Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

alyssum wrote: »
    why use parcel motel?

To avoid the risk of EU entry customs charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

kceire wrote: »
    To avoid the risk of EU entry customs charges.
    eggsackary. ;)

well, reduce the chances anyway. last thing anyone needs is getting entered by EU customs. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭alyssum

vibe666 wrote: »
    eggsackary. ;)

well, reduce the chances anyway. last thing anyone needs is getting entered by EU customs. :pac:
    ok thanks

eggsackary. ;)

but they are in the UK?
    http://joovuu.com/store/index.php?id_product=14&controller=product

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

From China it's ~53 euro, the UK one is ~70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

rocky wrote: »
    From China it's ~53 euro, the UK one is ~70

I suppose if anything goes wrong with it, it would be cheaper to send it back to UK supplier.

what is the supplied tripod mount like?

alyssum wrote: »
    will it start recording when car starts and over write when out of space? 16gb card 80 mins, that all?
    here are all the settings in the configuration app that you use from your PC to configure all the settings available on the mobius camera.

266874.jpg

266875.jpg

also, it's generally accepted that it will take anything up to and including a 64gb microSD card and will record continuously for 80 minutes or so on battery power alone, or indefinitely with external power, up to the limit of whatever card is used in it, but will also do cycle recording, deleting whatever is the oldest file to create room for new ones depending on how you configure it.

and yes, cheaper to buy from an authorised reseller in china than from the UK and will arrive in (generally) less than 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Do you have any links to the Chinese Mobius sellers?
    Thanks.

ustari wrote: »
    Thanks.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/151071891306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_9801wt_973

just ordered one now, getting it sent to my brothers while im away.

• Advertisement

ustari wrote: »
    Thanks.
    the RC Groups forums seem to have become the semi-official location of all Mobius camera resources and they have a load of info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170905&postcount=2

here are all the settings in the configuration app that you use from your PC to configure all the settings available on the mobius camera.

266874.jpg

266875.jpg

also, it's generally accepted that it will take anything up to and including a 64gb microSD card and will record continuously for 80 minutes or so on battery power alone, or indefinitely with external power, up to the limit of whatever card is used in it, but will also do cycle recording, deleting whatever is the oldest file to create room for new ones depending on how you configure it.

and yes, cheaper to buy from an authorised reseller in china than from the UK and will arrive in (generally) less than 10 days.
    Can it be connected to the cig lighter in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

That's how it's powered, yes, but the cheapest package doesn't come with a power lead. I'm using one I already have installed from previous dashcams.

That's how it's powered, yes, but the cheapest package doesn't come with a power lead. I'm using one I already have installed from previous dashcams.
    ok thanks

the RC Groups forums seem to have become the semi-official location of all Mobius camera resources and they have a load of info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25170905&postcount=2

So which of the Chinese resellers did you buy yours from? And your saying it's better getting it sent to Parcel Motel in Belfast as possible less chance of it getting caught in customs.
    Also items with the camera that need to be bought cigarette lighter power cable, windscreen suction cup mount anything else?

I do a lot of driving for a living and see some crazy stuff saw a guy come across three lanes on the N4 tonight nearly hit the barrier.

Thanks

just as a warning for others attempting this. some dashcams have non-standard wiring even though they use a mini-usb connection and *some* are wired in such a way that if you use them with the mobius cam it *could* brick it, leaving it totally and permanently useless.

the other thing is, although most other cig lighter PSU's will work, if they aren't able to supply the mobius with enough juice constantly, it could result in premature battery wear and/or damage your microSD card. you'll need to be sure your PSU can supply a minimum of 1000mW and 5 to 5.5v to avoid any problems down the line.
    So which of the Chinese resellers did you buy yours from?  And your saying it's better getting it sent to Parcel Motel in Belfast as possible less chance of it getting caught in customs.
    Also items with the camera that need to be bought cigarette lighter power cable, windscreen suction cup mount anything else?
    I got my Mobius with a suction windscreen mount, regular power cable, long usb power cable (the standard one only reaches from the cig lighter to the rear view mirror, so you can't put it round the windscreen out of the way) and the official cig lighter adapter, all from these guys who are an official Mobius reseller: http://myworld.ebay.com/eletoponline365

great communication (and super polite!) and falling over themselves to help me. they also threw in the usb to A/V out (with external usb power) cable for free and they were cheap and quick delivery too, a single package all delivered in 10 days (ordered on 25th july delivered on 4th aug) from China with a tracking no.

Thanks for the info but just wondering I was going to get it sent to Parcel Motel Belfast address but they say under the items they will only ship to paypal verified addresses how did you get around getting it sent? Think you said you got it sent to your local parcel motel pickup?

just as a warning for others attempting this. some dashcams have non-standard wiring even though they use a mini-usb connection and *some* are wired in such a way that if you use them with the mobius cam it *could* brick it, leaving it totally and permanently useless.

the other thing is, although most other cig lighter PSU's will work, if they aren't able to supply the mobius with enough juice constantly, it could result in premature battery wear and/or damage your microSD card. you'll need to be sure your PSU can supply a minimum of 1000mW and 5 to 5.5v to avoid any problems down the line.
    I got my Mobius with a suction windscreen mount, regular power cable, long usb power cable (the standard one only reaches from the cig lighter to the rear view mirror, so you can't put it round the windscreen out of the way) and the official cig lighter adapter, all from these guys who are an official Mobius reseller: http://myworld.ebay.com/eletoponline365

great communication (and super polite!) and falling over themselves to help me. they also threw in the usb to A/V out (with external usb power) cable for free and they were cheap and quick delivery too, a single package all delivered in 10 days (ordered on 25th july delivered on 4th aug) from China with a tracking no.

Just bought the same camera from the same seller.
    Can i connect it to a ciggy to USB connector that i have from my previous dash cam?
    Thanks for the info but just wondering I was going to get it sent to Parcel Motel Belfast address but they say under the items they will only ship to paypal verified addresses how did you get around getting it sent? Think you said you got it sent to your local parcel motel pickup?

Add your PM address to your paypal account, then when buying, you can sellect what address to send it to.

Just bought the same camera from the same seller.
    Can i connect it to a ciggy to USB connector that i have from my previous dash cam?
    yep, it's the wiring in the USB cable itself that is the important bit, so as long as the ciggie usb adapter can output a minimum of 5v and 1000mW it should be grand.

if it's less than that though it will still probably work, but could cause premature battery wear or a risk of memory card corruption.
    Add your PM address to your paypal account, then when buying, you can sellect what address to send it to.
    yep, exactly what I did.

yep, it's the wiring in the USB cable itself that is the important bit, so as long as the ciggie usb adapter can output a minimum of 5v and 1000mW it should be grand.

if it's less than that though it will still probably work, but could cause premature battery wear or a risk of memory card corruption.

yep, exactly what I did.

Cool, will have a look at the wording on my ciggy plug and take note. It worked perfect on my last E60 with my last dash cam.

I connected it to a 12V to 5V convertor and it blew the camera while using it in the E36!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You need the check the voltage on the adaptor of your old camera. My iTronics camera had the same as my old DSR1100 so they were fine, but you might find some will differ.

cormie wrote: »
    You need the check the voltage on the adaptor of your old camera. My iTronics camera had the same as my old DSR1100 so they were fine, but you might find some will differ.

My old cam was 5V.
    Whats the mobius one?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Chris Dolmeth

MyMemory are selling one for £21
    Linky

No idea on the quality of it, just thought I'd post it as it's on sale down from £40 according to the email I got from them today.
    720p
    140 deg lens
    up to 32Gb microSD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Maybe we should be allowed post short clips to demonstrate the quality of the cam rather than actual incidents on this thread?

My old cam was 5V.
    Whats the mobius one?
    5v and 1000mW, but if it's got the lead built directly into the cig adapter i'd be very wary of using it as you have no idea how it's wired as several of those types of camera have non-standard wiring and that could be a quick way of turning your mobius into a paperweight.

for the sake of a couple of quid to get one with it, i wouldn't be taking the chance personally.

5v and 1000mW, but if it's got the lead built directly into the cig adapter i'd be very wary of using it as you have no idea how it's wired as several of those types of camera have non-standard wiring and that could be a quick way of turning your mobius into a paperweight.

for the sake of a couple of quid to get one with it, i wouldn't be taking the chance personally.

Would I be better off buying one of those little ciggy lighter to USB adapters and plug the supplied cable into it?

Sorry to go on about this but I rooted out the box from my previous dash cam. I have the ciggy to mini USB cable as supplied with that. And the power of that cam was 5V / 500MA.

Would that cable be ok with the möbius?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Why don't you just use the cable that's supplied with the mobius? :P

Sorry to go on about this but I rooted out the box from my previous dash cam. I have the ciggy to mini USB cable as supplied with that. And the power of that cam was 5V / 500MA.

Would that cable be ok with the möbius?
    only if you want to brick it.

5V/500mA isn't even close to the 5V/1000mA I've already stated is required for the mobius. ( and you even quoted me saying it!)

as I've also already stated, unless you know for a fact that the cable that came with your dashcam is wired in the standard usb configuration, even if it was 5V/1000mW you run the risk of bricking your mobius the first time you connect it.

I just don't get why you're making such a big deal out of not spending a couple of euro to use a proper adapter?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Why don't you just use the cable that's supplied with the mobius? :P

Seemly it doesn't reach where I want to plug it in. I will know for sure when I receive it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement