Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Has it a good WIFI range vectra? I have the YI and would prefer if I could get longer WiFi coverage.( see driveway from couch).

That's not something I checked as I have mine hardwired through the ignition.
    I might be able to check that for you tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

2007 BMW 130i

38342560375_50a6337e0e_c.jpg

Backstory: The car has been stored with love in Bray. I'm currently between Bray and Toronto with work. Returning in about a week for three weeks, absolutely need the car sold as its a tragedy to be sitting under a cover.

Car will be listed on DoneDeal soon but if you want details, there is a full write up on BackRoads under my username.

Original Boards.ie Post: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106614334&postcount=328

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

My 2005 Golf 2l tdi 140bhp sport. Had it for 5 years, will be putting it through NCT this week so it will have 15 months NCT

Timing belt, fuel lines and new tyres put on it at the last service, next service is due but it just needs filters and fluids. Have all my receipts nad a full book of service history.

Lovely car to drive, mechanically it is amazing, bodywork is showing a few signs of its age but not beyond what would be expected of a car of its age.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-tdi-sport-2l-140bhp-fsh/19550584

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Squatman

my 2012 VW Golf, owned for over a year, and brother in law owned it before me. 70k miles. Good looking car, reliable, full UK service history, and indie service history since. Upgraded to an A6 Estate due to expanding our family. Taxed and tested, Aircon recently refilled. any questions call or text - car is in claregalway (send me a text if you have trouble getting through to me as network signal can drop at home). Feel free to PM me either

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-golf-2012/19176824?campaign=3

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

In great nick, scratches as expected at that age. Perfect mechanical oreder, full service history with plenty of receipts

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-hybrid-gs450h/19391066

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So my trusty ddpai m6 has started to fail.

The battery isn't holding any charge and constantly saying hello ddpai.

Anyone else have any similar issue and does anyone k ow if a battery replacement is possible as I can find any information online.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Cheapest on Donedeal, reluctant sale. Solid as a rock...
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-jaguar-x-type-390-tax-nct-taxed-2-0-d/19659942

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

looking to sell/swap my Lexus IS200 auto details
    here

Thanks for looking

brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Was in Dublin today and there was two guys on the side of the road leading up to the liffey valley shopping center, one of them jumped straight out in front of the car face on, apparently looking to be hit while the other stayed on the side of the road & he had a mobile phone in his hand (presumably ready to take some pics or something). slowed down well in time and had the car just barely rolling, he moved slightly to the right and i accelerated which i think caught him off guard as the car is electric and has a virtually silent but rapid takeoff,(there was no way i was stopping as i had my wife and two young kids in the car)he seemed to reach towards the driver door handle as i went by as well.

Has this happened to anybody else here? Im going to get a dashcam after seeing this type of thing going on, anybody here using one? any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 buster13

Ford Focus in perfect condition and recently serviced

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/19759304

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'm considering a dash cam for an E Class
    Would not really want leads hanging out of it to the cigarette lighter socket, so prefer hardwired
    would prefer if I can take it down when not in use (will probably leave it up most of time, but sometimes if parked in a bad area it might attract a brick through the window
    wouldn't mind a synchronised rear view camera
    doesn't need inbuilt gps…. actually would rather without it

would I be right in assuming most of them save to an SD card?

vectra wrote: »
    Bought this B1W

Got a good review and apparently is very discreet as well.
    Will post back with results.
    Thanks

have you any footage off that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭chewed

Moreilly wrote: »
    Was in Dublin today and there was two guys on the side of the road leading up to the liffey valley shopping center, one of them jumped straight out in front of the car face on, apparently looking to be hit while the other stayed on the side of the road & he had a mobile phone in his hand (presumably ready to take some pics or something). slowed down well in time and had the car just barely rolling, he moved slightly to the right and i accelerated which i think caught him off guard as the car is electric and has a virtually silent but rapid takeoff,(there was no way i was stopping as i had my wife and two young kids in the car)he seemed to reach towards the driver door handle as i went by as well.

Has this happened to anybody else here? Im going to get a dashcam after seeing this type of thing going on, anybody here using one? any recommendations?

Really??? There are over 200 pages of discussions on various dashcams in this thread! You should start to look at some previous posts and try to figure out what would be suitable for you and your needs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Seve OB wrote: »
    I'm considering a dash cam for an E Class
    Would not really want leads hanging out of it to the cigarette lighter socket, so prefer hardwired
    would prefer if I can take it down when not in use (will probably leave it up most of time, but sometimes if parked in a bad area it might attract a brick through the window
    wouldn't mind a synchronised rear view camera
    doesn't need inbuilt gps…. actually would rather without it

would I be right in assuming most of them save to an SD card?

I'm sure there's other ones, but the only one I have experience of is the Nextbase 512GW that has an add-on camera called the 512GWRC for the rear window. The rear plugs into the front and everything records on the SD card in the front camera. The front is removable from it's holder but the rear isn't.

I tapped mine into an ignition live fuse and ran the cable up the A-pillar to the camera, everything is hidden. The cable from front to rear is down over the head lining.

The G in GW stands for GPS but someone may know of another that doesn't have it. As far as I know the rear camera only works with the 512GW. I'm not fond of the night video quality on it either.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-ie/dash-cams/512gw-dash-cam/

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/dash-cams/512gwrc-dash-cam/

Edit - this is worth a read too

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

Aparently it has become more common of late people jumping in front of cars

Moreilly wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Years ago I seen some middle eastern kids jumping out in front of cars, they approached me and I beeped them out of it and stopped well away from them, opened my window and pointed behind them and when they looked around I sped off.
    12 or 13 years of age wearing scruffy looking suits and brown shoes three times too big for them.

I wouldn't be without a dashcam these days, I unplugged mine a few days ago while my car was in garage getting some work done, Driving car home again I forgot that I had removed it from the windscreen and almost panicked when it wasn't operational. You get use to the security these things give you.

oh yea
    i've seen many dash cam vids where the driver has to manually save clips

is this the norm. I don't want to have to remember every time I need to save a clip

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    In most cases the dashcam is always recording, the manual save tells the camera not to overwrite that section that you want. As depending on the size of the SD card in the camera the camera will constantly overwrite the card (from oldest to newest) as it runs out of space.

thanks for that.

do most cams record also even when the car is not being driven? I've often seen cam clips from parked up cars. i'm guessing they would be hard wired

You can get a permanent battery that you add in with the hard wiring to keep the parking mode going for a long time.

Patww79 wrote: »
    You can get a permanent battery that you add in with the hard wiring to keep the parking mode going for a long time.

so rather than it feed from the cars battery?

I take it the perm battery then recharges itself from the car battery when it is being driven?

• Advertisement

so rather than it feed from the cars battery?

I take it the perm battery then recharges itself from the car battery when it is being driven?

Yep. I always meant to put one in but I'm right on space.

They plug in to your cigarette lighter and charge when the car is in operation
    Blackvue , Thinkware and Celllink seem to be the popular ones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

My wife recently got a new (to her) car and she wants a dashcam fitted. I have no problem hard-wiring it in, but what should I get?
    I want to fit a front and rear cam, that's user friendly, reliable and great video quality.
    Don't mind paying for quality, but not silly money, 2 - 300 budget I suppose?

What should I be looking at?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

kodaline78 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am a taxi driver and am looking to buy a Dash cam. If anyone has a recommendation about a particular model or type i would be grateful. I am looking to spend roughly 50 euros.

Thank You.:)

Can anyone assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

have you any footage off that yet?

I will put some up tomorrow
    Sorry for the delay
    Can anyone assist?

Yes,
    I am extremely happy with the one I bought recently.
    This one >> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173287391920

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Lads who here has a next base 612g ? What No is the latest update? Is it 5.0 or is that an old one

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Lads who here has a next base 612g ? What No is the latest update? Is it 5.0 or is that an old one
    i think thats a older firmware update, the current one for that camera is R05.3 available here https://www.nextbase.com/en-ie/help-and-support/dash-cams-support/612gw-support/

just got the 412 from halfords yesterday, so far so good, have updated the firmware but might get them to email me firmware that removes the nextbase logo from the video, which i think they do but it's not on the website

My wife recently got a new (to her) car and she wants a dashcam fitted. I have no problem hard-wiring it in, but what should I get?
    I want to fit a front and rear cam, that's user friendly, reliable and great video quality.
    Don't mind paying for quality, but not silly money, 2 - 300 budget I suppose?

What should I be looking at?

Thanks

Thinkware F770 is a good model I find
    they also have a new F200 out wich is priced very well
    also are giving a 2 year warranty now

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shirazhyder84

My 2012 VW CC GT. Excellent condition in and out.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/vw-cc-gt-full-service-history/19154296

• Advertisement

Just 3 quick questions on cams before I go looking at various models etc.:

1. Is it possible to wire a dash cam to be also used as a reversing camera, or would that require a 2nd cam? I presume the locations would be different enough to warrant 2 cameras?

2. Does anyone know if a dash cam or reversing cam (or both) can be programmed/wired into the Audi in-car display screens or would it require a second screen?

3. Halfords seem to be offering free installation when you purchase through them....are Halfords a) any good at installation and b) competitive on price?

Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement