Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor George deletes twitter account

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Seriously how did that man get a paid job as a journalist. Who has he got dodgy photos of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Hey, he's an accredited journalist with a respected news publisher. Typical vile comment from an anonymous online troglodyte....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,353 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

P_1 wrote: »
    Seriously how did that man get a paid job as a journalist. Who has he got dodgy photos of?

most biased national journo ive ever read.....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's a lesson to all of us. Be very careful what you say on social media. There's a record of it forever. It's easy for someone to call you out on it and then you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looking at some of his tweets, the guy seems to be a bit of a joke. He'd be banned from here in about 10 minutes for trolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Who's Conor George?

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Who's Conor George?
    An indo journo who is very pro-ROG to the point of trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

awec wrote: »
    An indo journo who is very pro-ROG to the point of trolling.

Oh, OK. Thanks. Never heard of him. Then again, I don't read the Irish Oxymoron.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Cienciano wrote: »
    Looking at some of his tweets, the guy seems to be a bit of a joke. He'd be banned from here in about 10 minutes for trolling.

How do you know he hasn't been?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭fitz

Wouldn't surprise me if that was the end of his rugby coverage for the Indo tbh. Completely unprofessional behaviour.

EDIT: Ah, I see it's from a year ago. Unlikely to affect his position so, except for how welcomed he'll be by players.

Reflects badly on the Indo tbh...appointing a "journalist" who's calling players names...not the greatest move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

fitz wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if that was the end of his rugby coverage for the Indo tbh. Completely unprofessional behaviour.

If he hasn't gotten the bullet yet I can't see him getting the bullet over this tbh. Totally par for the course with him

• Administrators Posts: 53,632 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Having never met the guy I may be wrong, but from his twitter and his indo articles he comes across as quite an irritating chap.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭fitz

P_1 wrote: »

If he hasn't gotten the bullet yet I can't see him getting the bullet over this tbh. Totally par for the course with him

As per my edited post above, just noticed its from a year ago, before he got the job, so yeah...I'd say you're right.

Can't say I'm surprised though, given the standard of his work and the attitude that comes across in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Who's Conor George?

Exactly what I was thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭MolBee

To be honest the Indo hired him even though his actual skills as a writer seem very limited, so I don't know if they care much for journalistic standards of any kind. All of his pieces read amateurish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

So let me get this straight. According to the media, it is us that are the vile troglodytes? Good luck finding that kind of vitriol on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

its clear we need to up our game lads

ya bunch of..............:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

A total one.

The problem is he is a professional journo for the biggest selling daily who earns his crust from the very players he likes to insult on a personal level. Sure criticise there performances but a players personality doesn't really concern us once they get the job gets done on the pitch.

He relies on having a good relationship with them and this like this will get him isolated from the squad and hopefully lose his job with the indo.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,353 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the write ups he gave yesterday on the players capped by kidney is one of the worst pieces of journalism ive see in a long time.

of POM he says
    This player gets better and better the more he plays. He is a hugely honest performer who is a phenomenal line-out operator and tremendously brave and effective ball carrier. He was magnificent against France.

'honest' player??? not quite sure what that means, nor am i sure 'honest' is how id like my blind side flanker described ;)
    i suppose any player can get better and better from his pretty much anonymous starting point.

of ian madigan he says
    Apparently his performance for Leinster in Newport convinced Mark Tainton that he was suddenly ready for international rugby, which the senior assistants had doubted until that game. He is a talent, no doubt. His test will be in next season's Heineken Cup

apparently?? sure dont offer your own opinion anyway conor .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

sydthebeat wrote: »

apparently?? sure dont offer your own opinion anyway conor .....

I dont think its part of an Irish rugby journo's employment requirements to watch the Rabo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

In fairness, that game wasn't televised.

It really doesn't matter at all if it's accurate or not, it's a terrible lapse of judgement.

If he has deleted his twitter account as a result then I think he is well aware of how poor taste his comments were. If it is his own twitter account he is entitled to say what he likes, If it is something the Indo created for him or that he uses in an official capacity he has opened the paper up to some legitimate complaint.

At his age and given the small profile he has built up, it really is astonishing that he doesn't have the sense to stay off social media after a couple. The Heaslip comments aside, he comes across like a pretty unpleasant individual and incredibly immature.

I don't trust the Indo to prioritise standards over popularity any more, so who knows if they will drop him - but they certainly should at least move him away from Rugby Commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The guy has said all sorts of stuff on twitter. He even slagged off the Indo at one stage before being employed by them for having a massive Leinster bias (????). His ridiculously red tinted glasses are not just an embarrassment to the Indo and Irish media in general but an embarrassment to the game and the country. This is one of our big 2 national papers that is sold abroad. And the standard is truly appalling.

Regard Heaslip himself I've never met him in person, but I've heard he's quite nice from a number of people who have. Personally I couldn't give a monkeys as long as he performs well on the pitch and in front of the media. How vile and troglodyte-y of me....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Only saw his recent stuff but his coverage of the ROG debacle was a disgrace.

Don't think I'll miss his "insightful" articles too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

His coloumn could be considered comedy sketches! Absolute joke of a rugby journalist with little or no knowledge of the game or how it works. His facts ate completely wrong 80% of the time and proper journalists must wonder how thi joker got a job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

trouttrout wrote: »
    Called Heaslip a "knob"

http://balls.ie/rugby/update-conor-george-has-deleted-the-tweet-where-he-called-jamie-heaslip-that-absolute-knob/?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

He's worse than some of the bad trolls we get here.

Should be interesting the next time the Indo send him to interview a Leinster player. Or even a Munster player in the Irish squad. What a silly move

Not a great career move for him but in his defence many would have a similar view of Heaslip.

stop

reading his work
    talking about it
    tweeting links to it
    mentioning it on here
    checking it for the laugh

He's poisonously bad. Let him flounder and disappear. Himself and Farrelly are a credit to the inability of a national newspaper to realise how ****ing dire their journos are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

His problem is that now people will be reading what he says set against the context of people knowing he hates everything Leinster and loves everything Munster. So basically if he writes something nice about Leinster or a Leinster player it'll bring into question his integrity and the same if he writes something bad about Munster. His comments about being "Unashamedly in the white corrner" before the HC last year to The Indo being the most "pro Leinster paper" in the country" are just about passable but to make personal insults about the future Ireland captain on a public forum seriously calls into question his ability to be a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

awec wrote: »
    Having never met the guy I may be wrong, but from his twitter and his indo articles he comes across as quite an irritating chap.

That must be the nicest thing anybody has said ever about Conor George..;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

CG doesn't have any integrity to question.

Advertisement