Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD's make prank call to protestors during a reposession!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Boombastic wrote: »
    So he was working until 10pm, while the others where drinking in the Dail bar.

Its good to see that you will defend the indefensible and repackage it in another way to make him sound honourable anyway sure he fixed the road.
    What you call working I would call illegitimately scouring for votes in order to attract the lowest common denominator of voters, then again he is ex-FF.
    The Irish electorate are not the best critical thinkers around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Disgraceful behaviour. No doubt the taxpayer will pick up the cost of the phone call AND the pizza.

Have they no shame?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Maybe the farmer when he took the loan several years ago should have considered the fact that he needed to re-pay the loan. A lot of mistakes where made by those in charge but when are people going to take responsibility for their own actions!

BTW Mattie McGrath is a joke let anyone take the piss out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Its good to see that you will defend the indefensible and repackage it in another way to make him sound honourable anyway sure he fixed the road.
    What you call working I would call illegitimately scouring for votes in order to attract the lowest common denominator of voters, then again he is ex-FF.

Which bit is indefensible? It was hire purchase.

Funny you are against the man that was actually working and all for the lads drinking in the bar messing, good on ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭flutered

no votes for him there, as it was not in his balliwick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

F.G / F.F. they're all the same.

Maybe so.

But it's particularly galling to see a FFer (the reFFormed ones are nearly worse-Healy-Rae as just one example) pretending that:

(a) It's ok to run away from one's debt in an opportunistic manner, and expect support from an elected official while doing so,

(b) As a member of the main party that allowed and encouraged such reckless lending to develop, and whom supported them with his vote throughout, he had nothing to do with the problem in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

bgrizzley wrote: »
    sure, havent they been pranking us for the last 2 years...
    and the rest!! the fukkers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

flutered wrote: »
    Regardless, it is not appropriate for him to use his position as TD to do favours for others

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭gearoidc

I like Mattie, the other 5 wasters especially that Tom Hayes lad.

" Tom is a keen reader, he recently read The Governor by John Lonergan which he thoroughly enjoyed. He loves eating fish and his favourite is lemon sole."

From his website....I kid you not. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Regardless, it is not appropriate for him to use his position as TD to do favours for others

Something something Quinn....

Something something Gilmore.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Which bit is indefensible? It was hire purchase.

Funny you are against the man that was actually working and all for the lads drinking in the bar messing, good on ya!

I'm not defending them. They were just as useless as McGrath but McGrath showing support for this was nothing more than a pathetic attempt to drum up some support by getting some national press attention. I didn't see the memo which stated you never had to pay back the company for an item that was hire purchased.

Define work for me. How exactly was he helping the country or his constituents?

Ironically he has gotten the attention not for that but as a result of a few TDs playing a prank on him.
    flutered wrote: »

I've already stated his obvious motives above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

What it goes to show is the utterley reprehensible attitude the main parties have against independant TD's. Its also a sad idictment of the standard of politician we have allowed stand and be voted in election after election.

The country is going down the tubes and some of the people entrusted to try to sort out the problem are spending time in the Dail bar drinking and making prank calls on fellow TD's and then spout the poor mouth as to how they have to work long hours blahdy blah. If we were an Arab country or had their mentality, there would have been a public uprising already. total shower of cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I'm not defending them. They were just as useless as McGrath but McGrath showing support for this was nothing more than a pathetic attempt to drum up some support by getting some national press attention. I didn't see the memo which stated you never had to pay back the company for an item that was hire purchased.

Define work for me. How exactly was he helping the country or his constituents?

Ironically he has gotten the attention not for that but as a result of a few TDs playing a prank on him.

I've already stated his obvious motives above.

None of us know the inner details in the case and from the OP:
    Ghandee wrote: »

We can argue all day on the 'farmers' legal obligations regarding his finacial affairs and what he may or may not owe to the banks (we can also argue what the banks now owe us, the tax payers for bailing them out) however, I think it was wholly inappropriate for TD's to call a fellow TD while working in the community (offering counselling and guidance) to a citizen about to have one of the most important 'tools' of his trade repossessed.

Opinions please?

Was the nurse who got prank called while at work also the idiot? Prank calls are childish and when it's our elected representatives, sitting in a subsided bar using a phone more than likely funded by the tax payer to do, it's totally inappropriate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They were having a pint after work?

Burn them. Burn them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Bad bob

What a shower of tossers!

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Ah, let them enjoy themselves while they're still in the Dail...... God knows they won't be there soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭gearoidc

Dean09 wrote: »
    I'm 25.
    I work in the motor trade which has been destroyed over the past few years. I did lose my job through it but thankfully I got employed again a short time later. So I have been affected by it, although I've been lucky enough to stay employed.
    Now dont get me wrong, im no fan of the government. Far from it. I just think its a harmless joke and its really not a big deal in the scheme of things. I think the people calling for them to be sacked and have pensions removed is a bit much.

A lot of people suspect that what goes on in the Dail is nothing more than empty posturing - a sham - and that in reality it is nothing more than a privileged club for assholes who are all actually quite chummy behind it all.
    This sort of bolloxology does nothing to dispel that notion. In the normal course of events, but especially given the week that was in it, you would like to think that these muppets could have been engaged in some behind-the-scenes debate that would indicate that they do actually give a **** about the people who voted for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe so.

But it's particularly galling to see a FFer (the reFFormed ones are nearly worse-Healy-Rae as just one example) pretending that:

(a) It's ok to run away from one's debt in an opportunistic manner, and expect support from an elected official while doing so,

(b) As a member of the main party that allowed and encouraged such reckless lending to develop, and whom supported them with his vote throughout, he had nothing to do with the problem in the first place.

Silly me. I thought the others just continued along with the same policies and made us all responsible for the debts of borrowers.

They were having a pint after work?

Burn them. Burn them all.

Drinking in a taxpayers subsidised bar, (possibly) using a govt provided phone.

This is what our tax money gets used for?

This is what you advocate we pay our taxes towards?

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Look at this from a different perspective.

Someone takes serious offence to what they did, has lost his job, his house, his family, is slightly off their head, walks into the dail bar, singles out one of them and shoots them dead.

1. Would sacking them and removing their pensions as against this instance be so bad?
    2. Would you have sympathy for the TD or the murderer?
    3. Do you think that such an action would wake up the lazy TD's in the Dail?

The reason I ask is that this has happened in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The whole matter reflects the disgusting light the pranksters see others in.
    Something to mock and belittle. Sadly an all too familiar story!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What it goes to show is the utterley reprehensible attitude the main parties have against independant TD's. Its also a sad idictment of the standard of politician we have allowed stand and be voted in election after election.

Mattie McGrath is FF in all but name.

Silly me. I thought the others just continued along with the same policies and made us all responsible for the debts of borrowers.

What's that assertion got to do with anything?

We're still talking about the bould Mattie and his escapades here, right?

Or are you holding him up as some sort of commendable character?

Fight the power, no matter who? Even if it's one of the collective cretins who got us here in the first place, or worse, those who attempted to ride on their coat tails?

What's that assertion got to do with anything?

We're still talking about the bould Mattie and his escapades here, right?

Or are you holding him up as some sort of commendable character?

Fight the power, no matter who? Even if it's one of the collective cretins who got us here in the first place, or worse, those who attempted to ride on their coat tails?

Mattie = Noonan = Gilmour = Bertie

All looking after themselves and their cronies. No difference.

Mattie = Noonan = Gilmour = Bertie

All looking after themselves and their cronies. No difference.

You're not far wrong. So what's the solution then?

I'd imagine you're not another one of the layabout posters we find, with all of the questions, none of the answers, and all day and night to post them at the taxpayer's expense.

I'd welcome an alternative view, for a change.

You're not far wrong. So what's the solution then?

I'd imagine you're not another one of the layabout posters we find, with all of the questions, none of the answers, and all day and night to post them at the taxpayer's expense.

I'd welcome an alternative view, for a change.

Never claimed the dole in my life.
    Voted for FG last time because of their promise to clean up politics and end cronyism. They turned out to be a mirror image of what they replaced. I am now totally disillusioned with politics.

Never claimed the dole in my life.
    Voted for FG last time because of their promise to clean up politics and end cronyism. They turned out to be a mirror image of what they replaced. I am now totally disillusioned with politics.

I never suggested you did!

To be honest, while they have done some good, they've missed an awful lot of open goals. Wilfully, and otherwise.

The likes of Stephen Donnelly shine a stark light on the failings of the whip system, as well as the political machine.

You should read his recent budget submission, before you give up altogether :)

I never suggested you did!

To be honest, while they have done some good, they've missed an awful lot of open goals. Wilfully, and otherwise.

The likes of Stephen Donnelly shine a stark light on the failings of the whip system, as well as the political machine.

You should read his recent budget submission, before you give up altogether :)

Stephen Donnelly is truly a breath of fresh air in Irish politics.

Energetic, young, (younger than most) articulate, and unlike the team of ex teachers etc we seem to attract, actually qualified, and experienced in financial affairs (on an international level)

His explanation on the 'bailout' actually being a sham was excellent, and not many (actually did any?) Politicians scorn it, deny it, nor contradict it.

We need more (80 or so at least) like him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ghandee wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly is truly a breath of fresh air in Irish politics.

Energetic, young, articulate, and unlike the team of ex teachers etc we seem to attract, actually qualified, and experienced in financial affairs (on an international level)

His explanation on the 'bailout' actually being a sham was excellent, and not many (actually did any?) Politicians scorn it, deny it, nor contradict it.

We need more (80 or so at least) like him.

Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Dean09 wrote: »
    The high horse brigade in here gets worse by the day.

They played a harmless practical joke on their work colleague. That's all.
    People in here are always looking to be outraged over something.
    Get a grip.
    Nobody was hurt. It cost no money to the taxpayer. It was hardly the crime of the century.
    And to the people saying members if opposite political parties shouldn't be friendly with each other.......that's just ridiculous.
    And I'm just waiting for somebody to make the leap that "it's this type of attitude that has the country in the mess its in".
    Cop on people and get your heads out of your arses.

The hate brigade don't need any excuse ... they just spout off ........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement