Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

You need to be carful on what type of USB charger you pick.

Dash cams need more amps than phones.

My one has a 1.5 amp 5v supply. Most usb chargers are around 1 amp.

There is no interference on most FM channels, I listen to FM104 and that's where all the interference comes, sometimes its fine though which is a bit strange

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

I got the 0805 today, wasn't exoecting it to arrive until mid January but came in 7 days from China! First impressions are very good. Very compact nice design, good window mount. Fairly easy set up menu. Need a longer usb cable and adapter to run it to where I want, but it's set up for the moment. I'll post a day and night comparison tomorrow when I'm home. On the Laguna it actually gets power and turns on to record once the door is unlocked then continues for 1 min after locking until the auto off feature kicks in.

One thing I didn't see in the manual, is there any special viewing software needed to view the video files with the embedded gps info? Or can any movie player view them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

If you access the cam in windows explorer there is a directory in there that has an application to view files on the cam or card.

I can't remember which folder exactly but looks like this.

$_57.JPG

Do you need to plug the camera into laptop directly to access it? Was hoping I could just take the memory card out, don't like putting extra strain on the mount by sliding it off all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ah you can do it that way alright. I just use vlc player, but the software on the cam plots the gps info.

• Advertisement

I'll have a play around when I'm home tomorrow and make sure the mounting point is where it needs to be etc.

Can anyone recommend a usb charger to charge it with, need a longer usb cable that the one that is attached to the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I take my 0803 off regularly and the mount is a s solid as day one.
    Really good sticky on those.

I ran the cable down the A pillar on the drivers side of my car and fitted a spare cig. lighter socket powered via ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I think i have the interference sorted, if i start my car first then connect the power cable it seems to help.
    Another problem i noticed is missing video.
    Driving yesterday and something happened so i just checked there on my laptop and it's not there, it happened just as the video looped onto the next segment but there's a good 6 or 7 seconds missing :confused:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have an SJ4000 at home, which isn't being used. It has Dashcam capability (on with power, and looped recording). So I'm going to try and set it up as a cheap dashcam. I've ordered a 5M usb cable for it, but how do you guys route your cabling to your cams? I want it to be as neat as possible. So looking at maybe skirting the cable along the A pillar and up to behind the rear view.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have an SJ4000 at home, which isn't being used. It has Dashcam capability (on with power, and looped recording). So I'm going to try and set it up as a cheap dashcam. I've ordered a 5M usb cable for it, but how do you guys route your cabling to your cams? I want it to be as neat as possible. So looking at maybe skirting the cable along the A pillar and up to behind the rear view.

Always behind the A Pillar and up behind rearview. Its the only neatest possible solution. Would be good to get a fused relay also so it triggers at ignition.

• Advertisement

Up behind the A pillar panel and across tucked under roof cloth.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

listermint wrote: »
    Always behind the A Pillar and up behind rearview. Its the only neatest possible solution. Would be good to get a fused relay also so it triggers at ignition.

I was looking at fused relays etc, but not sure I'm confident enough to do all that myself. There is an unused USB port in my headunit, half contemplating plugging it in there, and routing the cable behind the trim in the dash (im pretty certain there is ample room...) over to the passenger A pillar and then up to the mirror. Also have to make sure that the USB port of the headunit doesn't provide power when the headunit is off....

Am i mad? And is fitting a fused relay quite simple?

I was looking at fused relays etc, but not sure I'm confident enough to do all that myself. There is an unused USB port in my headunit, half contemplating plugging it in there, and routing the cable behind the trim in the dash (im pretty certain there is ample room...) over to the passenger A pillar and then up to the mirror. Also have to make sure that the USB port of the headunit doesn't provide power when the headunit is off....

Am i mad? And is fitting a fused relay quite simple?

Am I correct in saying there is a fuse panel behind your glove compartment?

If sao,
    What i did in my car. ( Fuses on drivers side but makes no odds.)
    I got a piggyback fuse and a spare cig lighter.
    Found a spare fuse socket that powers with ignition.
    Plugged my fuse in there and wired the spare cig lighter to it.
    Plugged in the lighter plug from the dash cam and ran the lead up.
    Job done.

If you can join wires you can do this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

vectra wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying there is a fuse panel behind your glove compartment?

If sao,
    What i did in my car. ( Fuses on drivers side but makes no odds.)
    I got a piggyback fuse and a spare cig lighter.
    Found a spare fuse socket that powers with ignition.
    Plugged my fuse in there and wired the spare cig lighter to it.
    Plugged in the lighter plug from the dash cam and ran the lead up.
    Job done.

If you can join wires you can do this. :)

This all day. Piggy back fuse connector on eBay for a few quid.

Well I have all my mounting bits for the camera; which looks fairly small/discreet. Have ordered a 5M micro USB cable to power it.

It is possible to route from my headunit under the trim on the dash up the A pillar. I think I'll do this first as it's easier for now, and will get a relay and see if I can get that working in the future.

Cheers fellas!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,571 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I don't think relay is really necessary to wire dashcam up. Refer to cams manual what current it takes.

My dashcam is permanently connected to additional cig lighter socket, so it powers up when key is turned. All works fine. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    I don't think relay is really necessary to wire dashcam up. Refer to cams manual what current it takes.

My dashcam is permanently connected to additional cig lighter socket, so it powers up when key is turned. All works fine. :)

Problem with that though, is that it's a bit messy, cant stand having wires coming from the centre console...my solution is just neat enough, although i will order the relay from ebay I reckon!

Unregistered Users

[...] cant stand having wires coming from the centre console...[...]

Neither can I. Additional sockets are hidden behind centre console. One's for dashcam, another for satnav. :)

Both devices used daily, so no need to unplug them, although it's possible without a hassle.

Neither can I. Additional sockets are hidden behind centre console. One's for dashcam, another for satnav. :)

Both devices used daily, so no need to unplug them, although it's possible without a hassle.

Next question is...how did you wire/mount them hidden behind it? Could be an option, although i suspect the relay would be easier....provided I can find a free fuse with the right spec....

Unregistered Users

Used insulated terminals, so no short would happen. One of them is mounted on screws on the inside of this:

334109.png at the edge, so can be unplugged if necessary.

Another one just lies on the carpet inside that aforementioned thing (socket taped over just in case). And there's enough room to reach it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Used insulated terminals, so no short would happen. One of them is mounted on screws on the inside of this:

334109.png at the edge, so can be unplugged if necessary.

Another one just lies on the carpet inside that aforementioned thing (socket taped over just in case). And there's enough room to reach it. :)

Do you do all that yourself?
    Would you do it for people, too?
    (and get paid)

Unregistered Users

PeteK* wrote: »
    Do you do all that yourself?
    Yes.
    PeteK* wrote: »
    Would you do it for people, too?
    (and get paid)
    The problem is, I've not much time, nor appropriate facility to do so. A yard, full of rain and wind, is not the best place. Knowledge is a factor as well. Don't know much about other cars than mine, so wouldn't take a risk. :(

Next question is...how did you wire/mount them hidden behind it? Could be an option, although i suspect the relay would be easier....provided I can find a free fuse with the right spec....

I don't understand about the relay?

I still think that a Piggy Back Fuseholder
    In your fuse panel to a point which powers with Key on/off

Wired to a
    Lighter socket behind the fuse panel is the right job.

Cable tie the socket somewhere behind the panel and run the cam wire down the A Pillar.
    20 minute job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Well I have all my mounting bits for the camera; which looks fairly small/discreet. Have ordered a 5M micro USB cable to power it.

It is possible to route from my headunit under the trim on the dash up the A pillar. I think I'll do this first as it's easier for now, and will get a relay and see if I can get that working in the future.

Cheers fellas!

You got an E46 year?
    Remember your car stays live for 16 mins after locking it. So if you have it wired to certain points it will still record after you leave.

I had mine running down to the glove box where I had a BMW torch to ciggy lighter adaptor. They pop up for sale in eBay US every now and again.

If you want someone to hard wire it, I suggest getting it done by someone that knows what they are doing. One of my previous dash cams burned out after hardwiring it myself to my old E36.

Unregistered Users

[...] One of them is mounted [...] (blah, blah, blah)

One picture says more than thousand words.

334367.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Does anyone have any experience of running a usb power cable from the rear view mirror down behind the dash/console in a 3 series BMW (e90) via the A frame?

is it an awkward job?

I would like to permanently wire it in, but keep the wires as hidden as possible

What amp/voltage usb charger would be needed for a dashcam? I'm ordering a usb cable to wire it down the a pillar and hopefully under the centre console into the armrest where there is a 12v lighter socket. But can't find what kind of usb charger I'd need.

Unregistered Users

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    What amp/voltage usb charger would be needed for a dashcam? [...]

Depends on manufacturer's specs. If I was you, I'd refer to manual. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I see the Mini 0806 is coming soon and has a parking mode.

What's everyone doing for their cameras with the parking mode feature? Do you keep it on constant at the risk of draining the battery if you don't use the vehicle for a week or so or what's the workaround folk in the know are using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

cormie wrote: »
    I see the Mini 0806 is coming soon and has a parking mode.
    Any idea when this will be available?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement