Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving help

Options
  • 24-11-2012 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was caught drink driving.

I was wondering what the timescale is between being caught and the driving ban/ court date etc?

(Throwaway account for obvious reasons.)

I feel ****ing terrible about the whole thing.
    I thought I wouldn't get caught because it was in the middle of the countryside and I was only driving about 400 meters between a friends house and the place I was staying. Guard put on the blue lights just as I was pulling into the driveway. He breathalised me and brought me to the station where I gave a urine sample, then brought me back to where I was staying. I got the urine results about a week later 89mg. So I'm facing a ban, loss of job etc.
    I can't concentrate at work or sleep at night because of the whole thing, and all this waiting in uncertainty wondering "Is today the day I get the ban in the post...." is making me go insane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Depends on the court really.

When I got done, the court date wasn't for about 4 months after so I got to drive for the 4 months and then the court date came up.

You then have 15 days after the court date till your ban starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

How much did you drink?
    Are you full licence holder for over 2 years?

Either way you won't face court.

If you are full licence holder for at least 2 years, you will get fixed penalty fine of 200 euro + 3 penalty points.

If you are on provisional or have full licence for less than 2 years, you will get fine of 200 euro + 3 months driving ban.

No court case either way, so you won't have a conviction on your record.

CiniO wrote: »
    How much did you drink?
    Are you full licence holder for over 2 years?

Either way you won't face court.

If you are full licence holder for at least 2 years, you will get fixed penalty fine of 200 euro + 3 penalty points.

If you are on provisional or have full licence for less than 2 years, you will get fine of 200 euro + 3 months driving ban.

No court case either way, so you won't have a conviction on your record.

Has it changed in recent times?

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Has it changed in recent times?

AFAIR last year.
    Or maybe it was 2 years ago. I can't remember now.

AFAIR last year.
    Or maybe it was 2 years ago. I can't remember now.

Just seen it there, They did indeed.

Exceeding 35mcg but not exceeding 44mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath

That was me above, I blew 36mcg and got a poxy fine and a year ban.

Baxtards

Just a fine and penalty points it is for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭Trampas

Driver type Concentration of alcohol Fine Additional penalty
    Experienced drivers (a) Not exceeding 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (b) Not exceeding 107mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine
    (c) Not exceeding 35mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath €200 3 penalty points
    Experienced drivers (a) Exceeding 80mg but not exceeding 100mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (b) Exceeding 107mg but not exceeding 135mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine
    (c) Exceeding 35mcg but not exceeding 44mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath €400 6 months disqualification
    Other drivers (a) Not exceeding 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (c) Not exceeding 35mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath €200 3 months disqualification

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/drink_driving_offences_in_ireland.html

They changed it together with legal limit.
    It used to be 80mg/100ml blood.
    Now it's 50mg/100ml blood.
    That's a threshold under which you are considered sober.
    Also driving permit holder, full licence holders for less than 2 years, and person driving truck, bus, taxi is due to lower limit of 20mg/100ml blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I thought it was a 6 month ban if you're close enough to the old limit, I think if your sample shows you had a lot of drink taken then its court.

charlemont wrote: »
    I thought it was a 6 month ban if you're close enough to the old limit, I think if your sample shows you had a lot of drink taken then its court.

So I was told recently, that usually 6 months if your close enough but not for me, they got me good the ***** :rolleyes: although this was a good few years ago

Exceeding 35mcg but not exceeding 44mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath

That was me above, I blew 36mcg and got a poxy fine and a year ban.

Baxtards

Just a fine and penalty points it is for you.

Provided you hold full licence for at least two years, if you were caught today with result of 36mcg per 100ml breath, you would get 400 fine and 6 months ban.
    So possibly a tiny bit better than you got.
    Anyway - you shouldn't be driving with 36mcg anyway.

PS - what the hell is mcg? I suppose micrograms, which should be indicated as μg

• Advertisement

Provided you hold full licence for at least two years, if you were caught today with result of 36mcg per 100ml breath, you would get 400 fine and 6 months ban.
    So possibly a tiny bit better than you got.
    Anyway - you shouldn't be driving with 36mcg anyway.

PS - what the hell is mcg? I suppose micrograms, which should be indicated as μg

It wont be happening again anyway not that it did in the first place, if you've been in after hours recently youd have read in the drink driving thread they had going

I wasn't even in my car, they done me for getting something out of my car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

According to the link above, it's either a fixed penalty notice and points or court and a 6 month ban for having less than 107mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine

OP did the cops tell you if it was fixed penalty they were issuing

Anyone know why there are two different consequences for the same offence?
    Is court only for those who have already recieved a fixed penalty in the previous 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

My mam was brought to court and got a 2 year ban. Full license for over 20 years, no previous.
    At the station she couldn't blow into the breathalyser as hard as thy wanted because of her dentures. The Garda said he failed to comply.

Judge gave her 2 and there was a man with a previous drink driving offence and he got a year

Stheno wrote: »
    According to the link above, it's either a fixed penalty notice and points or court and a 6 month ban for having less than 107mg of alcohol per 100ml of urine

OP did the cops tell you if it was fixed penalty they were issuing

Anyone know why there are two different consequences for the same offence?
    Is court only for those who have already recieved a fixed penalty in the previous 3 years?

Yes.
    Another factor the court will take account of is whether the offence is your first offence or otherwise.
    If you hold a valid licence/permit at the time of the offence and your alcohol level is below a certain limit, you will be issued with a fixed penalty notice. If you pay the fine stated on the notice within 28 days, the additional penalty stated on the notice will be imposed but you will not have to go to court. You are not eligible for a drink driving fixed penalty notice if you have received a similar notice within the previous 3 years.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/drink_driving_offences_in_ireland.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Misticles wrote: »
    My mam was brought to court and got a 2 year ban. Full license for over 20 years, no previous.
    At the station she couldn't blow into the breathalyser as hard as thy wanted because of her dentures. The Garda said he failed to comply.

Judge gave her 2 and there was a man with a previous drink driving offence and he got a year

She probably got 2 years ban for not providing a sample.
    If she couldn't give breath sample, why didn't they take blood or urine sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Amatureday wrote: »
    You're wrong, look at citizens information.ie

Accoring to http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/drink_driving_offences_in_ireland.html 89mg in a urine sample would be a €200 fine and 3 points, assuming that you are a fully licensed driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Amatureday

I checked the letter with the results,- it was actually 98 mg per 100ml of urine.

So this means I won't get a ban????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god......

My eyes are starting to water with joy!!!

Can somebody please confirm????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The new system is a complete omnishambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Amatureday wrote: »
    I checked the letter with the results,- it was actually 98 mg per 100ml of urine.

So this means I won't get a ban????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my god......

My eyes are starting to water with joy!!!

Can somebody please confirm????

You won't get a ban €200 fine & 3 penalty points, You've got away by the skin of your teeth. That's presuming you have a full license.

Just out of curiosity, how much had you to drink that day and what size are you?

• Advertisement

The new system is a complete omnishambles.

Why?

This don't make no sense??

Two tables, both the same but different fines and ban or points

Experienced drivers(a) Not exceeding 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (c) Not exceeding 35mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath€2003 penalty points

Experienced drivers(a) Exceeding 80mg but not exceeding 100mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (c) Exceeding 35mcg but not exceeding 44mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath€4006 months disqualification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Because it rewards offenders. You drink and drive you should be banned end of.

Fixed penalty notices, that is just condoning it.

Just a question, if he was getting a fixed penalty, like the fine and a few points, would they not have issued him the fine there and then??

I reckon your going to court, Ban for you. :p

This don't make no sense??

Two tables, both the same but different fines and ban or points

Experienced drivers(a) Not exceeding 80mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (c) Not exceeding 35mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath€2003 penalty points

Experienced drivers(a) Exceeding 80mg but not exceeding 100mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood
    (c) Exceeding 35mcg but not exceeding 44mcg of alcohol per 100ml of breath€4006 months disqualification

Difference in bold.

Difference in bold.
    I see, need to stick the glasses on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] You drink and drive you should be banned end of.

[...]
    Agree.

Drink or drive. No exceptions. And no mercy for offenders.

Because it rewards offenders. You drink and drive you should be banned end of.

Fixed penalty notices, that is just condoning it.

I disagree.
    Drunkness is thing you can measure.
    You can not treat the same someone who drove after one pint of guinnes, to someone who drove after 2 bottles of whiskey.

Fines are graduated, and that's the best way.

I wouldn't call giving 200fine and 3 points as "rewarding offener".
    OP wasn't mad drunk, he was just tiny bit over the limit. He got the lesson. He got some stress, and now he will get a fine and points.
    All this most likely will prevent him from driving over the limit again.

Also notice, that in accordance to system before it changed, OP would be below the limit, so it wouldn't even be an offence. He would be treated as sober.

Just a question, if he was getting a fixed penalty, like the fine and a few points, would they not have issued him the fine there and then??

I reckon your going to court, Ban for you. :p

Gards don't issue fines on the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

joujoujou wrote: »
    Agree.

Drink or drive. No exceptions. And no mercy for offenders.

Agree any drink driver should be off the road if it was only 400m he could have walked it

Advertisement