Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    Playtonic have added a couple more ex Rare staff to the development of Yooka-Laylee.

http://www.playtonicgames.com/more-veterans-join-playtonic/

How long more do we have to wait for this to be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    How long more do we have to wait for this to be released?

I think it'll be an October or Christmas title. I thought they mentioned that back around the start of development. I'll have a gander.

Edit: Its Wiki page says October. The Wii U will be a ghost town by then with probably only Zelda left at that stage for release.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Just put in Mario Maker and it now reads 'Invalid Disk'. :(

Is there anything that can be done other than buy a new one? Turns into a €100 game then!

Pac1Man wrote: »

Is there anything that can be done other than buy a new one? Turns into a €100 game then!

Is it just that game? Are there any scratches on it? You could try going to CEX, I don't know about other stores but they'll buff your disc for I think €3. Wii U discs are really hardy, they don't scratch like other consoles. Or maybe the lens is dirty.

Is it just that game? Are there any scratches on it? You could try going to CEX, I don't know about other stores but they'll buff your disc for I think €3. Wii U discs are really hardy, they don't scratch like other consoles. Or maybe the lens is dirty.

Yes it's just that disk which is fortunate I suppose. On closer inspection, there are two small scratches close to the center of the disk. I'm guessing once it's scratched there is no going back and a buff won't work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I only saw this now.
    http://wiiudaily.com/2016/03/super-meat-boy-officially-coming-to-wii-u/

Super Meat Boy officially coming to Wii U
    After 6 years of being released on pretty much every platform, Super Meat Boy is finally coming to the Wii U. The news was announced via Twitter by Tommy Refenes, creator of Super Meat Boy.

He said that the developers at BlitWorks, a team specializing in porting games, is at work and that Super Meat Boy should be ready for the Wii U “in a couple of months”.

Super Meat Boy was an indie hit when it was released back in 2010. The game follows Meat Boy, a piece of meat who must rescue his girlfriend. The game is noted for its difficulty, where players must be very accurate in their controls and timing in order to beat a level.

Three years ago, Refenes said that he wanted to see Super Meat Boy in Super Smash Bros. After finally releasing the game on the Wii U, maybe now there’s a slight chance of that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Allyall wrote: »
    I only saw this now.
    http://wiiudaily.com/2016/03/super-meat-boy-officially-coming-to-wii-u/

Super Meat Boy officially coming to Wii U

I only started playing this the odd time on the vita recently.

Fantastic game for short bursts.

Hotline Miami level of frustration mixed with just one more go.

Great stuff. Go buy if you don't own it on another platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Why, Nindies, Why if you love us so much do you take so long to port your games over, charge through the nose for them and then wonder why they don't sell as well as you expected?

Every time I hear one of these announcements, I shiver, hoist up my collar and hear the cold wind howling Cartman's rendition of "in the ghetto".

If they Cross-buy it with the 3DS and sell at a reasonable price point, maybe. But chances are this is another of those games that I'll fully intend to play from my humble bundle mountain but never get around to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Meatboy on the 3DS would be an insta buy, not so much on the WiiU when I already have it on the 360, PS3 and Vita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Banjo wrote: »
    Why, Nindies, Why if you love us so much do you take so long to port your games over, charge through the nose for them and then wonder why they don't sell as well as you expected?

Every time I hear one of these announcements, I shiver, hoist up my collar and hear the cold wind howling Cartman's rendition of "in the ghetto".

If they Cross-buy it with the 3DS and sell at a reasonable price point, maybe. But chances are this is another of those games that I'll fully intend to play from my humble bundle mountain but never get around to.

I've been saying for ages that the VC needs a radically different approach:

1) There is no excuse, why the whole NES, Snes, N64, Gameboy, GBA, & DS library isn't available on the VC for the Wii U & 3DS. Nintendo have a budget the size of a small country, resources to high heaven, & the fact that games are trickling out at this stage is frankly beyond disappointing. The hard work was done with the Wii VC...everything after that was just porting.

The Wii U should have launched with a full line up of VC content ready to download on day 1. I'll make allowances for Gamecube, given that's a new addition to the VC, but everything before that, & certainly EVERYTHING that was available on the Wii VC should have been there on the Wii U for day 1.

2) The pricing. Dear god the pricing. Considering there's no cross purchasing, & considering the purchases are locked to hardware rather than software, and further considering that Ninty make you pay another amount then to 'unlock' your purchases on subsequent hardware (from Wii to Wii U)....the pricing is way, way, way beyond what I'd ever pay. These titles cost nothing, they're simply roms, running on emulators that have already been written, and paid for themselves many, many times over by now. How it should be is:
    • ALL VC titles (except Gamecube & Wii), should cost no more than €2 each.
    • It should be €2 each, or 5 for €5.
    • If going for 5, you should be able to mix & match ANY VC title you want (excluding Gamecube & Wii).
    • There should be special prices for trilogies/series of games (All three Snes Star Wars titles for €2.99 for example).
    • Purchases should be freely cross platform.
    • Purchases should be locked to your account, not the hardware.
    • Purchases should be recognised on subsequent hardware & therefore free to redownload (as in going from a Wii to a Wii U...Wii U to NX, etc).
    • Gamecube titles for Wii U should be no more than €4.99, or 3 for €9.99
    • Wii titles should be no more than €6.99, or 3 for €11.99
    • There should be unannounced blitz sales, fast one or two day events several times a year where titles are crazy cheap, or you can double the bundle.
    • There should be time limited demo's of every VC title, allowing you to try before buying.
    • You should be able to 'rent' titles, with an incentive to buy.

To begin with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What is the story with Gamecube titles on it? Weren't they rumoured a while back? Are they not doing them so they can do HD full price rereleases or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What is the story with Gamecube titles on it? Weren't they rumoured a while back? Are they not doing them so they can do HD full price rereleases or what?

Please understand. That is the answer to all of Nintendo's quirky ideas, like announcing a good idea then never bringing it up again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Great post Myrddin. Nothing you have said is groundbreaking which makes it all the more baffling the decision makers in Nintendo haven't done any of it. Do they not understand it would only increase their profits!

They've got to tie purchases to account not hardware and have got to reduce those digital prices - especially for titles already available on other platforms.

As for Gamecube games on VC - they're probably holding that feature back for the NX so folks will lose their minds over it - as long as it's not to cover over other shortcomings I don't mind. Actually I do wonder why they haven't done it yet - maybe it's a difficult technical challenge to emulate the GC on their newer hardware. Maybe they don't think it would be a big selling point - just looking behind me I have more Wii-U games than I do GC - are there really that many worthwhile GCs to port that haven't already been re-released in some form?

F-Zero GX, Paper Mario, Ikaruga (already available on other platforms), Mario Sunshine and Eternal Darkness are the only ones that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,968 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, Smash Bros Melee, Rogue Squadron

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Burnout 2, the Super Monkey Balls, P.N.03, Viewtiful Joe (1+2), Metal Arms, Killer 7, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Mario Kart Double Dash, SSX3, Timesplitters 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr E wrote: »
    P.N.03

I know loads didn't like it couldn't get into the game, but by good, I played it to death! Loved it!

Burnout 2, the Super Monkey Balls, P.N.03, Viewtiful Joe (1+2), Metal Arms, Killer 7, Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, Mario Kart Double Dash, SSX3, Timesplitters 2...
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race, Smash Bros Melee, Rogue Squadron

Ok so there's a few more, fair enough. Although Luigi's Mansion has a version on 3DS now as does Mario Kart and Smash Bros on Wii-U.

Burnout, Viewtiful Joe, SSX and Timesplitters can be played on your PS2 also. ;)

Anyway, it's better to have the option to play GC games than not I guess. Although I dread to think of the prices they'll charge per game.

Yep, but how many people have a PS2 lying around? :)

I'd love to play some of those games again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Well there is technically a way of playing them on a Wii U already.....

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ok so there's a few more, fair enough. Although Luigi's Mansion has a version on 3DS now as does Mario Kart and Smash Bros on Wii-U.

There are sequels, but not the same game.

If Nintendo came out and said they had funded Timesplitters 4 for NX, I would fully support that, as long as they don't go the route of heavily relying on the multiplayer aspect.

• Advertisement

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. What a game! The very definition of a true hidden gem. The developers, Swingin Ape Sudios are no longer around. I think this was their last game. Such a shame. It was funny as hell, played brilliantly, had variety of gameplay and length. The multiplayer was great fun too. Dan Castellaneta(Homer Simpson) was part of the voice acting cast. I highly recommend people buy it. Going to stick a video below in a minute. It's in my top 10 Gamecube games.

METAL ARMS: GLITCH IN THE SYSTEM review for Nintendo GameCube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_IWkryNLI

CastorTroy wrote: »
    There are sequels, but not the same game.

Yep I'm aware of that. :)

I was just speculating if Nintendo think it's worth the hassle of implementing GC emulation when it's only going to appeal to a small portion of their current fanbase. Don't mind non-Nintendo owning gamers who probably have never heard of a GC let alone would spend money to play Double Dash when a newer/better version is available in MK8 (as an example). NES and SNES are much more well known and obviously easier to emulate.

Anyway, when is E3? Hopefully soon enough and we get a first look at this NX and can get excited about Nintendo again.

Beginning of June. Though I'd say expect news ether April or May

If they want NX out this year, we have to see something before E3. Even if its not a full reveal, at least reveal of the concept and what not.

I don't think they revealed the concept for the Wii until E3, so they may do the same with the NX.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Going by the GC, Wii and Wii U, a possible mid November release in North America might be the earliest we see the NX this year.

I don't think they revealed the concept for the Wii until E3, so they may do the same with the NX.

Yeah but the revolution concept thing was shown in 2005, and apparently the Wii remote was shown at TGS in 05.

Metal Arms: Glitch in the System. What a game! The very definition of a true hidden gem. The developers, Swingin Ape Sudios are no longer around. I think this was their last game. Such a shame. It was funny as hell, played brilliantly, had variety of gameplay and length. The multiplayer was great fun too. Dan Castellaneta(Homer Simpson) was part of the voice acting cast. I highly recommend people buy it. Going to stick a video below in a minute. It's in my top 10 Gamecube games.

METAL ARMS: GLITCH IN THE SYSTEM review for Nintendo GameCube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW_IWkryNLI

I fupping love that game!
    I played it to completion when it was released, on the Xbox, superb stuff.
    Sadly it never got a sequel but at least it got a release across the major formats.
    Oddly, I played it a couple of years ago on the PS2 and it wasn't as good as the Xbox version, I haven't tried the GC edition so can't comment.

Yep, but how many people have a PS2 lying around? :)

I'd love to play some of those games again.

Me, I've a couple of them, as well as nearly 300 games for the things!
    Actually, the pride of place in the collection nearly goes to my TEST PS2, which is region free out of the box, meaning lots of importing fun of PS and PS2 games, so Raiden DX and Sega Rally for me!

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »

I know you are all waiting with bated breath to see how I'm coping without Mario Maker. All of this next gen NX talk is just filler. I know. I get it.

Argos replaced the copy with no questions asked, even without a receipt (I just showed proof of payment).

You can't beat that for service!

Advertisement