Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulletproof Coffee

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

is there some reason coconut oil wouldnt work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gar_wafer

Kerrygold do sell unsalted butter in Ireland. I use it all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 all_aboard

Gar_wafer wrote: »
    Kerrygold do sell unsalted butter in Ireland. I use it all the time.

Its the one with the silver foil, isn't it? I could not see it on my last visit to Dunne's and Tesco's.

Where did you buy it? Thanks in advance.

all_aboard wrote: »
    Its the one with the silver foil, isn't it? I could not see it on my last visit to Dunne's and Tesco's.

Where did you buy it? Thanks in advance.

I defo buy it in a dunnes stores. And I also use the Supervalu brand unsalted,That's fine too

Anybody find some new beans that fit the criteria ?
    Or what are you guys using ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Anthropology

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jnicolau

Gar_wafer wrote: »
    I defo buy it in a dunnes stores. And I also use the Supervalu brand unsalted,That's fine too

Hi Ga_wafer,

Could you please tell me in which Dunnes Stores do you buy the unsalted butter?
    I would really appreciate.

Thanks,
    Joao

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭macco66

Not strong enough and it's the medium chain triglicerides that are needed out of it mostly. I've started using the Brain Octane and noticed a serious kick out of it. Aparently 18 times stronget than coconut oil. Had got it from UK but crowd in Ireland doing it now www.powerful.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mossy_Da_Dog

Does it work? Do you lose weight on it? Feel great?
    I hear it tastes great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Yeah, because he isn't selling any coconut oil!

Does it taste great? Yes
    Do you feel great on it? If you can get over the horrible stomach discomfort of mixing coffee and lots of fats and the resulting,messy, dump. Also if you are prone to anxiety or sensitive to coffee stay away.
    Do you lose weight on it? Well if you just add a bulletproof coffee instead of fixing your diet then no.

• Advertisement

I think taking Brain Octane (100% caprylic acid) is great but I can't justify the price (I have tried it).

I have found regular MCT Oil - http://higherlevelireland.com/index.php/product/mct-oil-32-oz/ is pretty good.

Maybe we could order some in bulk? - http://www.nestle-nutrition.com/products/Product.aspx?ProductId=a78e91dc-5fd0-4ecb-92d2-30dfe00ebf86

jnicolau wrote: »
    Hi Ga_wafer,

Thanks,
    Joao

I'm in Wexford so I get it in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nekkennek

jnicolau wrote: »
    Hi Ga_wafer,

Thanks,
    Joao

Generally with Dunnes you can put in a request for them to get a product, worked for me before on a separate product (not unsalted butter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Can't say i see sticking a knob of dairygold in every espresso a better alternative.

Unsalted butter, which dairygold is not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

This is a good read. The Author does mention 'whole grains' as something that would be advantageous to include in a diet. This is not true.

Reg. the lipid profile:

Total cholesterol: 303
    LDL-C: 178
    HDL-C: 106
    Triglycerides: 94
    Non-HDL-C: 197

Post-coconut oil lipids:
    Total cholesterol: 201
    LDL-C: 127
    HDL-C: 58
    Triglycerides: 77
    Non-HDL-C : 143

Her HDL dropped to half what it was (this is not great), 'Total LDL particles' is not a predictor of CVD. LDL-C is calculated in the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

This is a good read. The Author does mention 'whole grains' as something that would be advantageous to include in a diet. This is not true.

Reg. the lipid profile:

Total cholesterol: 303
    LDL-C: 178
    HDL-C: 106
    Triglycerides: 94
    Non-HDL-C: 197

Post-coconut oil lipids:
    Total cholesterol: 201
    LDL-C: 127
    HDL-C: 58
    Triglycerides: 77
    Non-HDL-C : 143

Her HDL dropped to half what it was (this is not great), 'Total LDL particles' is not a predictor of CVD. LDL-C is calculated in the test.

According to Dr Malcolm Kendrick all cholesterol figures are more or less irrelevant.

High hdl is correlated with low risk but increasing hdl from a low point doesn't reduce CVD risk.

It's all stress apparently! Interesting read if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

ford2600 wrote: »
    According to Dr Malcolm Kendrick all cholesterol figures are more or less irrelevant.

High hdl is correlated with low risk but increasing hdl from a low point doesn't reduce CVD risk.

It's all stress apparently! Interesting read if nothing else.

Yes cholesterol is fine and does its various important jobs very well. One of the jobs is patching up our artery walls when there are micro tears. Inflammation of our arteries is very common now due to modern lifestyles this combination of lifestyle and cholesterol is not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I just discovered about Bulletproof and was wondering if milk could be added to the coffee (latte) before blending with butter and MCT oil? I don't drink coffee by itself because I find it too strong. I only drink a small amount usually with lots of full fat milk. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vermilions wrote: »
    Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I just discovered about Bulletproof and was wondering if milk could be added to the coffee (latte) before blending with butter and MCT oil? I don't drink coffee by itself because I find it too strong. I only drink a small amount usually with lots of full fat milk. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    Trying to do it with a latte would be a bit pointless. If you don't like coffee, it might not be for you.

The milk solids in the butter actually give it a creaminess, no where near black coffee. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a strong flat white with a drop of oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

vermilions wrote: »

I use milk and sugar in mine, depending on my mood and what i fancy and it works just as well imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

Does butter and milk not come from the same place, so what harm could a bit of milk do?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kurn wrote: »
    Does butter and milk not come from the same place, so what harm could a bit of milk do?
    It's not about being harmful (depends on who you ask though). Milk and sugar would prevent ketosis, which is usually the purpose of drinking it.

On the other hand, if you just wanted to add few hundred calories to your coffee, no reason it could have milk/sugar. Comes down to your reasons really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i drink it because the 'up' you get from it is a lot smoother and longer lasting than just plain old coffee and i find it gives me a clarity of thought i am otherwise sometimes lacking, so i tend to have a more productive day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

Thanks for the replies guys :) I've had a weakened version of the bullet and I already feel the boost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

I have a bulletproof coffee every morning and it gives me great energy! But instaed of butter/coconut oil/MCT I use skim milk, two spoons of sugar and a spoon of drinking chocolate. The fat from the milk gives me loads of energy and has nothing to do with the caffeine content of the coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I have a pot of coffee blended with a half inch stick of butter every morning. I drink it during my workouts in the morning to save time. I use regular lavazza beans with kerrygold butter. I never tried the mct oil with it yet but want to.

Remmy wrote: »
    I have a pot of coffee blended with a half inch stick of butter every morning. I drink it during my workouts in the morning to save time. I use regular lavazza beans with kerrygold butter. I never tried the mct oil with it yet but want to.

I know a lad that didn't use kerrygold, it was butter from corn fed cattle and he put on 10kg. Putting a low satiation, calorificly dense liquid into your coffee first thing in the morning will only cause you to lose weight if it's from grass fed cows. When will people wake up? **** Monsanto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I know a lad that didn't use kerrygold, it was butter from corn fed cattle and he put on 10kg. Putting a low satiation, calorificly dense liquid into your coffee first thing in the morning will only cause you to lose weight if it's from grass fed cows. When will people wake up? **** Monsanto.

Ah I'm not really doing it to lose weight. I can't eat anything for a few hours after waking without dry-heaving:o. So bulletproof coffee + a protein shake sorts me right out till lunch. :)

• Advertisement

Remmy wrote: »
    Ah I'm not really doing it to lose weight. I can't eat anything for a few hours after waking without dry-heaving:o. So bulletproof coffee + a protein shake sorts me right out till lunch. :)

What about Monsanto?

Advertisement