Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

The problem is, I don't think gps speed is 100% accurate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JamboMac wrote: »
    The problem is, I don't think gps speed is 100% accurate.

it's accurate enough for ships and aircraft, why wouldn't it be accurate?

there might be a 1-3 second delay in the correct speed being displayed, but for me, I've always found it accurate (I set my cruise control to 124 km/h on my phone GPS, the displayed speed on the camera is a 100% match every time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

it's accurate enough for ships and aircraft, why wouldn't it be accurate?

there might be a 1-3 second delay in the correct speed being displayed, but for me, I've always found it accurate (I set my cruise control to 124 km/h on my phone GPS, the displayed speed on the camera is a 100% match every time!

It's accurate indeed. The only problem is if your speed changes a lot. You will get some delay. Constant speed on the motorway for example is 100% accurate.

Of course you're not going to have real time speed information, but as I said above, you'll have a 1 to 3 second delay, which I can live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

If you are fitting a rear view one (facing out the back window) where do you route the cable? Can I get small clips or something to pin the cable along the headlining? I have a spare cigarette socket between the driver and passenger seats facing backwards where it could be plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

veganrun wrote: »
    If you are fitting a rear view one (facing out the back window) where do you route the cable?
    Having...
    [...] a spare cigarette socket between the driver and passenger seats facing backwards [...]
    ...I'd put a cable under a carpet and rear seats.

What class of micro SD card would I need with the eprance 0801?

I've read conflicting stories about classes and capacity.

What class of micro SD card would I need with the eprance 0801?

I've read conflicting stories about classes and capacity.

Samsung 32gb class 6

I've an 0801 and use the above card with no issues, I believe the issues arise if you use a class 10!

Samsung 32gb class 6

I've an 0801 and use the above card with no issues, I believe the issues arise if you use a class 10!

Glad I checked. Almost bought a class 10 earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

Samsung 32gb class 6

I have the same card after mistakenly buying the class 10 first. The 0801 would stop recording and would crash regularly with the class 10. I then got the class 6 card and not one issue since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I was going to one of these as I've a class 10 in my camera at the moment and I'll stick that in my phone. Is there such a thing as a class 6 64Gb?

Not sure. This is the one I bought in jan 2014

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B009HPFV3U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1441402167&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=Samsung+32GB+Class+6+24MB%2Fs+Micro+SDHC+Standard+Memory+Card+without+Adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=41AHhtUyiAL&ref=plSrch[url][/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That's the one I seen when I searched too. Can't seem to find a 64Gb class 6, so maybe there's no such thing.

BTW, what is 'Frustration Free Packaging', and why is it worth the extra quid?

I saw that and it was priced as extra, so I ignored it. Mine came in a cardboard envelope. Took all of 10 seconds to break in including reading the name to confirm it was mine :)

The 0801 supports a max card size of 32gb, so if there is such a thing as a 64gb class 6, don't bother with it.

Can I get clips or something to stick the cable along the interior? I had a look at the interior panelling and its quite tight but even if i fitted the cable under it, the dash comes right out to each door so I would have to bring the cable out anyway to get it over to the cigarette lighter.

Can I get clips or something to stick the cable along the interior? I had a look at the interior panelling and its quite tight but even if i fitted the cable under it, the dash comes right out to each door so I would have to bring the cable out anyway to get it over to the cigarette lighter.

I'm sure you can

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

The 0801 supports a max card size of 32gb, so if there is such a thing as a 64gb class 6, don't bother with it.

I read somewhere that some owner used a 64gb sdxc card partitioned in 2 and it worked perfectly.
    I never tried it though.

vectra wrote: »
    I read somewhere that some owner used a 64gb sdxc card partitioned in 2 and it worked perfectly.
    I never tried it though.

This would work, but you'll still only have 32gb available space! so by all means, you could buy a more expensive card, but still have to partition it down to 32gb, so what would the point be? the camera won't switch from 1 partition to another, you'll simply be losing half your card's available space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The seller also told me that class 10 cards won't work and they suggest Samsung, because it's the only brand that never caused troubles.
    I have some kind of repulsion to this brand but I had to hold my nose and stick with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Could anyone recommend a dash cam from Argos? Afew nice ones or should I avoid Argos all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

When I bought both of ours from amazon there was an option to buy the SD card with the camera, it came with it in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

This would work, but you'll still only have 32gb available space! so by all means, you could buy a more expensive card, but still have to partition it down to 32gb, so what would the point be? the camera won't switch from 1 partition to another, you'll simply be losing half your card's available space.

I will have to try search out the forum I read it on which will probably be a non runner as it was some time ago but I am certain he said it recorded to both partitions?
    I could be wrong.
    I could be very wrong :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just ordered the G1W CB from the genuine, reputable seller on e-bay listed here a few times.

Looking forward to receiving it now :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281702970175

It's funny how all the sample pics are from Ireland with Irish reg's etc lol

I also messaged the above eBay shop "estore009" asking them to add Ireland to delivery options which they now have.

So if anyone's ordering anything from them in future it should have Ireland as a delivery option without the need to use parcel motel and if not just message them and they will change it to allow deliveries to Ireland quickly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I also messaged the above eBay shop "estore009" asking them to add Ireland to delivery options which they now have.

So if anyone's ordering anything from them in future it should have Ireland as a delivery option without the need to use parcel motel and if not just message them and they will change it to allow deliveries to Ireland quickly enough.

Good stuff - can you let us know how you get on with your camera (quality of picture, etc...) when you get it hooked up - thinking of buying one myself.

Good stuff - can you let us know how you get on with your camera (quality of picture, etc...) when you get it hooked up - thinking of buying one myself.

Yeah no bother. There's a few sample pics from this cam on the eBay listing looks very clear. I've also researched the crap out of them and they give a superb quality video for that kind of money both day and night. Lots of videos from it on YouTube too even with the YouTube compression looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Guys, mostly drive at night so am wondering about a good night vision dash cam and do you press a button to save incidents or how do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

ikeano29 wrote: »
    Guys, mostly drive at night so am wondering about a good night vision dash cam and do you press a button to save incidents or how do they work?

You're timing couldn't be better!
    TechMoan just reviewed a dashcam with the best night time capture I've ever seen by a very very large margin.

https://youtu.be/MsxIMmW8m3oo

I'm sure it's expensive but you'll have it for years..

It's also got a handy button to save a clip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The ADR810 seems to have to best day & night vision but sound quality isn't as good. I don't use the sound function myself, but overall seems like a good buy and would seriously consider it if I was in the market for one. It's a little bit more expensive than what's available at about €220 ex. delivery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement