Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

I tried some fierce complicated application (VSDC I think) first of all, but gave up after a day and have been very happy with Movie Maker since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

some footage from the 0806, highest resolution. I am in the process of cleaning up wires, can put the +Ve and Ground wires from the cig lighter under the cover of the mirror arm. Not much room behind the mirror as there is a rain sensor also, might need to leave this unit within sight. If its hidden from view i have problems accessing the memory slot/usb power.

Youtube has reduced the quality of this, by a good amount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm5GLL1PKW0&feature=youtu.be

uncompressed footage here if anyone has fast internet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40ozlv8bdmv3z7c/AMBA0067.MOV?dl=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hachiko wrote: »

uncompressed footage here if anyone has fast internet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40ozlv8bdmv3z7c/AMBA0067.MOV?dl=0

Watched the footage directly from Dropbox, but the quality was terrible. The data bottom-right was nearly unreadable. Is it dropbox or my connection?
    Much much better on youtube.

dont know whats up with the videos, the file from the micro sd card is fine, here is a screen shot from the km player

20150301_212354.jpg

20150301_212516.jpg

tucked in behind the mirror, only unsightly bit is the cig lighter/buck converter. In normal usage you dont see anything so its fine by me, will just sit in the background, hopefully unused.

20150303_222215.jpg

20150303_222209.jpg

20150303_181301.jpg

20150303_181235.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The same place I mounted mine. It is barely noticeable but I did have to put some black tape over the blue power on led. It wouldn't be spotted easily from the outside unless you were right up to the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

does anyone use a dash cam for the rear window (which wouldn't be a "dash" cam then I suppose).
    ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

celica00 wrote: »
    does anyone use a dash cam for the rear window (which wouldn't be a "dash" cam then I suppose).
    ?

not yet, but when I can buy an 0806, I'll put the 0801 on the rear window so I'll then have front/rear facing cameras.

I see as much crap going on behind me as well as in front of me.

some news about this

We are considering not stocking the 0806 at the moment due to some issues and instead will be switching to a more reliable camera. Regarding the parking guard mount features these have not been confirmed to us so we do not want to give any false information out. The forward collision warning is activated by assessing oncoming traffic etc. We have luckily never had to use this.

Any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

I contacted them about a replacement and they said

You are indeed, we will be stocking a much better camera shortly that we can replace for you? It will be the Koonlung C75.

Any more questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

JooVuu

I have not noticed anything wrong, but annoyingly I looked at footage just a while ago as i passed out a nasty accident this am going to work and saw all the clips came in at 20 seconds or something. It might have been to the power lead, I think it needs re solder, the power could have been lost on the device.

You are indeed, we will be stocking a much better camera shortly that we can replace for you? It will be the Koonlung C75.

This one has no built-in GPS receiver. The C81 does have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

not yet, but when I can buy an 0806, I'll put the 0801 on the rear window so I'll then have front/rear facing cameras.

I see as much crap going on behind me as well as in front of me.

Thats exactly my thought!
    And the amount of ppl that are up your ... rear bumper sometimes is just to high!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

some news about this

We are considering not stocking the 0806 at the moment due to some issues

Goddammit, I was just about to buy one of these. I was hoping they sorted out the design issues, and maybe they did its just poor manufacturing and/or quality control this time. Whatever, its crossed off my list until I hear they have sorted it out.

I looked on youtube for footage from the Koonlung C75 and found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDPX3qzH944 some dude taking video out the window of his block of flats. I would not have mentioned it except every single window in the picture up to 10 or more storeys has iron bars on them!! ... they must have flipping spider man doing burglaries around there...

BigEejit wrote: »
    I was just about to buy one of these.

Where were you going to buy it?

All you can buy on amazon (that deliver to Ireland) is the 0801 & 0803

Even though it's the same seller (E-Prance) they won't ship the 0805 to Ireland!!

Where were you going to buy it?

I was going to get it from aliexpress, there is always a delay getting stuff from China, expect it to arrive in a month:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/mini-0806.html?SearchText=mini+0806&ltype=wholesale&d=y&origin=y&initiative_id=SB_20150305025649&catId=0&isViewCP=y

$120 -> about 79 pounds stg, 108 euros

actually, you can see the knockoffs are starting already on that website, some of the ones being offered have a silver surround on the screen....

BigEejit wrote: »

Have you ever purchased from Aliexpress?
    I did twice, but never received the stuff and got my money back after 45 days...

Have you ever purchased from Aliexpress?
    I did twice, but never received the stuff and got my money back after 45 days...

Thats what I was thinking,
    I like to limit my online purchasing (especially from afar) to either Amazon/ebay, or else someone (locally) thats very reputable.

Looked at that Aliexpress and it wouldn't be somewhere I'd be rushing to spend my money!

I have bought several bits from Aliexpress, spend a few hundred quid on stuff from there. Sometimes it takes time to get here but so far the 5 or 6 items I bought have made it. On one occasion a LCD power supply was different from the website and they just sent another one ... of course this meant another 3 week wait.... :(

I dont think you cash is at risk, I've not had to use it but there is Aliexpress's buyer protection for a full refund if you dont receive your item.

And while Aliexpress is relatively unknown here, it is a subdivision of Alibaba which is the largest online retail presence in the world.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/walterloeb/2014/04/11/10-reasons-why-alibaba-is-a-worldwide-leader-in-e-commerce/
    1. Sales for 2014 are estimated at $420 Billion. In 2012 sales were $170 Billion. This dwarfs Amazon, its closest competitor, with reported sales of $74.4 Billion for fiscal 2013 while EBay reported sales for fiscal 2013 of $16 Billion, less than one-tenth Alibaba’s 2012 sales.
    The customer base is gigantic. There are 1.4 Billion people in China. In the United States there are 327 Million. (For the record, the United States is the third largest country; India is second with a population of 1.2 Billion.
    Alibaba claims to have 300 Million customers. They employ over 25,000 workers to service the clientele.
    China’s “Singles Day” promotion is annually on November 11th. This is the biggest on-line shopping day in China. In 2013 Alibaba recorded sales of $5.6 Billion on that single day. By comparison, in the United States, 2013 on-line sales on Cyber Monday were about $1.7 Billion
    There are several major divisions including “Taobao” which allows private persons and small businesses to sell merchandise to customers. Unlike EBay which has sellers pay a commission to EBay, Taobao sellers have to pay for the advertised promotion.

I've just ordered an 0806 from gearbest.com €111.25, so we'll see how it goes,

site looks decent enough and has plenty of positive reviews

Ive not had any problems with mine, I am thinking of getting a minature cig lighter and putting it behind the upper roof trim.

then I will have no trailing wires at all, the only thing is the lighter I have is rated @ 1A, the 0806 has a 2A output.

EDIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-2A-Car-Charger-12V-DC-to-5V-Adapter-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-/161227033850

this is what i need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Wow, the price of the 080X has shot up. It used to be about €60 odd for the best one. It would be fine if it was a quality product but there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on that aspect. I have a 0801 and 2 0803's, they work but I don't fully trust them, a warning beep happens every so often with no real pattern, a message pops up on the screen but stays for only half a second and I've never had a chance to read it properly, I think it says something about the card, and some times it seems like it's not recording, or flashing the red record icon on screen, but then when you look again, it is. :(

cormie wrote: »
    Wow, the price of the 080X has shot up. It used to be about €60 odd for the best one. It would be fine if it was a quality product but there seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on that aspect. I have a 0801 and 2 0803's, they work but I don't fully trust them, a warning beep happens every so often with no real pattern, a message pops up on the screen but stays for only half a second and I've never had a chance to read it properly, I think it says something about the card, and some times it seems like it's not recording, or flashing the red record icon on screen, but then when you look again, it is. :(

I've an 0801 and it hasn't put a foot wrong at all for me, only cost me about €50, I would have been happy to get an 0803 or 0805, but for the few extra quid, decided to go for the 0806,
    It will replace the 0801 in the front, which will itself go to the rear window to give me front/back views.

From what I've seen in reviews/YouTube videos, the 0806 is a top bit if kit, and for me, it seems worth the price.

well the quality in hi res is exceptional...

On that site it is priced in dollars, so I presume they're in USA.
    Have you considered the customs and VAT when it arrives in your country?
    How much for shipping?
    Chances are it will be much dearer than 111 euro.

Ive not had any problems with mine, I am thinking of getting a minature cig lighter and putting it behind the upper roof trim.

then I will have no trailing wires at all, the only thing is the lighter I have is rated @ 1A, the 0806 has a 2A output.

EDIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-2A-Car-Charger-12V-DC-to-5V-Adapter-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-/161227033850

this is what i need.

That cigarette lighter adapter is a plug to be inserted into a lighter socket that will have a regular cylindric shape and size. Where is the advantage of a "slim" plug if what is around it is big as usual?

How much for shipping?

Site is U.S. based, item will ship from China,
    I had a look around, and quite a few boards have bought from them before and didn't get caught with the import charges/VAT. Believe me, I have thought about it. once bitten, twice shy...

I opted for the free postage (7-25 days)

Site is U.S. based, item will ship from China,
    I had a look around, and quite a few boards have bought from them before and didn't get caught with the import charges/VAT. Believe me, I have thought about it. once bitten, twice shy...

Lucky them!
    The times I ordered from US or China I got caught by the customs and payed lots of money in taxes and VAT.
    The times I went through the customs clear were when the items' value was lower than a certain amount, about USD 30, P&P included.

That cigarette lighter adapter is a plug to be inserted into a lighter socket that will have a regular cylindric shape and size. Where is the advantage of a "slim" plug if what is around it is big as usual?

that is small, i am sure i can put that into my roof lining, thus no trailing wires. I can feed 12v from my mirror into it along the mirror arm.

How much for shipping?

why not get from the uk?

• Advertisement

why not get from the uk?

I couldn't find any U.K. sellers, and the ad for Gearbest.com came up on a page I was viewing on Amazon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement