Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - RDS - 15th June

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Perhaps the people wanting to know what Neil Young & Crazy Horse will be playing can check for themselves,

I know there are people who would like to know what the band are playing, so for their sake fair play to pokethebear for posting it for them, but I wish it had been in spoiler tags, as revealing the entire set list of a recent show is one Very Big spoiler!

I did look away as soon as I realized what I was looking at, but I don't see why I should have to, the recent tour set list is a spoiler and therefore should be hidden in spoiler tags, so the people wanting to know the set list and can check and the people trying to avoid it can do so too, win/win IMO!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Perhaps the people wanting to know what Neil Young & Crazy Horse will be playing can check for themselves,

I know there are people who would like to know what the band are playing, so for their sake fair play to pokethebear for posting it for them, but I wish it had been in spoiler tags, as revealing the entire set list of a recent show is one Very Big spoiler!

I did look away as soon as I realized what I was looking at, but I don't see why I should have to, the recent tour set list is a spoiler and therefore should be hidden in spoiler tags, so the people wanting to know the set list and can check and the people trying to avoid it can do so too, win/win IMO!

Sorry, but this is one of the daftest things I've ever read on here.

I'm driving up from Limerick, heading down after the show, leaving around midnight. Any suggestions on where to park?
    Not overly familiar with Dublin. Thanks.

Another suggestion: Beech Hill estate is a 10 min or less walk down the canal to the entrance. That's where I'd park (if I didn't actually live here) and you won't have to pay a cent. You could even be cheeky and park it in the Angler's Rest townhouses car park just inside the entrance to the estate. It's usually fairly empty at weekends as people go home to wherever they come from.

If you hadn't of rushed this nothing post you could have included your information for pokethebear in the one post.

I can't imagine you read much, if my very simple post flew over your head,
    Perhaps someone else will explain the concept of spoiler tags to you.

Maybe next time you post you could try explain yourself a bit better.

If you hadn't of rushed this nothing post you could have included your information for pokethebear in the one post.

Perhaps someone else will explain the concept of spoiler tags to you.

Maybe next time you post you could try explain yourself a bit better.

Simple explanation so: lambasting someone for posting a recent setlist is ridiculous. If they had posted what Neil was going to play on Saturday, transcripts of whatever he's gonna say between songs, how many mm of rain there is going to be, fine. That'd spoil the enjoyment somewhat. But he didn't.

And because I read a book every couple of weeks or so, I'm at a reading-level where if I saw the word "setlist", I would know to scroll down the page and not read it, if I didn't want to know what a group has been playing lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Perhaps someone else will explain the concept of spoiler tags to you..
    at a reading-level where if I saw the word "setlist", I would know to scroll down the page and not read it, if I didn't want to know what a group has been playing lately.

Put away the handbags ladies - Love and Only Love Will Endure

(which will coincidentally be the first song on Saturday!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Loving the 27 minutes of Driftin' Back and the 16 minutes of Walk like a Giant- hope he plays one of these.

Simple explanation so: lambasting someone for posting a recent setlist is ridiculous. If they had posted what Neil was going to play on Saturday, transcripts of whatever he's gonna say between songs, how many mm of rain there is going to be, fine. That'd spoil the enjoyment somewhat. But he didn't.

And because I read a book every couple of weeks or so, I'm at a reading-level where if I saw the word "setlist", I would know to scroll down the page and not read it, if I didn't want to know what a group has been playing lately.

One final note, as this petty back and forth is becoming very silly!

Lambasting is quite a severe word to use here, I find it very frustrating when people reveal spoilers carelessly, there really is no need, this site is very user friendly, and adding spoiler tags to blatant spoilers is very simple to do.

I don't expect anyone coming back from the future to reveal show spoilers, that would surely be daft! but the truth of the matter is that the bare bones of any bands set list are a constant throughout a tour, I bet at least 90% of that recent set list which was posted on the last page will be played on Saturday in the R.D.S, the exception to this people may argue is Bruce Springsteen, but even about 70% of his set list these days remain unchanged night to night. So been told what a band is playing in recent concerts is surely a spoiler, and something I'd rather avoid. Yes a couple of songs may be changed here and there, but I bet the set list for the most part has been unaltered since the start of this tour.

As I mentioned in a previous post, which you must have missed, I did avoid looking at the set list posted as soon as I realized what it was, I am just making the point that not everybody going to this show would like to know what songs Neil and Crazy Horse are playing on this tour. It is very easy to avoid revealing this information.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

hi all,

im going to see neil young on saturday. i was never in the rds. i have a pitch standing ticket....G2 704. can anyone comment on where i would be ??

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

PLEASE PUT THAT SET LIST IN SPOILER TAGS!!!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD SOMEONE POST THE SET LIST 3 DAYS BEFORE THE CONCERT!!!!

Sorry if I am over reacting but I hate when people post the set list for concerts which are just a few days away!
    What is the point in knowing what is gonna be played and when!?

I know this concert will be incredible no matter what, but I'd rather leave the element of surprise.

Most gig threads I've seen on boards that I'm interested in going to have set lists * sorry, not trying to rile you or anything- it's just how it is on threads I've seen in the past*

• Advertisement

Lambasting is quite a severe word to use here, .
    PLEASE PUT THAT SET LIST IN SPOILER TAGS!!!

WHY ON EARTH WOULD SOMEONE POST THE SET LIST 3 DAYS BEFORE THE CONCERT!!!!

Ahem.

Chill out, brother, and enjoy the show. If you take as much acid as Poncho used to when playing back in the 70s it won't matter what setlist you've read, it'll all sound cosmic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

@ Roland Goose: I wouldn't worry about seeing the setlist, bar about 5 songs he changes it almost nightly.

@ Nokiatom: If you have a pitch ticket you can stand anywhere.

This will be my 9th Neil Young gig, everyone of them so far has been fantastic. Roll on Satudray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

poundhound wrote: »
    This will be my 9th Neil Young gig, everyone of them so far has been fantastic.

That's good. Personally, I've always found him to be a bit hit and miss, depending on the venue and the band he has with him... or, as in Vicar Street, the absence of a band. As Mojo magazine once described him on the cover, he's a stubborn old buzzard. Twenty minutes of Scenery in the RDS was insufferable, and No Hidden Path in Malahide and Cork was worse.
    This would be my assessment of the times I've seen him. The good far outweigh the bad, but the bad were truly awful:

RDS w/Pearl Jam * (terrible venue, in fairness)
    Point w/Crazy Horse 1996 ***** (I regarded this as one of my favourite gigs for years)
    Point w/Crazy Horse 2001 ****
    Vicar Street *****
    Vicar Street *****
    Vicar Street ***** (the last night was the best: Ambulance Blues in the encore)
    Malahide Castle *
    Cork Marquee *** (a significant improvement on the previous night)
    Dublin O2 **** (worth the admission price for Burned alone)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

No doubt that he does his own thing and doesn't seem too bothered what the audience thinks.

I have seen him a few times:

Vicar St: Played the whole Greendale album acoustically by himself which wasn't great to be fair

New York: Same as vicar street except with Crazy Horse.

London: First half of gig acoustic just himself which was absolutely brilliant. Then crazy horse for 2nd half which was hard to get into as we were tuned into the quieter first half of the acoustic gig where it felt you were in your sitting room with Neil playing his guitar.

I don't like outdoor concerts anyways so am not going to RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

RDS is a bad venue regardless of the artist playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

Anyone know of anywhere good in town to while away the hours before the gig? Or anything going on after? I'm thinking somewhere like bruxelles to for pre gig drinks but other gig goers may have suggestions...

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

I want to try and get as close as possible to the front, but never having been at a gig in the RDS don't know what to expect.

Is there usually a section at the front for those who arrive first? Are wristbands handed out for this area?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

For those wanting to be in the pit at the RDS the usual drill is to Q at the Simmonscourt Rd entrance.

As for getting to the venue, I usually park at one of the southside DART stations and get the DART to Sandymount (3 min walk to RDS)

Best bars - Waterloo (Baggot St) if heading out from city centre!

As for the set list - ignore the spoilers - he's been changing it around a lot the last few nights - didn't even open with Love and only Love last night

A flavour of whats to come on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 28 longforddude

Anyone know of anywhere good in town to while away the hours before the gig? Or anything going on after? I'm thinking somewhere like bruxelles to for pre gig drinks but other gig goers may have suggestions...

from 12.30 parnell sq

Live Acts:
    Hassle Merchants
    CuCullen
    Reggulators
    Andy Earley
    The High Life

DJ Sets:
    Worries Outternational (Reggae)
    Barry Krishna (Hip hop/Reggae)
    Yoda (D&B)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Am a big but not huge Neil Young fan but never seen him live, so was looking forward to this. However heard the first track from his new album and was less than impressed - indulgence is not a turn on for me.

As long as he doesn't waste half an hour on it on Saturday I'll be happy - and delighted to see the Waterboys as support.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

who_ru wrote: »
    RDS is a bad venue regardless of the artist playing.
    Its better than a field in the middle of nowhere in Meath .

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭oorrccaa

What time would you want to be getting there to be close to the front for Waterboys and Neil?

oorrccaa wrote: »
    What time would you want to be getting there to be close to the front for Waterboys and Neil?

6/6.30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Chelon wrote: »
    Am a big but not huge Neil Young fan but never seen him live, so was looking forward to this. However heard the first track from his new album and was less than impressed - indulgence is not a turn on for me.

As long as he doesn't waste half an hour on it on Saturday I'll be happy.

Have a feelin you're not going to be too impressed Saturday then!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pokethebear

phatkev wrote: »
    Agree, expect over indulgent use of feedack and long meandering solo's, few songs off the new album, coupe of obscure songs and plenty of horse fueled noise. If its Harvest and CSN&Y type material you want, sell your tickets and buy his archives. 2-3 acoustic songs in the mddle is al you'll get. This should be loud and ugly, just like the Horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Chelon wrote: »

As long as he doesn't waste half an hour on it on Saturday I'll be happy - and delighted to see the Waterboys as support.

Completely disagree on that. The longer the song the happier I am. Rock on Neil, Rock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Agree, expect over indulgent use of feedack and long meandering solo's, few songs off the new album, coupe of obscure songs and plenty of horse fueled noise. If its Harvest and CSN&Y type material you want, sell your tickets and buy his archives. 2-3 acoustic songs in the mddle is al you'll get. This should be loud and ugly, just like the Horse.

Great last sentence, sums it up for me. Ugly in a beautiful way! Seen Neil 3 times but yet to with Crazy Horse. Looking foward to this one more that any of the other 3, just for the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

phatkev wrote: »

Yeh kind of feeling that - don't get me wrong, I like his old stuff and most of his newer stuff. The last album I heard was "Living with war" which had some really strong songs on it, but I'm not sure if he does this kind of stuff when he's with Crazy Horse?

Let's hope the solos aren't too long for me...tbh I'd almost have paid the ticket price just to see the Waterboys, the Fisherman's Blues tour gig they did in Glasgow remains my best ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Seen Neil Young twice, once was one of the best gigs I was ever at while the other was one of the biggest let downs.

I'm not a fan at all of overly long guitar solos and general self indulgent stuff which I saw a lot of in Malahide, though the setlist was really good, I didn't leave with a very good feeling for the show.

The point in 2001 however was excellent.

Advertisement