Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

vibe666 wrote: »
    only if you want to brick it.

5V/500mA isn't even close to the 5V/1000mA I've already stated is required for the mobius. ( and you even quoted me saying it!)

as I've also already stated, unless you know for a fact that the cable that came with your dashcam is wired in the standard usb configuration, even if it was 5V/1000mW you run the risk of bricking your mobius the first time you connect it.

I just don't get why you're making such a big deal out of not spending a couple of euro to use a proper adapter?

Jesus man relax, if you don't want to answer the question then don't. But don't go on a mini rant over it.

I just want to 100% make sure I know what I am looking for when it arrives.

My problem is not buying a new adaptor, but I want to make sure I buy the correct adaptor.

So just to confirm, I could use this adaptor I've attached and a USB cable?

PS. I am grateful for your answers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

kceire wrote: »
    I just want to 100% make sure I know what I am looking for when it arrives.

My problem is not buying a new adaptor, but I want to make sure I buy the correct adaptor.

So just to confirm, I could use this adaptor I've attached and a USB cable?
    you'll need to be sure your PSU can supply a minimum of 1000mW and 5 to 5.5v to avoid any problems down the line.
    so as long as the ciggie usb adapter can output a minimum of 5v and 1000mW it should be grand.
    5v and 1000mW, but if it's got the lead built directly into the cig adapter i'd be very wary of using it
    5V/500mA isn't even close to the 5V/1000mA I've already stated is required for the mobius. (and you even quoted me saying it!)
    what do you think? ;)

if i say it again, that'll be the 5th time in the last couple of days i've answered the same question.

I don't mind answering anyone's questions whenever i can help, but it annoys me when people keep making me answer the same question over and over in the same thread when i've already said it several times.

267558.jpg

USB ciggie adapter from official Mobius reseller.

3M power lead from the same seller, even comes with little sticky clippy yokes to attach the lead.

in related news, i just ordered this Sandisk 64gb microSD from amazon a couple of hours ago and have already got the email saying it was dispatched and will arrive tomo, so i'll let you know how that goes. :)

64gb cards are not *officially* supported apparently, but everyone who's tried one says it works fine as long as you use the mSetup app for the mobius to format the card via USB with it in the camera, so I guess we'll see how that goes. :)

just for reference, you get 5 minutes of 30fps 1080p video for every 658mb on your memory card.

i believe the only real caveat with it is that you have to then copy files directly from the camera via USB from then on as you can't read the card in other devices, but it's fine for my purposes.

i'll let you know how i get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

in related news, i just ordered this Sandisk 64gb microSD from amazon a couple of hours ago and have already got the email saying it was dispatched and will arrive tomo, so i'll let you know how that goes. :)

64gb cards are not *officially* supported apparently, but everyone who's tried one says it works fine as long as you use the mSetup app for the mobius to format the card via USB with it in the camera, so I guess we'll see how that goes. :)

just for reference, you get 5 minutes of 30fps 1080p video for every 658mb on your memory card.

i believe the only real caveat with it is that you have to then copy files directly from the camera via USB from then on as you can't read the card in other devices, but it's fine for my purposes.

i'll let you know how i get on with it.
    about 8 hours?

alyssum wrote: »
    about 8 hours?
    no idea, my maths is terrible! :pac:

sounds about right tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thanks to Vibe666 I decided to order the Mobius with the cig adaptor 3mtr cable & 2 windscreen mounts. Went with Eletoponline 365, emailed them and they are sending all the bits in the 1 box, got them to send it to ParcelMotel Belfast address, they estimate about 2 weeks for delivery. Will update when it arrives and if I get hit with customs.

looks like my 64gb microSD has landed in belfast, so should be in my PM box by this evening.

also my buyincoins calculator for anyone following the BA alerts thread. :D

EDIT: got it, and it worked right out of the box and is visible in windows at the full capacity both in the mobius and in the SD slot in my laptop with an SD to micro adapter card.

still only copies at about 10MB/s via the mobius, but getting 17MB/s via the adapter directly plugged into the laptop, so all good.

one of these if anyone is looking for one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQU-064G-U46A-microSDXC-Including-Adapter/dp/B007JTKM30/

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

looks like my 64gb microSD has landed in belfast, so should be in my PM box by this evening.

also my buyincoins calculator for anyone following the BA alerts thread. :D

EDIT: got it, and it worked right out of the box and is visible in windows at the full capacity both in the mobius and in the SD slot in my laptop with an SD to micro adapter card.

Why spend so much on such a large card for a dashcam where the main point of it is that you only record when there's an incident? 16gb would more than suffice and tbh, I'd be thinking about more like an 8gb.

Do you plan on making/storing vids of other things (Trackdays)?

i plan on using it for whatever i want to use it for. i wanted to see if it would take a 64gb card and it does.

the cam records whenever there is power to it, so what happens if something happens on a long journey that i want to save? if i've only got a small card in it i would have to unplug it and leave it off, potentially missing another important incident.

a 64gb card is peanuts (€47 delivered, give or take) compared to ending up potentially paying out for an accident that wasn't my fault, it's a bargain.

the mobius action cam is a great quality and versatile 1080p HD video recorder the size of a matchbox. I can think of a lot of uses for it that would required a big sd card and i'm also pretty sure that what with it being a free country and all, i can spend my money on pretty much whatever gadgets i want? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

it being a free country and all, i can spend my money on pretty much whatever gadgets i want? :rolleyes:

No you can't, you have to run it by the Bargain Alerts forum first so that people can tell you whether it is a bargain or not, or tell you that you could get a better one from somewhere else for half the price!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

the cam records whenever there is power to it, so what happens if something happens on a long journey that i want to save?

Insert a second card, then you're covered no matter how long the journey. Unless you've 3 things you want to keep, of course; but that's a vicious circle -- if that were the case you'd be better off buying a rake of small cards.

You have a fair point and I will actually be buying another card for that reason, but 64GB is the high-end of MicroSD at the moment, so it's overpriced. You'd get two higher spec 32GB for the same or less.

rovoagho wrote: »
    Insert a second card, then you're covered no matter how long the journey. Unless you've 3 things you want to keep, of course; but that's a vicious circle -- if that were the case you'd be better off buying a rake of small cards.

You have a fair point and I will actually be buying another card for that reason, but 64GB is the high-end of MicroSD at the moment, so it's overpriced. You'd get two higher spec 32GB for the same or less.
    and you've either had to stop to replace one card with another one, or you've missed the opportunity to film yourself crashing into someone because you were busy fumbling with your dashcam trying to change the card because you wanted to keep a video of a dead badger (or whatever) on your other card.

personally, i'm a lot happier paying a couple of quid extra to not have to worry about it. if i wanted the cheapest microsd out there i wouldn't have paid for the sandisk ultra 64gb, which incidentally is £38.60 compared to the £20.15 for the 32gb one on amazon, so like for like, one 64gb card was cheaper than two of the same 32gb cards. :)

just checked a couple of sites and there is negligible difference between 32gb cards and 64gb ones of any given brand, so given the choice and not much of a price difference, a single 64gb card seems to make more sense if you know your dashcam will support it, which thanks to me testing the waters, you now know it does. ;)

i've also had some trouble with non-branded cards in the past that weren't recognised in my old dashcam (although they worked perfectly in everything else I tried) which i then ended up buying a replacement for in a bricks and mortar shop at much higher expense to get me out of a pinch, so i went for the sandisk from a known good seller that i've used before to save myself some bother and it works perfectly.

Just a quick update placed order with Eletoponline 365 ordered on the 16th of August shipped on the 17th got it sent to Parcel Motel address in Belfast and it was in my pick up point this morning, no customs issue, was in a small jiffy bag and they through in a video out cable as a gift, so 6 days from China now that was quick! just need to set it up and test it and then decide on memory card to get.

@vibe666 got a transcend class 10 32gb card from memory, would have got the 64gb but they had no stock camera work fine have it set to 1080p 30fps, 1 thing that concerns me is the temp of the heatsink it gets really hot i'm not sure if this will shorten the life of the components but it looks like it could do with a larger heatsink or better ventilation for the heat to escape, does yours get as hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Iv'e just got a Prestigio RoadRunner 511 from Memoryman.ie €119 from his ebay store with free delivery, it's wicked :D

He has other models as well, cheaper ones etc.
    already had a class 10 SD card,
    It's my first dash cam so i don't know to much about them but i'm impressed with it so far, only had it a few days,
    the camera works really well and the picture quality is great.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prestigio-RoadRunner-511-In-Car-Dashboard-Video-Recorder-2-5-LCD-HDMI-Out-NEW-/261239420376?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders&hash=item3cd31535d8

http://www.memoryman.ie/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=RoadRunner&product_id=593

1 thing that concerns me is the temp of the heatsink it gets really hot i'm not sure if this will shorten the life of the components but it looks like it could do with a larger heatsink or better ventilation for the heat to escape, does yours get as hot?
    that's the whole point of the heatsink, it's supposed to get hot, that means it's working. ;)

seriously though, it's fine. check out the techmoan review, he mentions the heatsink and temps.

Camera arrived safe and sound this morning.
    Taking vibe666's advice and i wont be plugging it into the car until the official mobius 3M USB cable and Ciggy Adaptor arrives ;)

Just have to do the initial set up and configuration now.

Vibe do you leave it up fulltime on the windscreen or do you take it down when not in use? I take it down every time I leave the van as don't want someone to see it and break in and rob it, but it's a pain as then your taking it down and putting it up 5 or 6 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I'm ditching my Roadhawk, just ordered one of these moments ago:

Quality looks fantastic and is nice and compact too. Ordered from the link in the video description.

• Advertisement

Vibe do you leave it up fulltime on the windscreen or do you take it down when not in use? I take it down every time I leave the van as don't want someone to see it and break in and rob it, but it's a pain as then your taking it down and putting it up 5 or 6 times a day.
    depends on where I am. usually leave it in at home or if i'm parked somewhere off the street where it isn't too bright (multi storey car parks etc.), but if i'm somewhere for a while where it's likely to attract the attention of someone dodgy i'll take it down.

on the cig lighter front, my car is in for repairs and i've ended up driving the mrs's car for a while and annoyingly the cig lighter socket is constantly powered even with the ignition off so i have had to keep plugging it out and after a couple of weeks of constant plugging in and out the mobius cig lighter gave up the ghost.

i've since picked up a sturdier looking one in the local garage which seems to be doing the job nicely and doesn't look like it's going to break any time soon (touch wood).

if you're not plugging the mobius one in and out all the time though it shouldn't be an issue for you.

depends on where I am. usually leave it in at home or if i'm parked somewhere off the street where it isn't too bright (multi storey car parks etc.), but if i'm somewhere for a while where it's likely to attract the attention of someone dodgy i'll take it down.

on the cig lighter front, my car is in for repairs and i've ended up driving the mrs's car for a while and annoyingly the cig lighter socket is constantly powered even with the ignition off so i have had to keep plugging it out and after a couple of weeks of constant plugging in and out the mobius cig lighter gave up the ghost.

i've since picked up a sturdier looking one in the local garage which seems to be doing the job nicely and doesn't look like it's going to break any time soon (touch wood).

if you're not plugging the mobius one in and out all the time though it shouldn't be an issue for you.

On the E60 its the same.
    I have an adaptor that converts the torch charger in the glove box to a ciggy female holder, which powers down 15 mins after the car is turned off (like all BMW's).

So i route my cables to there and leave the camera plugged in constantly and only remove if i need to acces some of the video clips.

Amateurs. :) I'm sticking dual usb ports behind the dash, one for this and one for the phone. I looked for a hub, but they're either mad money or not voltage controlled.

Amateurs. :) I'm sticking dual usb ports behind the dash, one for this and one for the phone. I looked for a hub, but they're either mad money or not voltage controlled.

I done that before, and the hubs burned out from the constant 12V feed and bricked my previous dashcam. Hence the need to buy this new one and making sure im doing it right this time ;)

My ports'll only be live when the ignition is on. Need to do the same thing for a two-way anyway. Been a while since I wired a relay mind.... :)

should be okay as long as you make sure it's capable of pushing 5v and 1000mA to each usb port or you may end up frying the dashcam.

My ports'll only be live when the ignition is on. Need to do the same thing for a two-way anyway. Been a while since I wired a relay mind.... :)

So were mine!
    Connected to IGN on only wire.

kceire wrote: »
    So were mine!
    Connected to IGN on only wire.

Where did the constant 12V feed come from then? :confused:

Where did the constant 12V feed come from then? :confused:

i may have worded it wrong, but what i meant was the hub burned out from daily use after 2 months.
    My map lights in the E36 were IGN live and thats what they were connected to using the hub/12V-5V convertor.

Im no sparks btw so you may have more knowledge than me in that area, just be carefull would be my advice, dont want to brick it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ordered from the link in the video description.

Do you know how much the final cost in euros to your door is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement