Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,548 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I modified mine - have a suction cup attached to it now, so whatever the car, can put it on without hassle. :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You can buy additional bases for about €10-€12 on Amazon,

a more expensive option, yet so much smoother when switching the camera between cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Finally invested in the Mio mivue 538d and have to say all the idiots I caught in 20 minute trip is hilarious, didn't know it recorded sound though so gonna have watch what I rock out to.

Don't know whether the speed trap thing works but if you don't mind spending money it's a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

JamboMac wrote: »
    Finally invested in the Mio mivue 538d and have to say all the idiots I caught in 20 minute trip is hilarious, didn't know it recorded sound though so gonna have watch what I rock out to.

I ot the transcend 220 drivepro, looks identical, you can turn off the sound recording on mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Groupon have one for €18.99
    I have a decent one already but was going to get another for the rear. For that price it seems too good to be true despite it saying it's HD e.t.c.

https://m.groupon.ie/deals/gg-groupon-goods-global-gmb-h-864-271-65493679/confirmation?inventory_product_id=cb80f696-79ec-c5dc-18ca-e48ff6f68ea0&pledge_id=-2081989968

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I wouldn't expect much from one at that price. Spend the money on a good known reliable one like those eprance 0801 - 0806 dash cams.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect much from one at that price. Spend the money on a good known reliable one like those eprance 0801 - 0806 dash cams.

I have an eprance already, was going to get one for the rear window but it just seems like too much hassle and pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Groupon have one for €18.99
    I have a decent one already but was going to get another for the rear. For that price it seems too good to be true despite it saying it's HD e.t.c.

https://m.groupon.ie/deals/gg-groupon-goods-global-gmb-h-864-271-65493679/confirmation?inventory_product_id=cb80f696-79ec-c5dc-18ca-e48ff6f68ea0&pledge_id=-2081989968

Got one of those to see if they are any use.... Its a case of you get what you pay for. Perhaps i need to use a better class of sd card to get crisper footage, also it doesnt seem to have a wide vision lens either.

But for €19 it would do for the back of a car

If anyone has a mini 0806 and are not entirely happy with the quality they are getting from it, theres an excellent custom firmware available for it. The difference in quality is night and day.

https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/threads/0806firmware-150323-dct-custom-bitrate-version.11232/

The mini 0806 website is also offering the same update

http://www.mini0806.com/update.html

Just ordered a mini 0806 from Joovoo!
    It's a very popular dashcam especially after the latest update which allows 24mb bitrate on 1080p.
    I'm sure andybobandy will back me up here!

• Advertisement

Just ordered a mini 0806 from Joovoo!
    It's a very popular dashcam especially after the latest update which allows 24mb bitrate on 1080p.
    I'm sure andybobandy will back me up here!

Yes, ever since I got that custom firmware installed on it, its a completely different camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Yes, ever since I got that custom firmware installed on it, its a completely different camera.

Where did you get that ?? Did you have any issues with it shutting down ??

Where did you get that ?? Did you have any issues with it shutting down ??

its at the links above,

the odd time it used to stop recording on a hot day (no warning/beep),

but since the new firmware, it's been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

the odd time it used to stop recording on a hot day (no warning/beep),

Dont know where youre getting hot days in this country :-)

Dont know where youre getting hot days in this country :-)

I meant to say sunny days!!, could still only be 12/14 but inside the car can get quite hot on a sunny day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I see Lidl are selling dashcams next Monday (July 13)

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=27358

What do you reckon? Worth the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

chewed wrote: »
    I see Lidl are selling dashcams next Monday (July 13)

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=27358

What do you reckon? Worth the price?
    Ohhhh very interested to hear what people have to say about this!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Doesn't seem to bad a price to be honest. I'd like to see the size of it before buying. The best thing about it would be the warranty with lidl tbh.

I bought this one for shots & giggles (actually bought it to have a suction mounted portable camera I could use when I rent cars in the U.K.), and I have to say it aint that bad. for the price I was expecting garbage, but I was actually surprised by the quality of it.

certainly not a great one, but for the price, a very cheap back up!!

Video below;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96006069&postcount=135

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

I bought this one for shots & giggles (actually bought it to have a suction mounted portable camera I could use when I rent cars in the U.K.), and I have to say it aint that bad. for the price I was expecting garbage, but I was actually surprised by the quality of it.

certainly not a great one, but for the price, a very cheap back up!!

Video below;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96006069&postcount=135

Very good quality for that price! What's it like during the night?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The quality looks great for the price tbh!

chewed wrote: »
    Very good quality for that price! What's it like during the night?

Haven't actually used it at night yet!! Haven't really had the chance to use it at all other than the little test I did up and down to tesco that day!

I might be over to the U.K. next week, and will hopefully get a proper test of it, but for something like €17 all in (free shipping from Amazon), you can't really lose!!
    It's just something I can throw in the laptop bag and take with me, and if it ever gets broken? meh! €17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

I'd avoid this one anyway, if getting an E-Prance, at a minimum, get an E-Prance mini 0801, compact, reliable, cheap and excellent quality.
    0803, 0805, 0806 if you want to spend a little more for the updated models.

The mobius is quite popular too, but it doesn't have a playback screen like the mini series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Wow, a 91% reduction in price from £399 to £37, surely a no brainer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Put one in my Amazon basket but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. The discount caught my attention but still don't know if it's suitable for me. Seems quite big for a winscreen???

Should I hold off for something smaller.... Is it really worth 300 quid????

I have that one, quality is good. I do get some interference on my radio though, tried it in another car and it was fine.
    I use a class 10 32g card with it aswell.
    Sometimes when i go back and look at footage there can be some missing when it loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Are there any car manufactures that have built in dash cams as an optional extra?
    There are lots of cars with cameras all over them.. but are they recording and stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

PeteK* wrote: »
    Are there any car manufactures that have built in dash cams as an optional extra?
    There are lots of cars with cameras all over them.. but are they recording and stuff?

I don't believe their is any recording facility yet, I wonder is their a way to connect a hard-drive some way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement