Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

whiterebel wrote: »
    ordered this: Toguard dashcam 20% off that as well. Can't be bad for that money? No WiFi, but I really doubt I'd need it.

Had a quick look, quality looks fine. Tiny rear camera, very small, compact front. Apparently, you can claim a hardwire kit by leaving a review on Amazon and letting them know. I’ll try and get around to fitting it this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Techmoan reviewed that about a year ago here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXiXz6QXQ4

Cheers. Sounds good but there's probably better as it seems to cheap. I this buy to be a little big term one so would like really good quality.

From reading around a bit I'm thinking of ordering this, anyone any experience with it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077NR1TJP/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Patww79 wrote: »
    From reading around a bit I'm thinking of ordering this, anyone any experience with it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077NR1TJP/

Just took a quick look but 250 pounds!

I got this one a few months back on a lighting deal looks identical, but I did not check all the details.

Search: B07DVGJMRT

ForestFire wrote: »
    Just took a quick look but 250 pounds!

I got this one a few months back on a lighting deal looks identical, but I did not check all the details.

Search: B07DVGJMRT

Yeah it's expensive but apparently you can get a reg from the rear camera in low light. I like that discreet edge style of it and the one you mentioned (and the Aukey one I linked earlier) too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Patww79 wrote: »
    Yeah it's expensive but apparently you can get a reg from the rear camera in low light. I like that discreet edge style of it and the one you mentioned (and the Aukey one I linked earlier) too.

It can be very difficult to read reg plates on any dashcam if the vehicle is moving particularly in low light as any light reflecting of the reflective reg plate tends to overexpose it.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

whiterebel wrote: »
    Had a quick look, quality looks fine. Tiny rear camera, very small, compact front. Apparently, you can claim a hardwire kit by leaving a review on Amazon and letting them know. I’ll try and get around to fitting it this week.

Very good. Let us know how you get on.

Mine should be arriving this week :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Really like the quality on my Yi.

But changed car last week and this one has one of those bulky things behind the rear view mirror that makes the dashcam end up almost halfway down your windscreen.

Plus\Or, i need someone to hardwire it for me because if i have a go myself, i might end up with a cabriolet. it is not that i am clumsy, i am just not patient enough and dont have the right tools.

So.... basically on the look for something with at least the same quality as the Yi and someone to chuck it in for me.

Couldn't justify the price of the Street Guardian after much deliberation (ie. trying to convince the Mrs) so I purchased a Viofo A129.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

gman127 wrote: »
    Very good. Let us know how you get on.

Mine should be arriving this week :)

Toguard is not too bad. You won’t tell much from the rear camera, I don’t think. The front would seem to be similar to the Mio Dashcam I had, but I can’t transfer it to computer yet to have a look. Rear bracket is a bit flimsy, but everything else seems solid. They do seem to include everything that you would need to fit it. I had the whole thing fitted in about 30 minutes without hooking up to the reversing light (I couldn’t get at the bulb😟)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Hi all,
    The missis got me a Nextbase 512GW the car I have makes it awkward to just use a cig lighter and there is no way I would have cables dropping down from the wind screen.

I was told it can be hard wired and the cables hidden the thing is I don't want to void the warranty on the car only have it since November, Any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi all,
    The missis got me a Nextbase 512GW the car I have makes it awkward to just use a cig lighter and there is no way I would have cables dropping down from the wind screen.

I was told it can be hard wired and the cables hidden the thing is I don't want to void the warranty on the car only have it since November, Any ideas ?

Push the cables in behind the trim.

Get a piggy back fuse holder, extender and pop another cig lighter fitting at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hi all,

Halfords will fit it for you for 35 euros.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Hi all,

Push the cables in behind the trim.

Get a piggy back fuse holder, extender and pop another cig lighter fitting at the end.
    Piggy back ,is that a joiner, connector?

So it's a fuse, holder and piggy backs on the holder of another fuse where you get the live from.
    Up to you whether you use a permanent live or one that's live when the car is on.

You then connect the black to a metal part of the car body.

Well pleased so far with that Viofo, the difference in video quality from it compared to the 512 is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tr_18

Can anyone recommend a small discreet front dash cam? Something the size of a rear facing dash cam with the screen and control module stashed in the glovebox/dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

So it's a fuse, holder and piggy backs on the holder of another fuse where you get the live from.
    Up to you whether you use a permanent live or one that's live when the car is on.

You then connect the black to a metal part of the car body.

Where's a handy place to buy fuse taps something like the below link:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Mini-Blade-Fuse-Circuit-Piggy-Back-Fuse-Tap-Holder-ATM-ATP-12V/223128878411?hash=item33f3847d4b:g:2sUAAOSwHXtbjPpm:rk:2:pf:0

I bought a 3 wire hardwire kit for my Viofo A129 but annoyingly it didn't have any fuse tap connectors so I called into a motor factors last night but they hadn't ever heard of a fuse tap. Explaining its purpose and that I was trying to add another connection to an existing fuse didn't help and they were none the wiser as to what I was looking for so I left it at that.

I generally avoid Halfords at all costs due to being ripped off on small incidentals but even a search of their website only shows the below which is not what's required:
    https://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/fuses-electricals-fixings/halfords-piggyback-connectors-15-amp-semi-insulated-hef383
    What do they use themselves when hardwiring to fuse boxes and are they available in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Passing Parts for Cars in Coolmine today so called in to see if they had fuse taps, no but they had fuses with an extension wire which could be handy except they were €8 a piece. Like everything else it's online with anything out of the ordinary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzyB

Hello,

I have my Honda insight for sale. This is the UK spec car which means a factory radio which picks up all the usual Irish radio stations and all the cars menus are in English. I average 5.6l/100km (50mpg) in mixed driving. Insurance and tax are very cheap. NCT'd until 2020. Taxed until 05/19 (€190 a year).

I bought this car in October 2017 and it has not given me a days trouble. I am a keen car enthusiast and in that time I have done the following maintenance, either through myself, a main dealer or a local independent mechanic.

Replaced:

Front brake discs
    Brake pads all around
    Oil and filter
    4 high end Pirelli tyres (around 90%)
    CVT gearbox fluid changed twice
    Cabin filter for air conditioning

All software updates have been carried out in relation to the hybrid system and the gearbox by Johnson and Perrot a main Honda dealership.

The car has the following spec:

CVT automatic gearbox with paddle shift option
    Automatic lights
    Automatic wipers
    Heated seats
    Air conditioning
    Eco mode
    Aux input
    iPod connectivity
    USB socket
    Height adjustable driving seats
    Height and reach adjustable steering wheel
    Split fold rear seats
    False floor boot
    Alloys
    All weather official mats
    Auto Start Stop

Bad points:
    Couple of light scratches
    Paint peeling slightly on 2 alloys

I am selling up because I fancy a change and have a vastly shorter commute now than when I orginally bought this car.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-insight-hybrid-uk-spec-price-drop/20840331

Thanks for looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bit of a bizarre situation, I just hardwired my dash cam into the accessories fuse on my 3 series with a fuse tap and voltage converter, it works perfectly until I turn any sort of climate control on, then the dash cam dies. Can it not draw enough power from the fuse tap with the AC on? I'm at a loss what to do now.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Bit of a bizarre situation, I just hardwired my dash cam into the accessories fuse on my 3 series with a fuse tap and voltage converter, it works perfectly until I turn any sort of climate control on, then the dash cam dies. Can it not draw enough power from the fuse tap with the AC on? I'm at a loss what to do now.

Could you tap off the cig lighter one?

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

What year 3 series is it? Is it an f30?

Could you tap off the cig lighter one?

That's the fuse I'm using.
    1jcdub wrote: »
    What year 3 series is it? Is it an f30?

It's an E92, 09.

That's the fuse I'm using.

It's an E92, 09.

Is the earth getting a good enough connection.

Is the earth getting a good enough connection.

It hooks into the bolt beside the fusebox pretty tight, doesn't budge. It works until I increase the cars power draw, so I'd say that bits fine. Not sure though, it's weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

noob question - has anyone any experience of fitting a dashcam in a hyundai i30? was thinking of getting one for my father, but was curious about how much faff there is in ensuring cables aren't trailing everywhere.
    he's got a 2018 fastback model.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Another question for people who have dash cams do you leave them in the car attached to the windscreen, Or take it down while parked at night time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Another question for people who have dash cams do you leave them in the car attached to the windscreen, Or take it down while parked at night time.

Leave them installed 24/7

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement