Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just 3 quick questions on cams before I go looking at various models etc.:

1. Is it possible to wire a dash cam to be also used as a reversing camera, or would that require a 2nd cam? I presume the locations would be different enough to warrant 2 cameras?

2. Does anyone know if a dash cam or reversing cam (or both) can be programmed/wired into the Audi in-car display screens or would it require a second screen?

3. Halfords seem to be offering free installation when you purchase through them....are Halfords a) any good at installation and b) competitive on price?

Thanks in advance.

Generally you should think of your dashcam(s) as separate devices from your reversing camera.

You don't mention what year/model Audi you have. If the car came with a reversing camera from the factory, then maybe it would be possible to retrofit a reversing camera. But this is not a dashcam.

As for halfords fitting, I wouldn't let them do it. They're generally poorly trained and I wouldn't trust them to do it right. You could get lucky though.

Cheers for that. Audi is 2015 A6, but didn't come with a reversing camera. I was wondering if I had one installed whether or not it would be necessary to have a second screen installed also. Two screens would be a bit much.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Cheers for that. Audi is 2015 A6, but didn't come with a reversing camera. I was wondering if I had one installed whether or not it would be necessary to have a second screen installed also. Two screens would be a bit much.

I just did a bit of googling and it seems your model Audi did come with a reverse cam option. A 8 grand option from the factory! So technically it is possible, but buying all the Audi parts might be a big ask, and even finding them second hand might be tricky/expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

https://www.google.ie/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE757IE757&ei=iyGhW-usMoGAgQam8riwDA&q=a6+reversing+camera+retrofit&oq=a6+reversing+camera+retrofit&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30k1l4.6145.8259.0.8876.7.7.0.0.0.0.162.692.2j4.6.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..1.4.435...33i160k1.0.z2aJQHYvbIQ

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Good evening everyone :)

My car is ancient, I have two cameras (one front, one back). They power off when I turn off the car. Is there any kit you can get that'll keep the cameras running when the car is parked?

Will this drain the battery or will it cut off at a certain point just like "eco mode" comes on when the radios is left on.

Preferably I’d like constant recording when parked because of the increase in dings that's happening lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TK Lemon wrote: »

My car is ancient, I have two cameras (one front, one back). They power off when I turn off the car. Is there any kit you can get that'll keep the cameras running when the car is parked?

Will this drain the battery or will it cut off at a certain point just like "eco mode" comes on when the radios is left on.

Preferably I’d like constant recording when parked because of the increase in dings that's happening lately.

You can buy a battery pack and use it so it charges when car runs and gives power when car is off so it doesn't drain car battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

TK Lemon wrote: »

You can buy a battery pack and use it so it charges when car runs and gives power when car is off so it doesn't drain car battery.
    How long can a battery pack run a dash cam?
    I mean, say that we have a 3000 mAh battery pack, can it last longer than a day?
    Does it mean that the dash cam is wired directly to the battery pack? The dash cams come with a lighter plug, do we need to adapt the battery pack to this plug?
    Thanks!

Talking about dual dash cams.
    Would you rather pick a model with a front and rear cam, or the second cam pointing inside the car?
    And why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I mean, say that we have a 3000 mAh battery pack, can it last longer than a day?
    Does it mean that the dash cam is wired directly to the battery pack? The dash cams come with a lighter plug, do we need to adapt the battery pack to this plug?
    Thanks!

You can buy dedicated battery backup kits for dashcams rather than use a regular power bank.

Thanks!

Get a 22000mAH it will last loads. They can be got for around €20 or close to.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Get a 22000mAH it will last loads. They can be got for around €20 or close to.

As far as I know, you can't recharge the pack when the pack is supplying another device.
    How do you switch the dash cam from the car supply to the pack supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I had an incident today with some plonker behind me when I stopped at a pedestrian crossing to let a girl walk past. Gesturing me on making a fool of themselves when she is entitled to cross. I have a really good front camera but no back one. Looking at getting a really cheap €20 dash cam I seen in Target in Liffey Valley. They have loads of them... For that price why not...

Would drivers behind me be intimidated by seeing a rear dash cam stuck to the back window do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Would drivers behind me be intimidated by seeing a rear dash cam stuck to the back window do you think?

Nope!
    Generally speaking,totally oblivious to it I think.
    Which is all the better imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Would you rather pick a model with a front and rear cam, or the second cam pointing inside the car?
    And why?
    Two separate ones.

Because:

1. You're not limited to dual cams in terms of size/shape/price/quality.

2. You don't have to put wires along the whole car (you will find +12V somewhere at rear in most cars).

3. If dual cam fail/freeze/etc, you have no cam at all, and it's extremely unlikely 2 separate ones would fail simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I just did a bit of googling and it seems your model Audi did come with a reverse cam option. A 8 grand option from the factory! So technically it is possible, but buying all the Audi parts might be a big ask, and even finding them second hand might be tricky/expensive.
    have a look here for the parts https://www.carsystems.eu/
    have bought from them before with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

I am looking at Blackveue DR7050S-1 CH in Halfords and they currently have an offer on free fitting included with any dash cam purchase. Is there anyone here who has had this done by Halfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I saw this pop up on Facebook, feature wise it looks great, but I wonder how quality stacks up, it's a lot cheaper than I would have thought before clicking the link!

https://www.phonete.com/products/dvr-video-dash-cam-recorder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hey all.
    Have decided to put my 2005 E66 740Li up for sale. €7500
    It's not listed anywhere apart from here for now, I've nothing lined up to replace it yet but having it sold before I take the plunge makes sense.

C3pEauR.jpg

It's an ex-BMW Ireland car in Monaco blue, facelifted, very highly specced and in long wheelbase, 109k miles, bought at 69k miles.
    I've owned this car since December 2013 and has never been out of tax/NCT.

It has €14,000 worth of options when new, including:

Bi-xenon adaptive headlights
    Satellite navigation with 2018 map
    Self levelling rear suspension
    Three spoke leather sport steering wheel
    20" style 149 alloy wheels & 19" style 95 full size spare
    Automatic hydraulic boot open and close
    Comfort access
    Soft-close doors
    Tilt and slide sunroof
    Back window electric sun blind
    Rear passenger electric sunshades
    Rear comfort seat package
    Rear entertainment package, iDrive and TFT display
    Rear heated seats
    Rear ventilated seats
    Front comfort seats
    Front heated seats
    Front ventilated seats
    Soft touch nappa leather in Nasca Beige
    Velour carpets
    Park distance control front and rear
    TV function
    6 disc DVD changer
    Logic 7 HK 11 speaker audio system
    Dension Gateway 500 MP3/USB/iPod/AUX input
    Automatic rain sensing wipers
    Automatic headlights
    Voice control
    Telephone system
    Multi zone climate control and A/C
    Auto dim rear view mirror
    Ambient lighting

Engine is the N62 4.0L V8 with 306bhp.
    Every issue that develops with this V8 has been sorted, including:

- Stem seals
    Do not buy one of these V8s if the stem seals have not been replaced, a €1500 job.
    To add to that, do not buy one that has had the seals replaced with BMW seals!
    I had the seals replaced under warranty in 2014 with OEM seals, which failed again this year, 2018. A well documented problem with OEM rubber.
    Seals have been replaced once more with Elring seals (good for 100k miles), new VC gaskets, new spark plugs, new spark plug tubes and an oil change, June 2018.
    - Valley pan coolant pipe
    The central coolant pipe running between the V in the engine has been replaced, which rectifies a coolant leak that requires a large labour bill, €1300.
    - CCV valves
    Replaced in June 2018
    - Water goods
    Thermostat and waterpump replaced in 2015

Full service history with every single receipt in my ownership filed and documented.
    10 oil changes in the 109k miles
    Transmission service at 82k miles

In May 2018:
    New OEM front discs and pads
    New air filter
    New oil filter and oil
    New NGK spark plugs

Tyres are Good Year F1 AS3 on rear, 60%, Continental SC5 on front, 50%
    NCT July 2019, no advisories
    Tax up in November 2018

Despite the amount of specification on the car, everything works 100%, with the following exceptions:

- "Low battery remote key" chime when car is turned off since the day I bought it, unless the battery is fresh. Seems to be a signal problem, key battery lasts over a year.
    I replaced the rear window antenna, bought a brand new key, replaced the rear window amplifier, no luck and dealer is also stumped.
    I lived with it for 5 years, error can be coded away but I never bothered. Radio can be a little patchy outside towns so seems to be antenna related.

- Comfort access not working on driver door, the outside CA handles on the E65 are a terrible design and allow water in.
    Replacing the handle is a 10 minute job, but I already replaced it a few years ago and they just fail over and over so I do without, they're a €400 handle.
    Works on passenger door no problem. Use the key like any other car key and no problems.

- Bonnet lift stuts need to be replaced, will likely have this done in the next week.

Car has absolutely no rust, no paint damage and was fully paint corrected with a DA machine polish about 6 months ago.
    Any questions welcome.

More pics here:
    https://imgur.com/a/mPgbErF

My opinion is that cams should be as much concealed as possible, mainly for your own safety.

• Advertisement

joujoujou wrote: »
    And why?
    Two separate ones.

Because:

1. You're  not limited to dual cams in terms of size/shape/price/quality.

2. You don't have to put wires along the whole car (you will find +12V somewhere at rear in most cars).

3. If dual cam fail/freeze/etc, you have no cam at all, and it's extremely unlikely 2 separate ones would fail simultaneously.
    The third point is the one that makes more sense to me. Thanks!
    The bad side of having two separate cams is that the cost is higher, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,572 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Perhaps higher alright. However, in case one of them fails permanently, you'll end up buying only one as a replacement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

vectra wrote: »
    I will put some up tomorrow
    Sorry for the delay

Yes,
    I am extremely happy with the one I bought recently.
    This one >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173287391920

Hi Vectra, how are you finding the dashcam? Still liking it? Can you upload a video or 2? Thinking of buying a dashcam soon, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi Vectra, how are you finding the dashcam? Still liking it? Can you upload a video or 2? Thinking of buying a dashcam soon, thanks.

OOPS,
    Sorry about that.
    I am loving how discreet it is,
    Would you believe it is still working but had no reason to check a video,
    Except for the fact I totally forgot to post a clip here.
    I will do so shortly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

blade1 wrote: »
    Nope!
    Generally speaking,totally oblivious to it I think.
    Which is all the better imo.

Do u think its a good idea to have a dash cam on the back window ???

I am in two minds here. Between ya its a good idea & u dont need one if u have a front one

Thoughts lads

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Do u think its a good idea to have a dash cam on the back window ???

I am in two minds here. Between ya its a good idea & u dont need one if u have a front one

Thoughts lads
    I have one on the back of mine.
    You never know it may just catch something that the front might miss.
    Here's an example of my one.
    It shows the front cam first,then a still and then rear cam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

blade1 wrote: »
    I have one on the back of mine.
    You never know it may just catch something that the front might miss.
    Here's an example of my one.

ya those retards look @ me i have a bmw i am going to drive dangerously. i am a tool

I have a 4k in front i was thinking of putting my old black- vue dr500gw on the back window

Right I have had ddpai m6 and disappointed at how short it lasted.

Looking for something not too crazy expensive but that others have and are lasting well

Any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Right I have had ddpai m6 and disappointed at how short it lasted.

Looking for something not too crazy expensive but that others have and are lasting well

Any ideas

That Xiaomi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Sorry for the delay
    OK
    Here is a quick sample of video from Blueskysea B1W dashcam. >>> HERE
    I literally stuck the mount to the windscreen and wired up the cam, I did not change any settings in the cam. Therefore Improvements may be had by fiddling around.
    To the lower left of the video what you can see is a reflection from the dash/ windscreen
    To the right upper part of the video, you will see a dark patch, this is the HUGE mount for the mirror in my car, but I am happy with what the cam picks up for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement