Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

One problem for me, which may require re-positioning of the sticker mount, was that I got a lot of reflection from the windscreen in the video. I could see my own dashboard overlapping the bottom part of the image at times.

This sounds like you just need to rotate the CPL filter to find it's true position.
    don't assume that the little white dot needs to line up with the dot on the camera (i.e. 12 o'clock), I have mine set at about 2pm, and thats what works for me.

(take the CPL filter off and look through it at a computer monitor, then rotate it to see the importance having it in it's correct orientation)

The best way to set it is to sit in your car, with the camera (lcd screen) on, and place a sheet of white A4 paper on the dash, (you'll most likely see the reflection from the paper on the camera lcd screen), then simply rotate the cpl filter until the reflection of the paper is at it's least visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

It came with a polarizing filter which is magnetic to optionally attaches in front of the lens, although it feels like it would fall off, but doesn't.

One problem for me, which may require re-positioning of the sticker mount, was that I got a lot of reflection from the windscreen in the video. I could see my own dashboard overlapping the bottom part of the image at times.
    But I probably need to position the dashcam lens as close to the windscreen as physically possible.

You may have tried this already CD but if you rotate the polarizing filter it should get rid of the reflections. The CPL filter will get rid of different reflections at different degrees of rotation.

Key bit at 1:05

Edit: Snap AndyBoBandy.. I took far too long to write this post

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

This sounds like you just need to rotate the CPL filter to find it's true position.

Despite knowing a little bit of physics and optics, it just never occurred to me that the polarization filter had an orientation!

Thanks... I am guilty of not reading the manual, and didn't even see any alignment marks, I just stuck the filter on any old way!

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It was there, I picked a lower resolution by accident.
    Patww79 wrote: »

Yeah, I saw mentions of that before I bought.
    I just looked at the instructions to refocus and it's not too bad.
    Prise of the side, a few screws, connect the cam to a tv with a hdmi cable and twist the focusing ring until the TV image is clearer... will see.
    Might be worth a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone thought about buying the Polaroid Cube to use as a dashcam?

It looks fairly good for its size and price.

polaroid-cube-3.jpg

mainPhoto.jpg

PolaroidCubebackcoveroff.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Techmoan has a decent review of the Cube,

I'd say it would certainly be more feasible for bikes/cycles than in a car, but for the price, I think I'd stick to a more traditional dash cam.
    (It doesn't auto start/stop when it receives power, so that would be a pain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

What about this one ? Also i saw one in the argos mini xmas catalog but do not see it online. It was around 59 euro and reduced from 120 i think

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

How does the ones in halfords compare to the other models that are more popular here?

like this one:

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dashboard-cameras-parking-sensors/dashboard-cameras/nextbase-dash-cam-402g-professional

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭5W30

mik_da_man wrote: »
    How does the ones in halfords compare to the other models that are more popular here?

like this one:

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/dashboard-cameras-parking-sensors/dashboard-cameras/nextbase-dash-cam-402g-professional

The mount looks MASSIVE for a start. Not something I'd like on my windshield but each to their own I guess :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

5W30 wrote: »
    The mount looks MASSIVE for a start. Not something I'd like on my windshield but each to their own I guess :rolleyes:

OK aside from the mount :rolleyes: what would it be like in terms of quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

like this one:

Nice but very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Hi, I see a few others considering upgrades and I was thinking of doing the same with my mini 0801.

Does anyone know if the 0806 will fit into the mount of the earlier cameras such as the mini 0801.
    I would rather not remove the existing mount from the front, and instead migrate the 0801 to the rear window.

like this one:

Thats also known as the DOD LS430W (apparently)
    http://dashboardcamerareviews.com/dod-ls430w/

Techmoan has reviewed it, (perhaps there are differences beyond the name I can't say)
    http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/12/8/dod-ls430w-gps-dashcam-review.html

--
    should add, TechMoan does some of the best unbiased reviews out there so I regard his opinion highly.
    I would consider a newer camera perhaps, also I would get the best you can afford (within reason) as you will have it for years and they do provide great peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Hi, I see a few others considering upgrades and I was thinking of doing the same with my mini 0801.

Does anyone know if the 0806 will fit into the mount of the earlier cameras such as the mini 0801.
    I would rather not remove the existing mount from the front, and instead migrate the 0801 to the rear window.

Wouldn't be sure tbh but I have the same mount. Why not just remove it and reattach to your rear window with some 3M/unibond tape? The tape that's supplied is pretty crap anyway.

EazyD wrote: »
    Wouldn't be sure tbh but I have the same mount. Why not just remove it and reattach to your rear window with some 3M/unibond tape? The tape that's supplied is pretty crap anyway.

If it comes off cleanly I guess I would, but I just have memories of removing pritt pads from surfaces in the past and they are just the worst!! Maybe these pads are not such a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

If it comes off cleanly I guess I would, but I just have memories of removing pritt pads from surfaces in the past and they are just the worst!! Maybe these pads are not such a pain in the arse.

Just pull it, use craft knife to remove tape, replace with some fresh 3M and stick to the other window, clean glass with alco wipe before sticking to ensure it adheres.

The mounts should work but the GPS mount differs from the non-GPS mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Strange question but, does anyone here have a sticker on there car starting they have a dashcam?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Shane_ef wrote: »
    Strange question but, does anyone here have a sticker on there car starting they have a dashcam?

Does the law require that?
    What does the law say about taking videos on public streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

No it doesn't afaik... was just curious as i was thrawling through amazon and came across some stickers and wanted to know what boardsies thought

• Registered Users Posts: 13,568 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]
    What does the law say about taking videos on public streets?

Public streets are...

...public. :)

Just want to say thanks again.
    I have a mini-hdmi cable to connect the live dashcam footage to the TV.
    I could see that the certain reflections on the TV cabinet disappeared completely at the 4pm / 10pm mark, nowhere near the alignment marks on the filter lens.

On a separate note, my e-prance mini 0806 footage seems a little grainy.
    I see a constant noise pattern no matter where I point the dashcam.
    Not sure if it's dirt/condensation on the inside of the lens.

I may try the custom firmware on dashcamtalk, which has a higher bitrate for the videos = better quality at the expense of more disk space.

I just realised from some links that the lens will be focused to a certain distance.
    So lets say it's focused to 3 car lengths in front, that may explain why other registration plates further ahead are not in focus. I thought you could have set the focus to "infinite" to get everything in focus. But maybe I was wrong?

One link I stumbled across which definitely needs sharing is how to improve nighttime videos, not restricted to the mini 0806.

Short version : If you don't want to watch the youtube vid

Open your nighttime video with the free VLC Player.
    Then under the "Tools" menu item, go to "Effects and filters".
    Select the "Video effects" tab.
    Click on "Image adjust" checkbox.
    Set the "Gamma" slider to 25-30%
    Optionally set the "Sharpen" slider to around 5%.

Seriously improves the nighttime footage of at least some dashcams, allowing you to see more detail than the original settings show.

I got this very useful info from this Youtube vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Really interested in the Mini 0806 but unfortunately there is no stock in the European warehouse of the unmentionable supplier. Really don't want to risk getting caught for duty by customs if I buy from their China location. They do have the 0805 in stock in Europe for €61. Is the 0805 a big step down or am I better off waiting to see if I can get the 0806 at a reasonable price.

Thanks.

Tweaky wrote: »
    Really interested in the Mini 0806 but unfortunately there is no stock in the European warehouse of the unmentionable supplier. Really don't want to risk getting caught for duty by customs if I buy from their China location. They do have the 0805 in stock in Europe for €61. Is the 0805 a big step down or am I better off waiting to see if I can get the 0806 at a reasonable price.

Thanks.

I paid €105 for a Mini 0806 on Amazon. Shipped from the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I wouldn't buy a Chinese version of anything, buy from Amazon or eprance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I wouldn't buy a Chinese version of anything, buy from Amazon or eprance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Has anyone ever had their dashcam stolen from their car?

Do you have to dismount it every time you get out of the car? Isn't that a hassle?

Will they attract thieves?

Has anyone ever used this one?

http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/transcend-drivepro-200-dash-cam-black/332510/398.1.1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement