Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

No. You just pressed the up arrow. Hold it down. Then it will go to sub menu. I have 0801 and it is same menu. Change recording to continuous .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

I should have also said, press the ok button first to stop recording before trying to get to the sub menu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I have that Motion detect off, It will keep recording at lights etc, power is still going to the camera.

I got the 0806, these are good cameras and you get the updates on the site here - at least for 0806 models.

http://www.mini0806.com/update.html

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I was going to post some tool overtaking on hatching coming up the Howth road but the 0803 hasn't recording anything since June - Any ideas? Card has 500Mb on it but not recording anything.

EDIT: Note to self - plugging it in helps.

I've settled on the Nextbase 402G pro!
    Had the mini 0806 before this and whilst is good, I still find the Nextbase sharper and easier to view stills and registrations.
    One big issue I had with the 0806 is the uneven focus on the lens!
    There is some DIY instructions for fixing this but I wouldn't attempt it, they are so fragile most users would destroy it!
    Night driving on the 402g is excellent!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was going to post some tool overtaking on hatching coming up the Howth road but the 0803 hasn't recording anything since June - Any ideas? Card has 500Mb on it but not recording anything.

EDIT: Note to self - plugging it in helps.

Just on a side note, my möbius stopped recording this year also. Turns out the memory card was just fecked. I put it down to it reaching its max amount of record, delete and record again cycles.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Patww79 wrote: »

my 0806 did this on warm/sunny days, but since installing the custom firmware, it hasn't done it since!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95925744&postcount=940

but as stated, this is for an 0806,
    I see something on the link posted earlier, but the instructions are very very hazy to say the least. Is there a clearer one out there?

https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0805/#Firmware_Update_Instructions

This looks like what you need for the 0805, The one by FoxOffer looks to be the latest version.
    just download the file, and drop it onto an SD card (unzip it if it is a zip file), pop into the camera, and turn the camera on, it will ask you if you want to update the firmware, just select yes, and away you go.
    However, I have no experience with the 0805, as I said ,I installed custom firmware for an 0806, and it's finally given me the dash cam I paid for!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Can anyone recommend a good dashcam and what to look out for. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 AprilPhilips

Would Nextbase InCarCam 202 Lite NBDVR202 69 euro be any good? On halfords site i cannot linkOr any other suggestions welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Any of the EPrance 0801/2/3/4 are a good bet for a starter cam, can be picked up very cheap online and are really simple to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 AprilPhilips

EazyD wrote: »
    Any of the EPrance 0801/2/3/4 are a good bet for a starter cam, can be picked up very cheap online and are really simple to use.
    Would it be on sales in any shop in ireland?

8GB built in memory? would you need a card at all then? I presume it overwrites as it records

Night vision NA. Will it work under street lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Would it be on sales in any shop in ireland?

8GB built in memory? would you need a card at all then? I presume it overwrites as it records

Night vision NA. Will it work under street lights?

I have 0801 the last year.... cant fault it and its decent under street lights.
    Have a look in the dashcam video thread to see what its like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Can you get one that looks out through the windscreen and through the back window at the same time?

veganrun wrote: »
    Can you get one that looks out through the windscreen and through the back window at the same time?

You can, I believe they're called duel channel dash cams.
    Some have both cameras on the main unit (looking in each direction), others come with the rear camera on an extension cable so you can actually mount it on your rear windscreen.

I have no experience with them though so couldn't say which ones are good or not!, I use 2 stand alone's for the front (0806) & rear (0801), with the logic being that with a duel channel dash camera, if one of them goes, the entire set up will need to be replaced.

Here's one with the 2 cameras separated with a cable.

Here's another with both cameras in the 1 unit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I really should get a dashcam before something happens. Trying to get something neat, and wired in very neat is what stops me.

I really should get a dashcam before something happens. Trying to get something neat, and wired in very neat is what stops me.

I have mine reasonable well hidden in terms of cables, both routed back to my centre console, I did buy the hardwire kits for them, to make them completely invisible, but with them both as they are now, they are not really bothering me! I've done a decent enough job of concealing the power cables in the trim!

for me, the mini series are the only one I'll ever want/need, hidden behind my mirror, I don't see it at all, compact was key for me!

Get one, they're great craic, potential money saver in an accident (no more your word against there's etc... "lets have a look at the video shall we Guard? and see who was at fault"), or else great craic looking back at some of the loolaa's you come across on the road, and shaming them on this site :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I got one installed by Autotronics (mobile service) very neat and hard wired - just make sure that you have a circuit breaker (stops the current when car is turned off) else it will be on permanently and drain the battery if parked for a while.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

thebiglad wrote: »
    I got one installed by Autotronics (mobile service) very neat and hard wired - just make sure that you have a circuit breaker (stops the current when car is turned off) else it will be on permanently and drain the battery if parked for a while.

What price fitted? Surely they would have to consider what was going to be powering the device and whether it would be going to the always on, or ignition when installing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

thebiglad wrote: »

Was it expensive to get it installed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement