Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Independent jouno Conor George gets caught rapih' [MOD WARNING POST 36]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,884 ✭✭✭✭phog

Could someone open a poll on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

phog wrote: »
    Could someone open a poll on this?

I think a poll on whether a poll on this is necessary is more appropriate

ha. Bring back Farrelly!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ha. Bring back Farrelly!

Where did Farrelly go anyway? (not that I miss him, but George appears just as one-eyed)

CatFromHue wrote: »

(The Fast Show anyone?)

F***ing loved that show! Comedy gold... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Jebus.... Those tweets...

Also, no personal abuse of pundits please. Posts have been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Absolutely disgraceful. This man is writing for one of the most popular newspapers in the country and he's completely biased in favor of Munster. The guy is a stain on Irish rugby and will undoubtedly contribute to increasing the divide between the two sets of fans. Does impartiality in irish rugby journalism even exist anymore with the likes of Lenihan, O'Brian, Hook, Sheehan, Ralph Keyes, Gerry Thornley, George Hook??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Zzippy wrote: »
    Where did Farrelly go anyway? (not that I miss him, but George appears just as one-eyed)

F***ing loved that show! Comedy gold... :D

Irish daily mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

His latest offering, a preview of the Leinster Zebre game but is a thinly veiled homage to Munster's former prop Dave Ryan, he still manages to get a dig in at Leinster by describing their performance last weekend as:

" shocking"

I don't mind biased journalists. It's part of the fun. But George is just bitter and doesn't write well. That's the difference imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Quint2010 wrote: »
    His latest offering, a preview of the Leinster Zebre game but is a thinly veiled homage to Munster's former prop Dave Ryan, he still manages to get a dig in at Leinster by describing their performance last weekend as:

" shocking"

I didn't catch the game, but I heard it was pretty poor!

• Advertisement

I didn't catch the game, but I heard it was pretty poor!

It was shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Higher wrote: »
    Absolutely disgraceful. This man is writing for one of the most popular newspapers in the country and he's completely biased in favor of Munster. The guy is a stain on Irish rugby and will undoubtedly contribute to increasing the divide between the two sets of fans. Does impartiality in irish rugby journalism even exist anymore with the likes of Lenihan, O'Brian, Hook, Sheehan, Ralph Keyes, Gerry Thornley, George Hook??

Lol @ you trying to take the high ground on impartial commentary.

As for this George bloke he was nicely pwned there in the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

.ak wrote: »
    It was shocking.

Yeah it was but can you ever imagine him saying the same thing about a Munster performance?

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Yeah it was but can you ever imagine him saying the same thing about a Munster performance?

Maybe 'shocking...ly good effort'? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

How the hell does a guy as obviously clueless as this get promoted to a national newspaper though?

We have a two page thread here, as well as multiple other mentions of him and the Indo on this forum. Job done as far as he is concerned.

Maybe we could ask the admin to put a profanity filter on the words 'Conor George' and the 'Indo'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

Otacon wrote: »
    We have a two page thread here, as well as multiple other mentions of him and the Indo on this forum. Job done as far as he is concerned.
    That's only because he has come to everyone's attention recently. Hopefully now that he has been thoroughly exposed, no one will see fit to comment on his articles any more.

ray jay wrote: »
    That's only because he has come to everyone's attention recently. Hopefully now that he has been thoroughly exposed, no one will see fit to comment on his articles any more.

GT still gets mentioned, as does Frankie, as does Stephen Jones... I will not hold my breath TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

haha this is hillarious, the first time I read a Conor George article I googled him to see where he was from, as I couldn't believe the sh*t he was coming out with about Munster players.

Once I saw he was a Limerick hack, I never read an article about him again.

You see folks, not everything is a conspiracy theory. Media are biased towards Munster, those young Munster players aren't as good as these people keep trying to convince you, they are selected on the basis of their province, and Munster player development is put ahead of national interests for the national team. There, I said it. ;)

That's a lovely shade of tinfoil you're using there for that hat JA. Tesco or Superquinn? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd also like to add that I think the word "Jackeens" is extremely insulting, derogatory and inflammatory. Hard to believe a national Journo uses it. I know Dublin GAA fans use it tounge in cheek towards the hatred of Dubs, but his Jackeen comment is the same as me saying "Right, off to Limerick, time for the pik**s" - equally as insulting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ray jay

GT still gets mentioned, as does Frankie, as does Stephen Jones... I will not hold my breath TBH.
    They're all much more significant figures in rugby coverage though. People already pay attention to GT and George Hook which is why it's annoying when they spout nonsense, but Conor George is unlikely to build much of a following if he keeps writing crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Well that depends on your view of what his profession should be focused on.

Personally I would prefer a journalist to offer reasoned, unbiased opinions, facts and excellent analysis, but that's a matter for a different day.

Well that depends on your view of what his profession should be focused on.

Personally I would prefer a journalist to offer reasoned, unbiased opinions, facts and excellent analysis, but that's a matter for a different day.

Not my view he needs to worry about but his editor's/the papers. Like you, I want a better class of journalist employed but that isn't what sells papers it seems, otherwise they would already be employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

I don't think Conor George's utter lack of knowledge and horrendously biased views are in any doubt, either on this thread or in the rugby clubs and schools around the country........BUT if I was a newspaper editor I'd employ him simply because the bile he writes is provoking discussion and getting noticed (albeit for the wrong reasons). After all, all publicity is good publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I don't think Conor George's utter lack of knowledge and horrendously biased views are in any doubt, either on this thread or in the rugby clubs and schools around the country........BUT if I was a newspaper editor I'd employ him simply because the bile he writes is provoking discussion and getting noticed (albeit for the wrong reasons). After all, all publicity is good publicity.

But is it really if it puts in doubt the quality of the rest of the paper? Honestly hiring someone so incompetent puts a negative towards the rest of the journalists at the paper. One thing to hire a well known pundit/ex-player/ex-coach who talks nonsense but to hire a never was who is terrible at their profession reflects very badly on the paper/editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wow, now I can understand the logic behind a certain bit of tribalism when writing for a local/regional paper like the Cork Echo (big up the local heroes, boost sales etc...) but surely any sort of journalistic professionalism/ethics/common sense would tell you to nip it in the bud when you make it to the big leagues of the nationals.

TBH I'm surprised his articles get past the SubEd stage nevermind actually make it into print.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Foxtrol wrote: »
    But is it really if it puts in doubt the quality of the rest of the paper? Honestly hiring someone so incompetent puts a negative towards the rest of the journalists at the paper. One thing to hire a well known pundit/ex-player/ex-coach who talks nonsense but to hire a never was who is terrible at their profession reflects very badly on the paper/editor.

I think that's the point to be honest. It reflects badly on the paper as a whole. If a paper allows its journalists to write on a topic, any topic, where the journalist in question clearly has an overwhelming bias then you'd have to question the integrity of the paper. You would certainly doubt the paper's claims to impartiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I think that's the point to be honest. It reflects badly on the paper as a whole. If a paper allows its journalists to write on a topic, any topic, where the journalist in question clearly has an overwhelming bias then you'd have to question the integrity of the paper. You would certainly doubt the paper's claims to impartiality.

Only people involved in rugby who have to be impartial are referees and possibly RTE, the State broadcaster. Newspapers or journalists don't have to be impartial and are generally not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Well the press of this country is stacked with biased journalists, although perhaps not to the hyperbolic degree that Conor George is, so it's swings and roundabouts. Plus he gives us an excuse to have a good auld b*tch about rugger journos! :pac:

Advertisement