Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - RDS - 15th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pokethebear

adrian522 wrote: »
    Seen Neil Young twice, once was one of the best gigs I was ever at while the other was one of the biggest let downs.

I'm not a fan at all of overly long guitar solos and general self indulgent stuff which I saw a lot of in Malahide, though the setlist was really good, I didn't leave with a very good feeling for the show.

The point in 2001 however was excellent.
    Agree that Malahide was poor but the night after in Cork was one of his best I'v seen so we just got him on a bad night that night. Don't think the venue suited him either. 5,000 people in a tent definitely did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Agree that Malahide was poor but the night after in Cork was one of his best I'v seen so we just got him on a bad night that night. Don't think the venue suited him either. 5,000 people in a tent definitely did.

I thought the Malahide Castle gig was excellent, No Hidden Path was great, with his introduction to it, indicating he was taking us on a journey!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Really enjoyed Malahide. But seriously if you didn't like Malahide you won't enjoy Neil with Crazy Horse one bit. Quote from Neil on Glasgow last night:

Neil Young:
    Neil Young back on for encore, “if you’re on the the train, you better leave; the train leaves in 9 minutes. You’ll still hear us…”

Review of Birmingham gig:
    One word of warning - if you have only 'Harvest' in your cd collection and want to tick off a Neil Young gig then you may be in for an ear-bleeding surprise.

Some of the songs in his set list can run over 20 minutes long. And I love it.

One thing I find about Neil Young concerts is that people arrive on not expecting the earbleeders and complain that the gig was ****, when in fact It was Neil doing what he does best.

Another thing to note is that regular reviews say that Neil is 'on fire' and 'in the zone'. With Crazy Horse on board that can only mean one thing....

SMELL THE HORSE OFF THIS ONE!!!

Would love to see them do Like a Hurricane. Seen him do it before but not with the Horse.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Jilm

Some concert Info:
    Gates Open: 16:00
    Little Green Cars: 17:00
    Los Lobos: 18:00
    The Waterboys: 19:15
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse: 20:30

Arrive Early - Patrons are advised to be in the concert arena 30 minutes prior to show time.

* Times are subject to change

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Guill wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Malahide. But seriously if you didn't like Malahide you won't enjoy Neil with Crazy Horse one bit.

This is a kind of attitude I hate. If you didn't like one particular gig you won't like any.

Not all gigs are the same, some are better than others, it is possible to enjoy one gig and not enjoy another.

For a start Malahide is a s**t venue, loads of people apparently interested in getting s**tfaced than watching the band.

They played the point in 2001 and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. One of the best gigs I was ever at.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    This is a kind of attitude I hate. If you didn't like one particular gig you won't like any.

Not all gigs are the same, some are better than others, it is possible to enjoy one gig and not enjoy another.

For a start Malahide is a s**t venue, loads of people apparently interested in getting s**tfaced than watching the band.

They played the point in 2001 and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. One of the best gigs I was ever at.

Take my comment in context and you might understand. Someone said they didn't like Malahide cause of the over indulgent guitar solos. I replied that means they won't enjoy tomorrow as I know it will be full of guitar solo's. I never said the person won't like any of his gigs....

Edit: It was you!!! Seriously??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, that was me. I still maintain it was a poor gig by NY standards, and I've heard the same from a fair few others.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't go see him again though and certainly doesn't mean that I couldn't enjoy ANY Neil Young with Crazy Horse gig.

At least I don't think so.

Lets just both enjoy Neil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy9zhUrSMcQ

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Pinkman

22-26K expected by Aiken Promotions according to the IT. Should be a great gig - the support acts are top notch as well.

Guill wrote: »

Unfortunately Youtube is a nogo area for me in work but I'll take a look this evening!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Guill, Im with you 100%.

Ive seen Neil Young 8 times and the "loud" shows with Crazy Horse are always the best.

@Adrian522, Malahide is a fantastic venue, easy access to toilets and bars and a 10min walk to a DART station and civilisation.

