Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

toyotafan wrote: »
    Hey Folks,
    Thinking to treat myself with a Nextbase 512GW dashcam as price is dropped at Halfords at the moment.
    I did some research for review from other people in Amazon and it is claimed that there are so many issue with this dashcam.

Would you recommend it for me to buy?
    Ta

I have one and wouldn't recommend it. Not sure if I've a bad one or they all are but my video quality is awful, especially at night. Wouldn't have a hope of getting a reg through the graininess.

I'll stick you up a couple of samples if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Patww79 wrote: »
    I have one and wouldn't recommend it. Not sure if I've a bad one or they all are but my video quality is awful, especially at night. Wouldn't have a hope of getting a reg through the graininess.

I'll stick you up a couple of samples if you want.

Could you post a link to a camera that would capture a reg number on a dark,rainy night?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Can anyone recommend a good dash cam in halfords?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Could you post a link to a camera that would capture a reg number on a dark,rainy night?

I mean you'd be hard set in the day time on 1440p, at night it's just brutal overall.

I mean you'd be hard set in the day time on 1440p, at night it's just brutal overall.

fair enough...thankfully I haven't had to review any footage since i got mine.

• Advertisement

fair enough...thankfully I haven't had to review any footage since i got mine.

I could have a bad one as it's nearly too bad. My cousin has a 312GW that has far superior footage and even my Yi is leaps ahead of it. I only use the 512 still as I have the rear camera add-on.

I could have a bad one as it's nearly too bad. My cousin has a 312GW that has far superior footage and even my Yi is leaps ahead of it. I only use the 512 still as I have the rear camera add-on.

I could post a link to a video i have on youtube, but TBH, the video quality on my PC is far, far better than the Youtube video. You have me curious as to the ability to read a car reg number, so I'll review it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

I could post a link to a video i have on youtube, but TBH, the video quality on my PC is far, far better than the Youtube video. You have me curious as to the ability to read a car reg number, so I'll review it this evening.

here is a 512gw on highest settings. this fellow pulled straight into the slip road infront of me & nearly stop in it twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Have you tried adjusting the playback quality on your youtube.?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Has anyone used dashcam.ie - good or bad ?

good range over there.

K

• Advertisement

karltimber wrote: »
    Has anyone used dashcam.ie - good or bad ?

good range over there.

K
    i found they are not that good @ responding. you find it cheaper online.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Wonderful... Just got 1 installed but haven't used it yet. Feck sake

Edit. To add insult to injury it was probably a day before they dropped the price. Fecçcckkkkk

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Do halfords install dash cams that aren't bought there? :)

Also, has anyone ever tried extend a rear camera cable? I got a combo pack with front and rear camera, but the cable for the rear camera probably won't be long enough to crawl along the walls/window of my van (it's over 7m long).

no.8 wrote: »
    Wonderful... Just got 1 installed but haven't used it yet. Feck sake

Edit. To add insult to injury it was probably a day before they dropped the price. Fecçcckkkkk

they are still good for what you what it for recording stuff incase anyone falsey accuses you of anything.

blade1 wrote: »
    Have you tried adjusting the playback quality on your youtube.?

Yes. But i still find it's always better quality on my PC when i view the original file.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

cormie wrote: »

Would really like to know the answer to this one too please:)

I would imagine not, after all would you if you're a business install a rival's product in a vehicle on your premises.
    Best bet would be a local garage.

cormie wrote: »

There's nothing to it,why not give it a go yourself?
    Running a few cables and adding a fuse tap; very basic stuff.
    And ye'll be delighted with your achievement after! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Or easier still get a go pro and glue it to the roof of the car. Use black tech7 to hide the cable along the wind screen rubberand attach the cables to the battery under the hood. Simples :-)

Seriously though - any you tube videos out there in how to install one?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For anyone fitting a dashcam themselves I bought this trim remover kit from ebay:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/4Pc-Motorguard-Auto-Car-Door-Body-Trim-Panel-Dashboard-Clip-Removal-Pry-Tool-Kit-/131620557808?hash=item1ea53253f0

Works a treat for prying the interior trim panels in the car without damaging or scratching them, in order to hide the dashcam cable. Just take your time and be careful when doing it. If your not in a hurry you can get them cheaper from China/Aliexpress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was a no brainer to get a pro to fit it for me for 30 euros. The hardwire cable required was 24 euro in store or free if they're installing it. Didn't trust myself pulling out the dash and running cables to the fuse box, if something went wrong I'd have someone to blame :)

Got the next base 312gw installed for €129. Very happy with it. Just behind the mirror.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Was a no brainer to get a pro to fit it for me for 35 euros. The hardwire cable required was 24 euro in store or free if their installing it. Didn't trust myself pulling out the dash and running cables to the fuse box, if something went wrong I'd have someone to blame :)

Got the next base 312gw installed for €129. Very happy with it. Just behind the mirror.
    Pulling out the dash???? :eek:
    I can see why you don't trust yourself :p:pac:

Here's mine that I fitted myself in around a half an hour.
    I have done a few(front and back) in the past.
    Front cam which isn't seen behind the mirror

2u4lpvq.jpg

Rear cam

1omvd5.jpg

And power with a fuse tap.

s3k9it.jpg

Then negative wire to a bolt as you can see at bottom of fuse box and not seen, a little box that stops the battery from going too low.
    I connected it to a permanent live so I can have it running when parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

My Yi arrived today. Quickly threw it on the car before going to work. Was concerned about the night vision on it but wow. Its crystal clear.

They're a savage quality camera for the money. At the weekend I'm going to move the 512 to the rear window and put the Yi back in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Only thing I found bad, The charger didn't work straight outta the box.
    Luckily I had one in the car already for charging the phone so just plugged it in there.
    My car has 2 cigarette charge ports, tried it in both and nada.
    I attached mine to the windscreen behind the mirror and its barely noticeable. I don't know why people advised getting the other sucker attachment as the one that comes with the Yi is pretty good.
    Just have to tidy up the wires and then forget that its there till I need it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

They only advise that because the one out of the box has a 3M sticker which more or less makes it a permanent install, i guess
    Sucker you can move to other cars if needed.

And yes, many people report problem with the usb adaptor\charger

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I got the suction cup because my car has a rain sensor built into the back of the rear view mirror housing so the camera would not be positioned correctly using the sticker alone. The suction cup allows more flexibility for the camera position and angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

looking for a recommendation;
    Backstory..... I purchased a Nexbase dashcam from Halfords a few years ago and got a Nextbase hardwiring kit with it. I then went and installed it myself, neat enough job with the wire only showing in one place were I didnt want to but it behind the trim because there's an air bag sign beside it.

Fast forward to now, where I want to upgrade and add one for the back window also. The Yi seems to be the most recommended here so I was going to order this from the last Amazon link given on the thread. What options are available for hardwiring them in? Do I need to find a Yi branded kit that does the back and front into the fuse box or are there generic hardwiring kits that will do the job?

thanks,

Reg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    looking for a recommendation;
    Backstory..... I purchased a Nexbase dashcam from Halfords a few years ago and got a Nextbase hardwiring kit with it. I then went and installed it myself, neat enough job with the wire only showing in one place were I didnt want to but it behind the trim because there's an air bag sign beside it.

Fast forward to now, where I want to upgrade and add one for the back window also. The Yi seems to be the most recommended here so I was going to order this from the last Amazon link given on the thread. What options are available for hardwiring them in? Do I need to find a Yi branded kit that does the back and front into the fuse box or are there generic hardwiring kits that will do the job?

thanks,

Reg.

If you already have a kit hardwired in you could just use that. If it has a different type of USB, maybe mini to micro, you can buy a cheap adapter on ebay to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement