Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drink Driving help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Cork981 wrote: »
    Agree any drink driver should be off the road if it was only 400m he could have walked it

But there's nothing like hearing that sweet rev of the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

But there's nothing like hearing that sweet rev of the engine.

Or the noise of two cars colliding because one driver couldn't drive on his side of the road due to the effects of drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am sorry this thread has calmed the op down, he deserved to live a bit longer knowing he ruined his life ( & potentially others lives).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,144 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You drink and drive you should be banned end of.

You live in the country and don't have access to "public transport or a taxi service". What do you suggest as an alternative? Solitude?

I am sorry this thread has calmed the op down, he deserved to live a bit longer knowing he ruined his life ( & potentially others lives).

He's probably gone on the piss to celebrate? Kind of Ironic alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You live in the country and don't have access to "public transport or a taxi service". What do you suggest as an alternative? Solitude?

Boo ****ing hoo. Do you think all those people who have been mowed down and killed through the years by drunk drivers on country roads are sympathetic that there is no public transport?

Pathetic argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Cork981

Walk it was 400m

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Amatureday

Because it rewards offenders. You drink and drive you should be banned end of.

Fixed penalty notices, that is just condoning it.

The introduced the fixed penalty system to free up the courts. Up untill the new system about 50% of drink driving offences were thrown out of court for various reasons - Guard not showing up, improper paperwork etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

400 metres from where he wanted to go, let him walk. My Dad was nearly killed by a drunk driver in a head on crash. The drunk guy was only driving a short bit. A friends Father was killed by a drunk driver, who also died.

I am not sorry to say this, but anyone drunk should be off the road, no matter how little they had.

No point discussing it as it'll end in carnage, we've all very different views on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Amatureday

You won't get a ban €200 fine & 3 penalty points, You've got away by the skin of your teeth. That's presuming you have a full license.

Just out of curiosity, how much had you to drink that day and what size are you?

I'm 5' 10" about 70 kg, and probably 5 drinks over 4 or five hours.
    I have a full licence the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CiniO wrote: »
    All this most likely will prevent him from driving over the limit again.

It may prevent them from driving over the limit, but who's to say it'll stop them drinking and driving again?

And re: measuring drunkness, that's a nice idea, but tolerance isn't taken into account. Someone who's been drinking pints every day for 20 years is not going to be as impaired as the person who only started drinking that night, with the same BAC.

That's why you can't really generalise and say X BAC = X level of drunkenness. That's why a graduated scale shouldn't exist, and someone with 1 pint or 2 bottles of whiskey should be treated the same.

Amatureday wrote: »
    I'm 5' 10" about 70 kg, and probably 5 drinks over 4 or five hours.
    I have a full licence the last 3 years.

You were a little wobbly alright I'd say. Dangerous but you sound like you were only parking your car so I don't think your evil and should be locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

djimi wrote: »
    Boo ****ing hoo. Do you think all those people who have been mowed down and killed through the years by drunk drivers on country roads are sympathetic that there is no public transport?

Pathetic argument.

But there are plenty of people who have been killed by drivers who felt asleep by the wheel, or maybe exceeded the speed limit.

Surely it doesn't mean that everyone should drive only when 100% full of energy, and driving back home after day work when tires would be prohibited as there is a danger of falling asleep.

Also you wouldn't want to be named a murderer when doing 62 in 60 zone, just because someone else killed other person when doing 180 in 60 zone.

Alcohol is for people - all what is needed is to be reasonable with it.

You drive after a small glass of wine with your dinner - no problem - this doesn't impair your driving so you are under the limit.
    You drive after two pints in the pub - bad think, your driving is bit impaired and therefore you will be prosecuted (200 fine + 3 points).
    You drive totally wasted - you should be penalised as heavy as possible and keep off the road for as long as possible.

I'll say it again - I think current Irish drink driving limits and penalties for exceeding them are really very well though and reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My college class are from every corner of the country. I've been to parties, weddings, 21sts in tiny villages all around and have never failed to get a cab.

Where, specifically, doesn't get served by a taxi service?

Also, fines for drink driving is bs. Boo-fucxing-hoo that he'll lose his job. Attend the funeral of someone killed by a drunk driver and thinfs come into very sharp focus very quickly.

If this happened last year, OP with 89μg in his urine would be sober.

Hardly a murderer after having probably no more than 2 pints.

I'm sure at the same time when OP was travelling this 400m barely over the limit, sober drivers caused way more dangerous situation in plenty of other places in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I'll say it again - I think current Irish drink driving limits and penalties for exceeding them are really very well though and reasonable.

While they may be, the problem is people who think their grand after the next one. Sure the Gardai are out catching real criminals....

Studies have been done, drinking effects you from half a pint to a keg, it will effect your driving.

Why take the chance?

My god, are people actually defending driving with any amount of drink on you? Even the op wasn't defending himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm not defending drink drivers and wouldn't have a pint myself, but I don't see how a lad who had a single bottle of beer is worse than someone bleary-eyed tired getting behind the wheel, an L driver with no licensed driver, someone with bald tires or an elderly person with poor vision hitting the road.

They are no more less-well intentioned than any of the above and probably not as dangerous. Giving the drinker a 6 month ban and turning a blind eye to the others makes no sense.

Fitz you can't use the same stick to beat everyone, just look at the problems it's caused with drugs, lets just get hardcore and ban everything mentality doesn't work.
    The country side is completely underserved when it comes to public transport, I grew up in the county, drunk driving is dangerous and foolish, drink driving is not necessarily the same thing and I think our drink driving laws acknowledge it.

• Advertisement

My god, are people actually defending driving with any amount of drink on you? Even the op wasn't defending himself.

Yes. Driving with small bit of alcohol is not as bad as you think.

Many studies have been made, and small amount of alcohol doesn't really impair your driving.
    Hence that most EU countries have limits of 50mg alc per 100ml blood.
    That corresponds to more than one pint for average size man.
    Millions of people drive after that amount, and nothing bad happends.

Instead of heavily prosecuting people who drive after one pint, it's much wiser to prosecute those who bring real danger.

I'm from Poland where drinking limit is 20mg, and even though what most people think and what Polish government is telling us, Poland has very little problem with drink drivers.
    But unfortunately police is busy chasing those who drive having 21mg while at the same time there are thousands of other maniacs driving completely erraticly and dangerously, but completely sober.
    Drunk driver cause only a tiny bit of accidents, while vast majority of fatal accidents are caused by sober people.
    But campain is huge agains drank drivers, not those maniacs doing 200km/h in the town centres.

I'm not defending drunk drivers.
    I'm just saying, that driving after one pint is completely different thing to driving after whole night pi$$up.
    First ones should be left alone, while second ones should be heavily prosecuted.
    And current Irish drunk driving offences and fines for them are adequate to obtain this goal.

But there are plenty of people who have been killed by drivers who felt asleep by the wheel, or maybe exceeded the speed limit.

Surely it doesn't mean that everyone should drive only when 100% full of energy, and driving back home after day work when tires would be prohibited as there is a danger of falling asleep.

Also you wouldn't want to be named a murderer when doing 62 in 60 zone, just because someone else killed other person when doing 180 in 60 zone.

Alcohol is for people - all what is needed is to be reasonable with it.

You drive after a small glass of wine with your dinner - no problem - this doesn't impair your driving so you are under the limit.
    You drive after two pints in the pub - bad think, your driving is bit impaired and therefore you will be prosecuted (200 fine + 3 points).
    You drive totally wasted - you should be penalised as heavy as possible and keep off the road for as long as possible.

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make with the first part, or what relevance it has. Because there are other ways that you might be danger on the road its okay for people to drive with drink in them?

The problem with drink driving is that alcohol affects people in different ways. If I had 5 drinks over 4 hours Id almost certainly crash into the gate on the way out, never mind what I would do if I actually made it as far as the road. I think that they are trying to show leniency where Im not sure it belongs. If you plan on drinking then dont drive; period. If you were out on the lash the night before then dont drive the next morning unless you are 100% sure that you are sober. I dont see why there needs to be any half measures about the limits.

While they may be, the problem is people who think their grand after the next one. Sure the Gardai are out catching real criminals....
    And that's the problem. Lack of enforcement makes people abuse the system.
    If there was a squad car with brethylised in every village, no one would dare driving after more than one pint.

Studies have been done, drinking effects you from half a pint to a keg, it will effect your driving.

Why take the chance?

Half pint is more likely to actually improve your awareness and shorten your reaction time.
    There's plenty of studies about it. Have a read.

Yes. Driving with small bit of alcohol is not as bad as you think.

Many studies have been made, and small amount of alcohol doesn't really impair your driving.

Speak for yourself. One pint and I wouldnt trust myself to drive a car. Not everyone is the same.

Fitz you can't use the same stick to beat everyone, just look at the problems it's caused with drugs, lets just get hardcore and ban everything mentality doesn't work.
    The country side is completely underserved when it comes to public transport, I grew up in the county, drunk driving is dangerous and foolish, drink driving is not necessarily the same thing and I think our drink driving laws acknowledge it.

Jesus christ are you actually saying that there should be different drink driving laws in the country side? :confused:

Who gives a toss how inconvenient it is. Want a drink? Take a taxi. No taxis? Get a lift. Cant get a lift? Dont drink. Its not rocket science.

Its pathetic that people try to justify putting the safery of others in danger because they cant go a night without a drink.

djimi wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make with the first part, or what relevance it has. Because there are other ways that you might be danger on the road its okay for people to drive with drink in them?
    With small bit of drink - why not.
    With loadz of alcohol - absolutely not.

The problem with drink driving is that alcohol affects people in different ways. If I had 5 drinks over 4 hours Id almost certainly crash into the gate on the way out, never mind what I would do if I actually made it as far as the road.
    I suppose if you had 5 drinks (full pints or equivalents) over 4 hours, you would be way over the highest limit, and end up straight in court.
    I think that they are trying to show leniency where Im not sure it belongs. If you plan on drinking then dont drive; period. If you were out on the lash the night before then dont drive the next morning unless you are 100% sure that you are sober. I dont see why there needs to be any half measures about the limits.

That probably comes from bit different drinking culture in Ireland than in some other EU countries.
    Here people tend not to drink anything for the whole week, and then go for a big pi$$up at the weekend.
    Surely driving then is very bad idea.
    It's nearly natural in Ireland that when you drink, you drink much.
    I treat drinking at different approach.
    I hate getting drunk, but I love to have a glass of wine or a bottle of beer with my dinner.
    I like to visit my friend to have one pint.
    And I'm very happy I can come back home legally after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

She probably got 2 years ban for not providing a sample.
    If she couldn't give breath sample, why didn't they take blood or urine sample?

No idea- I'm surprised the judge didn't ask the same question.

I suppose if you had 5 drinks (full pints or equivalents) over 4 hours, you would be way over the highest limit, and end up straight in court.

5 pints in 4 hours is what the OP said that they had the night they were caught; I just used it as an example.
    That probably comes from bit different drinking culture in Ireland than in some other EU countries.
    Here people tend not to drink anything for the whole week, and then go for a big pi$$up at the weekend.
    Surely driving then is very bad idea.
    It's nearly natural in Ireland that when you drink, you drink much.
    I treat drinking at different approach.
    I hate getting drunk, but I love to have a glass of wine or a bottle of beer with my dinner.
    I like to visit my friend to have one pint.
    And I'm very happy I can come back home legally after this.

Youre probably right about the culture part. I just really see the point in going out and drinking one drink, but each to their own. Its probably the fact that I am such a lightweight when it comes to drink that I dont really understand why there is any leniency when it comes to limits; as I said I know myself that I would not be safe to drive after a pint/glass of wine. Maybe Im in such a small minority that its insignificant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Misticles wrote: »
    No idea- I'm surprised the judge didn't ask the same question.

If she never explained it to the guards in the station at the time the judge probably would not consider it a legitimate excuse.
    If it was not down on record from the time she was in the station then it just sounds like something a solicitor made up.

• Advertisement

She. Could have taken the dentures out, people without teeth can exhale forcefully too, it was just an excuse......

Advertisement