Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

What price fitted? Surely they would have to consider what was going to be powering the device and whether it would be going to the always on, or ignition when installing?

I'd be interested too in a mobile service, (I have the kits after all) I'd want it wired into a fuse that only gets powered when the ignition is on ala the cigarette lighter socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

thebiglad wrote: »
    [...] make sure that you have a circuit breaker (stops the current when car is turned off) else it will be on permanently and drain the battery if parked for a while.

Or get it hardwired to ignition - no need to remember about power cut-off. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I think (it was about 2 years ago) cost was €80 - I installed a Blackvue so it was a pricey enough Cam therefore didn't seem so bad. If you install a €100 cam then it seems worse.

Worth it in my opinion though, lovely job and no trailing wires.

May be cheaper if they supply and fit a model for you.

Good point about wiring into the ignition, guess that they found another wire to cut in from - if I do it again I will ask about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I think I've bricked my 0801 after the last firmware update. A common fault with them is the 'low card speed error' and it will auto shutdown after a few minutes.

I tried reverting back to the stock firmware but it won't update back to it or with any other version.

So I think I have to upgrade to the 0806 I just hope they have fixed all the bugs and have a solid firmware in place now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 AprilPhilips

Is there a risk of the windscreen being smashed and dashcam stolen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is there a risk of the windscreen being smashed and dashcam stolen?

I have a 0801 permanently mounted behind my rear view mirror. I have had it a few years and not once did anyone bother with it. It has very small value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

0803 here, worried about the same thing. TBH people don't even notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Alan if you have an auto dim mirror in your E46, you can wire a dashcam to the ignition wire leading to same. Just pop off the overhead reading lamp assembly in the headliner and you can get access to the wires in seconds.

0803 here, worried about the same thing. TBH people don't even notice it.
    Ok where is the UK shop, the amazon one? They plug into cigar lighter? Do newer cars have these

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Ok where is the UK shop, the amazon one? They plug into cigar lighter? Do newer cars have these

I got my Eprance 0803 from amazon
    I got a piggy back fuse holder and an cigarette lighter socket with trailing lead both on Ebay.
    I located a spare fuse socket that powers on with ignition and plugged into that. I hid the wire down the "A" pillar and under the headlining.
    Perfect job and quiet simple.

No need to be paying anyone 60 euro or so to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Stupid question but do these things stick onto your dash/windscreen like a Satnav does? I have a satnav with a suction mount but its useless, it keeps falling off the windscreen after about 10 minutes.

Or do they glue on a bit like a e-flow tag does?

Do they run off the cigarette lighter?

veganrun wrote: »
    Stupid question but do these things stick onto your dash/windscreen like a Satnav does? I have a satnav with a suction mount but its useless, it keeps falling off the windscreen after about 10 minutes.

Or do they glue on a bit like a e-flow tag does?

Do they run off the cigarette lighter?

They come both ways,

some have suction cups, some have sticky pads (like the e-flow tag) (mini series have the sticky pad, as I'm sure most decent ones do).

They usually all come with a cigarette lighter socket plug, so yes, again, similar to a sat nav, phone charger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I think I've bricked my 0801 after the last firmware update. A common fault with them is the 'low card speed error' and it will auto shutdown after a few minutes.

I tried reverting back to the stock firmware but it won't update back to it or with any other version.

So I think I have to upgrade to the 0806 I just hope they have fixed all the bugs and have a solid firmware in place now.

Well after reading a few more threads on dashcamtalk in search of a fix my cam. I have found an official firmware which I have now flashed to my 0801. I got it from here. So I have not as I taught bricked my cam :). I'll see how I get on with this one and report back if there are any faults.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Patww79 wrote: »

AE would be Auto exposure

EV would be well explained here >> EV Explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

..."lets have a look at the video shall we Guard? and see who was at fault"), ...

Not saying it isn't good fun to shame the idiots, but if involved in an accident I would say it is sensible not to let on to anyone - third party, Garda, bystander - that you have a camera. When you get home copy the footage multiple times to separate locations and submit it with your insurance report. Or not, depending on the circumstances!!

I would love it if a company would bring out a discreet (i.e. virtually invisible) front and rear camera which recorded to a secure location in the boot or similar.

It surely can't be long before they are built in to new vehicles.

Edit - we have mini 801s on both our cars. I may look at upgrading these to dual channel in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Anyone using Transcend 200/220?

They seem to get good reviews, although going by the dimensions they appear big-ish (I haven't seen one IRL)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Not saying it isn't good fun to shame the idiots, but if involved in an accident I would say it is sensible not to let on to anyone - third party, Garda, bystander - that you have a camera. When you get home copy the footage multiple times to separate locations and submit it with your insurance report. Or not, depending on the circumstances!!

I would love it if a company would bring out a discreet (i.e. virtually invisible) front and rear camera which recorded to a secure location in the boot or similar.

It surely can't be long before they are built in to new vehicles.

Edit - we have mini 801s on both our cars. I may look at upgrading these to dual channel in the near future.

I would agree regarding saying feck all, and getting home to view the footage yourself to a. be sure you were not in the wrong and b. didn't do anything else preceding the accident that would implicate yourself.

But at the same time, I'd expect a traffic corps Garda to be savvy enough to spot a dash cam in your window.

Don't bother with a duel channel, if 1 goes they both go! I've an 0806 in the front and an 0801 in the rear, and they are great at what they do (I did a video or 2 a while back using footage from both cameras)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

...But at the same time, I'd expect a traffic corps Garda to be savvy enough to spot a dash cam in your window.

Yeah I suppose so, but I'm not sure if it's part of their SOPs to look. I plan to move the camera in our F30 over the weekend up higher. The one in the A5 is hidden by the sunstrip looking downwards so isn't as obvious. Just need to make sure I don't cover any sensors.

Not sure if the Garda have the right to confiscate the camera, last thing you want is it sitting in a plastic bag for months.

vectra wrote: »
    I got my Eprance 0803 from amazon
    I got a piggy back fuse holder and an cigarette lighter socket with trailing lead both on Ebay.
    I located a spare fuse socket that powers on with ignition and plugged into that. I hid the wire down the "A" pillar and under the headlining.
    Perfect job and quiet simple.

No need to be paying anyone 60 euro or so to do it.
    Eprance 0803 is around 78 sterling now. is the Eprance 0801 stiil a good buy.

do they record conversation in the car and can this be turned off

• Advertisement

Yes and yes to your question. My 0801 is working again :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

lads was in an accident their yesterday,
    a cyclist hit my car but claims it was my fault
    he was cycling on the path go past the red light as I was clear to turn and he hit into my passanger side

I was abit shocked for the day, and thankfully he is ok

All he wants is a new bike paid from me, I told him I'd let my insurance company sort out it out because they will need to investigate
    garda are currently checking the cctv in the area of were it happened.

But incase that comes up short I pretty much have no choice but to buy him a new bike as its his word against mine :/ with no witnesses

anyhow long story short I've decided to buy 2 cameras or possible 4 as I drive around town alot and theirs to many cyclists for my comfort all it takes is one of them to make the wrong move and thats me screwed.

Anyone recommend a decent one? quality doesnt have to be amazing like hd or anything.

would I be best of getting 1 in the front and rear? what about the sides of the car?
    cheers :)

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    would I be best of getting 1 in the front and rear? what about the sides of the car?

I just have a front and rear camera (an 0801 & an 0806), both of which are very discreet.

with side mounted cameras I'd say your getting into messy territory, as unless you get them fitted, you'll have wires all over the place, also, depending on what car you drive, they may need to be mounted on door windows etc... in my opinion, they'd be a nice idea, but a big headache getting them in.

some of the cameras now have wide angle lenses, so your almost getting sideways coverage with them anyway, you might just have a small blind spot when the object you are filming is dead on your beam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hal1 wrote: »
    Yes and yes to your question. My 0801 is working again :).
    the second yes is the sound record can be turned off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I just bought one of these off Ebay to try out:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-720P-HD-Small-Dash-Car-DVR-Camera-Video-Recorder-Register-Cam-G-Sensor-UK-/261818860832?hash=item3cf59ec520

I like the fact that it's discreet and can fit neatly behind the rearview mirror!

Has anybody else bought one of these?

Also, would anybody know how I would got about hooking it up so that it automatically switches on/off with the car?

Thanks!

the second yes is the sound record can be turned off?

yes.

ION08 wrote: »
    how I would got about hooking it up so that it automatically switches on/off with the car?

You'll most likely plug it into your cigarette lighter socket, so if that gets powered on/off with the engine/ignition, your sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

You'll most likely plug it into your cigarette lighter socket, so if that gets powered on/off with the engine/ignition, your sorted.

cheers for the reply but I think my cigarette lighter has a constant current going to it :(

• Advertisement

ION08 wrote: »
    cheers for the reply but I think my cigarette lighter has a constant current going to it :(

Then you would have to plug it in/out every time, or get it hardwired into a power supply that comes on/off with the ignition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement