Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

1jcdub wrote: »
    Leave them installed 24/7

Cheers was just talking about them in work and one of the lads said he would take it out to stop it from getting robbed, Will head over to Halfords the weekend to get it fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭Damien360

noob question - has anyone any experience of fitting a dashcam in a hyundai i30? was thinking of getting one for my father, but was curious about how much faff there is in ensuring cables aren't trailing everywhere.
    he's got a 2018 fastback model.
    cheers

I fitted a Nextbase 412GW to a Hyundai Kona so I'm guessing it will be similar. Check fuse type before starting. The fuse tap is not the correct size supplied but nextbase sent me the correct micro fuse prong (not blade) adapter free of charge.

Cable ran left, down passenger side door seal, removed glove box easily, across the centre binacle (hardest part so used a flexible tube to attach wire and pull across) to fit on fuse box under right of steering column. Finding an Earth, any piece of metal, was tough as there is so much plastic but the earth wire is long so it is just a matter of hunting a bit and I found an Earth behind central binacle. Use a tie wrap to secure the power adapter to anywhere on frame. Good location behind glove box. Tapped off rear window wiper which is a switched live.

About 30mins of faffing around. Could do it in under 10 now once I know layout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

My mothers 1 owner Ford Fiesta is up for sale, i've been tasked with its dispatch.

144,000km, 1.25l petrol, manual, serviced annually, hasn't given a moments trouble in 11 years.
    Long NCT and taxed until March.
    She finally changed to something bigger, see the advert below. Thanks. :)

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2008-ford-fiesta-1-owner-from-new-low-miles/20879054

YzczMjk1MDQxZDBjNDZmMDU1OGU0MjA2MjMzMjExODQ8A_h_s3J6TuijdKyvLQ01aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTcwNDkzMTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Selling my wife's 2016 Seat Ibiza 1.0 Sport bought as a pre-reg from Finbarr Galvin in Bandon.

Pirinous Grey
    43000km
    FSH from Seat
    5dr

Lovely spec -
    16" alloys
    Auto lights/wipers/rear view mirror
    Electric folding mirrors
    Front fogs
    Electric Windows
    Remote locking
    2 keys
    Bluetooth with audio streaming
    Multifunction Leather steering
    Tinted rear windows.

Car is on consignment in a friend's garage, Blue Diamond Cars in Carrigaline if anyone wants to take a look

€10950ono

9vjuz7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Was just having a look on Halfords website about getting the Nextbase fitted, And noticed that they also do a rear facing camera that can be connected up would this work with the back window tinted ?
    Also I saw that they do one that is mounted onto the rear view mirror would that be a better option than the 512GW, Was thinking it be more discreet than having suction cups on the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I have rear facing cam and back window tinted. No problems. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice. My car has been vandalised twice in 2 weeks. First time they ripped the glass of my left wing mirror off and took it away (no sign of it anywhere). Got the glass replaced, and then yesterday morning I came out to find the whole left wing mirror ripped off, the wires have possibly even been manually cut. Again no sign of it, was taken away.

I live on a busy road, have no driveway, and I have resident’s parking permit as I’m not far outside the city. I can’t always guarantee that I can park outside my house, it’s first come first served.

I was thinking about getting a dashcam that records while the car is off/during the night. But I literally know nothing about dash cams, I found one on Amazon that serves this purpose but it’s very expensive, do you know of any affordable versions?
    Also would this be a deterrant or would it just encourage a break in?

I’ve the replacement wing mirror ordered and if the same scumbag targets my car again after it’s fixed I’m gonna go spare :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Hey guys, looking for a bit of advice. My car has been vandalised twice in 2 weeks. First time they ripped the glass of my left wing mirror off and took it away (no sign of it anywhere). Got the glass replaced, and then yesterday morning I came out to find the whole left wing mirror ripped off, the wires have possibly even been manually cut. Again no sign of it, was taken away.

I live on a busy road, have no driveway, and I have resident’s parking permit as I’m not far outside the city. I can’t always guarantee that I can park outside my house, it’s first come first served.

I was thinking about getting a dashcam that records while the car is off/during the night. But I literally know nothing about dash cams, I found one on Amazon that serves this purpose but it’s very expensive, do you know of any affordable versions?

I’ve the replacement wing mirror ordered and if the same scumbag targets my car again after it’s fixed I’m gonna go spare :mad:

Get one that has a parking mode, I had the ddpai M6 and it would stay live if you wanted and to save space it would automatically speed itself up to save memory while no motion.

What you could do is fit a power bank, have this wired up to charge when the car is running and then no worries if battery getting dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What you could do is fit a power bank, have this wired up to charge when the car is running and then no worries if battery getting dead.

Do you know of a power bank that will can charge while powering the dash cam punisher?
    I'm on the lookout for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Got fitted with the nextbase 312 in halfords today for €115. Very happy with it, the WiFi is great to be able to upload videos to my phone. Picture quality is good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=471511&d=1548716115

2000 Toyota Corolla
    One owner from new - me.
    58,000 miles
    NCT until May, taxed until end January
    Central locking, Alarm and Immobiliser fitted
    1.4 l engine
    Driving perfectly, no problem with electrics or anything else
    Never crashed
    5 good tyres on it, I think I replaced them before last year's NCT

https://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/corolla/2000-toyota-corolla/17182987?touch_off

Just an update here, my car was targeted again on Sunday night, 4 slashed tyres!! :mad:

I was talking to staff in Halfords today and they said that a dash cam wouldn't really work, that it'd only record for a few seconds if it detected motion? Also someone else said that the car would have to be hit for it to turn on, that someone walking around the car wouldn't do it?

Anyone have any thoughts? I was put off getting one if it wouldn't work for the purpose I need it for, but I feel like I need to do something! I won't get a wink of sleep worrying about the car otherwise :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Did you piss off someone or what?

Or isnt your car the only one being ****ed with?

If it is option 1, i wouldnt invest in a dash cam but in an sniper rifle and some camo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

If possible, a cloud based surveillance camera pointed at the car would be better than a dash cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

You not been mistaken for a drug dealer or something like that are you.?? you must have done something to piss someone off. why would they do that much damage to your cars other wise & other cars not touched?? slashings tyres & damaging mirrors. want to be a high end camera to capture their faces otherwise it will be not good if you cant identify them.

inforfun wrote: »
    Did you piss off someone or what?

Or isnt your car the only one being ****ed with?

If it is option 1, i wouldnt invest in a dash cam but in an sniper rifle and some camo.
    You not been mistaken for a drug dealer or something like that are you.?? you must have done something to piss someone off. why would they do that much damage to your cars other wise & other cars not touched?? slashings tyres & damaging mirrors. want to be a high end camera to capture their faces otherwise it will be not good if you cant identify them.

I had my suspicions that someone was targeting my car due to the Together for Yes bumper sticker I had on the back. I should have taken it down sooner, but on Sunday there were at least two other cars tyres slashed, and they had Repeal stickers too, so it has to be some mental pro lifer I reckon. Working on getting cctv footage from a neighbour and a bookies that's between me and one of the cars about a 5 minute walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

You can also use a high capacity powerbank to continuously power your dashcam when your car is parked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Amouar wrote: »
    You can also use a high capacity powerbank to continuously power your dashcam when your car is parked.

The risk there is that they just see the camera and take it, SD card and all.

• Advertisement

The risk there is that they just see the camera and take it, SD card and all.

That's my other worry. I've no idea what to do. Obviously cctv outside the house would be the most ideal, but that space is often taken

That's my other worry. I've no idea what to do. Obviously cctv outside the house would be the most ideal, but that space is often taken
    it is cause of the sticker i heard of other cars as well being damaged as well cause of this

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I found it best not to display political/certain views, as some may take offence or just not understand. Looks like this may have been the reason for the attack on your car.

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I found it best not to display political/certain views, as some may take offence or just not understand. Looks like this may have been the reason for the attack on your car.

ya cause there is total nut jobs out who will take offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi

up for sale is my 2003 alfa 147. Only selling as I got a job that requires travelling and have bought a larger car.

thanks for looking

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

<no chat allowed>

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

2013 BMW 118d Sport auto

116,000kms
    Full BMW Service History, covered by BMW AUC Warranty until March
    Tax - 3/19, NCT - 1/21, Service in: 15000km or 6/20 whichever sooner

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-1-series-118d-sport-automatic/20888851

Just an update here, my car was targeted again on Sunday night, 4 slashed tyres!! :mad:

I was talking to staff in Halfords today and they said that a dash cam wouldn't really work, that it'd only record for a few seconds if it detected motion? Also someone else said that the car would have to be hit for it to turn on, that someone walking around the car wouldn't do it?

Anyone have any thoughts? I was put off getting one if it wouldn't work for the purpose I need it for, but I feel like I need to do something! I won't get a wink of sleep worrying about the car otherwise :(

4 tyres slashed again last night. I'm actually at a fúcking loss now. No point replacing them again until this fúcker is caught. I've the Gards calling later this evening for my statement and to check my neighbours cctv.

Edit: There was no bumper sticker this time so he's obviously made a note of my car and the other girls car up the road because her tyres were done again last night too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

4 tyres slashed again last night. I'm actually at a fúcking loss now. No point replacing them again until this fúcker is caught. I've the Gards calling later this evening for my statement and to check my neighbours cctv.

Edit: There was no bumper sticker this time so he's obviously made a note of my car and the other girls car up the road because her tyres were done again last night too

Dashcam probably wouldn't cut it anyway as it wouldn't show a view of someone slashing the tyres, best bet would be team up with anyone else in locale that's had same problem and each install an IP over wifi camera, and share the password, if you can then park within sight of any camera you might get a shot at catching them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement