Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent jouno Conor George gets caught rapih' [MOD WARNING POST 36]

Options
  • 28-11-2012 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭

So by now any regular readers of the rugby media will have seen Conor George.

Basically, he's a former Evening Echo correspondent, who is seemingly the replacement for Farrelly.

Since coming in about three weeks ago, this guy has spent his days bigging up Munster stars, giving out about the likes of Heaslip and Ross and basically writing a lot of hot air. Check this piece out for example.

Balls.ie seem to have caught him out with this, a tweet from earlier in the year:

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/a-twitter-lesson-for-aspiring-sports-journalists/#sthash.whWHpdJK.XRVyaXNd.dpbs

It all becomes a bit clearer now eh?

I'm posting this because I think there's a debate to be had here with regards to the Irish rugby media's impartiality as a whole. Writers like Hook, Thornley et al do influence opinion, yet as any avid rugby watcher will know, and there are many on this board, quite a lot of what they say is pure bluff.

With excellent blogs out there like Demented Mole, and knowledgeable posters out there across Leinsterfans, Munsterfans, here and elsewhere, isn't it time that this type of stuff was nipped in the bud?

Do you think that this guy and others should be influencing the opinion of less clued in rugby fans with their own biased pieces?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

So by now any regular readers of the rugby media will have seen Conor George.

Basically, he's a former Evening Echo correspondent, who is seemingly the replacement for Farrelly.

Since coming in about three weeks ago, this guy has spent his days bigging up Munster stars, giving out about the likes of Heaslip and Ross and basically writing a lot of hot air. Check this piece out for example.

Balls.ie seem to have caught him out with this, a tweet from earlier in the year:

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/a-twitter-lesson-for-aspiring-sports-journalists/#sthash.whWHpdJK.XRVyaXNd.dpbs

It all becomes a bit clearer now eh?

I'm posting this because I think there's a debate to be had here with regards to the Irish rugby media's impartiality as a whole. Writers like Hook, Thornley et al do influence opinion, yet as any avid rugby watcher will know, and there are many on this board, quite a lot of what they say is pure bluff.

With excellent blogs out there like Demented Mole, and knowledgeable posters out there across Leinsterfans, Munsterfans, here and elsewhere, isn't it time that this type of stuff was nipped in the bud?

Do you think that this guy and others should be influencing the opinion of less clued in rugby fans with their own biased pieces?

Who is behind the Demented Mole? - quite like reading it TBH.

Many rugby journalists never played the game to any great level themselves, you can usually sort out the chaff from the wheat after you read 1 or 2 of their articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Did Conor George ever play? At any level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Did Conor George ever play? At any level?

I would presume not, and it seems that he's been called up for his brand of 'journalism' before:

[Link removed by poster]

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would presume not, and it seems that he's been called up for his brand of 'journalism' before:

<snip>

Yes I've enjoyed his articles for the examiner. Never thought I'd be able to get a chuckle out of him on a national level!

PS, pretty sure you won't get away with linkin to that, you might want to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Swiwi wrote: »

I would also like to know this.

• Advertisement

Yes I've enjoyed his articles for the examiner. Never thought I'd be able to get a chuckle out of him on a national level!

PS, pretty sure you won't get away with linkin to that, you might want to remove it.

You're right actually, think there's something about posting links to other forums?

Removed anyway if you want to edit your comment.

Here's another of his gems:
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/10/18/new-boy-kilcoyne-playing-like-a-veteran/

I seem to have a fairly different memory of who caused who 'plenty of problems at scrum time.' in the last Aviva game.

Guy is a clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

One of the regulars over on LF.

I have to say (and yes, I am hugely biased) that, whilst that site has its fair share of manic, one eyed lunatics who spout bile, it also possesses several posters who are extremely insightful and articulate; probably the best posters I've found on any single Irish rugby forum. A few of the posters have rugby blogs or write on sites which are great reads. Unfortunately, the good gets lost amidst the hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Many rugby journalists never played the game to any great level themselves, you can usually sort out the chaff from the wheat after you read 1 or 2 of their articles.

+1 on that, his article on centres that came up again earlier today is better and more informative than any rugby article I've read in a national newspaper for a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

GerM wrote: »

I have to say (and yes, I am hugely biased) that, whilst that site has its fair share of manic, one eyed lunatics who spout bile, it also possesses several posters who are extremely insightful and articulate; probably the best posters I've found on any single Irish rugby forum. A few of the posters have rugby blogs or write on sites which are great reads. Unfortunately, the good gets lost amidst the hyperbole.

LF?

I completely avoid mainstream media outlets when it comes to opinion pieces on sport. Only to get squad announcements would I bother. Its the journalists aim to rile people up, get them talking about the article and get more traffic onto the site. I only read the odd article posted by you lot, even still I don't take any of it on board. I get most of opinions from this forum and http://www.reddit.com/r/rugbyunion/

And just as I say this, I come across an article that perfectly backs up my point. Check out this lad. What complete and utter rubbish: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/scottharris/100067324/andrew-hore-shouldnt-be-banned-he-should-face-criminal-charges/

Grimebox wrote: »
    LF?

Leinsterfans.

• Advertisement

Well the DM is knowledgeable, impartial, technically astute and writes well, so I certainly check it out from time to time.

Fanning and Peter O'Reilly are the only two that I find in any way coherent, and then you've got the likes of Sheahan who merely want to push their own agenda.

The stuff that Thornley comes out with at times is infuriating also, you'd wonder does he actually believe his own crock of ****e.

Actually the Off THe Ball rugby piece should be starting around now, if you have time just listen to the love in it will surely be, if Thornley and Wood are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭goreyguy

Wood has been fine, told Gerry he was getting ahead of himself with all the extension talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

Fanning and Peter O'Reilly are the only two that I find in any way coherent, and then you've got the likes of Sheahan who merely want to push their own agenda.

The stuff that Thornley comes out with at times is infuriating also, you'd wonder does he actually believe his own crock of ****e.

Actually the Off THe Ball rugby piece should be starting around now, if you have time just listen to the love in it will surely be, if Thornley and Wood are on.

In general Thornley has turned me off listening to that segment of the show, IMO Wood also needs to call a spade a spade! you can hear that he is holding back and is being BBConservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Who is behind the Demented Mole? - quite like reading it

I'm pretty sure its Frankie Sheehan

clsmooth wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure its Frankie Sheehan

I doubt Frankie is a member of LFs, unless GerM has impeccable sources :)

I thought Cobus Visagie was excellent with his 4N column for Planetrugby, Paul Cully for SMH is good, and the English journos all have their moments.

Much as it pains me to say it, NZ journalism is so syncophantic & jingoistic that no one journalist stands out when it comes to reasoned impartial columns. Some are quite amusing, like Phil Gifford, but he's certainly not neutral in his comments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Had to laugh at the "needless sinbinning" comments about Heaslip, he was sinbinned for continued infringements, whoever transgessed were getting binned, harshly as SA had conceded endless pens and escaped cards except JPP hit on CHenry.
    This guy is a f ing joke and the Indo is and always was a rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I think he's the worst journalist I have ever encountered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

CatFromHue wrote: »

As chairman of the "I've been blocked by Conor George and I'm proud" fan club, what does each tweet say?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

How the hell does a guy as obviously clueless as this get promoted to a national newspaper though?

Is the Indo that bad of a rag?

Surely there must be better journalists out there than this clown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Well he's certainly redressing the pro-Leinster bias in the indo anyway.

Awful "journalist"

How the hell does a guy as obviously clueless as this get promoted to a national newspaper though?

Is the Indo that bad of a rag?

Surely there must be better journalists out there than this clown?

The same reason George Hook is paid by RTE. The same reason Hugh Farrelly was a rugby journalist. They can articulate a point semi coherently and stir up debate. When people go to the website or buy the paper, the article of their most detested journalist is the one they look for. It's sensationalism and will always be central to coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Some remain bullet proof under DK.

...and now look at the ****e he's writing for the Indo.

Dear lord...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

https://mobile.twitter.com/conoreligeorge/status/196633958388219904

Apparently ignoring the fact that Munster have the most S.A. players is a requirement for writing for the indo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

It's funny really. People like to be outraged.

The same reason George Hook is paid by RTE. The same reason Hugh Farrelly was a rugby journalist. They can articulate a point semi coherently and stir up debate. When people go to the website or buy the paper, the article of their most detested journalist is the one they look for. It's sensationalism and will always be central to coverage.

Spot on. No-one takes Stephen Jones or Chris Rattue seriously, but I bet their columns are some of the most read in the UK & NZ respectively.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

MANNIX: MUNSTER PLAYERS DEDICATED ABOUT EVERYTHING
    http://www.eveningecho.ie/2012/10/12/mannix-munster-players-dedicated-about-everything/

article-1326196173340-021E3F97000004B0-358038_568x386.jpg&sa=X&ei=5362UM3bCdGDhQf2_oHYDg&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNH0W7HOCDmgPJ9ifwef8KTlZw8prw
    Brilliant!

(The Fast Show anyone?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

https://mobile.twitter.com/conoreligeorge/status/196633958388219904

Apparently ignoring the fact that Munster have the most S.A. players is a requirement for writing for the indo.

How many people can you offend in one tweet??

Advertisement