Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student dies from fatal stabbing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

The perpatrators are two walking tumours. These things are not human. A violent sub species of filth.

Couldn't agree more. This story horrifies and disgusts me!

I wish that all scumbags would be done with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

smurgen wrote: »
    this case is absolutley horrific! What sort of people can make such a flippant decision at the drop of a hat as to just murder someone?
    The type of people who watch Love/Hate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

The streets of the vast majority of the US are safer than here. High prison population means more criminals behind bars = safer streets. We don't have the space in prison to accommodate all the criminals in Ireland, which results in bs suspended sentences for serious crime, 5 years for murder, people with 200+ convictions walking the streets, etc. I never understand why or how people can criticize the US prison system, without taking a long hard look at our own.

These guys would probably be on death row for this crime in some states, here they'll get 3-4 years with some suspended for "good behaviour" and they'll be out free again to stab your brother/dad/uncle/friend/etc to death.

The biggest bull**** post I ever read here.
    The Facts are that we have far lower crime rates than the US who lock em all forever policy has failed.
    In ireland there is no 5 year sentence for murder, murder carries a life sentence.
    Thankfully we have moved past the barbarity of the death penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Show Time wrote: »
    The type of people who watch Love/Hate.

Possibly one of the more outlandish statements I've come across on this kind of thread, which is a sort of acheivement, in a negative, not-good-at-all way.

Nodin wrote: »
    Possibly one of the more outlandish statements I've come across on this kind of thread, which is a sort of acheivement, in a negative, not-good-at-all way.
    Irony seems to be lost on you all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I don't see how people can comment that the adult's were in the wrong. Yes violence is wrong but there's a massive difference between standing your ground and intentionally getting a lethal weapon and carrying out a premeditated attack...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

How about NOT blaming the adults for this since they did NOT start stabbing someone! And the level of 'scumminess' behind this attack makes me think that the two teenagers where looking for trouble and anybody could have been on the receiving end of that, unfortunately.
    All it takes to piss of a scumbag is walk past them sometimes so don't be too quick to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

How about NOT blaming the adults for this since they did NOT start stabbing someone! And the level of 'scumminess' behind this attack makes me think that the two teenagers where looking for trouble and anybody could have been on the receiving end of that, unfortunately.
    All it takes to piss of a scumbag is walk past them sometimes so don't be too quick to judge.

Blaming the victim is sometimes very common...in terms of 'what do those foreigners want here anyway' (just in case, the fact, that the victim was not Irish fueled the guy who killed him).

Xenophobia as a possible motive, I am not sure, if that can be ruled out :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭jacool

The Facts are that we have far lower crime rates than the US who lock em all forever policy has failed.
    In ireland there is no 5 year sentence for murder, murder carries a life sentence.

Yes and No.
    We have a way lower crime rate.
    However, the "life sentence" averages at 12 years. 12 years does not equal life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Show Time wrote: »
    Irony seems to be lost on you all the same.

Whats that supposed to mean....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Not to pick sides but how does us having lower crime rates than the US prove that longer sentences don't reduce crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

In fairness, the death penalty isn't just handed out lightly.

Scumbags that have committed multiple murders deserve it in my opinion. Saves the state the cost of keeping them in prison, and more than likely scares people from acting similarly.

Obviously it's not ideal, but I think the positives outweigh the negatives... just about.

Nodin wrote: »
    Whats that supposed to mean....?
    It means i was having a leg pull with the comment.:rolleyes:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Not to pick sides but how does us having lower crime rates than the US prove that longer sentences don't reduce crime?

It doesn't to be honest. The U.S. is an extreme case in which guns are rampant and ghettos are much more impoverished than in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

jacool wrote: »
    Yes and No.
    We have a way lower crime rate.
    However, the "life sentence" averages at 12 years. 12 years does not equal life.

17 years is the current average. It's been as low as 7. 12 years was the average around 2005, I believe, so you're not wrong just a little out of date.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 57 ✭✭denver62002

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Anybody else notice the people went out of their apartment to confront the stabers.
    They were adults and at at least one of the perpetrator was a child.
    Shouldn't of happened but there was at least mutual aggression. It wasn't just random

yea but no people expect to come back with blades or whatever, specially if you are foreign and not familiar with the neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Very sad!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

God knows I am no supporter of the old "hang em and flog em" brigade , but this made me sick to the pit of my stomach.
    The little toerag committed cold bloodedly planned murder by stabbing and he gets just 7 years!
    The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was convicted of Mr Heinrich's murder and of assault causing harm to Mr Rinker.
    Mr Justice Barry White sentenced the 17-year-old to nine years detention for the murder with the final two years suspended.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0624/626119-thomas-heinrich/

Sick, and the system that allows this sentence has questions to answer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

God knows I am no supporter of the old "hang em and flog em" brigade , but this made me sick to the pit of my stomach.
    The little toerag committed cold bloodedly planned murder by stabbing and he gets just 7 years!
    The 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was convicted of Mr Heinrich's murder and of assault causing harm to Mr Rinker.
    Mr Justice Barry White sentenced the 17-year-old to nine years detention for the murder with the final two years suspended.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0624/626119-thomas-heinrich/

Sick, and the system that allows this sentence has questions to answer!

He will be out before he is 21! Shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

The sentence would have been higher had the perp been 18 at the time.

There is a 'diminished responsibility' element when sentencing children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd usually be the first to attack sentences like this, but I'd say the reason in this case is because the defendant is a minor, and I certainly don't want to switch to a US style system in which minors are routinely tried as adults.

We can debate about moving the age line for defining a minor, but as long as someone is legally a minor they should be tried as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I often hear that sentences have the last year or two suspended. what's the point of this? why not just give seven years, or do they get added back on if he acts the maggot in prison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

In before garlic's mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'd normally be the first to condemn and I was horrified when this happened, but in the trial didn't it emerge that it was the German students that turned this into a knife fight? Probably a manslaughter situation IMO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I often hear that sentences have the last year or two suspended. what's the point of this? why not just give seven years, or do they get added back on if he acts the maggot in prison?

Every prisoner is entitled to 1/4 remission if they are good in prison so for an 8 year sentance they will be let out after 6 on good behaviour.

If they are caught in breach of laws while inside then they will serve more time etc.

Absolutely sickening. What a rotten country.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

sabat wrote: »
    I'd normally be the first to condemn and I was horrified when this happened, but in the trial didn't it emerge that it was the German students that turned this into a knife fight? Probably a manslaughter situation IMO.

The jury found him guilty of murder, not manslaughter. They have access to far more evidence than you or me. The 20 year old was charged with manslaughter only so there's clearly a distinction between their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'd usually be the first to attack sentences like this, but I'd say the reason in this case is because the defendant is a minor, and I certainly don't want to switch to a US style system in which minors are routinely tried as adults.

We can debate about moving the age line for defining a minor, but as long as someone is legally a minor they should be tried as one.

As it should, to 12 and over ... kids past that are well aware of right and wrong by then... find it ridiculous of having teenagers during horrific crimes, and getting more lenient sentencing simply because they're "not tried as adults".

So a person tried not as an adult below 18 is magically 'mature' at 18 ? There's plenty of adults with the mental maturity of a kid, why aren't they tried as kids by this logic?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Every prisoner is entitled to 1/4 remission if they are good in prison so for an 8 year sentance they will be let out after 6 on good behaviour.

If they are caught in breach of laws while inside then they will serve more time etc.

That doesn't relate directly to the suspended portion of the sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

17 years old and his life is finished should be taken into consideration

Advertisement