Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving help

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

I'm really not going to get into a ding dong. Too tired, plus want to focus on Liverpool match.

What I will say, is that i never once said, implicitly or explicitly that alcohol makes my life more exciting.

If sitting in a car on a Monday morning, in traffic, in the rain is exciting for you, then that's cool. Whatever floats your boat.

Have a good Sunday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

At a limit of 0.00 you would be over the limit because alcohol occurs naturally in the body.

All the zero limit means is that the policeman makes a decision as to whether you have been drinking or not and prosecutes if he thinks you have.

Not true.
    I reckon I was brethylized over 100 times in my life, and result which device showed was alwasy 0.
    Those devices can be quite precise, as I remember once my friend was brethylised (i was passenger). He was drinking the night before, but though he was completely sober. Result was 4mg (of alcohol per 100ml blood) while current limit in Ireland is 50mg.
    So even a small amounts of alcohol can be detected if they are there, but naturally there isn't any.

Sorry I think you misunderstood my post. I am now legally allowed to drive. I have money in the bank to buy a car if I wish, but I'm seriously thinking "why bother". My previous job was software sales in Ireland, so I had to drive, and had to have a nice car. I still work in software sales; I'm based in Dublin, but travel to London to see my customers. When I'm in the UK, I rent a car if necessary.

And if you think that life without driving is boring, then that says an awful lot more about the quality of your life than mine, if driving is the most exciting thing you do.

That's exactly what I mean.
    Drink driving put you off the road for a while, and now you discovered that you don't really need a car. You are saving money because of that and you are happy. Fair enough.

But if you really loved driving (like I do) you wouldn't be able to make such a change like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

I was tested taken to the station whizzed in the jar for a doctor I was 61 mg per 100mg if I was over 67 I woulda being charged heard nothing more of it that was 2 pints

But as said before as long as you weren't ridiculously over the limit its fine and points on the licence

Wils110 wrote: »
    I was tested taken to the station whizzed in the jar for a doctor I was 61 mg per 100mg if I was over 67 I woulda being charged heard nothing more of it that was 2 pints

But as said before as long as you weren't ridiculously over the limit its fine and points on the licence

I think you meant 61mg per 100ml of urine.
    If it was 61mg per 100mg (whatever is was, urine, blood, whatever) that would mean 61%. That's more than pure whiskey.
    If you had 61% alcohol in your blood or urine, you wouldn't be with us anymore :D

Anyway verdict from your post is straight - after 2 pints, you are just on the border of the limit, so you never know if caught are you actually going to be over or under.
    Therefore 1 pint seems to be safe amount for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

CiniO wrote: »
    I think you meant 61mg per 100ml of urine.
    If it was 61mg per 100mg (whatever is was, urine, blood, whatever) that would mean 61%. That's more than pure whiskey.
    If you had 61% alcohol in your blood or urine, you wouldn't be with us anymore :D

Anyway verdict from your post is straight - after 2 pints, you are just on the border of the limit, so you never know if caught are you actually going to be over or under.
    Therefore 1 pint seems to be safe amount for you.

it depends on the person
    i heard of lads passing the old breathalyzer after 7 or 8 pints

CiniO wrote: »
    Not true.
    I reckon I was brethylized over 100 times in my life, and result which device showed was alwasy 0.
    Those devices can be quite precise, as I remember once my friend was brethylised (i was passenger). He was drinking the night before, but though he was completely sober. Result was 4mg (of alcohol per 100ml blood) while current limit in Ireland is 50mg.
    So even a small amounts of alcohol can be detected if they are there, but naturally there isn't any.

are you driving in mayo? and been breathalyzed 100 times

i'm driving here 25yrs and never been bagged

M cebee wrote: »
    it depends on the person
    i heard of lads passing the old breathalyzer after 7 or 8 pints

Yeap, provided they drank it the day before.

M cebee wrote: »
    are you driving in mayo? and been breathalyzed 100 times

i'm driving here 25yrs and never been bagged

In Mayo me neither.
    I was breathalyzed only once in Ireland ever and it wasn't in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

What the Op did was stupid he was 400 metres from his home and he choose to drive home rather than walk. However he did not kill anyone.

djimi wrote: »
    Boo ****ing hoo. Do you think all those people who have been mowed down and killed through the years by drunk drivers on country roads are sympathetic that there is no public transport?

Pathetic argument.

We had a huge issue with road carnage for many years in Ireland we saw no reduction until the guards got tough on speeding. there was a perception that all the people that were killed was because of drink however if you look at the history of accidents speed was the biggest killer and it was not until we took action on speeding that we have solved the problem.
    Jesus christ are you actually saying that there should be different drink driving laws in the country side? :confused:

Who gives a toss how inconvenient it is. Want a drink? Take a taxi. No taxis? Get a lift. Cant get a lift? Dont drink. Its not rocket science.

Its pathetic that people try to justify putting the safery of others in danger because they cant go a night without a drink.

There is an issue with the countryside yes I can get a taxi on saturday night or sunday however I will have to wait an hour or two or pre book it I cannot leave the pub at 12oclock and ring one or put my hand up. usually in rural Ireland when someone arranges a party now they also arrange transport for people at it.

However if I wish to go for a pint on wednesday night and a game of cards there will be no taxi's available. The issue is not going a night without a drink it is not being able to go for a drink. Also in a city in a group you share a taxi cost id maybe 5 euro's, what if the taxi will cost you 20 euro's every night you go out.
    5 pints in 4 hours is what the OP said that they had the night they were caught; I just used it as an example.

Youre probably right about the culture part. I just really see the point in going out and drinking one drink, but each to their own. Its probably the fact that I am such a lightweight when it comes to drink that I dont really understand why there is any leniency when it comes to limits; as I said I know myself that I would not be safe to drive after a pint/glass of wine. Maybe Im in such a small minority that its insignificant!

I often go out for one or two pints a chat a game of cards spread over 2-3 hours mostly drinking a few long necks. On more than one occasion I have picked up seriously eneibrated pedestrians who might not have made it home.

There is no leniency there is a graduated penelty basis,. How long after a glass of wine/pint of beer is it safe for you to drive one hour, five hours, ten hours(next morning), 24 hours, one week. How long after five pints or a session.
    robertxxx wrote: »
    2kmph is a lot different than having alcohol in your system.

I dissagree speed was the biggest killer on Irish roads and often people who speed when sober also usually do the same when drunk and people who drive carefully when sober usually drive carefully after a drink or two. What drink dose is it slows your reaction if you are a careful driver one or two drinks will not be an issue. If you are a speed merchant/lunitic driver you are dangerous sober it just happens that you are more danderous after a drink or two and pure lethal after 4or 10

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I dissagree speed was the biggest killer on Irish roads and often people who speed when sober also usually do the same when drunk and people who drive carefully when sober usually drive carefully after a drink or two. What drink dose is it slows your reaction if you are a careful driver one or two drinks will not be an issue. If you are a speed merchant/lunitic driver you are dangerous sober it just happens that you are more danderous after a drink or two and pure lethal after 4or 10

This is probably the greatest heap of crap I've ever read on boards trying to justify drink driving.

If you're a careful driver, few pints, be grand.

jackie-chan-images_14807.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

This is probably the greatest heap of crap I've ever read on boards trying to justify drink driving.

No I am not trying to justify anything all I am making is the point that the reality is that msot of the deaths on Irish roads were caused by speeding wheather drunk or sober and that when we started to tackle that issue we finally got resultd on road carnage. For as long as I can remember drink driving was blamed for road deaths we leglistlated for it we enforced it and road deaths never decresed we bought in a points system which caaused drivers to slow down and hey presto we go a reduction in deaths and carnage helped by an improvment in quality of roads.

If you look at it most accidents happen now at certain blackspots which as they are being talen out are also contributing to safer driving. I do not agree with someone haveing 3or 4 drinks in a couple hours and driving however if you go for a meal and have a glass of wine with it I cannot see the issue if you live in rural Irreland and go for a game of cards and have two drinks over 2-3 hours I cannot see the issue. What I can see an issue with is indiscrimate speeding and people drinking 3 or more.

ott
    he said one or two not a few
    wasn't two acceptable going back a bit
    'just 2 will do' used to be the jingle on the tv,ads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....I am making is the point that the reality is that msot of the deaths on Irish roads were caused by speeding

oh FFS, give it a rest.

Will you at least look up the FACTS on that before spewing that BS. The RSA's published report clearly states that the single biggest cause of accidents in Ireland is............'going to wrong side of road'.

Speeding is OFFICIALLY NOT the biggest cause of accidents.

And, as icing on-top, 'speeding' in the RSA statistics actually includes those accidents where the legal limit was NOT exceeded, but in the opinion of the (investigator ?), they were driving 'too fast'.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement