Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

djimi wrote: »
    5 pints in 4 hours is what the OP said that they had the night they were caught; I just used it as an example.
    Unless OP is over 25 stones, I would rather put this story within other fairytales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Not one bit of remorse from the OP. what a arsehole!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Not one bit of remorse from the OP. what a arsehole!

That's not my reading of his comments I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    Unless OP is over 25 stones, I would rather put this story within other fairytales.

Youre probably right about that tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Hi OP,

I know your pain. Just got my license back after a 2 year and 1 day ban. Lost my job also.

You might think it's the end of the world, but for me there were some unexpected advantages. 1: got a job that I don't depend on my car for, which I love. 2: No car expenses. 3: You realise public transport ain't actually that bad. 4: I now love to walk, and now I've my license back, not sure I'll even bother driving (and I really really loved driving). 5: I took up cycling, which again I love. 6: Lost loads of weight as result of the above. Feeling fit and healthy, looking good (well better than before!)

You probably feel like **** now. i did for 6 months. This will pass.

I wish you all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

I hope the op get jailed and banned for life.

Hi OP,

I know your pain. Just got my license back after a 2 year and 1 day ban. Lost my job also.

You might think it's the end of the world, but for me there were some unexpected advantages. 1: got a job that I don't depend on my car for, which I love. 2: No car expenses. 3: You realise public transport ain't actually that bad. 4: I now love to walk, and now I've my license back, not sure I'll even bother driving (and I really really loved driving). 5: I took up cycling, which again I love. 6: Lost loads of weight as result of the above. Feeling fit and healthy, looking good (well better than before!)

You probably feel like **** now. i did for 6 months. This will pass.

I wish you all the best.

If you really really loved driving as you said, all the arguments you mentions are there only to justify youself, and you are trying to convince yourself that driving is not necessary.

I also love driving, and I wouldn't like to have to convince myself there nothing good about driving, and how wonderful life can be without driving.
    No - it isn't. Live without driving must be very boring :D

robertxxx wrote: »

Maybe capital punishment would be a good offer as well?

And let's hang people who dare to speed more than 2km/h over the limit.

And let's hang people who dare to speed more than 2km/h over the limit.

2kmph is a lot different than having alcohol in your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Maybe we should chop off his hands so he can never drive again. He could have killed that Garda if he couldn't stop in time, by golly was he lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

My god, are people actually defending driving with any amount of drink on you? Even the op wasn't defending himself.

But is it not only illegal to drive when over the limit ? Are you suggesting no alcohol is a better limit? I respect the limits but I think you are unreasonable there.

It can be impossible sometimes to be zero. I work 6 days a week. I go to the pub on my way home on a friday and collect my van next day.

Should I be arrested if I have some alcohol in my system next day?

I have no problem with drink drive checkpoints but when the cops do them at 11am on a saturday morning, on the Tallaght bypass, what are they trying to do exactly.

How can somebody know what they have in their system at any time. Abstinance is one way, but for someone working like I do, I would be better joining the pioneers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

djimi wrote: »
    If I had 5 drinks over 4 hours Id almost certainly crash into the gate on the way out

Heh, you must be a terrible driver, or a terrible drinker, or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭rebecca 30

Amatureday wrote: »
    I checked the letter with the results,- it was actually 98 mg per 100ml of urine.

So this means I won't get a ban????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god......

My eyes are starting to water with joy!!!

Can somebody please confirm????

For less than your reading I got 3 year ban & €500 fine , so unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

rebecca 30 wrote: »

But at the time, you broke the rules and that was the penalty.

Now the rules have changed and these are the new penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Use it as a very important lesson mate. You don't always get second chances with things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭kirving

2kmph is a lot different than having alcohol in your system.

No it's not. Please explain, in detail, the difference between, say, a 2m increase in stopping distance caused by a) being 2kph over the speed limit, and b) being 2mg over the limit.

I'm not condoing drink-driving, but when you boil it down, there is no difference between it and speeding when either are the deciding factor in an accident. One is just more socially acceptable.

rebecca 30 wrote: »

It must have been somewhere else than Ireland.

But at the time, you broke the rules and that was the penalty.

Now the rules have changed and these are the new penalties.

They have changed and rules are more strict now in general.

No it's not. Please explain, in detail, the difference between, say, a 2m increase in stopping distance caused by a) being 2kph over the speed limit, and b) being 2mg over the limit.

I'm not condoing drink-driving, but when you boil it down, there is no difference between it and speeding when either are the deciding factor in an accident. One is just more socially acceptable.

That's some reply! If your 2mg over the limit an extra 2mtr stopping distance could be the least of your problems ie; come straight off the road without pressing brakes, fall asleep, somebody crashing into you then your breathalysed and are over the limit, responce time is the big factor, 2mg could have a huge effect on some people that's one of the reasons why the limit is set low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cfc1888

I was caught drink driving.

I was wondering what the timescale is between being caught and the driving ban/ court date etc?

(Throwaway account for obvious reasons.)

I feel ****ing terrible about the whole thing.
    I thought I wouldn't get caught because it was in the middle of the countryside and I was only driving about 400 meters between a friends house and the place I was staying. Guard put on the blue lights just as I was pulling into the driveway. He breathalised me and brought me to the station where I gave a urine sample, then brought me back to where I was staying. I got the urine results about a week later 89mg. So I'm facing a ban, loss of job etc.
    I can't concentrate at work or sleep at night because of the whole thing, and all this waiting in uncertainty wondering "Is today the day I get the ban in the post...." is making me go insane.
    Feel so sorry for you.Good luck. Get in contact with the guard. Things can get erased.Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

But is it not only illegal to drive when over the limit ? Are you suggesting no alcohol is a better limit? I respect the limits but I think you are unreasonable there.

It can be impossible sometimes to be zero. I work 6 days a week. I go to the pub on my way home on a friday and collect my van next day.

Should I be arrested if I have some alcohol in my system next day?

I have no problem with drink drive checkpoints but when the cops do them at 11am on a saturday morning, on the Tallaght bypass, what are they trying to do exactly.

How can somebody know what they have in their system at any time. Abstinance is one way, but for someone working like I do, I would be better joining the pioneers !

If someone is still over the limit at 11am, then he shouldn't be driving.
    Gardai doing their job, nothing to complain really.

I do agree with you that zero limit is not practical, what it is now is more than enough to acomodate for some little traces from last night. Anyone being over current limit should leave the car wherever it is.

Interesting tough that some countries, including Russia and other ex-soviet countries have a limit of 0.00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,133 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

wonski wrote: »

The "SS" were only doing their Job. Doing your job is never an excuse to bring misery on people who haven't committed a crime against another person. We don't pay people on their potential neither should we arrest them on it.

After all that's been said in the thread and the different voices all expressed I went to the pub where there's a lack of Taxis and no public transport. The poster on the wall read "don't drink and drive we'll drive you home" and down at the very bottom of the poster was "On Week nights only".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The "SS" were only doing their Job. Doing your job is never an excuse to bring misery on people who haven't committed a crime against another person. We don't pay people on their potential neither should we arrest them on it.

I don't agree with the whole post, but not sure what that part is about. And i wasn't drinking tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Nothing brings out the resident church goers of boards like a good old driving offence admission, you can always bank on the finger wagging and tut-tutting brigade to make you feel considerably worse, OP.

I can't help with your dilemma unfortunately, the recent legislation made it very fuzzy indeed and sent out an extremely mixed message in that some DD offences are now Penalty Points and fines whereas it used to be automatic ban. So, so many variables tbh.

G'luck anyway, FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

wonski wrote: »

If someone is still over the limit at 11am, then he shouldn't be driving.

I do agree with you that zero limit is not practical, what it is now is more than enough to acomodate for some little traces from last night. Anyone being over current limit should leave the car wherever it is.

Interesting tough that some countries, including Russia and other ex-soviet countries have a limit of 0.00.

At a limit of 0.00 you would be over the limit because alcohol occurs naturally in the body.

All the zero limit means is that the policeman makes a decision as to whether you have been drinking or not and prosecutes if he thinks you have.

It's interesting how people look to the law to guide them in what is and isn't safe. A change in the law overnight and someone goes from being within the law on a given day and breaking it the next. And the calls for him to be taken off the road and tales of killing children etc.

The law is just there to help the Gardai make a decision and smooth the process. It can't decide whether your behaviour is safe or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

He might not be, but I think it should be. Lets face it, if that was the limits, then you know if you have a pint, your over the limit. Makes it clear to everyone, instead of this how much did I eat, what weight/height am I.
    It can be impossible sometimes to be zero.

Edit: you right it is near impossible, but lowering to 10/20 per 100 is above what naturally ocours in the body and is checkable. It would also give the body a chance to recover from a few the night before., unless your on an all night bender.
    I work 6 days a week. I go to the pub on my way home on a friday and collect my van next day.

At present, if your over the limit then yes.

Catch drivers who are breaking the law, kinda part of their job.

Arse, if you have a skin full the night before, good chance you over the limit.

You know you can buy the breath testers. If your than worried, invest in one or give up the beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I have seen it all now, comparing the Gardai to the SS, what planet are you on? A Gaurd stopping someone while they are driving drunk has possibly save lives, the SS would have shot the driver and his family and probably the whole town as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm 5' 10" about 70 kg, and probably 5 drinks over 4 or five hours.
    I have a full licence the last 3 years.

5 drinks and you still got behind the wheel of a car? Words can't express how I think about you right now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

After all that's been said in the thread and the different voices all expressed I went to the pub where there's a lack of Taxis and no public transport. The poster on the wall read "don't drink and drive we'll drive you home" and down at the very bottom of the poster was "On Week nights only".

Are you suggesting driving over the limit is ok as long as you don't cause an accident, and that random breath tests are in some way unfair? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

If you really really loved driving as you said, all the arguments you mentions are there only to justify youself, and you are trying to convince yourself that driving is not necessary.

I also love driving, and I wouldn't like to have to convince myself there nothing good about driving, and how wonderful life can be without driving.
    No - it isn't. Live without driving must be very boring :D

Sorry I think you misunderstood my post. I am now legally allowed to drive. I have money in the bank to buy a car if I wish, but I'm seriously thinking "why bother". My previous job was software sales in Ireland, so I had to drive, and had to have a nice car. I still work in software sales; I'm based in Dublin, but travel to London to see my customers. When I'm in the UK, I rent a car if necessary.

And if you think that life without driving is boring, then that says an awful lot more about the quality of your life than mine, if driving is the most exciting thing you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

And if you think that life without driving is boring, then that says an awful lot more about the quality of your life than mine, if driving is the most exciting thing you do.

.....Er, this is the Motors forum, right... ?

....there again, I don't drink.

....I think my Quality of Life doesn't warrant alcohol to make it "exciting". Says more about yours, tbh. ....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement