Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Killed Nashandra and I'm trying to get Sunlight Spear. If I hand over my sunbro medals at the altar and then go into a NG, does the Covenant rank reset and does it remember how many medals I handed over?

Like, if I give 29 medals and go into NG, do I just need one more medal in the next game to get Sunlight Spear?

Getting bored grinding for medals

I don't think so; NG starts again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I didn't think covenant rank resets when you start NG+?

Either way, you can get sunlight spear by playing into NG++ if you want, the ghost guy on the stairs in Drangleic castle sells all the spells/miracles/hexes in the game at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I didn't think covenant rank resets when you start NG+?

Either way, you can get sunlight spear by playing into NG++ if you want, the ghost guy on the stairs in Drangleic castle sells all the spells/miracles/hexes in the game at that point.

I don't think he sells them all. He doesn't have Sunlight Spear anyway

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I don't think he sells them all. He doesn't have Sunlight Spear anyway

In NG++ he should have everything, that's how I managed to get all the achievements iirc.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    In NG++ he should have everything, that's how I managed to get all the achievements iirc.

I didn't think he did, I'll fire it up and have a look later so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Killed Nashandra and I'm trying to get Sunlight Spear. If I hand over my sunbro medals at the altar and then go into a NG, does the Covenant rank reset and does it remember how many medals I handed over?

Like, if I give 29 medals and go into NG, do I just need one more medal in the next game to get Sunlight Spear?

Getting bored grinding for medals

The medals carry over. I only had 10 on my first play through but got the remaining 20 my my second play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

just in case, before I post it on adverts

have this game for the 360, looking to give it someone on here for free (live in dublin)

gave my 360 to my little sister and this game would be to hard for her, also planning on picking it up for the one when its released so if anyone wants it just pm me can meet in town on saturday
    if this is not aloud a mod can delete it and will just post it on adverts.
    also its only the standard edition

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

So picked this up on ps3 during the sales. Atm im lvl 41 with: vgr 7, end 7, vit 6, atn 6, str 11, dex 20, adp 25, int 6, fth 6. Im currently using the fire longsword+3, a shield in my left hand. Light armour as Im trying to be as agile as poss. Ive beaten the giant boss and the dragonrider boss. Looking for a lil bit of direction as to what I should tackle next. Had a bash at the persuer but he made me almost rage quit, saving as many of the human effigies so going into the battle with half hp. Any items/weapons/light armour I could grab to help me out at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

So picked this up on ps3 during the sales. Atm im lvl 41 with: vgr 7, end 7, vit 6, atn 6, str 11, dex 20, adp 25, int 6, fth 6. Im currently using the fire longsword+3, a shield in my left hand. Light armour as Im trying to be as agile as poss. Ive beaten the giant boss and the dragonrider boss. Looking for a lil bit of direction as to what I should tackle next. Had a bash at the persuer but he made me almost rage quit, saving as many of the human effigies so going into the battle with half hp. Any items/weapons/light armour I could grab to help me out at the moment?

Go back to Majula and find the Stone Archway right next to the Cat, go down there and you come to an area called Heides Tower of Flame. There's a bonfire down to the right, and when you reach the huge circular chamber, go left to find a ring that keeps you at 75% when hollow instead of 50%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Best way to tackle Pursuer is to try and get him to charge at you near the fog gate then race towards the giant crossbow, it does massive damage. Rolling is a lot more effective than shield if you get the timing right. You don't actually have to beat him though - have a chat to the woman after Dragonrider room a few times and see if she decides to head back to Majula, there may be a new path. Also, past her is another area. As long as you keep under 80% load you'll be ok.

• Advertisement

J_E wrote: »
    Best way to tackle Pursuer is to try and get him to charge at you near the fog gate then race towards the giant crossbow, it does massive damage. Rolling is a lot more effective than shield if you get the timing right. You don't actually have to beat him though - have a chat to the woman after Dragonrider room a few times and see if she decides to head back to Majula, there may be a new path. Also, past her is another area. As long as you keep under 80% load you'll be ok.

70% is the fast roll limit iirc, and there is a noticable difference between 70, 50 and 30%, massive in a fight.

Rolling to your right is the best way to dodge the pursuer

70% is the fast roll limit iirc, and there is a noticable difference between 70, 50 and 30%, massive in a fight.

Rolling to your right is the best way to dodge the pursuer
    Looks like my rusty skills are showing...haven't touched the game since DLC. Definitely haven't had a problem roll-dodging at below 70% though, can't say it's ever been noticeable for me compared to the original.

Looks like my rusty skills are showing...haven't touched the game since DLC. Definitely haven't had a problem roll-dodging at below 70% though, can't say it's ever been noticeable for me compared to the original.

Well it all comes down to individual timing of course. Borderlining the 70% and then switching to the first game with the DWGR shows the true difference :pac:

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking forward to cracking into it tomorrow, that ring sounds the job! Vaguely remember something like that in deamons souls alright. Will make my constant dying easier to bare.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looking forward to cracking into it tomorrow, that ring sounds the job! Vaguely remember something like that in deamons souls alright. Will make my constant dying easier to bare.

If you've beaten Demons Souls you have no business even comparing Dark Souls 2 :D Demons is a nightmare!

If you've beaten Demons Souls you have no business even comparing Dark Souls 2 :D Demons is a nightmare!

Deamons souls was a nightmare! Loved it though. Really enjoying dark souls 2 as well. Both are making me giddy with excitement for bloodbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Whats the consensus on here regarding DeS Vs DkS Vs DkS2?

The first Dark is definitely the best of the 3 for me but not sure how I'd rank the other 2.

penev10 wrote: »
    Whats the consensus on here regarding DeS Vs DkS Vs DkS2?

The first Dark is definitely the best of the 3 for me but not sure how I'd rank the other 2.

The first Dark is full of head wrecking bullsh1t, which is why I don't rate it as highly as everyone else seems to.

Demons had it right in terms of bosses and levels, except for the NPC invader in the Valley of Defilement it's not rage inducing very often

Dark 2 has 0 rage quit moments off the top of my head, but focused too much on ganks for enemies and bosses, and it didn't bring enough new, memorable stuff to the table

I honestly couldn't pick between them

The first Dark is full of head wrecking bullsh1t, which is why I don't rate it as highly as everyone else seems to.

Demons had it right in terms of bosses and levels, except for the NPC invader in the Valley of Defilement it's not rage inducing very often

Dark 2 has 0 rage quit moments off the top of my head, but focused too much on ganks for enemies and bosses, and it didn't bring enough new, memorable stuff to the table

I honestly couldn't pick between them
    I think Dark Souls is near gaming perfection myself. One of the greatest level designs since Super Metroid.

DS1 is always hard the first time but you breeze through it after you learn. Ornstein & Smough is the final point of the learning curve, then it's relatively easy for the rest of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Was Demon's that bad? The Tower of "xxx" or whatever was fairly difficult, and Valley Of Defilement was tough (I perfected the "barely moving forward because I can't see" walk here) but other than that I thought it was manageable solo. Loved Boletaria.

Dark Souls had a lot of horribly tough areas; Blighttown, Giants area (can't recall), Anor Londo dragonbow and more

• Advertisement

Was Demon's that bad? The Tower of "xxx" or whatever was fairly difficult, and Valley Of Defilement was tough (I perfected the "barely moving forward because I can't see" walk here) but other than that I thought it was manageable solo. Loved Boletaria.

Dark Souls had a lot of horribly tough areas; Blighttown, Giants area (can't recall), Anor Londo dragonbow and more

The huge golden skeletons, red eye knights, those freaky worm things in the mines.

Its manageable solo of course, I only beat it a few months ago, the online is almost completely dead.

I found it much more difficult than the other two, but some mightn't find it so tough either

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think Dark Souls is near gaming perfection myself. One of the greatest level designs since Super Metroid.

DS1 is always hard the first time but you breeze through it after you learn. Ornstein & Smough is the final point of the learning curve, then it's relatively easy for the rest of the game.

Near perfection? Good games yes but you could fill pages with things wrong with the game. And not opinion pieces on what people don't like....actual faults and flaws with the game. They both do certain things well and other things poorly so I would find it hard to pick which one is "better" but neither are anywhere near perfection.

Most of your first run in DS1 is spent trying to find the best way to cheese the next encounter. This is not good game design and they corrected it with DS2. I think after years and 20 playthroughs some people forget this fact and don't remember what it was like the first time. DS2 had faults too, but they were different faults. In DS2 at least you tended to fight most of the enemies.....not cheese/glitch/exploit your way to victory.

Like you, I preferred the game world of DS1. It felt large and connected in a way that the sequel didn't....but that's a world aesthetic and doesn't comment on level design. Metroids design is so, so much tighter than DS1. You don't land on zebes 10 minutes into the game, go the wrong way and bump into Mother Brain and get one shotted.....because that's bad level design. Shrugging that off as "working as designed for the hardcore!" is just disguising bad design.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Would agree with Kirby 100%. I loved them both but they both had some very bad issues. We most likely wont see another Dark Souls for 2/3 more years but if they can right some of the wrongs with DS1 and DS2 then you might be looking at gaming perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have to agree.

The bosses are far better than Demons of DS2 for me and the score is on another level.

Really though, the world, the way it was designed as you say, everything looping back on itself. Absolutely magic - DS2 was a MASSIVE disapointment on this front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Deamons souls was a nightmare! Loved it though. Really enjoying dark souls 2 as well. Both are making me giddy with excitement for bloodbourne!

I found Demon Souls a relative cake walk when I tried it late last year. That statement though needs qualification. I had put hundreds of hours in to Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. I had beaten most of the first one at SL1. I was, in my own mind, very experienced at the game play. I can imagine if it was the first of the three you played it would be pretty damn tough. For me that was Dark Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

So just for clarification, is the Scholar of the First Sin patch released on the 5th of Feb for current players? Then the physical release of the game for New Players is then a few months later? Will the February Patch contain the new graphical enchancements and improved online matchmaking then or will that be later?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,245 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Cravez wrote: »
    So just for clarification, is the Scholar of the First Sin patch released on the 5th of Feb for current players? Then the physical release of the game for New Players is then a few months later? Will the February Patch contain the new graphical enchancements and improved online matchmaking then or will that be later?

That will all be straight away with the patch as far as I can see.

Are enhanced graphics for PC players? I wonder if you need to start a new game in order for the changes (like the Scholar) to be implemented.

Dump the fire sword, find a weapon that scales with dex.
    Spend all your souls leveling vgr to at least 30.
    If you have a soul vessel, use it and respend the points in adp on vgr.

For the Pursuer:
    get good lol
    Back away from him until he does his charge attack, roll right, hit him
    If your stamina gauge is less than 30% full, don't hit him, let it refill even if it means missing an easy opportunity to get some hits in.
    At your level, you'll be dead in 1/2 hits anyway so don't waste effigies, just focus on not getting hit.
    He'll probably kill you before you can use the flask
    He'll probably kill you before you can use the giant crossbow if you're soloing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

noodler wrote: »
    That will all be straight away with the patch as far as I can see.

Are enhanced graphics for PC players? I wonder if you need to start a new game in order for the changes (like the Scholar) to be implemented.

I think what the enhanced graphics are mainly changes to the lighting like in the Developer Interviews and Previews before the game released (and we subsequently didn't get).

I don't think you need to start a new game, they usually integrate the new changes when the game loads after patching. I wouldn't mind starting a new game though anyway as I got the game for my brother on Christmas and we're going to do a Co-Op playthrough with all the DLC's when the patch gets released.

• Advertisement

Had a pretty epic session there. Starting things off I picked up the ring of binding, that thing is an absolute god send! Next off was my umteenth rematch with the pursuer. With the extra health from the ring I put him down. Next up was my most epic battle so far, against the old dragonslayer.

Advertisement