Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

joujoujou wrote: »
    Depends on manufacturer's specs. If I was you, I'd refer to manual. :)

It has a 5v attachment for the lighter socket. So what amp would be needed to keep the battery charged and the cam running? I think standard iPhone ones are 1/1.4? So would a 2.1 amp one be best?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

joujoujou wrote: »
    I don't think relay is really necessary to wire dashcam up. Refer to cams manual what current it takes.

My dashcam is permanently connected to additional cig lighter socket, so it powers up when key is turned. All works fine. :)
    vectra wrote: »
    Up behind the A pillar panel and across tucked under roof cloth.

That's what my mechanic done for me. I had that 4-piece unit for cigarette lighter (won't ever be used in any of my cars!) and only unit available now though.

So easy to install; and same as ^^^ camera automatically starts when engine is on. Even has this 'emergency' setting - in event of a sudden impact and engine cuts out it will record. Mad altogether!
    It's neat also as wires were hidden as mentioned ^^^ so real happy with mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

What would be the best memory card to get for one?

Do they save in bulks like save every half an hour etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Daaryl wrote: »
    What would be the best memory card to get for one?

Do they save in bulks like save every half an hour etc?

I use a 32gig sandisk class 10 micro card but a class 6 is recommended

They save in segments of 1 ~ 3 or 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ok... Firstly apologies for not reading through the thread completely...
    I am looking for a dashcam that has also got motion detect sensors.

any suggestions.... and thanks....

are these any good...;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HSQIMK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8Z3LZB1LH45B

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution-G-sensor/dp/B00F2GMWCG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ok... Firstly apologies for not reading through the thread completely...
    I am looking for a dashcam that has also got motion detect sensors.

any suggestions.... and thanks....

are these any good...;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009HSQIMK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A8Z3LZB1LH45B

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Ambarella-Recorder-Resolution-G-sensor/dp/B00F2GMWCG

I got an E-Prance 0801 about 2 weeks ago and it's awesome, cost me £42.99 on Amazon,
    I have a Samsung 32GB (series 6) card in it, which will give me a total of 5 hours recording time before it starts re-writing over the oldest files.

If your looking for a cheap, but very good dash cam, go for the 0801, for a few more €€'s you can get an 0803/0805, which are upgraded versions of the 0801, but for me, the 0801 does all I need it to do. It's also very discreet, hiding nicely behind the mirror. Looking t reviews, the 0803 has a slightly better picture at night, but that's not to say the 0801 is poor at night time.

Techmoan does a great review on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8

regarding the morion sensor, I don't use it, as I believe you would need the camera powered on at all times for this, and I don't want to run the risk of draining my car battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I was checking out some videos made by mini 0806 and they have really good night time picture .... There are going to be in stock with joovuu soon.

To hardwire them or ones like them you could use this:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Hard-Wire-Kit-for-Mini-0803-0805-0806-Camera-Dashcam-micro-USB-/351074131747?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item51bda61f23
    Check that power usage of your dashcam is ok with it of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭josip

I got a Mobius because there were a lot of reviews of other budget cameras that said they worked for a month or 2 and then stopped working.
    It has a visual motion detect that works quite well.
    The mobius has an internal battery that lasts about an hour (for me)
    Which means that I can stick it on top of a bike/ski helmet and turn it into a poor man's GoPro.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

I need a 6 metre micro USB cable to wire my dashcam properly. Having trouble finding one, even on the Chinese sites. Any one gotten any links or sellers they have used?

Turtle-TM wrote: »
    I need a 6 metre micro USB cable to wire my dashcam properly. Having trouble finding one, even on the Chinese sites. Any one gotten any links or sellers they have used?

This is why you're having trouble finding one.
    USB 2.0 provides for a maximum cable length of 5 meters for devices running at Hi Speed (480 Mbit/s). The primary reason for this limit is the maximum allowed round-trip delay of about 1.5 μs. If USB host commands are unanswered by the USB device within the allowed time, the host considers the command lost. When adding USB device response time, delays from the maximum number of hubs added to the delays from connecting cables, the maximum acceptable delay per cable amounts to 26 ns.[79] The USB 2.0 specification requires that cable delay be less than 5.2 ns per meter (192 000 km/s, which is close to the maximum achievable transmission speed for standard copper wire).
    The USB 3.0 standard does not directly specify a maximum cable length, requiring only that all cables meet an electrical specification: for copper cabling with AWG 26 wires the maximum practical length is 3 meters (9.8 ft)

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    This is why you're having trouble finding one.

Surely if your using it for power supply only, the length would be irrelevant, and he could simply buy some extension adaptors and connect 2 cables together?

Surely if your using it for power supply only, the length would be irrelevant, and he could simply buy some extension adaptors and connect 2 cables together?

The power conductors in a USB cable are 20 to 28 AWG typically. For a 3 meter cable that is a .2 ohms to 1.3 ohms per leg.
    The max current of USB is .5 Amps. So that is .2 V to 1.3 V drop (including the drop on power and ground leads)
    Longer cables will have a bigger voltage drop and the remaining voltage may not be enough to power the cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The max current of USB is .5 Amps. So that is .2 V to 1.3 V drop (including the drop on power and ground leads)

It would be even worse when the current exceeds the rated USB current, as some devices like dash cams, smartphones, tablets, etc.
    My smartphone charges at 750 mA, and it can only be charged with the supplied USB cable (and charger) which is 50 cm long and has bigger wires. When I use standard USB cables it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Has anyone experience of any camera glasses? I was thinking they could be handy for a few projects I'm thinking about, these seem to be a popular choice: http://shop.pivothead.com/?_ga=1.234712919.896181594.1420976113

but at $200 they are pricey enough. Would be interested in any HD or above quality ones that can record for maybe 30 or so minutes on a charge. If anyone has any recommendations, please share :) Oh Also, ones with removable lenses, or clear lenses.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Hi,

Have a Blackvue mounted behind the rear view mirror. Great stuff.
    But was going to get a non-gps 801 to point out the rear view.

what about a live connection out the back. Octavia so a large window to play with.
    Probably mount up top of window.

The connection would best be inside the rear hatch door - instead of the boot etc
    any ideas - live for the rear wiper ??

K

Here is an interesting link for the new Mini 806. No hint about release date or else.

http://www.mini0806.com/

Does anybody know more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Its already available have a look on amazon.

Its already available have a look on amazon.

Probably I'm a bit daft, but I can't find it :confused:

Probably I'm a bit daft, but I can't find it 

Its not available at the minute i bought one the other day.
    Keep checking everyday it seems to be that they sell out fairly quick.

Check ebay aswell i seen on on that last week.

• Advertisement

Only the last one of those is the 0806.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Only the last one of those is the 0806.

Is it a cheap knock off or is it the real thing.

I went looking and found the few I posted above just wondering are any of them any good.

Is it a cheap knock off or is it the real thing.

I went looking and found the few I posted above just wondering are any of them any good.

I have an 0801 and as the cheaper if the E-Prance offerings, I can still say it's a very good camera,

I've posted a few videos in the dash cam saves your ass thread if you want to have a look at some examples of the quality the 0801 gives.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524172&page=491

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

I have an 0801 and as the cheaper if the E-Prance offerings, I can still say it's a very good camera,

I've posted a few videos in the dash cam saves your ass thread if you want to have a look at some examples of the quality the 0801 gives.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524172&page=491

I have the 0801 mounted in my car. Daytime is very very good. Nighttime is very poor. Cheap as chips and worth a purchase for that reason.

In my experience, several of those Mini 080x on sale are fake. Some are so cheap that they undoubtedly Chinese copies, probably with lesser performance.
    I bought mine on ebay, it works very fine and it's the original Mini 0801.

In my experience, several of those Mini 080x on sale are fake. Some are so cheap that they undoubtedly Chinese copies, probably with lesser performance.
    I bought mine on ebay, it works very fine and it's the original Mini 0801.

if bought from Amazon Prime, it will be the real deal, if still unhappy with it, Amazon will take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

There is a mini 0805 with motion detection as I would like to have that option it is on amazon and prime is ticked beside it would this be a good 1.

I found one been sold by gearbest but it is defo a knock off sh1t heap.
    Bought a dvr cctv off them before and recorded for 1min 20 sec and that was it and that was with a 32gb card.

I want one that is decent should hopefuly last as i have been unlucky with all previous cameras packing up after a few days to a year.

There is a mini 0805 with motion detection as I would like to have that option it is on amazon and prime is ticked beside it would this be a good 1.

I found one been sold by gearbest but it is defo a knock off sh1t heap.
    Bought a dvr cctv off them before and recorded for 1min 20 sec and that was it and that was with a 32gb card.

I want one that is decent should hopefuly last as i have been unlucky with all previous cameras packing up after a few days to a year.

I was also considering getting an EPrance (0803) last year but it seemed to me to be a lottery with quality based on the reviews. If it worked it was great, but for a lot of people it just stopped working.

Eg, Out of 177 reviews, 24 gave it only 1, whereas only 5 reviewers gave it 2. This usually indicates an unreliable product when the 1 votes significantly outnumber the 2 votes.

The mobius on the other hand doesn't sell as well, but out of 56 reviews, 2 gave it 2, and 2 gave it 1.

I was also considering getting an EPrance (0803) last year but it seemed to me to be a lottery with quality based on the reviews. If it worked it was great, but for a lot of people it just stopped working.

Eg, Out of 177 reviews, 24 gave it only 1, whereas only 5 reviewers gave it 2. This usually indicates an unreliable product when the 1 votes significantly outnumber the 2 votes.

The mobius on the other hand doesn't sell as well, but out of 56 reviews, 2 gave it 2, and 2 gave it 1.

The 0805 is an update of the 0803, and I believe they corrected the issues with it.

• Advertisement

As I wrote above, several websites sell fake Mini 080x and in my experience Amazon was one of them. That's why there so many negative feedbacks.
    As far as I know, of those who bought the genuine models, almost nobody had complaints.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement