Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacman Marquez 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Pac got hit right on the button. You get hit on the button, you go down. That simple. I've watched enough boxing to know that. I've seen boxers with good chins go down from a jab to the right spot.

gilmour wrote: »
    i posted that a couple of minutes after the fight in a state of complete shock, ignore everything i said :D

I was quite shaken after I saw it as well lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

The KO reminded me of Ivan Drago's KO of Apollo Creed..The thoughts he was dead crossed my mind for a split second.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,021 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I've seen boxers with good chins go down from a jab to the right spot.

So Amir Khan can sleep sound tonight?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

The KO reminded me of Ivan Drago's KO of Apollo Creed..The thoughts he was dead crossed my mind for a split second.

Same here. For a split second I thought he might have killed him. I wonder what it's going to do to Pac's punch resistance? He's almost certainly going to be facing Rios next, and if he's not too damaged he should beat him up. If his chin is cracked there's a decent chance Rios might expose it as some stage though.

I think JMM might get Bradley next. Arum might make a de facto tournament out of it since he has little enough other property in that neighbourhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

gilmour wrote: »
    I love Marquez, and i've never wanted him to win as much as i did tonight because it was a disgrace that he went into the 4th bout without a victory in the first three given how stupidly close each were.

But that power came from a 39 year old bulking up? Sorry i cannot buy that, that was ****ing lethal. I hope i'm wrong, praying i'm wrong because it was the fight of the year and yet another remarkable fight (the best of the lot?), but i'm very very suspicious.

the fights were close you cannot say it was a disgrace one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It was a perfect over the top punch as pacman left himself wide open

Manny looked as sharp as ever, and he was fighting the perfect fight. Clearly ahead. One error and timing and it was all over. Reminder why this sport is so beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

The real truth is that Pacman had that coming to him & Marquez has been the Man that always looked like the fighter to do it over the years.

Pacman looked like he was struggling against a bloke that could read him like a book, Pacman thrives on mistakes, but when he is on the other end of it - he doesn't & didn't know how to deal with it.

Sensational KO, but prior to that we seen the greatest round of all time imo.

A great night for Boxing.

• Advertisement

The knockout probably embodied the flaws of Freddie Roach as a trainer. Another one of his fighters taking a completely unnecessary risk in a fight where they had gained the upper hand. Linares against Thompson, Khan against Garcia, Pacquiao against Marquez. all had that one thing in common. There were 5 seconds left in a round that Manny had won, and he lunges in totally exposed against a guy who had already put him on his ass. A senseless act.

The explosive, relentlessly offensive orientation of his fighters is Roach's hallmark, but the inability of his fighters to adjust to changing circumstances and minimise their exposure to risk when appropriate is his greatest flaw.

Manny has generally escaped unscathed because he's so heavy handed and because he had an iron chin, but he paid the price last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Tobyglen wrote: »
    39 year old looks like a guy in his 20s, incredible muscular now aswell. The reason he's in that shape is PEDs because you don't peak when your almost 40.

It didn't look like he was peaking to me. It was starting to look like he was on his way to a one sided beating until he landed that shot.
    Pac was starting to hammer him and I was starting to wonder if Marquez had aged.

The shot had little to do with power, if you run face first into a shot it's going to be alot harder especially when you get hit on the button

As someone who has never actually boxed, can someone explain how a knockout can make a boxer more vulnerable in future fights, is it a mental or physical thing?

As someone who has never actually boxed, can someone explain how a knockout can make a boxer more vulnerable in future fights, is it a mental or physical thing?

I would say both.

A brutal KO will make a guy think before he acts in future fights. As for the physical - It's like chipping away at a concrete block, eventually you begin to wear it down..

colly10 wrote: »
    The shot had little to do with power, if you run face first into a shot it's going to be alot harder especially when you get hit on the button

Of course it had to do with power. What else do you think put him down? Pacquiao caught Marquez with a very similar shot in the 10th of the second fight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plzh4crz9MA#t=42m27s - and only staggered him. Power is the difference. Marquez found one punch ko power that he's never had in his career before last night, and with it he put a guy with one of the best chins in this era to sleep.

Henno30 wrote: »
    Of course it had to do with power. What else do you think put him down? Pacquiao caught Marquez with a very similar shot in the 10th of the second fight - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plzh4crz9MA#t=42m27s - and only staggered him. Power is the difference. Marquez found one punch ko power that he's never had in his career before last night, and with it he put a guy with one of the best chins in this era to sleep.

Sorry but that punch is in no way comparable. Insufficient translational force was applied to Marquez's head, it was a front-on shot. Translational force causes KOs. Marquez's punch last night came from the side, and rotated Pac's jaw, shaking the brain against the skull. Probabaly sounds like rubbish to you but it's well documented in the scientific literature that this is what causes knockouts.

43 secs

That was a great shot from Pac, super technique but not as clean a shot as Marquez's

As for nights KO there is a little more to it than that. Pac did not expect it. Pac walked into the shot. It was perfectly timed, right on the kisser.

You very rarely see punches like that one last night. Not only was pacquoia stepping into it, Marquez moved forward with his body and back foot planted. His forearm and fist were line up perfectly straight accelerating flush into pacquoia's jaw. The equivalent of cars colliding head on.

You very rarely see punches like that one last night. Not only was pacquoia stepping into it, Marquez moved forward with his body and back foot planted. His forearm and fist were line up perfectly straight accelerating flush into pacquoia's jaw. The equivalent of cars colliding head on.

The stars were aligned. 9/10 times that shot misses or doesn't connect cleanly. Juan's intention was there; he knew what he was doing, but there is always that wee bit of luck/timing/positioning involved with both the shooter and the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

Ah come on, Marquez had that power in his locker all along did he? He just couldn't get the timing right. If anything Marquez looked less sharp and slower than he looked this time last year. He just had power unlike anything he's ever had in his entire career to this point.
    I cant believe someone starts taking steroids or PEDs at 39. You're either the kind of person that does it you're not. So either he's been on them all the time or never.

• Advertisement

endswell wrote: »
    I cant believe someone starts taking steroids or PEDs at 39. You're either the kind of person that does it you're not. So either he's been on them all the time or never.

If you fought a guy 3 times and thought you won all 3 you might consider it.

IMO most fighters take something, cycling is not the only sport on drugs. In saying that PED's or not Marquez KO'ed Pac using his talent. Timing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

I'd say he's up to his gills in the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

The other guy flying at ye when ye catch him makes a big difference in power. It's the same when your hitting the pads, if its still there's little pop but if its moving even a bit towards you, you land a much harder shot. The shot was also spot on and well timed and PAC didn't see it coming so took the full force

Manny was asked if Marquez was hitting a bit harder and he said it's just that he was being wreckless and didn't see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

I'd say he's up to his gills in the stuff.

Or maybe he's just eaten extremely well, and done some serious training to get in the shape he did for the fight?

Maybe in the last fight Marquez felt he wasn't hurting Manny enough, and realized it would be beneficial to add extra strength up top in order to really hurt Manny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Maybe he realised he to knock him the fcuk out to get the decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭clubwelly

Class fight and Justice for Juan. Thank god he got off his backside in the first fight after the third knockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 32 iLost

Pac got hit right on the button. You get hit on the button, you go down. That simple. I've watched enough boxing to know that. I've seen boxers with good chins go down from a jab to the right spot.

Name one boxer with a ''good chin'' who went down from a jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

it was mentioned to Marquez new Strength coach about drugs in 24/7
    he says he now helps officials catch ppl taking & supplying drugs
    so i do find it hard to believe he would be giving Marquez drugs

iLost wrote: »
    Name one boxer with a ''good chin'' who went down from a jab.

Jameel Mccline vs Abdusalamov 9.20

Wladimir Klitschko didnt even KO McCline (he quit against Klitschko). The unheard of Abdusulamov KO's him with a jab.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    it was mentioned to Marquez new Strength coach about drugs in 24/7
    he says he now helps officials catch ppl taking & supplying drugs
    so i do find it hard to believe he would be giving Marquez drugs

Oh well then :rolleyes:

Angel featured in 24/7 for the third fight aswell.

Advertisement