Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi men and the ol' "I have no change"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I always ask taxi to *** . Ive only a 50 is that ok. If he says he has no change I get into the next taxi. If I ring a taxi I say the same thing if I have only a 50

• Registered Users Posts: 13,301 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

UDP wrote: »
    Legally there is nothing to say they have to give you change.
    Cedrus wrote: »
    Link to the legislation ? or GTFO

Lol, he can hardly provide the legislation to prove that there is nothing in law to suggest that change is required. All he has claimed is an absence of law, though I suppose he could give you a link to every single law in the state as some sort of grotesquely complicated reverse proof.

Is it not kind of obvious anyway? X provides Y with a service, all the law of the land should insist is that Y provides X with the agreed amount. Up to Y to have the required payment.

If certain retailers provide the facilties for an overpayment/change system then fair enough, but difficult to see why there should be a compulsion on them all to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Prostitute at the end of a fare asks the taxi driver if they can do a contra and she pay the fare with a favour of sorts. They Agree.
    She hops in the back seat spreads her legs and the driver looks around a her crack and and then asks .....
    Would you have anything smaller love?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Reminds me of that hooker that had a slow night and decided to catch a taxi home. When she got there she told the him that she had no money, then she lifted her skirt and said, "Take it outta that!"
    The taxi driver turned round and said her, "Haven't you got anything smaller?"
    uberalles wrote: »
    Prostitute at the end of a fare asks the taxi driver if they can do a contra and she pay the fare with a favour of sorts. They Agree.
    She hops in the back seat spreads her legs and the driver looks around a her crack and and then asks .....
    Would you have anything smaller love?

Scary when you're alone somewhere and all you get is a sort of echo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Flurple

Just walk away,

• Advertisement

Wait,... people still pay for taxi's?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    never ever get a taxi. when in the city we always get the last bus home or a lift off a family member, taxi drivers are hungary greed b#####ds..
    In fairness they are not all hungarian :D

janja wrote: »
    In fairness they are not all hungarian :D

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lol, he can hardly provide the legislation to prove that there is nothing in law to suggest that change is required. All he has claimed is an absence of law, though I suppose he could give you a link to every single law in the state as some sort of grotesquely complicated reverse proof.

Is it not kind of obvious anyway? X provides Y with a service, all the law of the land should insist is that Y provides X with the agreed amount. Up to Y to have the required payment.

If certain retailers provide the facilties for an overpayment/change system then fair enough, but difficult to see why there should be a compulsion on them all to do so.
    With business acumen like that, no wonder you're wearing Armani Jeans!
    It's so simple, just don't give the customer any change...suprising that more businesses don't adopt this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

well the first part is true enough, like any other business, have enough change or close for custom until you get change. The rest is nice to have. Maybe a bit much.The taxi driver apologists are not doing themselves any favours on this thread. I'd say the typical taxi driver mentality would soon disappear were the rest of the business world to act like this to taxi drivers

Taxi driver enters cafe, and orders:

Proprietor: Is that all your having. A fecking cup of tea and a sandwich. I've been waiting for half and hour for fecking custom. Do you know the fecking cost of the rent here?! FFS. Hang on, I'll just sit down there in the seat in front of you and sigh deeply while bitching about the country and the traffic.

later:

Proprietor: What!! Is that all the money you have. Have you anything smaller than a twenty? For fcuks sake. The cost was only eight, which isn't worth my while, did I tell you about mortgage? Feckers. I'll have to go across the road to the properly run business for change then will I? ARE YOU SURE? YEAH? Oh fcuk it, here. Heres your 12 change.

sighs deeply.
    I wish i could thank this post more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

It's hardly certain retailers. It's all of them, from the smallest cafe to international retail. Except Taxi drivers.

There is in fact a law, and the law is simple. You charge the meter. Overcharging is illegal. In fact there are more price controls on Taxis than restaurants.

So if a guy says he has no change of a 50 for a fare of 30 he is attempting to overcharge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If its a relatively short journey I would make sure I would have the change my self,longer journeys like the airport it never was a problem for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

Taxis should be mobile atm's now? Good god.
    If your driver happens to not have change of a fifty get over it ffs.
    Some taxis in other countries are not legally obliged to give change on notes over a twenty.
    It even says it on the door/window of the cab. Safety issues, being robbed/knifed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nearly every Irish driver rounded to the nearest 50 cent when I used to get them. As did I, if it was 9.70 I let him keep a full tenner, if it was 10.30 they would more often than not call it a square 10.

I dont know why they treated me differently to so many of you lot. Maybe because I had a chat and a banter with them and didnt usually regard taxi drivers like dog sh1t on a shoe like some people posting here.

Yep, I usually have a bit of banter with taximen

I give or take to the nearest 50c.
    Sometimes I round up but sure the next taximan will round me down

It all works out in the end

But then I don't use ranks.
    I flag my drivers down so I get no moaning about how long they were waiting.
    Drivers just loooooove to be flagged down, I'm happy and they are happy

pabloh999 wrote: »
    Taxis should be mobile atm's now? Good god.
    If your driver happens to not have change of a fifty get over it ffs.
    Some taxis in other countries are not legally obliged to give change on notes over a twenty.
    It even says it on the door/window of the cab. Safety issues, being robbed/knifed etc

Good for those other countries. Here they are expected to charge the meter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

When I was in Galway one day for an interview for an in-company promotion, I was able to claim my fares back from the company. Got a taxi to the place where the interview was being held, the fare was just under 15 euro. I only had a fifty on me, he had no change and there was nowhere around to get change. The taxi driver had been talking to me about the area in Dublin where I live as his brother also lives there. Because we'd been having a chat and he presumably realised I wasn't a cnut, he asked me would I be needing a taxi back and he could just get it on the way back. He waited around for me to finish the interview, then drove me back to where I needed to go, then only charged me twenty euro for both fares, and turned off the meter while I ran into a shop to get change! Absolutely lovely man. I gave him a ten euro tip, because my fare should have been thirty euro anyway, and he added it as part of the fare to the handwritten receipt so that I could claim it all back anyway.

Best experience with a taxi driver, tbh. I've never had one go mad at me for only having a 50, and because they're nice about it, they get good tips. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

When you're a student, you pay him with change....

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

I had a similar thing a few years ago. Had a job interview and got there about an hour too early and everywhere was shut. I got a taxi to a garage to get something to eat and back again, but I only had a €20 note to pay with. The taxi driver told me she didn't have change but not to worry and I could get her back when I was making loads of money in my new job.

Never forgot it (obviously), and I'd love to see her again and give her a big tip and thanks. It just goes to show how a good deed can stick in your memory. :)
    A bit like my story I posted up earlier in the thread, in that situation I would ask for a card and use them when I needed a taxi from then on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

If they told me they had no change I'd say "You're shít out of luck so". They dont gots the change the dont gets the fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I worked as a taxi driver for three years, and its very easy to get caught short of change.. I'd typically go out with a hundred Euro float, I'd try to have fives and tens.. First fare gives you a fifty for a ten euro fare, now you've a fifty and sixty in change ~ until the next fare does the same and you're f*cked.

Shops are dead wide to you going in to break a fifty for a packet of gum, pubs won't break them either.

And a lot of the times I asked had they anything smaller I was being polite ~ I'd see whats in their purses/wallets and know they'd a stack of smaller notes but wanted to start breaking a fifty before they got to the pub.

There's only so much coin for change you can carry in a car too.

I'd suggest if you only have fifties be straight with the guy and ask him if he's got change.

To the people who post that that they gave smart/snotty answer's to taxi drivers ~ you didn't, you're only trying to look like smart asses on a forum!.. Apart from aggressive drunks almost 100% of people are understanding and decent folk.

• Advertisement

To the people who post that that they gave smart/snotty answer's to taxi drivers ~ you didn't, you're only trying to look like smart asses on a forum!.. Apart from aggressive drunks almost 100% of people are understanding and decent folk.

I'd be understanding to a point but if they drive me to where I'm going and then turn around and tell me they cant break a 20 then its their own fcukin problem. 100% of the time too they have the change they just dont want to put themselves out. 50 would be understandable but anything smaller is just laziness on their part if they make a habit of it. And they must do if shops can see them coming.

People in retail are decent folk too and if they can break a 50 for someone to help em out of a jam they will do it. I worked in retail myself for a few years and did it regularly but certain people will start treating the place like a bank if you let them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Scioch wrote: »
    I worked in retail myself for a few years and did it regularly but certain people will start treating the place like a bank if you let them.

And thats exactly what happens in taxi's, and you get used to noting whats in someone's wallet/purse esp. early on Friday and Saturday evenings because you know they're using you to break the fifties.

Rarely I'd get caught short of coin, those times I'd round down the fare ~ tbh you're not really losing out on too much before someone gives you a stack of coin for a small fare, typically people would pay fiver fares in coin anyway.

Maybe it was just my manner, but I never had anyone get smart if I couldn't break a fifty ~ and it happened regular enough, esp Saturday evenings when people who hit the ATM's before heading into the city.

And thats exactly what happens in taxi's, and you get used to noting whats in someone's wallet/purse esp. early on Friday and Saturday evenings because you know they're using you to break the fifties.

Rarely I'd get caught short of coin, those times I'd round down the fare ~ tbh you're not really losing out on too much before someone gives you a stack of coin for a small fare, typically people would pay fiver fares in coin anyway.

Maybe it was just my manner, but I never had anyone get smart if I couldn't break a fifty ~ and it happened regular enough, esp Saturday evenings when people who hit the ATM's before heading into the city.

Probably has a lot to do with it, you get a certain amount of people in those types of jobs who are just sick and tired of people and just dont have the interest any more in being polite. I'd understand that too, didnt take me long in my job to grow to resent people in general. But as a customer I'm always polite and if someone doesnt want to return the curtsey I'd tend to be fairly short with them. If they cant break a note the problem is ultimately theirs, always was that way for me in retail. Sometimes you'd had to go to a shop close by to find change, I was never rude but taxi drivers seem to be a law unto themselves in that regard, they feel they have licence to speak to people whatever way they want or say anything they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Off topic but my gf was on a work night out last winter, she left the nightclub to come home cause some clown was hassling her. We live a 15min walk from the club but she was nervous walking through town alone at 2am, in heels and freezing cold. She went to the taxi rank and the first two drivers refused the fare on the basis it was too small.

That's happened me before in Dublin.. well my friend who's a guy was the one asking, he went and asked 4 taxis for us and they all said no 'cause the journey was too short, eventually he had to tell the next taxi he would pay him €10 straight if he just took us home, so the taxi guy took the €10 before he started the car and didn't turn on the metre. The fare would've probably only been about a fiver otherwise and that's only because the minimum charge is €4 something. Thought it was crazy we had to do that just to get them to do their job

One time when it was like 4am I had no way home and where I was taxis don't just drive round, you have to ring them, and I only lived less than a 5 minute drive down the road and I knew if I rang a taxi they'd just say the journey was too short and wouldn't do it 'cause I've tried before, so I sat there wondering if I should start walking, then a guard car drove past and asked if I was ok, they ended up offering & giving me a lift home. Taxis should just do their job..

<snipped>And they must do if shops can see them coming.

People in retail are decent folk too and if they can break a 50 for someone to help em out of a jam they will do it. I worked in retail myself for a few years and did it regularly but certain people will start treating the place like a bank if you let them.

Y'mean like taxi drivers who have just given their change away to the guy with a €50 and now need to break it.....

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Y'mean like taxi drivers who have just given their change away to the guy with a €50 and now need to break it.....

yeah, like that.

Shops aint banks. If they refuse someone change you can be sure they've seen the guy before and dont want to put themselves out for the sake of someone else's business. Taxi drivers have brains, dont they ?

Ya reckon if they all got together and brain stormed they could come up with a plan of carrying more change ? Or hire a financial consultant to advise them on when they need to stop at a bank ? You think every business in the country shuts down if more than one person pays with a 50 ?

Shops aint banks. If they refuse someone change you can be sure they've seen the guy before and dont want to put themselves out for the sake of someone else's business. Taxi drivers have brains, dont they ?

Ya reckon if they all got together and brain stormed they could come up with a plan of carrying more change ? Or hire a financial consultant to advise them on when they need to stop at a bank ? You think every business in the country shuts down if more than one person pays with a 50 ?

But you're missing the point that taxis aren't shops, they don't have a secure safe or alarm system to put a €300 float into to keep it relatively safe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

goose2005 wrote: »
    Tear off a quarter of it and give him the rest, that'll soften his cough

Would sudafed not be better..........

• Advertisement

But you're missing the point that taxis aren't shops, they don't have a secure safe or alarm system to put a €1000 float into to keep it relatively safe

Where does the money they take in go ? They keep cash on them and if its a busy night they will end it with quite a few euro. So why the song and dance about starting the night with a bit extra in case they need it ?

Advertisement