Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Jesus christ. These Ice Horses. I died to one about 3 times only to face him for a fourth time and have his friend show up :mad: Finding it hard to close the distance on him.

-Edit- This area is hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Jesus christ. These Ice Horses. I died to one about 3 times only to face him for a fourth time and have his friend show up :mad: Finding it hard to close the distance on him.

-Edit- This area is hell
    That whole area is the worst part of the DLC... very frustrating to get to the boss and when you see it... "Despair ahead"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

J_E wrote: »
    That whole area is the worst part of the DLC... very frustrating to get to the boss and when you see it... "Despair ahead"

Haven't made it to the boss yet but i got as far as the 3rd or 4th building only to have one of those Horsies show up with some Knight in black with a battle axe. I promptly gave up after i died to them.

The final boss for the DLC is really cool, and the arena you fight in is awesome. Sunken King > Ivory King > Iron King as far as each DLC is concerned. I enjoyed Sunken and Ivory DLC alot but the Iron King was pretty meh, could take it or leave it to be honest, nothing special at all about it.

Roll on Bloodbourne ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Was rewatching Vampire Hunter D fr the first time in years, did anyone notice the crazy resemblances between Drangleic castle and the castle in Vampire Hunter D.

Also there are a few similarities between how the game mechanics and the Malazan book of the fallen and finally Berserk also has a few similarities.... if anyone is interested in figuring out the background I wouldn't be shocked if the developers were influenced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Also there are a few similarities between how the game mechanics and the Malazan book of the fallen and finally Berserk also has a few similarities.... if anyone is interested in figuring out the background I wouldn't be shocked if the developers were influenced

The developers have mentioned before that they are Berserk fans id say a good chunk of the game is inspired by Berserk in some way. Artorias is definitely based on Guts when he is in his Berserker armor mode. The Greatsword is pretty much the same design as the one Guts gets before the Dragonslayer. I remember reading or watching a video of the similarities and there were quite a few (Witch Beatrice looks strikingly like Schierke)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Eh spoilers lads - still have to play this game yet, some of us work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Eh spoilers lads - still have to play this game yet, some of us work.

Eh, I don't think you can expect a thread about a game that is nearly 7 months old to remain spoiler free, especially when what is being discussed is hardly spoilers beyond just naming some characters and discussing their appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Finding the Ivory King DLC a bit of a chore. The main enemy type is basically the same across all 3 DLC and fighting another horde of the same soldier guys isn't exactly thrilling me. Have only made it to the first bonfire so maybe it picks up.

Probably liked Iron King the most, liked the level design and the tactics using the guys with the explosive barrels. 2 great bosses too although the run up to Sir Alonne is tedious (why are there
    flame salamanders
    in there? :rolleyes:)

penev10 wrote: »
    Finding the Ivory King DLC a bit of a chore. The main enemy type is basically the same across all 3 DLC and fighting another horde of the same soldier guys isn't exactly thrilling me. Have only made it to the first bonfire so maybe it picks up.
    You have loads to go - I thought the level design was pretty good, it's tough though. Also, you can pretty much dash past the whole area to get to Sir Alonne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ANother Dark Souls t-shirt up on qwertee tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

bought this the other day for pc. my god the controls! doesn't seem to be much effort to make it pc friendly. they couldn't even be bothered to change the xbox controller button prompts. had to stop playing after about an hour.

froog wrote: »
    bought this the other day for pc. my god the controls! doesn't seem to be much effort to make it pc friendly. they couldn't even be bothered to change the xbox controller button prompts. had to stop playing after about an hour.
    Honestly, it's made to be played with a controller in every aspect. It's a lot better than DS1 control wise but it's just not enjoyable with keyboard and mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Enjoyed the Ivory Crown DLC in the end. Liked the back-tracking
    after the ice melts
    and the search for the knights to assist you. Wasn't mad on the bosses, the Iron King was better in that respect for sure.

All in all the 3 DLCs are just about worth the money. The main enemy type being the same (in all but skin) in all 3 is a bit cheap. The co-op areas/bosses were a let down but the level design was very good on the whole, making you explore everywhere with the interlinked areas (unlike the main game).

Think I'm going to take a break form DS2 now. Was going to do a DEX build from scratch next (having already done a STR, Quality and Mage build) but am kind of tired of the game now. DS1 drew me back again and again so maybe this will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

My collectors edition has been collecting dust since launch and this week im finally going to get a chance to hammer into this game. Having played the two others i am wondering is it best to play without the updates offline or updated online. Has a lot of the games weapons been nerfed and have other things been changed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

tonydude wrote: »
    My collectors edition has been collecting dust since launch and this week im finally going to get a chance to hammer into this game. Having played the two others i am wondering is it best to play without the updates offline or updated online. Has a lot of the games weapons been nerfed and have other things been changed

Online. Dark Souls should always be played online its a different game in comparison! A lot of the bosses are designed for Co-Op too

A few weapons have been nerfed (Santiers Spear, Soul Geyser) and a lot of rebalancing and bug fixes.

Why would a non updated version be optimal, just out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

You can finish the unpatched game in sub 20 minutes. Beyond wanting to do speed runs there really is no reason to not patch.

Un-nerfed weapons make things easier :D

tonydude wrote: »
    Un-nerfed weapons make things easier :D

Who buys Dark Souls for an easier run? :confused: To each their own, but the online sells it for me, DS2 has the best of all three Souls games

Who buys Dark Souls for an easier run? :confused: To each their own, but the online sells it for me, DS2 has the best of all three Souls games

I dont , but i just dont have the time like i did when playing the first two

Haven't made it to the boss yet but i got as far as the 3rd or 4th building only to have one of those Horsies show up with some Knight in black with a battle axe. I promptly gave up after i died to them.

The final boss for the DLC is really cool, and the arena you fight in is awesome. Sunken King > Ivory King > Iron King as far as each DLC is concerned. I enjoyed Sunken and Ivory DLC alot but the Iron King was pretty meh, could take it or leave it to be honest, nothing special at all about it.

Roll on Bloodbourne ;)

Man those horses are crazy - easy enough to kill one on one but when a couple come around. And they spawn infinitely (or at least I counted 14 I killed - with help of course) as I went over a few areas I thought I had cleared and they reappeared.
    penev10 wrote: »
    Enjoyed the Ivory Crown DLC in the end. Liked the back-tracking
    after the ice melts
    and the search for the knights to assist you. Wasn't mad on the bosses, the Iron King was better in that respect for sure.

All in all the 3 DLCs are just about worth the money. The main enemy type being the same (in all but skin) in all 3 is a bit cheap. The co-op areas/bosses were a let down but the level design was very good on the whole, making you explore everywhere with the interlinked areas (unlike the main game).

Think I'm going to take a break form DS2 now. Was going to do a DEX build from scratch next (having already done a STR, Quality and Mage build) but am kind of tired of the game now. DS1 drew me back again and again so maybe this will too.

I also enjoyed them all too, especially having to go back to look for help - the boss was just too extreme with no knights.

After I cleared the whole game and DLCs I went back to the Last Giant to farm souls (first time I've ever done this) and have my level up to around 250. I might try a magic character now for a bit before I turn if off for good.

• Advertisement

I didn't even bother with the DLC horses - just a cheap area with no real reward for the amount of effort it takes. Loved the DLC but felt seriously stung by the three crowns 'reward' that From disproportionately hyped, I've given the game over 200-300 hours at this stage and would rather play through DS1 when I'm in the mood.

Still haven't gotten the DLC, can anyone tell me what size the 3 downloads are?

And how do you go about starting a Hexer build could anyone tell me? Lion Mage and Hexers Hood I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

And how do you go about starting a Hexer build could anyone tell me? Lion Mage and Hexers Hood I guess?

They're pretty big I think. Just under a GB each if I remember.

Yeah, they'll do for armour if you're good at dodging. Otherwise just Fashion Souls it. For weapons, I mainly use the the Pilgrim's Spontoon to poke from behind a shield up close and punish with Dark Orb at a distance. Moonlight Greatsword for massive damage. If you're going staff, Sunset will do you for most of the game and can be gotten very early. Chimes, go with the Idol's Chime. Upgrade either to Black Witch's staff later for the best of both worlds!

Fire Claymore is a good backup weapon, and Fire Majestic Greatsword is nice if you don't mind bringing your strength and dex up to 25.

Need to get to Felkin in Huntsman's Copse entrance early on - can do this by talking to Licia at Heide and then changing the rotunda path at Majula.

Great melee hexer guide here: http://www.gamersheroes.com/game-guides/dark-souls-2-melee-hexing-guide-join-dark-side/

hadoken13 wrote: »

At the Iron Keep with my hexer, dunno if I want to go pure spellcaster of melee. Any opinions? Done a pure sorcerer before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Are there many people still playing this on ps3? I haven't played in months and I left it when I finished NG+ so hopefully there's still a few people around to help on NG++

Are there many people still playing this on ps3? I haven't played in months and I left it when I finished NG+ so hopefully there's still a few people around to help on NG++

Your play through doesn't matter for matchmaking, but its realitivly active, few minutes wait for a summon generally

I've decided to put away this game now, spent so many hours playing it and really enjoyed it. Now have to finish Gears 3, Halo Reach, Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 - games I've put on the long finger for a while now. Then I can buy a new console.

• Advertisement

After comfortably beating the Giant Lord at +11 I think it's fair to say hexing is extremely OP, currently running Hexes, Pyros and Sorceries with healing Miracles, I can do over 2500 damage with a single climax at a 50/50 Fth Int Split

Advertisement