Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Any recommendation on a dual front/rear camera? The Nextbase DUO is about e240 at Halfords. Reviews for it seem very good, and I'm keen on Nextbase given the experience I've had with my 312. Anyone have one or have another dual cam they'd recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

jaxxx wrote: »
    Any recommendation on a dual front/rear camera? The Nextbase DUO is about e240 at Halfords. Reviews for it seem very good, and I'm keen on Nextbase given the experience I've had with my 312. Anyone have one or have another dual cam they'd recommend?

If you want Nextbase then I'd say the 512GW + 512GWRC combination would probably be cheaper. Not sure I'd recommend them though but I really think my front camera is faulty.

EDIT: €190

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-512GWRC-Recording-Anti-Glare-Polarising/dp/B07H3XQ1YM

Just be aware that the 1440p is as close to false advertising as it gets when it's with the rear because if you use the rear camera you can only record in 1080p on the front.

_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

06 Renault laguna
    Nct till end of may 19
    Tax till end of march 19

Slight oil leak thus prices

https://www.adverts.ie/car/renault/laguna/2006-renault-laguna/16581207

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Rotweiler

https://www.adverts.ie/car/mini/cooper/2007-mini-cooper/16501929

Here is my car:

Hello everyone!

Here's my Mini Cooper 1.6 Petrol is for sale to change car.

The car is very low mileage for the age and fully logged every maintenance and is really in mint condition .

- 110.000 KM
    - 6 Speed
    - 1.6 120 metric horsepower BMW Built Engine
    - 7 - 7,5 lt /100 KM Fuel Consumption
    - Auto headlight levelers
    - Air Condition
    - Cooler Glove Box
    - CD Player & Aux
    - Automatic glasses
    - Ambient lighting
    - Speed sensible wipers
    - Tyre pressure control
    - ABS
    - 2 set of Keys
    - Immobilizer
    - NCT Until December 2018 + Tax Paid Until December 2018
    - Reasonable Tax 514 yearly(You can pay up to 3 installments over revenue)

Works 100%!!! No fault no nothing!

The car can be seen around Sandyford after 6PM or at East Wall around midday.

Please no lowballing and unreasonable offers. The price is fix.

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thought I'd put my car up here:

https://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/prius/2008-toyota-prius/16618415

Prius in great condition, Taxed 'til Feb 2019 and NCT 'til Jan 2020.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭fuse

https://www.adverts.ie/car/volvo/v50/volvo-v50-2010-1-6d-drive-se-start-stop-108bhp-5dr/16603913

Volvo V50 - 2010 1.6D Drive SE Start/stop 108BHP 5DR
    • 117,000 miles
    • 1.6L Diesel
    • Taxed & NCTd until May 2019
    • Bluetooth, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning, Sunroof

NDQzNTk2NTBiZjE3ZGE5YTM0M2NjODAwMjcwNGQyZTVETpV1EIImHhncB8s7hg7OaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMTMzNTI3OWMyYWQyNjBkM2M1OWQ0NDNhNWUyNmVhMjMyYmFkOTFlZTU4ZTM3MWZmMzFhZWM2N2NiZmNlMzlmOS5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTEyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2007-honda-civic-es/20271035

My own car. Have my eye on a new car, as they say. Would definitely do a boardsie a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi Guys, I hope you don't mind me dragging this issue back to life.

I've had a DDPai M6 Plus hardwired in my car for over 2 years and it's worked perfectly until it suddenly stopped working correctly some weeks ago.

The red light on the camera indicates that the camera is receiving power but it never starts recording. However, when I take the camera out of the car and plug it into a micro USB connected to a regular power socket the camera starts up and starts recording correctly. This indicates to me that whilst the car is providing some power to the camera it isn't providing enough power for the camera to start up recording. Is that possible?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Hi Guys, I hope you don't mind me dragging this issue back to life.

I've had a DDPai M6 Plus hardwired in my car for over 2 years and it's worked perfectly until it suddenly stopped working correctly some weeks ago.

The red light on the camera indicates that the camera is receiving power but it never starts recording. However, when I take the camera out of the car and plug it into a micro USB connected to a regular power socket the camera starts up and starts recording correctly. This indicates to me that whilst the car is providing some power to the camera it isn't providing enough power for the camera to start up recording. Is that possible?

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there a solution?

i think i experienced the same problem with my nxt base 612 it is not hardwired

but it showed red light had power.. but i just unplugged the wired going into unit & plugged it again & it worked away fine. (u could also try formatting the sd card & see if that helps as well. could be card is getting faulty)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

vectra wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay
    OK
    Here is a quick sample of video from Blueskysea B1W dashcam. >>> HERE
    I literally stuck the mount to the windscreen and wired up the cam, I did not change any settings in the cam. Therefore Improvements may be had by fiddling around.
    To the lower left of the video what you can see is a reflection from the dash/ windscreen
    To the right upper part of the video, you will see a dark patch, this is the HUGE mount for the mirror in my car, but I am happy with what the cam picks up for me.

I just bought one of these. Thanks for the info. Just configured it in the house & fairly simple. App worked a treat. I prefer to leave Audio off so set that off & set time slots to 5 mins. Will install in the car over the weekend & see how it goes.

T.

• Advertisement

Would people have speed stamps on their car dash cam on or off. ?? eg if some fellow was tailgating you Not giving u a chance to pull in or something like that driving up ur arse & u complained to the guards & showed the video but in it you were doing 125km/h not 120km/h . Wouldnt the guards do you aS WELL??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

So my Nextbase 402G is fairly broken. The only buttons that seem to work are power and record. Can't access the menus to save clips or anything and also the settings have reset to default, so screen stays on and beeps everytime I turn on the car.

I haven't reset it yet as I can't find a pin so I'll try that, but the overall reliability of the camera is dreadful. So many clips are corrupt despite needing a new SD card every few months.

Is there anything that isn't rebranded Chinese crap? Looking to spend around 100-150. The plus side of the 402G is the footage is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Would people have speed stamps on their car dash cam on or off. ?? eg if some fellow was tailgating you Not giving u a chance to pull in or something like that driving up ur arse & u complained to the guards & showed the video but in it you were doing 125km/h not 120km/h . Wouldnt the guards do you aS WELL??

What do you mean tailgating you and not giving you a chance to pull in? Was this on a motorway? Why couldn't you let him pass? If the dash cam shows you failing to keep left unless overtaking, I wouldn't be going to cops with the video :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

TigerTim wrote: »
    I just bought one of these. Thanks for the info. Just configured it in the house & fairly simple. App worked a treat. I prefer to leave Audio off so set that off & set time slots to 5 mins. Will install in the car over the weekend & see how it goes.

T.

I hope you are happy with it,
    I am still very pleased with my one.
    Though I think it may be time I updated the firmware in case I am missing out on any improvements,
    I literally fitted it and left it.

Did anyone see AXA are now offering 10% discount on policies to drivers that install a dashcam?
    They have tied up with Nextbase who in return will offer another 10% off the cost of the cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Would people have speed stamps on their car dash cam on or off. ?? [...]

Off, definately off. No on-screen proof of your maybe too high speed, in case of real need to prove what speed you're at, that's usually stored in GPS data on the memory card.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Did anyone see AXA are now offering 10% discount on policies to drivers that install a dashcam?
    They have tied up with Nextbase who in return will offer another 10% off the cost of the cameras.

Good to know, thanks :)

Edit: Although maybe they'll all start doing that, then the 10% will just become the "normal" price, but then, if more cars had dash cams fitted, maybe there'd be less bogus claims and prices would drop further :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Seems to be a bit of a shady one. Only Nextbase and only from certain retailers. I'd say there's been a paw or two greased somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Patww79 wrote: »
    Seems to be a bit of a shady one. Only Nextbase and only from certain retailers. I'd say there's been a paw or two greased somewhere.

I didn't see where it stated the discount was only with Nextbase cameras. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

I didn't see where it stated the discount was only with Nextbase cameras. :confused:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/motorists-offered-insurance-discount-if-they-fit-dash-cams-in-their-cars-1.3696147
    Said in the article I read just Nextbase and from several retailers. Which probably just mean stores in Ireland, know Halfords, Argos and Expert Electrical have them.

Like a house alarm I’d think it may be better not to declare it and get a discount. If you declare you’ll be required to give the footage over if you have a claim against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I'm looking for some advice guys.

I received a gift of Thinkware F770 (Front & Rear) Dashcams recently. I'm finding that the 32GB MicroSD card fills up so quickly and I want to replace it. What would you recommend? Thanks.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

How many recording hours would you expect to get from that card, jou?

I'm doing a lot of driving at the moment so I was thinking of going for some like a 256GB. Are some brands better than others? I say this as I've paid big money for SanDisk cards in the past and they failed within a few months.

cormie wrote: »
    What do you mean tailgating you and not giving you a chance to pull in? Was this on a motorway? Why couldn't you let him pass? If the dash cam shows you failing to keep left unless overtaking, I wouldn't be going to cops with the video :)

i was trying to say it pc way with no breaking law activity. it was a bad example :p:p
    anyway got my ans leave it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

I'm doing a lot of driving at the moment so I was thinking of going for some like a 256GB. Are some brands better than others? I say this as I've paid big money for SanDisk cards in the past and they failed within a few months.

Make sure your dashcam can handle a card over 64gb first...

This card has been recommended on here before..

Unregistered Users

2x more than 32 GB.

The cam you have cannot handle more than 64 GB, according to specs and user's reports on Dashcamtalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

joujoujou wrote: »
    2x more than 32 GB.

The cam you have cannot handle more than 64 GB, according to specs and user's reports on Dashcamtalk.

Hey Jou...are you using an A119?

Thanks to Used To Wait & JouJouJou for the card recommendations.

Unregistered Users

newmember? wrote: »
    Hey Jou...are you using an A119?
    I have to admit - not yet. Took it off the box, tested and now awaiting my laziness let me replace my old mini 0805. :o:o
    Thanks to Used To Wait & JouJouJou for the card recommendations.
    You're welcome. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Any such thing as a dash cam with multi postions around the car? Front, back and sides? All with parking mode or even recording all the time even when not being driven. 360 degree security. I would be interested in something like this if it exists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

Patww79 wrote: »

It seems to be a special offer been provided by Nextbase and AXA where you get 10% of a Nextbase Dashcam from participating Retailers
    but anybody who has a Nextbase Dashcam can also avail of the 10% Insurance Discount if taking out a new policy or a renewal regardless where or when they bought it , they just inform AXA they have a Nextbase Dashcam https://www.axa.ie/car-insurance/offers/nextbase/
    offer seems to be until 31/12/2018
    im guessing get your quote and then after that before you take it , inform them you have a Nextbase Dashcam so the discount is applied then making your policy as cheap as possible
    about time a discount was given for Dashcams and surely they will have to start discounting for everyone who has a Dashcam id think soon enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement