Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent jouno Conor George gets caught rapih' [MOD WARNING POST 36]

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure he is capable of keeping his opinion private.

True but in that case you'd have to put some level of blame at the editorial and HR staff at the Indo. Of course there's no real way of stopping his Twitter rants which seem to have ultimately been the last of a seemingly long line of final straws for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

[Jackass] wrote: »
    16 years? Was he the editor in chief of the school news letter? Also, a number of years being consistantly bad at a job doesn't make you qualified.

He's a clueless fan boy and always has been.

I think your bitterness towards him is clouding your ability to look at things with any degree of logic here. Do you think he was bad at his job to be printed as a freelance journalist in a number of national papers? And then to be taken on staff at a newspaper before being made the sports editor and taken on at a national level?

He wasn't let go because his writing was poor (it was mediocre but that actually made him fit in more) or he had clear affiliations to a province. The Indo had Hugh Farrelly on staff for years who was equally vocal in his support of his home province and probably more outlandish in his views. There are worse than CG on staff at both The Irish Times and Irish Independent when it comes to writing, who also couldn't get a fact right if it slapped them in the face.

The reason CG didn't last was he insulted key figures in Irish rugby on his personal account and, in doing so, ostracised the most populous area in the country ensuring that he was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard to his bosses. He's not going to be much good when the top people in the game wouldn't give him the time of day let alone an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

He also insulted the indo before he worked for them .

The only thing is I think his last article for the indo was a week before the joke shop tweet.
    So there might be more to this than meets the eye.
    I wonder if it was the Ireland camp who had a serious problem with him.

I note that he was ultra nice about heaslip since the "absolute knob" tweet was exposed, but I never saw much evidence of him getting interviews with Leinster players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Buer wrote: »
    I think your bitterness towards him is clouding your ability to look at things with any degree of logic here. Do you think he was bad at his job to be printed as a freelance journalist in a number of national papers? And then to be taken on staff at a newspaper before being made the sports editor and taken on at a national level?

He wasn't let go because his writing was poor (it was mediocre but that actually made him fit in more) or he had clear affiliations to a province. The Indo had Hugh Farrelly on staff for years who was equally vocal in his support of his home province and probably more outlandish in his views. There are worse than CG on staff at both The Irish Times and Irish Independent when it comes to writing, who also couldn't get a fact right if it slapped them in the face.

The reason CG didn't last was he insulted key figures in Irish rugby on his personal account and, in doing so, ostracised the most populous area in the country ensuring that he was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard to his bosses. He's not going to be much good when the top people in the game wouldn't give him the time of day let alone an interview.

Ha! I can assure you I have zero bitterness towards Conor George! The guy is / was a joke! The only time I ever came accross his waffle was it being linked or discussed on here, and I can also assure you that those twitter comments / articles made me laugh more than have steam coming out of my ears, building a complex!

I can't believe you're defending the journalistic qualities of a man who once on a large platform (remember, he made some of him comments pre-Indo) that he insulted key figures in Irish rugby.... He would be a capable journalist if only he could stop insulting people.... :D

And as I've linked a few times now, CG being mocked / not being taken seriously is nothing to do with Leinster fans, but literally every corner of Irish rugby, once he was on a national scale, very quickly began discussions about what idiotic tripe he came out with....

Here's some examples, see for yourself what the public think of him:

"Conor George Really is a C*ck Sucking Piece of Sh*t" - Foot.ie

"Conor George Caught Rapih'" - Boards.ie

"Conor George Deletes Twitter Account!" - Boards.ie

"Conor George - Ban All Articles!!" - Munster Fans

"What the papers say" - Ulster Fans

"Conor George" - Leinster Fans

"The Conor George Award For Repetitious Reportage" - Connacht Fans (Not really about him, they just named the award after him..)

I mean, come on! The guy is a joke! Not even Franno could manage that much humiliation upon himself. Just because there are other bad journo's, doesn't make this guy any more qualified. I think you're arguing just for the sake of arguing (orrrr, you are Conor George, in which case, wow man, sooo that whole Independent thing went really well, huh?).

Ha! I can assure you I have zero bitterness towards Conor George!
    The guy is / was a joke!
    what idiotic tripe he came out with....
    The guy is a joke!
    Was he the editor in chief of the school news letter?
    He's a clueless fan boy
    He was a terrible writer
    Good riddance.
    has learned everything he knows from Munsterfans.com
    he's a fool to every rugby fan and a special embarrasment to Munster fans

No, no. You're clearly well adjusted when it comes to the topic of Conor George.

I'm not a fan of him; I think he was an idiot to say what he did and his position was untenable. But if I think someone is just throwing out ill informed comments on it, I'll attempt to give some balance to the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Convicted by a Jury of soundbites

seems fair enough

some of his greatest hits...

On the indo:

BKLXQ_0CUAEGCth.jpg

BKLW-PPCUAA3yl2.jpg

detecting bias in others:

BFbhu8xCUAAaopq.jpg

BFbHU-bCYAAMpqa.jpg

all time classic:

BFbR3bmCEAAOfcp.jpg

and finally

BY8J49xIAAAExsZ.jpg:large

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I never really had a problem with what he wrote in the Independent, granted a didn't usually read his articles, but those tweets are very silly things to not have deleted as soon as he got the Indo job.

The irony of Hugh Farrelly having a go at online criticism and then his replacement being quite fond of a bit of online criticism is quite funny!

It's remarkable, that if you want to do a hatchet job on him, all you have to do is quote him.

The one about the "cheating French bastard of a referee" is all kinds of inappropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ill always remember the article that made me aware of him first. Something in the Echo about how O'Gara was being screwed over or something equally bewildering. Next thing I knew he was writing for a national paper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Ill always remember the article that made me aware of him first. Something in the Echo about how O'Gara was being screwed over or something equally bewildering. Next thing I knew he was writing for a national paper!

Do the ECHO do rugby? I lived in Cork for 2.5 years, and I swear it was all football & GAA in that paper! Pages & pages of it. It was like living in Australia. I quickly learnt I needed the major dailies for rugby coverage.

Here's a classic from his echo days:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/10/12/mannix-munster-players-dedicated-about-everything/

SIMON Mannix gets it, embraces it, actively encourages it and, truth be told, revels in it. What’s “it”?
    It’s that which is intangible, that indescribable Munster quality that is so beloved by those who wear the jersey, and by those who support those wearing it.
    Being a Munster player is something truly special for those lucky enough to be able to say it about themselves.
    It’s the blood red of the jersey colour, it evokes something special. It’s the stag’s head embossed on the breast, just above where the wearer’s heart beats.
    It’s the two stars stitched on the chest-plate. It’s the legacy they are carrying on and adding to.
    Munster’s is a story of history, of achievement against all odds, of – as Declan Kidney used to say — ‘punching above their weight.’
    Others copy but none have been able to equal that Munster thing.

durkadurka wrote: »

"Mannix came closest this week to capturing that alluring quality when he likened the famous blood-red jersey to that of another primary colour – the black one worn by the best national team in the world and one he wore himself once."

He got that part correct. Litterally 1 cap for Mannix :pac:

Here's a classic from his echo days:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/10/12/mannix-munster-players-dedicated-about-everything/

SIMON Mannix gets it, embraces it, actively encourages it and, truth be told, revels in it. What’s “it”?
    It’s that which is intangible, that indescribable Munster quality that is so beloved by those who wear the jersey, and by those who support those wearing it.
    Being a Munster player is something truly special for those lucky enough to be able to say it about themselves.
    It’s the blood red of the jersey colour, it evokes something special. It’s the stag’s head embossed on the breast, just above where the wearer’s heart beats.
    It’s the two stars stitched on the chest-plate. It’s the legacy they are carrying on and adding to.
    Munster’s is a story of history, of achievement against all odds, of – as Declan Kidney used to say — ‘punching above their weight.’
    Others copy but none have been able to equal that Munster thing.

It is a bit treacly, alright. Targeting a certain audience obviously. I would be pretty ashamed if a NZ journalist wrote that about the All Blacks though, it just makes me squirm uncomfortably in my seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's not at all, if you know where to look.
    Kimmage, Walsh, Peter O'Reilly, Murray Kinsella, Miguel Delaney, Dan McDonnell, Thornley (at times), Eugene McKenna, Damien Lawlor, Enda McEvoy, Christy O'Connor, Ken Earley, Malachy Browne, Ger Gilroy etc etc.

All brilliant insightful Irish journalists.

Falling sales have little or no correlation with the standard of journalism.

Malachy Browne from Storyful or did you mean Malachy Clerk in?

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It is a bit treacly, alright. Targeting a certain audience obviously. I would be pretty ashamed if a NZ journalist wrote that about the All Blacks though, it just makes me squirmish uncomfortably in my seat.

A BIT?????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭OldRio

On the indo:

BKLXQ_0CUAEGCth.jpg

BKLW-PPCUAA3yl2.jpg

detecting bias in others:

BFbhu8xCUAAaopq.jpg

BFbHU-bCYAAMpqa.jpg

all time classic:

BFbR3bmCEAAOfcp.jpg

and finally

BY8J49xIAAAExsZ.jpg:large

Fait accompli

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Or his "Ronan O'Gara putting himself in the frame for a Lions tour to Australia" one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

awec wrote: »
    Or his "Ronan O'Gara putting himself in the frame for a Lions tour to Australia" one.

That's a personal fave.

I'm not a CG fan by any stretch of the imagination, but just leave his "legacy" to wither away lads.

There's no need for any of this kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Swiwi. wrote: »
    "Mannix came closest this week to capturing that alluring quality when he likened the famous blood-red jersey to that of another primary colour – the black one worn by the best national team in the world and one he wore himself once."

He got that part correct. Litterally 1 cap for Mannix :pac:

But as usual he makes up for it by incorrectly referencing black as a primary colour in the same sentence...:pac:

Buer wrote: »
    No, no. You're clearly well adjusted when it comes to the topic of Conor George.

I'm not a fan of him; I think he was an idiot to say what he did and his position was untenable. But if I think someone is just throwing out ill informed comments on it, I'll attempt to give some balance to the comments.

I think you need to learn the difference between bitterness and respect. It's possible to have zero respect towards somebody and zero bitterness towards them also. They are entirely two different things you are confusing. (purposely to salvage a point?).

G'wan, keep arguing and twisting anything looking to make a point and ignore everything posted to contradict you! (did you read those threads by the way to show how I'm not the only one who thinks he's a complete joke, Munster fans included, are they bitter also?). I'll run around in circles with you for as long as you want. :D

On the indo:

Wait, didn't he write for the Indo? What's that all about? :confused:

Beur, come on chap, read those tweets, whyyy are you arguing man. Get a hobby! You couldn't make this stuff up!! :D

If you honestly believe that he has produced anything above low level internet trolling being tweeted and fan boy nonsense being printed in a newspaper, I'll lose all respect for you, but I'll at least believe you're being sincere in not just looking for an argument with auld Jackass for the sake of it, which is what I believe you're at at the moment, going after poor old little me rather than the context of what we're talking about here! ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That was from when he was working for the Echo. Reason enough for the Indo to never hire him. Frankly them hiring him reflected badly on him (as more people got exposure to his particular style of reporting) and them (as they either didn't do basic research on his online persona or somehow thought he would stop embarrassing himself).

Beur, come on chap, read those tweets, whyyy are you arguing man. Get a hobby! You couldn't make this stuff up!! :D

If you honestly believe that he has produced anything above low level internet trolling being tweeted and fan boy nonsense being printed in a newspaper, I'll lose all respect for you, but I'll at least believe you're being sincere in not just looking for an argument with auld Jackass for the sake of it, which is what I believe you're at at the moment, going after poor old little me rather than the context of what we're talking about here! ;)

Beur out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That was from when he was working for the Echo. Reason enough for the Indo to never hire him. Frankly them hiring him reflected badly on him (as more people got exposure to his particular style of reporting) and them (as they either didn't do basic research on his online persona or somehow thought he would stop embarrassing himself).

Spot on, it looked really bad for the Independent to hire him. Even a basic search would have thrown up how one eye'd and frankly angry the man is.
    But I suppose its all about get web hits for the Indo these days and hiring someone as like CG was sure to generate a bit of controversy and get people talking about him ....like we are now,even though he's he no longer works there:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Just on a lsightly related topic, as the Indo online turned in the Evening Healrd, alot of the stories just seem to be lifted from Hearld reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Just on a lsightly related topic, as the Indo online turned in the Evening Healrd, alot of the stories just seem to be lifted from Hearld reports?

The Indo own the Heddild. Judging by the website I think they might also own the Belfast Telegraph

Independent News & Media own a load of newspapers in Ireland. Lots of regional publications. The major papers are the Irish Independent, Belfast Telegraph, Evening Herald and The Sunday World.

• Advertisement
Advertisement