Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Anthropology

Not true @siochain. The coffee matters.

Pretty hard to find a high spec. coffee in Ireland.
    i.e. Wet processed, High altitude, Single estate.

Will look into www.coffeemojo.ie

MCT wise this is the cheapest I've found - [Affiliate Link] http://bit.ly/CheapMCT made from palm kernal oil. I also suspect Dave Asprey gets PVL to private lable his brand of MCT OIL - (C:8 and C:10 only) [Affiliate Link] - http://bit.ly/c8c10MCT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭siochain

Not true @siochain. The coffee matters.

Pretty hard to find a high spec. coffee in Ireland.
    i.e. Wet processed, High altitude, Single estate.

[/url]

Why does it matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

siochain wrote: »
    Why does it matter ?
    The Bulletproof Executive guy has a schtick about mold/mycotoxins. His brand of coffee beans is specially produced to be free of mold/mycotoxins.
    I use instant coffee, but it would be interesting to see what kind of a difference fancy coffee makes.

The Bulletproof Executive guy has a schtick about mold/mycotoxins. His brand of coffee beans is specially produced to be free of mold/mycotoxins.
    I use instant coffee, but it would be interesting to see what kind of a difference fancy coffee makes.

Yeah I know about the martketing blurb which is great for him to upsell expensive coffee.

The coffee can be swapped with tea for pretty much the same effect.

The coffee can be swapped with tea for pretty much the same effect.

It can be swapped but you'll fall short of the benefits. There will be a small study <60 people trail that should be published soon regarding Upgraded Coffee vs. Regular Coffee. There is another croudsource one someplace done specifically for Bulletproof Coffee vs. Regular Coffee - http://www.bulletproofexec.com/cognitive-study-with-bulletproof-coffee/

• Advertisement

It can be swapped but you'll fall short of the benefits. There will be a small study <60 people trail that should be published soon regarding Upgraded Coffee vs. Regular Coffee. There is another croudsource one someplace done specifically for Bulletproof Coffee vs. Regular Coffee - http://www.bulletproofexec.com/cognitive-study-with-bulletproof-coffee/

fall short of which benefits?

are the studies independent and peer reviewed?

That link is not comparing the beans and the participants are recruited from the web site and first 100 get free beans............

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭macco66

the trick is in the fats. Upselling their brand of coffee is a gimmick. Save your cash.

I'd like to see for myself. Have you actually tried the coffee yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

The temperature coffee is roasted at will destroy all moulds and mycotoxins, mycotoxins are proteins and they'll denature between 41c and 79c coffee roasting is well over this.

Once again another "health" product marketed using fear.l

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Aspreys reply to this is I believe that yes the bugs die but their waste produce, toxins do not, during teh roasting process. dunno if true or not.

The toxins ARE proteins which will unfold and be rendered non toxic at the above temperatures. Don't trust me get some mycology texts and do some self research. Also how do you know other brands of coffee are infected with moulds?

• Advertisement

macco66 wrote: »
    I'd like to see for myself. Have you actually tried the coffee yourself?

Yeah tried the coconut fat, butter and coffee combo a few times keeps you full and good energy levels.

I have a tablespoon of coconut fat in fresh ground coffee (Aldi) a few morning a week before AM weight training sessions and it works a treat.

If you read my posts I issue I have is with the expensive brand of coffee the bullet proof crew are selling based on complete bull****.

Original ideas came from the Himalayas where the mix yak butter milk with tea.

Yeah tried the coconut fat, butter and coffee combo a few times keeps you full and good energy levels.

I have a tablespoon of coconut fat in fresh ground coffee (Aldi) a few morning a week before AM weight training sessions and it works a treat.

If you read my posts I issue I have is with the expensive brand of coffee the bullet proof crew are selling based on complete bull****.

With Asprey's 'Upgraded' Coffee? So as to be able to make a clear judgement between how you feel after trying his coffee and any other branded ground coffee? If you've tried both, then I'm all for taking on board what you're saying.

