobs.

Me ?
    I'm a snob snob.

Add to that;

Radio Snobs
    TV Snobs
    Boards Snobs
    Beer Snobs

Me?
    I'm Irish, everything's grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I am really surprised nobody has mentioned Nescafe Expresso instant.

I swear its as close as your gonna get to the real stuff, its absolutely amazing for an instant brand,

Its not cheap @5 euro a jar but it has a real quality to it and is by far and away the best instant coffee I have ever tasted.. and I include Millicano in that statement,try it...you might be surprised...I know I was! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Pessimist wrote: »
    Am I the only person in Ireland that loves 'real' coffee but absolutely detests instant coffee? I would rather drink tea when I'm at someone's house than drink the stuff.

Does anyone else hate instant this much or am I just too fussy?

Not at all.

Instant coffee is the beer equivalent of budweiser/carlsberg/heineken/coors etc.

Put it back in the horse.

Real java now, thats beautifull.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Each to their own. I don't consider myself a coffee snob just because I am specific about what I enjoy. It's a lazy stereotype, it's not an expensive hobby or preference so it's not like I will only drink champagne!

I seldom drink coffee in other people's houses and will only drink Americanos if I am not sure if a place has those pots of piss where they leave the coffee in all day.

The maximum cups of coffee I will have in a day is 2 as I know anymore can effect my sleep or make me wired. I really enjoy my cup of coffee so why shouldn't I allow myself to be picky at what coffee I drink?

Incidentally for somebody who mentioned spending €500 on a good coffee machine, I spent €75 on one in argos at Christmas that is awesome. I buy my espresso from costa coffee and it has the milk steamer and everything and I'm saving myself a fortune on regular trips to the coffee shop!

Your definitely not a coffee snob if you think an Americano comes from a pot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I hate instant coffee, love the real thing. I hate when you’re at somebody’s house and they offer tea or coffee and they only have instant. And then by the time I realise it it’s too late to say ‘ah, I’ll have a cup of tea actually’. Also those instant cappuccino sachets, they’ve so much sugar! I never have sugar in my coffee. So yeah, I’m a bit of a coffee snob I suppose….

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

The Dagda wrote: »

Your definitely not a coffee snob if you think an Americano comes in a pot!

You might want to read that post again. Pretty sure the poster didn't say an Americano comes in a pot.

Drumpot wrote: »
    will only drink Americanos if I am not sure if a place has those pots of piss where they leave the coffee in all day.
    Osborne wrote: »
    You might want to read that post again. Pretty sure the poster didn't say an Americano comes in a pot.

I read it that he will only drink Americanos if he's sure if it's not coming from a pot of coffee that's been there all day.

On second glance, I'm actually not sure what he is saying, so I admit I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Years ago you could get an instant coffee (Robert Roberts i think) with chicory, i remember it as being very nice indeed, but i can't find it anywhere now. Does anyone remember it, or know somewhere that sells it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The Dagda wrote: »
    I read it that he will only drink Americanos if he's sure if it's not coming from a pot of coffee that's been there all day.

On second glance, I'm actually not sure what he is saying, so I admit I may be wrong.

You are correct . . I didnt go into detail and wasnt suggesting that I will only drink Americanos if Im sure its not coming from a pot .

What I mean was that I know alot of places uses those pots of coffee and to make sure (if i take the risk of having a coffee in a place Im not sure, which I seldom do) I dont get this pot of piss , I ask for an americano or Capucchino. I find that most places will say that they dont do Americanos if they dont have decent coffee.

Most pubs dont do nice coffee, but if I want a cup, I will ask for an Americano and most of them will say we only have the instant stuff (or the pot of piss). Im quite specific about what coffee I drink and usually very picky . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Bumping this to ask people's opinions...

What's the best instant available in Tesco/Dunnes/Super Valu?

I keep a jar in my desk in work just in case our coffee machine is out of whack (it happens a lot) and we only have the water heater then. I usually get Azera but have had it too often that it doesn't really taste like much anymore, so what would people suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I keep a jar in my desk in work just in case our coffee machine is out of whack (it happens a lot) and we only have the water heater then. I usually get Azera but have had it too often that it doesn't really taste like much anymore, so what would people suggest?
    Lavazza instant coffee (think I got it in Dunnes) is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah you're probably not welcome to ask for powder coffee in Coffee/Tea forum :D

I go with Nescafe Gold, since that advert many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

How about getting an aeropress and keeping that in your desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Since we got a coffee machine at home, instant coffee has definitely declined in my estimation pretty dramatically. I'd still drink it in a bind though, like if it was the only thing on offer. It's not awful; it's just not coffee.

Edit: Oh this is an old zombie thread. Whoops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

NiallBoo wrote: »
    How about getting an aeropress and keeping that in your desk?

I dont think I'd really have a need, since our machine works most of the time here. It's just as a backup! (Plus, access to nice coffee 24/7 may see my consumption reach dangerous levels!!)

But I'll keep it in mind. I know a few in here have used them but they do tend to disappear.
    Since we got a coffee machine at home, instant coffee has definitely declined in my estimation pretty dramatically. I'd still drink it in a bind though, like if it was the only thing on offer. It's not awful; it's just not coffee.

Edit: Oh this is an old zombie thread. Whoops.

Im in the same boat - as I say, it's just to have something nice (ish) as a back up for when I cant use what I'd normally use.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Expensive instant coffee is about as good as mid-range 'real' coffee in my experience. You really get what you pay for though. I've had cheap supermarket own brand and it was disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I went to Barcelona few years back and there was a nespresso machine in the lobby ... I was less than 2 weeks home when I bought my own.. there is no coffee like it.. the number 10 11 and 12 .. the substitutes don't live up to them either... Funny I don't like caffinated teas .. rooibos or lemon and ginger are my favourite..
    I've nothing against instant, drank it for years but I could never get it strong enough with it going bitter ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They should state the caffeine content on all jars of instant coffee.

Then the informed consumer can decide how they'd like their daily dose wrapped up.

Advertisement