You can hardly label a venue as **** because the crowd who show up want to over indulge in alcohol. By that mindset, a venue with no bar would be brilliant?!

I have Neil Youngs gig in Malahide on 2 CD's and the performances of "Love and Only love", "Hey Hey My My" and "No Hidden Path" are nothing short of amazing. Indeed, the latter song clocked in at 32mins.

Tomorrow promises more of the same and I for one cannot f@ckin wait!

poundhound wrote: »
    Guill, Im with you 100%.

Ive seen Neil Young 8 times and the "loud" shows with Crazy Horse are always the best.

@Adrian522, Malahide is a fantastic venue, easy access to toilets and bars and a 10min walk to a DART station and civilisation.

You can hardly label a venue as **** because the crowd who show up want to over indulge in alcohol. By that mindset, a venue with no bar would be brilliant?!

I have Neil Youngs gig in Malahide on 2 CD's and the performances of "Love and Only love", "Hey Hey My My" and "No Hidden Path" are nothing short of amazing. Indeed, the latter song clocked in at 32mins.

I don't know, never a fan of gigs in that pace for whatever reason, been to 3 gigs there and didn't overly enjoy any of them, couldn't put my finger on it to be honest.

Agree tomorrow should be good, seems to be doing good things on this tour.

poundhound wrote: »
    Guill, Im with you 100%.

I need a copy of this.
    Where and how?

I remember no hidden path! It was unbelievable! I danced around like a hippy for the whole lot!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

Can people with standing tickets enter at any entrance or just the entrance stated on the ticket as mine has a different entrance to a friends standing ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I really can't wait for this now. It should be a fantastic night. If they played Cortez The Killer that would just top it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Lookng at the weather, if it's wet, would you need boots etc? Never been to gig there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

Its a show-jumping arena. I suggest you take a little trip to your local Blacksmith for appropriate footwear.:D

Saw him at Slane in 93 and indoors RDS with Pearl Jam in '95. Serious ear bleeder that one.

This will be my first with the Horse ( and probably last). Great to see him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

Chelon wrote: »
    Lookng at the weather, if it's wet, would you need boots etc? Never been to gig there before.

That white plastic stuff will be on the pitch! No wellies needed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Heading up to the RDS with the missus tomorrow, the weather forecast doesn't look too bad for the evening.

I was persuaded to buy seated tickets in the stand, hopefully will have a good view of the stage, at least Neil won't be bouncing around too much at his age.

I've only seen him once before (in Slane), really looking forward to this one. Cortez or Hurricane would be great, but some of the stuff from the new album is pretty good (Walk Like a Giant, Ramada Inn).

Shakey won't be touring for too much longer, enjoy the show everyone. After all, it's better to burn out than fade away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Chelon wrote: »

Met.ie says no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

What time are water boys on at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Flysfisher wrote: »

about 7 or half past i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Waterboys 7.15
    Neil Young 8.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I hope he plays Drifting back along with some of his other loud classics tonight. Those 20 plus minute songs with the guitar raging in anger are my type of Neil Young song.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Well that was...meh...
    More to follow...no doubt.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Worse than meh, not a patch on the O2 gig. A mate of mine was halfway back in the south stand and couldn't hear a thing with the westerly breeze/wind. Was their a vid screen back there even?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

The only good thing about that was the free tickets (and Cortez)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

Worst concert ever! Bad sound, terrible play list, no atmosphere. First time we ever left a concert early. People were booing at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

epiphone wrote: »
    Worst concert ever! Bad sound, terrible play list, no atmosphere. First time we ever left a concert early. People were booing at one point.

Have to agree. I am a big neil fan for 30 years, seen all his shows in Ireland. This was awful self indulgent bollocks.
    The rds is a dump.
    Awful, awful stuff. I want my money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Maybe I'm a bit clueless with me being young and it being my first NY gig but I thought he was good! Went on too long with the solos and the strange feedback noises at times (especially during Ramada Inn I think it was?) but other than that I thought his singing was pretty perfect and his playing was decent. I was about 10 rows from the front standing.

Advertisement