With Asprey's 'Upgraded' Coffee? So as to be able to make a clear judgement between how you feel after trying his coffee and any other branded ground coffee? If you've tried both, then I'm all for taking on board what you're saying.

Enlighten me as to what I should expect? Please share your experience and if you have some real facts to back up the marketing hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

i had that in a tibetan restaurant a couple of weeks ago, forget the name they had for it, was delicous ! been around a long time, sold as a traditional high himalyan drink

Enlighten me as to what I should expect? Please share your experience and if you have some real facts to back up the marketing hype.

I have absolutely zero idea what to expect and no experience at all of drinking it. That's why I'm asking you to share your experiences of the difference between drinking regular ground coffee and this upgraded coffee that Asprey is selling. Someone who's tried both will have a much more objective opinion.

You have tried this 'upgraded coffee', haven't you?

It’s very easy make an objective opinion on anything when you understand what’s under the bonnet.

Happen to know the basics of nutrition pretty well, secret is in the fats. When it comes to nutrition I deal in facts there is not one independently peer reviewed study backing any of the claims.

Anyone that says the feel different due to changing from regular ground coffee V’s upgraded coffee is purely placebo. Save your cash.

Thanks. So your opinion is entirely baseless as you have no experience trying the 'upgraded' coffee and there's so far been no peer reviewed studies done on it. I'll listen to those who've actually tried it.

Thanks. So your opinion is entirely baseless as you have no experience trying the 'upgraded' coffee and there's so far been no peer reviewed studies done on it. I'll listen to those who've actually tried it.

That’s right absolutely baseless, knock yourself out, good luck.

The largest sample tested was just 60 samples of beans, and was tested from only one source (Brazil). This is fine for individual studies, but in the real world there are hundreds (thousands?) of sources from many different countries. It's safe to say that the current studies don't even come close to testing all of the coffee from around the world. * Both OA studies found an incidence rate of approximately 50% for the OA-producing mold, at wildly different concentrations (minimum 0.2 ppb in one study, maximum 7.8 ppb in another). * Neither the FDA nor the EFSA actually have a legal limit for OA, but the EFSA "suggests" a limit of 8 µg/kg, which means that even the worst samples are below the very conservative legal limit. * One study actually tested the incidence of OA in brewed coffee, not just the beans, and found a maximum of 7.8 ppb in the brew (that's 7.8 µg per 1 kg of ground coffee). For reference, there's an EFSA directive recommending an intake of no more than 120 ng/kg (body weight) per week, which comes out to 8.4 µg/day for a 150 lb/70 kg individual, or 1.2 µg/day. * Based on the worst contamination of brewed coffee (7.8 µg/kg), doing the math, you'd have to consume the brew from 150 g of ground coffee per day. That's about half a standard-sized tin of coffee. Per day. * The 3rd study (the one rumtscho linked to, not cited by the blogger/con artist) looked at Aflatoxin, not Ochratoxin, which actually is regulated by the FDA at a maximum of 20 ppb. This study also showed approximately a 50% incidence rate after roasting, with the highest concentration of AT being 16 µg/kg for decaf (less with caffeine). So that means with any random cup of coffee you have up to a 50% chance of consuming an amount of AT that's still well below the FDA limit - that's very nearly zero risk

Some people just want to believe

It’s very easy make an objective opinion on anything when you understand what’s under the bonnet.

Happen to know the basics of nutrition pretty well, secret is in the fats. When it comes to nutrition I deal in facts there is not one independently peer reviewed study backing any of the claims.

Anyone that says the feel different due to changing from regular ground coffee V’s upgraded coffee is purely placebo. Save your cash.

There are no peer reviewed clinical studies. It would be ideal to have a longitudinal double blind placebo trial using twins and having a sample size of at least 1000. The link I provided was just to let you know there is some data being pulled together and there is more currently going on. I am pretty sure though @siochain your just backward rationalizing getting 'all the benefits' and not being swindled by marketing without testing yourself.

Your also speaking like you've never had MCT before, so I would just urge you to try it with the Upgraded coffee, it is expensive but for €20 to know if you are right seems to be a small step a person like you, surely can make.

