Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a Wii U - General Discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

One of the reasons I never really play my wii u is that the game pad is displaying the game while I play it on the TV I am wondering is there a cover I csn get to put over the screen while I play the console ?. Or will I be better off buying the out and out controller for it ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭budgemook

One of the reasons I never really play my wii u is that the game pad is displaying the game while I play it on the TV I am wondering is there a cover I csn get to put over the screen while I play the console ?. Or will I be better off buying the out and out controller for it ?.

What games does that happen on? Don't most of them let you put different things on there like the map on Mariokart?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

1. No talking in Zelda. Stop that, now.

2. I love playing Wii games on the WiiU because of the option to display on both TV and gamepad. I don't know why, but there's something I love about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Yes there is a cover u can get. It comes as part of a foldout stand. It was on sale around Christmas on Amazon, and mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Another option could be turning down the screen brightness on the gamepad, if you're finding it distracting :)

Anyone played Shadow Puppeteer? (I think that's what it's called but not sure) It looks great! I'm very tempted to pick it up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flipstand-Cover-Screen-Protection-Nintendo/dp/B009PHSRUE/

I saw it on special offer somewhere recently for €5 but I can't remember where. It's not that expensive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A new game called "FreezeME" out on Thursday in the States. It wears its influences on its sleeves, but I have to say it looks pretty cool. No idea when it's out in the EU.

It has been out over a month on PC and the overall Steam rating is "Positive":
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/390210/

Interview with developer:
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/01/interview_learning_more_about_freezeme_a_surprising_3d_platformer_for_wii_u

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Mr E wrote: »
    No idea when it's out in the EU.

From the interview:
    The game is ready, just missing the PEGI, USK and ACB ratings that should come any time soon. Once I get that, as mentioned earlier, from the time I submit until is out on the eShop should be around 3 / 4 weeks (provided they don´t find any errors).

That doesn't really say a lot...
    I think it looks cool :) If it releases here at €9.99 too, it would be worth getting. You can definitely see the influences of Banjo and SMG in the video and Spyro :P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Allyall wrote: »
    From the interview:

That doesn't really say a lot...
    I think it looks cool :) If it releases here at €9.99 too, it would be worth getting. You can definitely see the influences of Banjo and SMG in the video and Spyro :P.

Yeah if its a tenner I'll definitely chance it, because it looks pretty good, but also to support someone who's created a 3d game more or less by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I need to start getting these games. This, Typoman and Shadow Puppeteer are all ones I want to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Looks like we're getting a Lego Star Wars game. Amazon Italy have leaked it early. There's also a 3DS version.

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B01BC68Q4M/ref=as_li_ss_tl

An official announcement I think is due tomorrow.

Platinum Games celebrate their 10th anniversary with an awesome poster.
    10 YEARS OF PLATINUMGAMES!

Hello, everyone. Ten years have passed since PlatinumGames was founded in 2006!

Even though our company was founded by a group of people with a decent amount of experience in the video game industry, our name recognition in the beginning was obviously nonexistent. We weren’t really in the position to make a big fanfare about establishing our company, either. I distinctly remember setting sail quietly, without really being noticed by consumers. But our goal right from the start was to create high-quality video games, and we’ve been working towards that goal ever since.

We released our first title in 2009. We used the publicity for that product to introduce ourselves to the world, and by the time the game was on shelves, we’d finally managed to establish a clear profile as a company. I strongly feel that we are still able to take our straightforward stance towards game development today thanks to a decade of support from the many fans who play our games. I am very grateful to all of you for this support.

In recent years, perhaps slightly presumptuously, we’ve adopted the slogan “Taking on the World as the Representative of Japan.” Japan used to lead the worldwide video game industry, but we can’t help but feel that it has lost some of its vitality in recent years. Yet we are using this state of affairs to motivate and inspire ourselves. If there is any conclusion that can be gleaned from this statement, it’s that we are dependent on the continued support of our fans. We will keep up our fighting stance. We will keep working hard to bring even more high-quality entertainment to all our fans all over the globe.

PlatinumGames has a bright, shining future ahead of itself, and we hope you’ll come along with us to see it.
    Tatsuya Minami
    President and CEO, PlatinumGames Inc.

http://platinumgames.com/2016/02/02/10-years-of-platinumgames/
    10th_art_744x1392_gb.jpg

There's bigger versions on their blog site. I didn't want to clog up the thread.

Nintendo has reported its financial results for the third quarter of the 2016 fiscal year.

http://nintendoeverything.com/latest-nintendo-financial-results-splatoon-over-4-million-mario-maker-3-34-amiibo-figures-over-20-million-more/

http://gonintendo.com/stories/251278-nintendo-financial-report-9-months-ended-dec-31st-2015-all-de

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/02/nintendo_profits_dip_as_amiibo_hits_over_40_million_sales_in_nine_months

http://neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1178630

Sales are down but operating profit is up.

Wii U has sold 12.6 million units and nearly 80 million software titles.

Some titles have sold really well like Splatoon and Super Mario Maker.

Sales as of the end of December 2015.

Wii U million sellers list

Mario Kart 8: 7.24 million
    New Super Mario Bros. U: 5.08 million
    Nintendo Land: 5.02 million
    Super Mario 3D World 4.63 million
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 4.61 million
    Splatoon 4.06 million
    Super Mario Maker 3.34 million
    Yoshi's Woolly World: 1.31 million

3DS has sold almost 58 million units and nearly 265 million software titles.

3DS million sellers list

Pokémon X/Pokémon Y - 14.46 million pcs.
    Mario Kart 7 - 13.03 million pcs.
    Pokémon Omega Ruby/Pokémon Alpha Sapphire - 11.46 million pcs.
    SUPER MARIO 3D LAND - 10.63 million pcs.
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 10.04 million pcs.
    Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 9.86 million pcs.
    Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS - 7.92 million pcs.
    Tomodachi Life - 4.89 million pcs.
    Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 4.75 million pcs.
    nintendogs+cats - 3.96 million pcs.

LEGO - STAR WARS : FORCE AWAKENS - REVEAL TRAILER (LEAKED)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7fDogSptXc

Watch it quickly as it may get yanked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    A new game called "FreezeME" out on Thursday in the States. It wears its influences on its sleeves, but I have to say it looks pretty cool. No idea when it's out in the EU.

It has been out over a month on PC and the overall Steam rating is "Positive":
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/390210/

Interview with developer:
    http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/01/interview_learning_more_about_freezeme_a_surprising_3d_platformer_for_wii_u

This just makes me want to see Yooka Laylee sooner!
    Will it come out in time, before the WiiU is consigned to history though?

Don't see Jack from MadWorld/Anarchy Reigns in that poster.

It's funny how much of that poster doubles as a Nintendo exclusive character poster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Should I be proud or worried that (as of yesterday) I have own all the million sellers on both platforms? Look at me! King of the world!

I haven't seen the Force Awakens yet. yes, I know. I'm not proud. Any spoilers in that Lego trailer?

Looking at the poster again and I was wondering what the white dog was. Turns out it's actually a Polar Bear Dog. Naga from Legend of Korra and Korra is on his back. Strange it's not listed at the bottom.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    This just makes me want to see Yooka Laylee sooner!
    Will it come out in time, before the WiiU is consigned to history though?
    Monty-Python.gif
    I do forget about this game. Can't wait to play it. I backed the Kickstarter project back whenever it launched. I'd say it'll be one of the very last games for Wii U, possibly this Christmas. I don't want them to rush it though and I have faith that it'll be very good if not brilliant.

LEGO® Star Wars™: The Force Awakens™ - Official Game Announcement Trailer | Coming June 28, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3w5IfJIQns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Force Awakens yet. yes, I know. I'm not proud. Any spoilers in that Lego trailer?

Noyhing that you wouldn't it have seen in the early trailers for The Force Awakens. Looking forward to playing this one! Some part of me just loves the lego games. I'd say they'll be able to have fun with TFA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

How different do you think the fate of the Wii U would have been had Super Mario Maker been a launch title?

How different do you think the fate of the Wii U would have been had Super Mario Maker been a launch title?

I think it would have helped but overall the Wii U was doomed to failure. ZombiU and SMM are the only 2 major games that used the gamepad in a meaningful and interesting way. Maybe a few games from Nintendo Land also. I'm open to correction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    I think it would have helped but overall the Wii U was doomed to failure. ZombiU and SMM are the only 2 major games that used the gamepad in a meaningful and interesting way. Maybe a few games from Nintendo Land also. I'm open to correction.

I think the lack of power relative to the PS4 and XBox One, coupled with the reluctance of Nintendo to compete with those consoles led to trouble.
    The general public don't give a monkeys about the logo on the console, more that it plays the games they want in the best way possible, and the WiiU just didn't do that.
    It was great to see the ongoing support of Activision with the COD games, right up to Black Ops 2 and Ghosts, but EA dropping out and the lacklustre support from Ubisoft, with p1sspoor ports, just led to the system being an alsoran in many eyes.
    But none of this detracts from the fact that the WiiU has hosted more must have games of this generation than both of it's rivals put together.
    Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 simply have no equal on the PS4 and XB1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I think the shareability of Mario Maker coupled with the way it defined and justified the Gamepad concept would have done the Wii U a world of good in its early stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I think the shareability of Mario Maker coupled with the way it defined and justified the Gamepad concept would have done the Wii U a world of good in its early stages.

Especially if Nintendo eased their YouTube and streaming restrictions. It could have had a small piece of the Minecraft pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kimishima on the Quality of Life product:

“It’s not yet at the level of a Nintendo product. If we can release it, we’ll release it. If we can’t, we’ll examine things further.”

Corholio wrote: »
    Kimishima on the Quality of Life product:

“It’s not yet at the level of a Nintendo product. If we can release it, we’ll release it. If we can’t, we’ll examine things further.”

He sounds exactly like Iwata when the Vitality Sensor was abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭Nollog

Did anyone ever get that drawing game thingy from club nintendo that time, or was it for when they launch the new programme?

... Flipnote Studio 3DS, that was it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Did anyone ever get that drawing game thingy from club nintendo that time, or was it for when they launch the new programme?

... Flipnote Studio 3DS, that was it!

I have been eagerly awaiting it for years. It's not yet released.

Last rumour I heard is that it will be gifted to early adopters of Nintendo's new Loyalty program, which has a release date for North America, and none for EU yet afaik.

Advertisement