Coconut oil is not MCTs so don't claim to have experienced what is stated as the beneficial concocton and if you think you need 'independently peer reviewed studies' your always going to be behind the ball, you probably could only take creatine, you would question the usefulness of fish oils and you'd be unsure of magnesium and vitamin D.

• Advertisement

The temperature coffee is roasted at will destroy all moulds and mycotoxins, mycotoxins are proteins and they'll denature between 41c and 79c coffee roasting is well over this.

Once again another "health" product marketed using fear.l

No it won't. Are you suggesting roasting, destroys all the mycotoxins? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17804104 "processes reduce mycotoxin concentrations significantly, but do not eliminate them completely"

After processing your going to get a dosage of OA in the range of 7 parts per billion, you'd need to be consuming upwards of 100g of ground coffee daily for months to accumulate any thing near a threshold toxic dosage therefore its pointless to consider.

There are no peer reviewed clinical studies. It would be ideal to have a longitudinal double blind placebo trial using twins and having a sample size of at least 1000. The link I provided was just to let you know there is some data being pulled together and there is more currently going on. I am pretty sure though @siochain your just backward rationalizing getting 'all the benefits' and not being swindled by marketing without testing yourself.

Your also speaking like you've never had MCT before, so I would just urge you to try it with the Upgraded coffee, it is expensive but for €20 to know if you are right seems to be a small step a person like you, surely can make.

Coconut oil is not MCTs so don't claim to have experienced what is stated as the beneficial concocton and if you think you need 'independently peer reviewed studies' your always going to be behind the ball, you probably could only take creatine, you would question the usefulness of fish oils and you'd be unsure of magnesium and vitamin D.

That post is wrong on so many of the points you made and I couldn't be bothered engaging with people who are closed books. Like I said to the other dude it you want to waste your cash go ahead a knock yourself out.

That post is wrong on so many of the points you made and I couldn't be bothered engaging with people who are closed books. Like I said to the other dude it you want to waste your cash go ahead a knock yourself out.

haha I'm the one asking you to open your book and try it. Good luck all the same, I do wish you the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

"You speaking like you never had MCT oil before." Ah the mystical magical MCT oil. I've had high quality freshly ground coffee beans with MCT oil and with butter. Feck all difference. The trick is in the fats and the caffeine, keep drinking the coolaid though. I'm sure my MCT oil just wasn't MCT enough though and the coffee just wasn't quality enough of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jnicolau

Hey guys,

Do you know where in Dublin I can buy unsalted Kerrygold butter.
    I've not been able to do my Bulletproof coffee because I could only find salted Kerrygold (and the other brands make me feel sick). I've been using slated butter and brain octane oil in strawberry milkshake (from frozen strawberries) and it has been working great for me. Salted butter is fine with milkshake but for the coffee I don't like it to be salted.

I got some in Dunnes in Stephen's Green last year, but I believe they're not selling it in Ireland now. It's definitely not in Tesco as I tried there last week. Maybe it's the Brain Octane that's making you feel queezy though? Aparently you have to find an amount that suits you individually, same with MCT.

Aldi do dairy manor irish creamery unsalted butter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Aldi do dairy manor irish creamery unsalted butter

I use Lidl insalted butter with cocunut fat and coffee from my lovely gaggia brera, or french press.

Whether placebo or not, I find it excellent in morning and typically only eat twice a day now. I find my concentration excellent.

They whole special coffee bean and MCT oil blurb sounded a little snake oily to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jnicolau

Thanks for the advice. Tried other brands of butter but they have bad impact on my health. Kerrygold is a very nice choice, I never felt bad with it and it's 98% grass-fed. It's just such a pity that they don't sell unsalted in Ireland. I've sent them an email asking to know if it's sold somewhere in Dublin but got no answer. But it seems that's available in other countries such as US, UK, Germany. As you know the Bulletproof coffee is about having a ketogenic breakfast with the best possible fat available (and no carbohydrates). The Brain Octane oil has also been having excellent impact im my mental clarity, proactivity and productivity at work. I've been taking it once, or twice a day if I need to do some extra work at night.

Advertisement